PDA

View Full Version : Paladin equipment (str/int additions)

Koet
04-28-2011, 03:21 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been looking through the forums, but I can't really find anything about this.

So right now, at lvl 38, Im using partially the iceberg equipment.
The shield and the axe, to be exact.

But I'm looking forward and I was wondering what equips to get for my next steps.
Should I bother looking for lvl 40 Thoth gear? Which adds INT instead of STR mostly, on the equipments.
I'd say; yes, INT is what you need to get a better spell damage.
But then again, I see many higher level pallys use Fury gear, which adds STR mostly.

I need some advice on this, cause I hate spending gold on a waste.
INT, STR? What equipments should fit after the iceberg stuff?

Thanks a lot!

kamikazees
04-28-2011, 04:56 AM
My short answer is that unless u can find cheap lvl 40 thoth eq, no, do not buy it. My memory is that lvl 40 thoth eq is pretty rare, ie expensive. Being a paladin requires different stats and eq strategy depending on your level.

Where you are now, you will probably be better off in iceberg gear until level 45. I'd go ahead and buy the plate for that matter. You can use it for seven more levels, then sell it back in the cs and probably break even.

At level 45, go for thoth gear, except get a luminous harpoon for your weapon. I think you will need to have 142 strength to wear all of this gear (unless you use booster gear and equip your harpoon, which will save you a few points).

The reason you see paladins in fury gear at level 55 is because that's the "paladin" gear at that level. The most common build requires 139 strength, but it can be done as low as 125 strength with the right (and a lot) of booster gear. Good luck.

Koet
04-28-2011, 05:09 AM
What I dont get though, is that such equipments add STR (12 I believe), while other gear adds INT.
And as known, INT adds spell damage to the skills mages use.

Is there a reason for that?
Wouldnt it be better to use equipment that adds INT in stead of STR?
I've been struggling with this for quite some time now..
Cause after all, paladins just use the bear equipment for their survivability...

A quick questions aswell;
How are paladins accept in future dungeons?
Right now, I'm litterly owning the Alien part, I can tank and kill pretty fast.
Or are pure INT mages accept more cause of their better damage?
(I could probably search for this, but hey.. we are here anyway ;p)

Zeazety
04-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Generally the stats on the gear (hit, m/s, critical, etc) are worth a lot more than the primary stats such as strength or int. So 6 m/s on +strength gear will be much better than 2 m/s on +int gear.

The stats on fury are ideal regardless of strength. For a paladin there isn't any int gear that compares.

neko
05-04-2011, 11:28 AM
What I dont get though, is that such equipments add STR (12 I believe), while other gear adds INT.
And as known, INT adds spell damage to the skills mages use.

Is there a reason for that?
Wouldnt it be better to use equipment that adds INT in stead of STR?
I've been struggling with this for quite some time now..
Cause after all, paladins just use the bear equipment for their survivability...

A quick questions aswell;
How are paladins accept in future dungeons?
Right now, I'm litterly owning the Alien part, I can tank and kill pretty fast.
Or are pure INT mages accept more cause of their better damage?
(I could probably search for this, but hey.. we are here anyway ;p)

It depends on your objective. For some, they are equiping gear to add additional points to tweak their attributes to improve armor and health (STR) or skill damage and mana (INT) or DPS (DEX). Others use the gear as boosters to allow them to wear equipment with higher minimum spec requirements. This is especially the case with dual-spec characters.

I've been running a dual-spec Mage for some time. In cases where there isn't a tank, I'll equip her in a Fury Fighter set and run the map as a Pally. As you already know, a Pally's task is to take point and take aggro from enemies protecting your team as they lay waste on them. You are also tasked to stay alive and spam heal your team and revive as necessary. Unfortunately, the damage from her skills are noticeably reduced but that's why you rely on your teammates to inflict the damage. When you engage any of the Sewer bosses, your reduced damage will put you at a big disadvantage as those fights will take more time. Depending on the strength/pace of your teammates, I will switch into a staff (hence the versatility of being dual-spec'ed) or Gemstone wand to help but at the expense of reduced armor/dodge and increasing my chance of deaths. It happens and if you're the only mage in the team, your only recourse is to respawn at the start and do the walk of shame or pay 2 plats to respawn on the spot.

As an end-game Pally, we're generally well accepted, especially in harder maps like Catacombs where there are plenty of fireball throwing enemies and firepits.

kamikazees
05-04-2011, 11:51 AM
As an end-game Pally, we're generally well accepted, especially in harder maps like Catacombs where there are plenty of fireball throwing enemies and firepits.
This is correct. I've never seen someone booted just because they are a Pally. I play a full int staff mage (glass cannon!) and like it if my counterpart is a Pally because I am a little more free to nuke instead of having to worry about whether the other mage is going to stay alive to be able to cause damage. Honestly, the best party setup I've been in during a sewers run is 1 bear tank, 2 birds, 1 pally and me. That party, while rare, will rock the house.

As for equipment, take into consideration that Thoth eq is what I call "cross-stat" eq. It has a strength requirement but adds bonus to int, which is not like Osiris eq (str req and str bonus). You don't have cross-stat choice for bear armor at lvl 55, which is why almost all Pallys go for Fury eq, or mix and match green/orange/purp sewer gear.