PDA

View Full Version : Kite - Game Term

ranonman
04-29-2011, 12:01 AM
I thought I should explain this specific term - "Kite". I join random group and telling them to "kite" <fill here>.

It may bother me when people who don't know the game definition of "kite".

So, let's find out the definition of this "kite". This is coming from UrbanDictionary.com

Kite

1. (verb) A term in video gaming and elsewhere to describe when a ranged fighter skirmishes with a hand-to-hand fighter by running and shooting. This can have 2 purposes: a) to damage the enemy while staying outside of hand-to-hand range, or b) to make the enemy follow you so you can lead them to a specific location

So basically, this is one of essential strategies in many and many games. You can simply run around the room while you are attacking the <high or low lvl> mob(s) with the possibilities of losing a little or no health (like not getting attacked).

Hope this helps! :)

Edit: Changed my words

Otukura
04-29-2011, 12:05 AM
dun hate those people.

So many players to this game have never even played another rpg like this. They're are nice vets tho. Met a level 33 in PVP yesterday, was farming lower levels, and he sees 3v1 and me repeatedly destroying them. He knew everything about twinks. His K/D was amazing, even with some of the cheapest gear imaginable. I'll be following him closely. :P
Might have to give him some stuff...

ranonman
04-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Heh, you're right - there are many people have amazing experiences except one or few things they don't know about. But doesn't it frustrate you when you are trying to accomplish/complete the game?

Otukura
04-29-2011, 12:14 AM
It does frustrate me, at one point I had the definition copied and pasted, so I'd spew it out if someone didn't know it.

Hey, for the past one-two weeks, I've sorta quit my end game char and have just lvl'd other's twinks and done low level dungeons.

davidis57
04-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Since GCD its one of the only ways to keep my archer alive is to kite. In shadow caves today I had no room to change directions and kite this shadow boss. If you have narrow passages you can draw aggro and have no place to go but if you have room and need to pull him the other way you wont die. kiting works great except in small spaces.

JaytB
04-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Generally I would agree with not liking uninformed people much, but I have to admit that it took me a while to get what it meant to 'kite'. Having never played an MMO before or English not being my native language, certainly helped with that. So to say, you 'loathe' people who don't understand a specific therm, is taking it a bit far IMO

Otukura
04-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Generally I would agree with not liking uninformed people much, but I have to admit that it took me a while to get what it meant to 'kite'. Having never played an MMO before or English not being my native language, certainly helped with that. So to say, you 'loathe' people who don't understand a specific therm, is taking it a bit far IMO

Perfectly worded! *claps*

It's up to the people who to know teach those who don't.

ranonman
04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
It's not like I'm going to hate them forever. Of course, I tried my best to teach them what they can do with this strategy. I joined several groups and when things are not working out, I always let them know that there is another way and give them an explanation. Sorry, I might have not use right word to describe my feeling.

Oewaden
04-29-2011, 01:48 PM
It's not like I'm going to hate them forever. Of course, I tried my best to teach them what they can do with this strategy. I joined several groups and when things are not working out, I always let them know that there is another way and give them an explanation. Sorry, I might have not use right word to describe my feeling.

I can understand why you were frustrated, I was in that group with you last night, however, that person that didn't understand "kite" seemed fairly new, but pretty nice. I explained to them how not to destroy the bins before you got there (already died a couple times after they kept blowing up bins), and the person you asked to kite understood and thanked me, and mentioned he had no idea. With him not knowing what it meant, I can understand why that method didn't work out too well either. I didn't worry about the less than stellar run and looked at it as a learning experience for them. Maybe next time they run it they'll have better luck.

The other person that just walked up to bins and started attacking them as soon as they showed up either didn't understand what we were saying over and over again, or didn't care, lol.

Snakespeare
04-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Since GCD its one of the only ways to keep my archer alive is to kite. In shadow caves today I had no room to change directions and kite this shadow boss. If you have narrow passages you can draw aggro and have no place to go but if you have room and need to pull him the other way you wont die. kiting works great except in small spaces.

I have an answer for kiting in narrow corridors. I take the boss on a joy ride down a long hallway, then turn and run past him while throwing Repulse Shot, and kite him back the other way until Repulse Shot cooldown ends, then I turn and go the other way, shooting Repulse as I go by again. This does result in a few successful hits from the boss sometimes. It's not foolproof. But it is the only way I can do it, especially in the caves.

Fyrce
04-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Any knockback skill works. With mage, I make sure I have firestorm ready and use it as I turn and run past boss. I also make sure I'm ready to spam hp pots in case I get stuck somehow. Mostly it works, but of course, not foolproof.

It's also a good way to run off with a Shadow guy while rest of team is taking care of other(s). Kite it back when others seem a little less busy.