PDA

View Full Version : How do you give gifts effectively???

Snakespeare
04-29-2011, 04:44 PM
I wish to find a more effective way to help new players get better gear.

First I tried just giving away pinks. I would go to FH or BC and say "free pinks", but the people who took them weren't the right levels, and might have just liquidated for gp.

Second, I farmed up FH for level 10 items and gave away greens, but believe it or not, "free green items level 10" does not get many takers.

Third (yesterday), I tried listing items for well below the other sellers in CS, but all that happened was that one wealthy player bought them all within about an hour and relisted them!

So my next attempt will be to list low level items for low cost in CS, but avoid undercutting any others. I am thinking like minimum pricing. And I hope nobody buys them all like yesterday.

Wouldn't it be cool if we had a place like a Goodwill version of CS where you can put things you would like to give away? Even so, there would still be the re-listers who would take them and sell them in CS...

Does anyone have an EFFECTIVE way to give things to new folks? I mean as opposed to just giving them liquidation items?

Kossi
04-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Does anyone have an EFFECTIVE way to give things to new folks? I mean as opposed to just giving them liquidation items?

give them a nature rod, tell em its rare and its worth MILLIONS, but they can only sell/use it once they buy all the packs and level to 50 XD

Arterra
04-29-2011, 04:47 PM
you need to go LOOKING for them.

all you ask is if they are new here. if they say yes, gift them right then and there. you can wait for the thank you, friend request, or MOAR response, but better to just leave to find another random new player to gift.

Gluttony
04-29-2011, 04:56 PM
The only effective way I have been able to do is your first option, but there are no really good weapons that low. I used to farm Mojo and give out his pinks (level 19 I think). Anything else would be monopolized by other players (like the CS option). I know you meant well, but that just had disaster written all over it. People are too gold hungry to actually be willing to help others out, guess everyone has caught that GGGOOOLLLDDD FFFEEEVVVEEERRR!

I tried handing out gems once (maybe 10) they were gone in seconds and may have ended up on CS, if not I guess it would encourage the low leveled players to farm for the recipies and get themselves some nice gear. They can't liquidate them so that's one problem solved.

Gaddy
04-29-2011, 04:59 PM
I gift people i talk to in balefort sometimes. I just see the stuff they have (noobs usually have garbage) and I buy them some better stuff in the CS. What good is gold if you cannot spread it around to people who both need it and DESERVE it ? Right?

if I know they're about to level up to something dramatically better, I sometimes buy them that and tell them to hold onto it.

Arterra
04-29-2011, 05:13 PM
if I know they're about to level up to something dramatically better, I sometimes buy them that and tell them to hold onto it.

I love giving people lv45 spears and telling them that it has a break armor ability, one of the best weapons you can use.

Pandamoni
04-29-2011, 05:16 PM
I will go around and see if anything I have will help them (by clicking on the give box and seeing what it does to their stats) and then I just give it to them and run away. Sometimes I'll run lower levels with my low levels and if someone is really pulling their weight I'll unload a bunch of stuff on them.

Gluttony
04-29-2011, 05:16 PM
give them a nature rod, tell em its rare and its worth MILLIONS, but they can only sell/use it once they buy all the packs and level to 50 XD

...omg

I love giving people lv45 spears and telling them that it has a break armor ability, one of the best weapons you can use.

...OMG, you guys are evil *pulls out notepad* this is the stuff gold is made from!

Snakespeare
04-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Arterra, that's very cool, to give them knowledge along with the gift. :)

nono... gluttony... it really does break armor

Gluttony
04-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Arterra, that's very cool, to give them knowledge along with the gift. :)

nono... gluttony... it really does break armor

It breaks armor??!! Where were you in April (2010) when I was a low leveled noob?

Edit: B) Level 45 Spears... all of them for undisclosed amount of gold to be named at a later date.

Lesrider
04-29-2011, 05:25 PM
I didn't read all this... Just skimmed a bit.
But I remember when I was a little newb, it was nice when someone gave me something I needed while we were playing -- even if it was a purple. They gave me something that was better than what I had, and I thought it was cool.
I think that's the best way to give them out -- after playing with them, seeing them tryig and not begging for anything. When it did happen, it was just a really nice surprise, and not something I came to expect form all higher lvl players. I think if you just give too many things away in town, noobs will get accustomed to it. Also, there's the problem of low lvl noobs with junk ao3 pinks that aren't worth 500g. They usually get them from high lvl players and they think they're worth something and try to trade it off on someone like they have the Holy Grail to offer.

I think it's best to make sure you're only giving newbs something they can use right then or in a level or two.

Arterra
04-29-2011, 05:27 PM
It breaks armor??!! Where were you in April (2010) when I was a low leveled noob?

Edit: B) Level 45 Spears... all of them for undisclosed amount of gold to be named at a later date.

all spears, tridents, and forks have it. a stackable -15 (i think) armor break.
lances also have it, but it cannot be stacked. also, it might be -20 for a lance...

Conradin
04-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Ive given out alot of free pinks. Go kto a towne and say "say hi or a free pink!" and when they say hi, give em an item they can use for their class when the get higher up. I have people tell me a few weeks later thx for giving me that pink, it made me want to lvl up and use it.

Diodge
04-29-2011, 05:42 PM
I will go around and see if anything I have will help them (by clicking on the give box and seeing what it does to their stats) and then I just give it to them and run away. Sometimes I'll run lower levels with my low levels and if someone is really pulling their weight I'll unload a bunch of stuff on them.
^^ I use this. or

We call it ninja giveing.

I use search group thing. I set the level to the items im giveing away. I enter games at random(no cities). I check there gear against what im giveing away. If its a upgrade they get it. I run off.

Roasty
04-29-2011, 06:18 PM
In my opinion, the goodwill cs would is a good idea, especially for those for really need something but doesn't have the cash...well sorta. Not unless some greedy person takes everything without even spending a single penny... :(

Gluttony
04-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Not unless some greedy person takes everything without even spending a single penny... :(

You know it'll happen, there would have to be some sort of requirements to be able to get anything out of the shop (level >10, gold >10k on all accounts, >10 total in-game hours), just too much work when you think about it actually.

Fyrce
04-29-2011, 07:28 PM
OMG, I pretty much do what Pandemoni said, although sometimes I don't run away very fast. LOL. I have a designated low-mid level character who isn't too conspicuous go to Dark Forest or play in Dark Forest and check out people's stats and give them stuff they can use or are close to being able to use. This includes purples and low level greens. Depends on which seem rare and useful. Obviously, if people are geared up or I can't check their stats, they get nothing.

I usually drop a high level pink or six on them at the same time. Clears my inventory and if they make money off of the high level items or it gives them something to aspire to, that's fine. Generally I have so much that everybody in that town will get an item, assuming I have an item they can use.

Hopefully, they get a little use out of the stuff and I get to spread a little bit of happiness.

Tiliana
04-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I do the same thing as Pandamoni as well. First I check to see if they have been working hard for where they are (kill count and quest lists since it is all I have to go on). Then I use the give option to check their stats to what I have that could help them in the now. I love to do it in random dungeon maps. I'll join an instance and go through the players in there, drop some weapons if they look like hard working players and then pop out before they have a chance to do or say anything.

Ladylove
04-29-2011, 08:45 PM
You know. I try to do nice things all the time and barely anyone says thanks. I'll stand in town and pick people, flip through my inventory, and give items that will be useful. If they don't say anything, I'll say "try that on, it's better". Sometimes, they'll just put it on and walk away. Some people even have the audacity to say "I don't like this one, give me a different one". YOU WILL TAKE WHAT I GIVE YOU AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!

Ayrilana
04-29-2011, 08:47 PM
You know. I try to do nice things all the time and barely anyone says thanks. I'll stand in town and pick people, flip through my inventory, and give items that will be useful. If they don't say anything, I'll say "try that on, it's better". Sometimes, they'll just put it on and walk away. Some people even have the audacity to say "I don't like this one, give me a different one". YOU WILL TAKE WHAT I GIVE YOU AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!

Give me a cookie and I'll say thanks! :)

Ladylove
04-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Give me a cookie and I'll say thanks! :)

How bout some charm?

Potawto
04-29-2011, 08:50 PM
The most effective way i have found is to play on my low level str mage and run maps with other low levs. whenever i get a drop (i don't really care how good or bad it is, as long as it's good for their stats) i ask them what helm, wep/wep&shield, or armor they have equipped. If my drop is better, for example, once when i looted a 25 snipers avian helmet and they had a white level 19 helm when they were 27, i give it to them and continue running, rinsing, and repeating.

Ayrilana
04-29-2011, 08:54 PM
How bout some charm?

Sure

/10char

Ladylove
04-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Sure

/10char

+20 charm!

Fyrce
04-29-2011, 08:59 PM
I've had people come back to town to thank me, so I think there are definitely appreciative people. Like Pandemoni, et. al., since most of the time I'm trying to hide, being thanked isn't necessary and not something I'm expecting. I might have had ONE person try to ask me for something, but I've been doing this since last year and never had any problems.

I also do something simiilar to Potawto, which is run my low levels (sometimes I'm farming, sometimes I'm leveling, sometimes I'm just bored :P ) through low level dungeons and I'll give dropped items to group members that can use those items (dex to dex, str to str, etc) and give junk for them to liquidate. Most of the time, they start giving me stuff my low level can use, which is pretty funny and super sweet.

There are definitely lots of nice players out there and I admit to getting much enjoyment out of surprising them.

Ayrilana
04-29-2011, 08:59 PM
+20 charm!

http://s.myniceprofile.com/myspacepic/514/51429.jpg

Ladylove
04-29-2011, 09:02 PM
http://s.myniceprofile.com/myspacepic/514/51429.jpg

My pleasure :) (curse you Chick-fil-A phrases)

Tiliana
04-29-2011, 09:12 PM
My pleasure :) (curse you Chick-fil-A phrases)

I love that phrase. I get a chick-fil-a spicy chicken burrito every morning on my way to work. It makes me hungry just seeing it written! :)

Ladylove
04-29-2011, 09:15 PM
I love that phrase. I get a chick-fil-a spicy chicken burrito every morning on my way to work. It makes me hungry just seeing it written! :)

I hate it. I accidentally say it outside of work. I did have two 4-count minis this morning though :) the rolls were fresh too.

Tiliana
04-29-2011, 09:19 PM
I hate it. I accidentally say it outside of work. I did have two 4-count minis this morning though :) the rolls were fresh too.

There are worse things you could say out of habit....I have a running joke at work where I talk about everyone's mom...I do it so much, it slips out at very, very inopportune times.:p

LADYHADASSA
04-29-2011, 09:22 PM
I wish to find a more effective way to help new players get better gear.

First I tried just giving away pinks. I would go to FH or BC and say "free pinks", but the people who took them weren't the right levels, and might have just liquidated for gp.

Second, I farmed up FH for level 10 items and gave away greens, but believe it or not, "free green items level 10" does not get many takers.

Third (yesterday), I tried listing items for well below the other sellers in CS, but all that happened was that one wealthy player bought them all within about an hour and relisted them!

So my next attempt will be to list low level items for low cost in CS, but avoid undercutting any others. I am thinking like minimum pricing. And I hope nobody buys them all like yesterday.

Wouldn't it be cool if we had a place like a Goodwill version of CS where you can put things you would like to give away? Even so, there would still be the re-listers who would take them and sell them in CS...

in general when i give usable gear i take the time to watch and read. In forest haven you will see a lvl 9 player you know they need ten gear, i just simpley shower them with the gear they need, with a simple hope that helps, and then a question can you give me your word if you dont use or need these items you will GIVE them to another? I forever get a yes,

You can tell new people to game if you see amlowmlvl with excellent stats and geared they are prob a high lvl playernwith a twink.

I have met many nice people doing this, from lvl 2-56! Yes some will sell off ohnwell. But most out thengear right on ...if the item has value.. Let them know not to sell off the item but save it because it is worth "xyz"

Many many times i have gotten random pinks from players the ones i have helped along the way, i forever tell them they owe me nothing but... They feel somone will get the item who needs it. :)

The PAY IT FORWARD system works :)

Whirlzap
04-29-2011, 09:25 PM
SELLING
A
R
M
O
R
B
R
E