PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a NewBear

Cubeboy
04-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Hello, my name is jon, I have a new bear(account in general) named cubeboy, been playing for a few days, lv 24 atm. First off, thanks for all ur great guides. After I found the game (searching for solid rpgs on android.. like finding an honest politician in D.C.) and played around a bit, I visited these forums. I hadn't spent any points, was trying to find a solid player to help me with a build, but these forums had all the answers.
[Question section in keeping with title]

#1 Is my build ok?
Im going for tank, but I decided after reading many threads that no dex is no good. Still wanna tank mostly so im going for max 111 or so dex rest into str. Is this good or should I go pure str anyway?(speaking purely pve here)

#2 What skills? Only one I've done much with is I got beckon lv5 right when I got it(have never used beckon 1-4) and it has served me well. Im thinking I want beckon/buffs at 6 no restore, not sure about stomp over lv3 and I have NO idea which slash to lvl. I don't think I wanna get em all to 5, I can't see that helping me like that extra buff lvl.
Quick comment: +10 brownie points to whatever dev came up with beckon. You sir, are amazing.

#3 My saddest question... is it always like this? I always try, in every game, to be who's needed to fill a gap. Usually I end up a priest/healer but tanks were lacking here. So im sword n shield, str n armor guy. I've invested in buffs/beckon and I know how to taunt-beckon-stomp a group to a corner(still improving but im decent) yet... my teammates push em away, or go in first, maybe they don't aoe, sometimes no healing effort, running around attacking the unit i could agro if they paused. Rediculous stuff. My quick msgs consist of "plz heal the tank" "let me go in 1st n group them" "use aoe on them" because I would type it too much. I know all you vets know the roles.. but do you still play? Content is mostly free now, am I doomed to this until lv 50 or I find enuf friends to avoid pubs? I know im being a little dramatic, but its frustrating when a team works like a team, owns a room in moments, then goes back to anarchy for the rest of the dungeon.

Sorry for the frustration at 3, but im sure you've experienced it as well. Thank you in advance for the advice. (Any extra tanking strat appreciated) I am glad to have the opportunity to be in a community like this.

Ellyidol
04-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Welcome, first of all! :)

Always happy to see a fellow bear. If you haven't read some of my ursan guides yet, since you said you might have, I suggest you to.

I'll go into detail in replying to your questions when I'm back home. Too long to type in a phone :p

masterx3
04-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Welcome bro im new too
Just check the stickies

Xymorg
04-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Welcome :)

For #1 & #2 my advice is to listem to Ellyidol.

#3 there's no answer that can help. Players play as they will & not all are going to meet your expectations, but some will exceed them. I find getting wiped in a noobfest pug once in a while just makes it all the sweeter when you do hook up with a pro crew where everyone knows/does their jobs. Just have fun & the rest takes care of itself.

Mr.Wallace
04-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Welcome to the game and to the forums! :-)

1) The most guides (mine too) only describe how your spec can be once you are level 50 or 55. I'm working on a mini guide on how to spend your point while leveling so that you end up with the desired level 50 spec.
And the really short version: Imo as a level 30 you want a 94 str, 60 dex spec. As a 35 you want 112 str and 67 dex. So that should be your next goals.

2) Being a tank you might want to put points into Beckon and the defense skills - Evade and Iron Blood.
For the slashes, I noticed most times I only use one of them, and when the cooldown is through and I would use slash number two, the mob is already dead. That's why I only concentrated points in one slash - and that should be Super Mega Slash. Next best one would be Vengeful.
But in my opinion, the skill every bear should put a lot lot of points in, no matter if you ar tank or damage dealer: Rage. Life is much easier when you are Rage buffed at a high level, so I try to max that one out as early as possible.

3) Sigh. The only help I can give, whenever you play with someone around your level who seems to want to work as a team too, add them! :-)
I have some farming characters between level 12 and 35 and it's rare to find good teamwork there. And giving friendly (really!) advice mostly gets me booted or ends with someone swearing and leaving.
But hang in there, it will get better and better! :-)

Ellyidol
04-30-2011, 05:42 AM
Hello, my name is jon, I have a new bear(account in general) named cubeboy, been playing for a few days, lv 24 atm. First off, thanks for all ur great guides. After I found the game (searching for solid rpgs on android.. like finding an honest politician in D.C.) and played around a bit, I visited these forums. I hadn't spent any points, was trying to find a solid player to help me with a build, but these forums had all the answers.
[Question section in keeping with title]

#1 Is my build ok?
Im going for tank, but I decided after reading many threads that no dex is no good. Still wanna tank mostly so im going for max 111 or so dex rest into str. Is this good or should I go pure str anyway?(speaking purely pve here)

#2 What skills? Only one I've done much with is I got beckon lv5 right when I got it(have never used beckon 1-4) and it has served me well. Im thinking I want beckon/buffs at 6 no restore, not sure about stomp over lv3 and I have NO idea which slash to lvl. I don't think I wanna get em all to 5, I can't see that helping me like that extra buff lvl.
Quick comment: +10 brownie points to whatever dev came up with beckon. You sir, are amazing.

#3 My saddest question... is it always like this? I always try, in every game, to be who's needed to fill a gap. Usually I end up a priest/healer but tanks were lacking here. So im sword n shield, str n armor guy. I've invested in buffs/beckon and I know how to taunt-beckon-stomp a group to a corner(still improving but im decent) yet... my teammates push em away, or go in first, maybe they don't aoe, sometimes no healing effort, running around attacking the unit i could agro if they paused. Rediculous stuff. My quick msgs consist of "plz heal the tank" "let me go in 1st n group them" "use aoe on them" because I would type it too much. I know all you vets know the roles.. but do you still play? Content is mostly free now, am I doomed to this until lv 50 or I find enuf friends to avoid pubs? I know im being a little dramatic, but its frustrating when a team works like a team, owns a room in moments, then goes back to anarchy for the rest of the dungeon.

Sorry for the frustration at 3, but im sure you've experienced it as well. Thank you in advance for the advice. (Any extra tanking strat appreciated) I am glad to have the opportunity to be in a community like this.

Mr.Wallace has answered your questions pretty much, just want to add my opinion too.

1. For PvE only, I'd recommend having high enough dex, I've never recommended pure strength for either PvE/PvP. Just to make it easier, I'd probably do a 3:2 Str/Dex every level you gain. It'll give you enough strength to use equipment, but still high enough dex anyway.

2. It'll depend on what kind of bear your after. Since you mentioned no PvP, restore is pretty much useless in PvE. Like Wallace said, Rage 6 is a must. More than that though, Beckon, Stomp, Buffs/Debuffs should all be at 6. That means Hell Scream, Crushing Blow, Evade and Iron Blood. My favourite slash is SMS (Super Mega Slash), followed by Vengeful. Crippling slash is just too long of a CD and it just doesn't time well with all the other skills.

3. It's normal. Thats what PUGs are, just messy and un-organized, but that's also when you get to meet new friends and good players :)

Good luck! We'll be here if you need any help.

Cubeboy
04-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the short term str/dex goals Mr.Wallace, that'll help me guide my progress a lot. Good info on the skills too from you and Ellyidol. A lot of the guides didn't seem as clear mid level, like which to lv first, but I think for me armor buffs>hs>debuff slashes. One more q tho, I read that taunt didn't need to be leveled really. Does it increase in effectiveness per lvl like beckon where taunt lv6 would incite mass agro pretty much regardless of other variables or is it less noticeable?

Ellyidol
04-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the short term str/dex goals Mr.Wallace, that'll help me guide my progress a lot. Good info on the skills too from you and Ellyidol. A lot of the guides didn't seem as clear mid level, like which to lv first, but I think for me armor buffs>hs>debuff slashes. One more q tho, I read that taunt didn't need to be leveled really. Does it increase in effectiveness per lvl like beckon where taunt lv6 would incite mass agro pretty much regardless of other variables or is it less noticeable?

No problem, I do agree though that my guides are targeted to end-game only, and have little emphasis on the building up. Will work on that.

I've tested Taunt for awhile now, and the only reason why you bring Taunt up more than 1 is because of the dodge buff it gives. You can stack Taunt twice, meaning you get the +8 dodge buff x2, giving 16 dodge.

If you only want Taunt to gain aggro, 1 should suffice.

Cubeboy
04-30-2011, 11:48 AM
They should add more agro value. Should I level taunt early with my buffs?

skavenger216
04-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Figured it might be useful for you, here's my lvl 56 build on Skavengr. My apologies, I don't have any software to rotate it.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb372/skavenger216/snap20110429_171055.png

Because I know it will probably get asked, my evade buff is only 2 because my gear + taunt stacking gives me more than enough dodge, I rarely get hit. I've even considered getting rid of it entirely and putting the 2 points into my debuffs.