PDA

View Full Version : Question about farming

xRaNdU
04-29-2011, 10:51 PM
When farming for different items (not recipes) is it better to lets use an example, farm with a level 15 to get pink lvl 14 or 15 items? Or is it just completely random no matter what character you use.I always see the pinks going to the lower levels in games.

Ellyidol
04-29-2011, 10:54 PM
It's the same no matter what character. Level, race, stats, skills, or gear doesn't change the chances (except the luck hat of course).

The only reason you use a low level to farm the gear is to scale them down or to just give you a challenge.

xRaNdU
04-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Sorry, what do you mean to scale down?

Ellyidol
04-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Sorry, what do you mean to scale down?

Some gear, except the premium named pinks starting at level 50 (Void/Raid), can be reduced in level if you use characters low level enough.

Take for example the level 10 pinks. The usual drops if you use a level 55 to farm them would be 12/14 I think. Using a level 10 would allow the drop to scale down to level 10. Note that the entire group must be level 10, and enough mobs must be killed to reduce the mob color. It's more complex than usual farming, I'm not too familiar with it either, but that's how I understand it.

xRaNdU
04-29-2011, 11:19 PM
You just lost me at mob color ^^ sorry lol

masterx3
04-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Lol so farming is allowed?

xRaNdU
05-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Some gear, except the premium named pinks starting at level 50 (Void/Raid), can be reduced in level if you use characters low level enough.

Take for example the level 10 pinks. The usual drops if you use a level 55 to farm them would be 12/14 I think. Using a level 10 would allow the drop to scale down to level 10. Note that the entire group must be level 10, and enough mobs must be killed to reduce the mob color. It's more complex than usual farming, I'm not too familiar with it either, but that's how I understand it.

Can somebody answer what she means by reducing mob color? Does she mean the color next to their health? If so they're always one color.... Right?

Fyrce
05-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Gear level is generally determined by group level. An area has a max level in its gear drops.

So for example, generally Dark Forest drops max level 14. So if you run a level 55 through there, you will drop Level 14 gear. There are some exceptions, such as the Secret Grate and the King's Forest. That's for the max level of your group.

If your group's max level is lower, you can drop lower level gear. So like in Forest Haven, if everyone's level 6, you drop level 6 gear. If anyone's level 10 or above, you drop level 10 gear.

So someone tried this in Dark Forest, running level 10s and discovered you can drop level 10 Dark Forest gear. However... there was catch. If you are a level 10 and start a Dark Forest dungeon, you will see that most of the mobs CON as a yellow or red threat level. Threat level is that little circle you see next to the mob you are attacking's heal bar. Just look next time you attack something. There are lots of colors but what's relevant here is that a level 10 in Dark Forest fighting a yellow or red threat circle drops level 11 or 12 items.

So someone discovered that you can consistently drop level 10 items and it had to do with the color of the threat circle. Which also lead to another discovery: that the threat circle color not only was affected by the player's level, but also by the party level, the number of party members and the number of mobs left in the map. So for Dark Forest, you need to kill enough mobs to drop the threat level to white before killing the boss. Then the dropped items are level 10.

This leads, of course, to testing in other areas. Not all areas scale or scale that much. Mostly new areas scale. And not all pinks scale, as someone else posted.

I have to say, though, that scaling is VERY cool.

xRaNdU
05-01-2011, 09:35 PM
That is some very confusing stuff, so just to make sure I get this, if I solo with my lvl 10, then start a dungeon it will be yellow. If I kill enough mob members it will be white which therefore gives me a better chance for a 10 drop?

Fyrce
05-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Go try it. You will see pretty quickly the item drop levels when you are level 10, when a level 50 joins, when a level 13 joins, etc.
Then the question is how low can you go, as in how low can you get the items to drop for that area.
Obviously if it's a common item, i.e. it's got multiple level drops already in multiple areas, it's not worth finding out.
However, so some gear, it's definitely worth it to get it at a low level. So like for example, a PINK armor from Dark Forest dropped at level 10.

Mikeana
05-01-2011, 09:55 PM
no wonder everytime i farm i do it wrong haha, i am always running through the plac killing everything and not watching circle,

xRaNdU
05-01-2011, 10:19 PM
I mean it works, I got my first purple level 10 drop before I bumped this thread back up. So basically plain and simple, whatever drop your wanting be that level. I just want lvl 10 drops so i've been soloing forest haven and dark forest the last two hours. Its a lot more rewarding than just running through with a lvl 45 because then I wouldnt get anything really that rare besides max level drops. But level 10 and 15 twink weapons/armor is where the money's at that's why im trying to farm it. And better believe as soon as sandstone comes out, that place is going to be crawling with farmers.

Ellyidol
05-01-2011, 10:23 PM
On a side note, I'm a HE.

xRaNdU
05-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Lol whooops ('.')' sorry about the mixup. Just the name threw me off