PDA

View Full Version : Praising AL in its Glory Days

Zylx
08-11-2015, 12:51 AM
Let's hop on the SpaceTIME Machine and visit AL in its youthful, vibrant phase of its life. What made it tick? What got it to tock? And how did it draw so many gamers to Spacetime Games?

The answer is simple... no really, the answer is SIMPLE. AL's simplistic pick-up and go nature enthused many players, including myself. The game was very easy to understand, yet very interesting to explore. What separated AL from major MMO's like Order & Chaos and World of Warcraft is that there isn't too much to understand. You don't need to have an extensive background in MMO gaming to breeze through AL. There wasn't a whole gnit-picky crafting system, there were no substantially powerful equipment, end-game was casual and fun. Back then, you had no Arcanes or Mythics to gamble for. The best gear was fully farmable and free to farm for.

As a casual gamer, I feel as though AL has outgrown me. Nowadays, you either have to pay out a substantial amount of money to buy yourself to the top, or you have to work your butt off day and night to step it up. I currently am not capable for neither, and so I am lacking in the time and energy to keep up with my friends. I've always been one to play for fun, but when play becomes work, I don't have the drive to do it.

If Spacetime ever considers releasing a new mmorpg, I hope they take the early days as an inspiration and the later days as an experimental mistake. Ever since I began AL, I've loved the game and the developer all the same. I love Spacetime Studios. You guys no doubt work very hard, but just not down the straightforward path that everyone else would prefer. You take risks, sometimes they pay off, but often times they don't. You have many surprisingly great ideas, but also some that crash and burn. You guys are sure as hell resilient and determined to make AL successful, and I commend you for that. Even though AL has not gone down a road that would peak my interest, I know there are many others that still really enjoy AL.

This uproar that came out of the Ursoth Event is a prime example of your resilience. Normally when a large group of people look back on my hard work and moan, whine, and complain about the stupidest little things, I give up. But you guys are stepping up and taking control over everything. I still see the love you have for AL. I know it's still there.

In conclusion as a retired player, I'm proud of my experience with AL. I enjoyed the memories and fun times that came about when slaughtering things with other players. Although AL doesn't appeal to me anymore, I'm glad it's still in development and I look forward to the day I may raise my blade once again. Until then, keep up the hard work STS.

epicrrr
08-11-2015, 01:41 AM
Still vibrant imo more and more coming down to low lvl pvp but still play their endgame and vice verza seen a handful of 13s going 46 lately lol. Compared back then now is more fun you see many competitive players.

Dimitrian
08-11-2015, 04:54 AM
Yeah,i remember those times when is started the game. back in s4.

In fact,i never hered about Spacetime Studios or AL before i saw one of my classmates playing it on his phone during a break.

The game was fun then,there were no such Weapons of mass destruction such as SnS or Nekro,or The Arcane Ring...

And PvP was fun.Not many people had arcane stuff or mythic armor,and blocking wasn't invented yet.

And all of you have to understand that StS is trying to make both games (AL and CoC) better for everyone.But because CoC is their newest game,it recieves very much attention form StS.
If you have seen the movie Toy Story,you have seen that when Andy(in this case StS) recieves Buzz(CoC),Andy forgets about Woddy(AL).
But StS will return back to AL once Coc is launched.

And i'm looking forward to see what "new stuff" StS is planning for AL.And to see who the heck is Northal the Awoken!

Hellgamer
08-11-2015, 05:29 AM
Remembering AL at s1 i think mythic gear and arcane-mythic eggs arent a bad idea. It gave the game a big boost and i have to say that my favourite moment in AL is upgrading the mythic gear. I agree that the game need money or much much work but with the new mythic coming i think sts started "fixing" this. Farming your gear is way better than farming gold to buy it, so the "better items" dont hurt the game when everyone can play and get them

Xorrior
08-11-2015, 06:09 AM
What makes AL better than other MMO's is its game mechanics, animation and simplicity. The screen isn't cluttered, to upgrade weapons or access anything you don't have to go through an array of screens and cluttered menus.

A lot of thought has gone into the design and interface of this game, to me that's what makes people first pick this game and play. You quickly get into the gameplay.

For example,

DH5 is beautiful graphically, but gameplay sucks. You have to upgrade your gear via yu-gi-oh style cards and all the naff gear you accumulate and then you put it through tiers, and then if you want to improve it more, you collect things to fortify it....PHEW! Menus, screens, clutter!

Tai Chi Panda...well I gave up the moment I saw choppy animation and cluttered screens. Same with OnC.

STS has made AL into a simple pickup and play style game.

And now for some feedback :

AL is a an awesome game, but making just 3 maps for an expansion that came out a year later and turning Ursoth into a CoC advertisement, isn't the way forward. I was disappointed with 3 maps on Ren'gol, I still am. I think the only way STS is going to counter this is by making the Elite version extremely hard.

By making this expansion short it looks to me that events will be the main staple of Al gameplay now. Remember guys keep it simple do not have us crafting several types of chests with some essences we got to spend a day farming for. We hate grinding in WT4, those that love it are masochists XD

Also allow people to make gold in your events ! Without abundance of plat popping crates and selling loot from within.

P.S JustG, you need help just give me a call, you know my number, aight peace!

Dimitrian
08-11-2015, 08:18 AM
What makes AL better than other MMO's is its game mechanics, animation and simplicity. The screen isn't cluttered, to upgrade weapons or access anything you don't have to go through an array of screens and cluttered menus.

A lot of thought has gone into the design and interface of this game, to me that's what makes people first pick this game and play. You quickly get into the gameplay.

For example,

DH5 is beautiful graphically, but gameplay sucks. You have to upgrade your gear via yu-gi-oh style cards and all the naff gear you accumulate and then you put it through tiers, and then if you want to improve it more, you collect things to fortify it....PHEW! Menus, screens, clutter!

Tai Chi Panda...well I gave up the moment I saw choppy animation and cluttered screens. Same with OnC.

STS has made AL into a simple pickup and play style game.

And now for some feedback :

AL is a an awesome game, but making just 3 maps for an expansion that came out a year later and turning Ursoth into a CoC advertisement, isn't the way forward. I was disappointed with 3 maps on Ren'gol, I still am. I think the only way STS is going to counter this is by making the Elite version extremely hard.

By making this expansion short it looks to me that events will be the main staple of Al gameplay now. Remember guys keep it simple do not have us crafting several types of chests with some essences we got to spend a day farming for. We hate grinding in WT4, those that love it are masochists XD

Also allow people to make gold in your events ! Without abundance of plat popping crates and selling loot from within.

P.S JustG, you need help just give me a call, you know my number, aight peace!
Umm...yeah...if you would have read the story and what was said about upcoming content you would realise why there are only 3 maps.

Bigboyblue
08-11-2015, 08:36 AM
AL is a great game. It is still vibrant and full of activity. As much as this event hasn't made players lots of gold it still brought many players online. It may show that STS should do events as often as possible to keep players logged in. Apparently the rewards are not as important as having something new to play.

The current economy is great because all players can acquire the best gear with some effort. This is the way MMO's are meant to be played. I am greatly impressed with the current game. Two seasons ago it was rough, it was p2w and wasn't any fun for me. Now the game is exactly the way it needs to be. There is a reason to log on everyday and farm. There is still an aspect which rewards paying players which keeps the game alive. I think that the game is in a good place and hope that this current setup allows STS to keep this game running for many more years.

Dalmony
08-11-2015, 08:44 AM
When you start a game in the earlier seasons, no matter what the developers do it is going to be pretty hard for them to keep you at the same level of interest and enthusiasm as when you first started. That is because MMOs are essentially just a loop of repeating what is basically the same thing over and over; level up, play new maps, farm or use plat to earn/acquire latest gear, keep farming to earn gold or maybe pvp until the next season arrives. Rinse and repeat with a few extra bosses.

As time goes on, the older the player the more this seems like you are just doing the same thing over and over which essentially you are... but that's what an MMO is. With one this small, we do end up farming a relatively small amount of dungeons per season which means that new content loses it's appeal faster.

In sum: the game still has novelty and appeal for new players coming in but naturally with the course of time things become predictable for old players which is why many start to lose motivation. They keep waiting for something as exciting as their first Arcane drop, their first million made, or obsessively farming that first big item you really wanted to go after. That feeling is something which is pretty difficult to recreate once you have done everything in the game once.

Xorrior
08-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Umm...yeah...if you would have read the story and what was said about upcoming content you would realise why there are only 3 maps.

Could you provide link please, very intrigued to know why 3 maps.

Edward Coug
08-11-2015, 11:32 AM
Let's hop on the SpaceTIME Machine and visit AL in its youthful, vibrant phase of its life. What made it tick? What got it to tock? And how did it draw so many gamers to Spacetime Games?

The answer is simple... no really, the answer is SIMPLE. AL's simplistic pick-up and go nature enthused many players, including myself. The game was very easy to understand, yet very interesting to explore. What separated AL from major MMO's like Order & Chaos and World of Warcraft is that there isn't too much to understand. You don't need to have an extensive background in MMO gaming to breeze through AL. There wasn't a whole gnit-picky crafting system, there were no substantially powerful equipment, end-game was casual and fun. Back then, you had no Arcanes or Mythics to gamble for. The best gear was fully farmable and free to farm for.

As a casual gamer, I feel as though AL has outgrown me. Nowadays, you either have to pay out a substantial amount of money to buy yourself to the top, or you have to work your butt off day and night to step it up. I currently am not capable for neither, and so I am lacking in the time and energy to keep up with my friends. I've always been one to play for fun, but when play becomes work, I don't have the drive to do it.

If Spacetime ever considers releasing a new mmorpg, I hope they take the early days as an inspiration and the later days as an experimental mistake. Ever since I began AL, I've loved the game and the developer all the same. I love Spacetime Studios. You guys no doubt work very hard, but just not down the straightforward path that everyone else would prefer. You take risks, sometimes they pay off, but often times they don't. You have many surprisingly great ideas, but also some that crash and burn. You guys are sure as hell resilient and determined to make AL successful, and I commend you for that. Even though AL has not gone down a road that would peak my interest, I know there are many others that still really enjoy AL.

This uproar that came out of the Ursoth Event is a prime example of your resilience. Normally when a large group of people look back on my hard work and moan, whine, and complain about the stupidest little things, I give up. But you guys are stepping up and taking control over everything. I still see the love you have for AL. I know it's still there.

In conclusion as a retired player, I'm proud of my experience with AL. I enjoyed the memories and fun times that came about when slaughtering things with other players. Although AL doesn't appeal to me anymore, I'm glad it's still in development and I look forward to the day I may raise my blade once again. Until then, keep up the hard work STS.

I'm a bit puzzled about your conclusion that it is harder to max out now than before. Wasn't Nekro like 30m not that long ago? Wasn't the arcane ring 35m? Wasn't the planar pendant recipe 12m?

I understand that you have grown tired of the game, but you simply are wrong about the game requiring more time than before. It's easier than ever to make gold, and the value of gold has skyrocketed.

If this is truly the reason you quit, now is the perfect time to pick the game back up.

And Ursoth was terribly flawed when it came out. Players were rightfully complaining about the mediocre prizes and the absurd crafting requirements for unicorn food. Thankfully, players did complain, and STG listened.

Zylx
08-11-2015, 11:37 AM
I'm a bit puzzled about your conclusion that it is harder to max out now than before. Wasn't Nekro like 30m not that long ago? Wasn't the arcane ring 35m? Wasn't the planar pendant recipe 12m?

I understand that you have grown tired of the game, but you simply are wrong about the game requiring more time than before. It's easier than ever to make gold, and the value of gold has skyrocketed.

If this is truly the reason you quit, now is the perfect time to pick the game back up.

And Ursoth was terribly flawed when it came out. Players were rightfully complaining about the mediocre prizes and the absurd crafting requirements for unicorn food. Thankfully, players did complain, and STG listened.
I'm referring to the days where the absolute best gear was farmable in elite maps. When there were no mythics or arcanes

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Edward Coug
08-11-2015, 11:51 AM
I'm referring to the days where the absolute best gear was farmable in elite maps. When there were no mythics or arcanes

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

You'll have to forgive me. That was before my time.

300k used to be a good week for me. I had to gamble all of my savings on speculative investments that paid off to finally be able to afford a 10m frost bow. It was very difficult to make gold when I started, and everything was absurdly expensive. Now, the game has gone to the extreme opposite direction. It's really shocking.

Dimitrian
08-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Could you provide link please, very intrigued to know why 3 maps.
I forgot what that thread was,lol,but some dev said that this expansion will have a gnomish part aswell.

And if you read the story,you would know that our task is to retake the home of the gnomes and the cryostar by killing Korgar Goretusk.Which we've done.

Dimitrian
08-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Wanna bet its got to do something with green smurfs found in gardens?
10k and i bet it's the zombie variant of the Gore-blin.

Transfordark
08-11-2015, 12:48 PM
I totally agree with you, I've tried other MMO's but when you're new to them you don't know anything and what to do, its like your trapped in a lost world knowing nothing. Same was with Order and Chaos online I tried it for an hour and I still understood nothing. I didn't even know what I was doing.

I remember the time I first played AL,
I admired its simplicity and the its community. I wouldn't be playing this game if it weren't for some people I met in this game. They taught me and because of that I started loving this game.

The area and everything else has a simple but unique beautiful design. Look at all the place around the maps are quite amazing. Also the story of the game is easily understandable. When you try other games their scenery is so confusing and too overdone in my opinion. The story doesn't make any sense.

Edward Coug
08-11-2015, 12:54 PM
I totally agree with you, I've tried other MMO's but when you're new to them you don't know anything and what to do, its like your trapped in a lost world knowing nothing. Same was with Order and Chaos online I tried it for an hour and I still understood nothing. I didn't even know what I was doing.

I remember the time I first played AL,
I admired its simplicity and the its community. I wouldn't be playing this game if it weren't for some people I met in this game. They taught me and because of that I started loving this game.

The area and everything else has a simple but unique beautiful design. Look at all the place around the maps are quite amazing. Also the story of the game is easily understandable. When you try other games their scenery is so confusing and too overdone in my opinion. The story doesn't make any sense.

I tried Order and Chaos. I was lost in town for an hour, had several players telling me they were going to report me for some reason, and just gave up. I then downloaded Arcane Legends and never looked back.

Xdumbx
08-11-2015, 01:59 PM
I was not playing then, but I have heard it was even more fun then now.