PDA

View Full Version : Dex Bear tank good idea?

thecakeisaspy
05-04-2011, 07:25 AM
so i've been playing this game for a little while, and i've been looking to make a good bear. now the idea thats been floating around my head for a while is a bear that can use a dagger (to get that great damage and actually make daggers useful) and can also equip str gear. so i suppose my question is is it worth it to go 173/111 dex/str in order to use the lvl 55 daggers? because in doing so i would be losing out on a lot of defense. would it be better to spec it something along the lines of 142/142? sorry if this is confusingly worded.

Ellyidol
05-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Wouldn't be worth it IMO.

The main point of going dex is :

1. Added weapon range

2. Added damage/crit

The dagger path doesn't follow those two at all, a 1H Shield setup would be better :)

neko
05-05-2011, 01:18 PM
so i've been playing this game for a little while, and i've been looking to make a good bear. now the idea thats been floating around my head for a while is a bear that can use a dagger (to get that great damage and actually make daggers useful) and can also equip str gear. so i suppose my question is is it worth it to go 173/111 dex/str in order to use the lvl 55 daggers? because in doing so i would be losing out on a lot of defense. would it be better to spec it something along the lines of 142/142? sorry if this is confusingly worded.

I'd avoid the dagger as you're limiting your range. The range, damage and crit you get from an end-game set like a Customized Set is simply uber. Even though I'm dual-spec'ed, I don't swap it out anymore. In a nutshell, I get great results tanking as a bow bear.

Vachdaddy
05-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Same here, as a bow bear with custom set you can still be a good tank if your mage in the group plays the part correct. I was very suprised how much fun bow bear is and the amount of damge that can be put down. Ive used dagger or stilleto in the past and dps is high but you lose alot of skill damage compared to bow. Id say try both out and see what you like better. Also i found that I like pure dex the most for my bow bear.

FluffNStuff
05-05-2011, 04:43 PM
If you are gonna dagger you want to go full henchmans.

gstar123
05-07-2011, 03:13 AM
my bear is a dex bear too,and i enjoy going into pvp

KingFu
05-07-2011, 04:01 AM
If you are gonna dagger you want to go full henchmans.

For highest DPS youd want henchmans, with metallic stiletto for the shiv, damage ring (one with 11 DMG 1 crit ) and a founders helm if possible:p

As elly said, I wouldn't recommend it. Although banned would beg to differ. Point of dex bear is the damage with the crit and hit, not to mention the range. With a dagger you'd lack in damage and have hardly any range.

TheLaw
05-07-2011, 04:34 AM
I suggest sticking back to Tanking Bears, try and aim for Fury SnS, if you can afford. With the right skills, PvE is at your knees. PvP, dream on.. Bears are like weak in PvP now, 3 skills from mages or birds will kill you, highly unrecommended.

JaytB
05-07-2011, 05:01 AM
Have you thought about dual spec? This way you can switch back and forth between str/dex gear for optimal tanking or dmg dealing.

KaotiicxDream
05-07-2011, 07:46 AM
My Tank Bear is Str/Dex Hybrid.. Just to higher Hit, crit and damage a little..

Jespo
05-07-2011, 12:49 PM
I suggest sticking back to Tanking Bears, try and aim for Fury SnS, if you can afford. With the right skills, PvE is at your knees. PvP, dream on.. Bears are like weak in PvP now, 3 skills from mages or birds will kill you, highly unrecommended.

Bears are pretty good in PvP...

CryoBlade
05-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Dex bears are pretty good for dealing damage (with beckon+stomp combo), and also have amazing crit when buffed.
Also, beckon+stomp kills in PvP :D Always kills them if they don't dodge it.

braluk
05-08-2011, 02:06 PM

I am a dual spec bear with full Raid and I've been averaging 5 kills per PVP more recently. One thing's for sure, you need some really good gear to be equivalent or better than birds and mages. But after GCD, if anything, I think they've benefited from it. Prior to GCD, bears are slaughtered from insta-spam of attack skills from mages and birds before we've had time to even buff or debuff- not to mention we'd be killed with all those spams before we can even get close enough to land any slashes. With a dual spec bear you have the versatility of distance combat with a Recurve (buffed with crit), and close combat with slashes and stomps. And you can control the distance with Beckon or stomp.