PDA

View Full Version : Forum Suggestion: lower minimum search word length?

mclark
05-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Right now you can't search for words that are shorter than 4 letters using the forum search function. This is presumably a default setting for the forums, and reduces the amount of load some searches place on the server. However, for an RPG gaming forum, this can be really frustrating sometimes. I can't search for:

DEX
INT
STR
Orb
HP
MP
XP
DPS
Hit
Map
Tap
GCD
Lvl

And I'm sure there are many others. Using the PL forum search would be so much more useful if I was allowed to include these and other short terms! Thanks!

Ayrilana
05-07-2011, 02:52 PM
This would make search pointless since it'll pick up common words that have these terms in them. They're also used constantly so any search for them wouldn't help. You'll have like 1,000,000 posts to sort through.

However, maybe an option to search for a phrase would be more useful. Most search engines have this but I don't see it available on these forums.

azulflame
05-07-2011, 03:06 PM
use qoutes to bump it up to four (assuming that you are not searching for a single letter)

Conradin
05-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Search "dex" , etc

azulflame
05-07-2011, 04:24 PM
conradin, thanks for clarifying my answer

mclark
05-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Search "dex" , etc

"dex" returns 0 results. Seems a little silly for an RPG forum, doesn't it? :)

Ayrilana
05-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Have people actually tried using quotes on three letter words before suggesting them? I only ask because it doesn't work. The search engine on these forums goes off the characters you use. The special search functions you'd use on say Google won't work. This includes the quotations.

azulflame
05-14-2011, 12:28 PM
then use [space]dex[space]