PDA

View Full Version : Move all data to itunes

Designalt
05-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Hey, just a thought that the game should be fully on Itunes, I would rather download it all in one go, or most of it anyway, rather then having to download heavy patch's, which keep messing up on the patch client (client003.pak keeps disconnecting me from the server). I'm on my 4th reinstall. If i had not played the game before I would have given up by now, but I know how good the game is, but new players may not.

I guess it would exclude people without wifi though so not sure if it would be for the best. anyway just a thought.

I'm still trying to download the game by the way, and I'm almost ready to give up.

asommers
05-28-2010, 03:09 PM
When 1.0 and 1.1 were released, we intentionally stayed under the 20MB limit to be downloaded over 3G. Unfortunately, with the universal binary, the app ballooned past the 20MB limit after we submitted it to Apple. The next client update will be completely downloaded from iTunes (and probably 30+MB or so).

-ALS

flaimdude
05-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Don't move too much data to iTunes though, as then PL becomes more open to hackers (as you devs already know). It's just that that's what happened with NOVA which has online multiplayer but was completely downloaded and only connected online through the game - people hacked it and got rapid-firing hacks, extra health, more damage, etc. to the point where playing online was pretty much impossible if you didn't have the hacks.

So idk, I kinda like having the online patches and stuff, but then again I haven't ever had it crash for me. *shrug*

Futumsh
05-28-2010, 05:09 PM
This has nothing to do with hackers / etc, this is just whether the client data comes down in the update from itunes, or the initial content update after it's approved. Server data stays on the server either way.

flaimdude
05-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Oh ok. :) It's all good then.

Obliteration
05-28-2010, 05:19 PM
If hacks come. I'm gonna grap a baby penguin. Glad it's only mobile or bots would be all over it!

ratava
05-28-2010, 06:48 PM
The patches do remind you that those devs are busy beavering away. I do like the updates and messages that keep you right on with what's being added etc. But I only patch on WiFi as my old iPhone (still going strong) does not work over edge very well in most things.

Designalt
05-29-2010, 01:15 AM
Cheers asommers.

So that's the reason behind it, I should shut up then :).

PS: finally got it downloaded after many reinstalls, and I'm loving the new content.