PDA

View Full Version : How forums gives a unfair advantage to people who play STS games.

Imsofancy
09-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Ello, your friendly neighborhood swamp thing here.

I wanted to bring this discussion up because I felt like it was something that was an important issue that is not nearly talked about enough. People who actually use forums or even visit it make up only about 1% of the AL community in game. That means only a small amount of people are taking advantage of something that gives you a huge heads up to whatever is coming, going, or just passing through the game,a much farther heads up then anyone who plays the game exclusively gets. Before I joined the AL forums community (and before I even knew it existed) , I honestly had no clue when something important was going to come, I just logged on and saw something new had been added, much to my great delight. However, due to the fact that I had no idea when something was coming, or being discontinued, I never succeeded very much in saving valuable items. Now that I am a forums member, and quite actively read, comment, and examine posts, I know know when some item is going to leave, where I can loot this item, hints on how to defeat a boss et cetera. What I want to know is this, why don't the average players, (some who don't even have time to be on forums) get this same kind of knowledge that we do, but in the game. It does not have to be EVERY LITTLE BIT OF INFORMATION, but something greater then what we get on the log in page, maybe like a NPC in every town that says something like ("blank item" to be discontinued at the end of the month. Get yours while you can.) I think that this would greatly help the average player.

But this is just my two cents. :-O twoc... I know now

P.S. This is meant to be a constructive thread, if it some how offends you, (not sure how that is even possible), then don't comment, just shut down your computer and do something amazing in the IRL world. Either be USEFUL or gtfo.

P.P.S. I really hope Katie says yes to the dress.

Mylast
09-17-2015, 03:37 PM
Its a nice thing tho.

Honestly i think it depends about player. And how much does he wanna explore a game. In earlier seasons, althogh I knew what to loot, where to loot ( thankfuly to friends and guild), i also didnt use forums.

Think that some event or idk. Oh i think it was 2x chance for a grand gem changed it. When i noticed some people knew whats gonna happen and bought gems at normal price. So that got me wondering how did they know.
Its really a great idea if somehow people would be guided to forums.

ClumsyCactus
09-17-2015, 03:45 PM
I don't know if it is that way anymore, but VERY often it says in the starting screen "check the forums for details on upcoming event" or something similar, and I even believe that it sometimes in the menu is a "ad" for forums, but I don't know, because after playing this game for 2 years I stopped paying attention everytime i log in

Mylast
09-17-2015, 03:46 PM
I think he wants to tell that this forum should be presented to a noobie from a start. But like i said, if you like a game, you ll research about it and end up here.

erikdg
09-17-2015, 03:56 PM
in our guild(crisis of faith)we try to keep guildies up to date on gc and guildmessage

Imsofancy
09-17-2015, 04:11 PM
what I'm trying to say is, people should be more aware of what they can gain if they start using forums.

Mylast
09-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Ikr. I meet lot of 46s that walk around like zombies. Dont know what to do, where to go, which skills to use.

This guides, this help, these suggestions make you better player.

But its all about a person and his desire to achieve something in game. If you like it, you ll work on it.

We re all gamers, and we know there is a forum behind a game.

Kumsaati
09-17-2015, 05:20 PM
I meet with forum when i was 18lvl for enter platinium raffle and i couldnt win lol

GT-I9500 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

ilhanna
09-17-2015, 05:33 PM
Unfair would be if the forum is locked and only available to a select group players. STS forums are open for everyone to peruse (even black magic purveyors, it seems). You don't even have to register to read posts on the Announcement section, or search for guides, browse through class discussion sub-forums, or even take part in forum contests (see the names of players who participated in the recent unicorn portal forum contests). One of the real issues of why only a small percentage of players are active in forum is language barrier. But even this can be circumvented with with some resourcefulness and determination. I've seen country guilds translating updates from forum and broadcasting it via off game channels (Line, FB, twitter, guild website, etc). A lot of guilds, like mine, use MOTD and off-game communication channels to share and discuss forum threads. So in the end IMO the problem isn't about forum being exclusive and unfair. It's about individual players desire to understand the game and play better. It's about reaching out, building connections, making friends, joining guilds, etc and eventually discovering and using forums.

acewasabi
09-17-2015, 05:48 PM
STS forums are open for everyone to peruse (even black magic purveyors, it seems).

LOL. but yes everyone has access to forums so i don't advantage is 'unfair', though it's definitely an advantage.

kinzmet
09-17-2015, 06:27 PM
You are absolutely right! People who reads forum announcements do have advantage over those who don't. But I just don't know where you got the 1% statistics :).
I bumped into forums myself when I tried to research on which build I have to use back when I was starting my sorcerer. I only read announcements, guides and the famous pet list. I don't even have forum account back then, I just use it to know whats going to happen or if theres going to be a comming event.

AND may I just add up, that we the forummers not only gets a heads up info advantage but also they get a "nerf" and "buff" power.

forumspammer
09-17-2015, 06:42 PM
The advantage I get in forum is to sell items without the tax unlike in CS.
I also could buy cheaper items here in forum.

Imsofancy
09-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Im not saying its UNFAIR. Im saying people should be more encouraged to come and visit it, so that they to have a advantage to succeeding in the game.

codered
09-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Yep, there are some advantages, but we share any info in our guild ( guild fanpage, livechat etc)

Tatman
09-18-2015, 03:15 AM
I think all important information should be present in some way in the News section of the actual game lobby. Might be in a shortened way. For example "October Producer Letter is out. King awakens in 2020 and many other things. For more details check forums."

Also, I remember the way they spam our notifications with stuff, unimportant to 99% of the population, like "Come watch devs play CoC" or "Karma vs Karma in the tournament final". Why not do the same, if something actually meaningful is happening in this game?

Stonedincali
09-22-2015, 09:31 PM
All about effort.. Put it in and gain the rewards.