PDA

View Full Version : Name your hosted game

Raulur
05-12-2011, 02:23 AM
Am I the only one getting sick of getting booted from public games because the host wants only certain things? For example: "53+" "Mages only" etc. I doubt it.

The best solution would be for hosts to be able to put this in the name of the game, like in Diablo 2. It's getting bad right now in the higher levels. You never know what the host has in mind as it stands right now. Thoughts?

NECROREAPER
05-12-2011, 02:44 AM
Great idea, would save everyone a lot of time so long as no one abuses it (which they probably will)

Tamino
05-12-2011, 02:48 AM
+1. Optional, but it could help to clarify some situations ("Keeper Only" at VL, "No Fever" in Hideouts etc.) that only asking you know.

Huzurpapa
05-12-2011, 04:05 AM
great idea. another benefit would be to avoid those games where folks leave at the boss!

KaotiicxDream
05-12-2011, 04:55 AM
The hosted game shouldn't be able to create if it contains Vulgar words or hate speech :-)

+1 Dream point for that idea ;-)

Lasserous
05-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Good idea. I'm tired of looking to get into a game for 15 min. The filter should be able to mute vulgarity and hate speach.

Duke
05-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Whippersnappers.

You used to be able to do this. It was removed precisely because of abuse -- "join game" was nothing but screen after screen of buy/sell ads masquerading as games.

Rebel
05-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Whippersnappers.

You used to be able to do this. It was removed precisely because of abuse -- "join game" was nothing but screen after screen of buy/sell ads masquerading as games.

Not to mention all of the racist game names that were made. It was getting pretty ugly before they decided to take that feature down.

Otukura
05-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Why... :/

Bring it back and see how it goes?

Fyrce
05-12-2011, 04:26 PM
How bout this? Next time you get booted, or get frustrated by booting, HOST your own game.

If you password it, then invite your friends w/ the password or use the same password for all your games.
If you leave it open, depending on the game, you can wait or start and people will join.

People do join. Heck, lots of full games I play in start exactly this way.
Ok, some areas/levels people like better than others, but really the best control you have over your play is hosting your own games.
The good thing is if you run a good game, you can remake the game for as long as your fingers and/or potions last, and those same people will join you.

P.S. before you go for a long gaming run, stock up on potions!
P.S.S. I love pick-up games -- it's a good way to meet new people and refresh your friends list. But I can also understand if it gets frustrating if there's too much booting, so the above is for you to get back to having fun playing. Usually once you start making your own games though, you stop only to take a break. Seriously, people will keep going until your fingers are bleeding :P

Wrap
05-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Great idea! I like it :)

romgar1
05-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Personally, I enjoy being booted. It gives me time to pm the booter and tell him, in a tos friendly way, what I think of his booting me. After a few minutes of making his screen nice and yellow with my words I log on with another character and see if I can join that same persons game and act like he didn't boot me. If he is doing runs I will suggest that I can remake then boot him. Its really a very fun little game ;) muaaahahahaha

Oswizard
05-13-2011, 04:11 AM
Another option is add a description column, you can leave it as blank or you can type "xp run, no boss", "Keeper hunt"......etc.

Tamino
05-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Personally, I enjoy being booted. It gives me time to pm the booter and tell him, in a tos friendly way, what I think of his booting me.

How you can PM a player who isn't is same map or in your friendship list?

Oswizard
05-13-2011, 12:12 PM
How you can PM a player who isn't is same map or in your friendship list?

Use /tell command if you wish.

Raulur
05-13-2011, 01:13 PM
So they tried it before and it wasn't working, so they just took it out? I was wondering what happened to that. Can't they just apply a filter to game names? I would think it would be preferred to the many games that are empty because the host bails if noone joins right away.

Yes, I do host games. Typically either nobody joins, or they leave right away when I'm not sitting at the entrance waiting on them. I've given up on the cyber quests because it's almost impossible to get a group going for VL runs during non-peak hours. Most players bail at the keeper on the regular CTK map. I suppose I could just go solo Gurgox a bunch of times, but it takes forever to get there solo.

Sewers aren't any better. It normally takes 15 minutes plus to find/host a game where people stay, then you never know how many are going to bail at the boss. First it was getting common to be booted for not being 55 plus, now it's getting common to be booted for not being 53 plus.

The ease of booting without being able to name games makes for an extremely frustrating experience.

csb
06-17-2011, 01:14 PM

I support this idea. And, would like to add a "max level" selection when hosting a game. If I set max level to 52, then 53 and up players won't even see the game. This would save me a *lot* of booting.

The title is important to help people choose the right group. I'm not in a big hurry to get XP, and I hate it when the group reaches the boss, says "rmk", and everyone quits. It would be nice to know that before I started. I often saw that in Keeper: player says, "Aren't we killing keeper?"... everyone leaves... player is standing there looking disappointed.

As far as abuse, I think advertising should be allowed only in the cs zone. Just suspend people for a week if they use hosted game titles for advertising. I don't see the point of B) S) tells anyway. People advertise lame items that are easily bought and sold in cs, makes no sense. eg. "S) Voodoo Spoon 1k" ... bah, go away.

nazgulking
06-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Since naming is susceptible to abuse, why don't have preset prefixes? If players feels like having a few more, Devs will add them time by time. Btw +1 to OP for the nice idea :)

csb
06-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Personally, I enjoy being booted. It gives me time to pm the booter and tell him, in a tos friendly way, what I think of his booting me. After a few minutes of making his screen nice and yellow with my words I log on with another character and see if I can join that same persons game and act like he didn't boot me. If he is doing runs I will suggest that I can remake then boot him. Its really a very fun little game ;) muaaahahahaha
I'm quick to boot, and also put people on ignore for just one tell. (my ignore list is pretty long) You could work hard at your revenge thing, I don't care, I just move on and forget about it. Getting booted doesn't bother me. It just means I was the wrong level, or they are saving a spot for someone.

Let's just say, if you are 55 and join my 52 sewer group, you have 5 seconds to leave.

Pandamoni
06-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Since naming is susceptible to abuse, why don't have preset prefixes? If players feels like having a few more, Devs will add them time by time. Btw +1 to OP for the nice idea :)

Good alternative

Register
06-17-2011, 08:40 PM
I would love this!!!
Even with my leveling twink, i counted that i was booted 17 times just leveling to 12...nearly every time was for reason: 10 and up, or , no noobs....And to stop those people who are advertising sales in their names, yo could make the names a set chars short. So people couldnt do this
Selling gurgox hammer of the rift and sentinels shotgun of death.
But people could do this:
35 up no boss

Or even better there could be filters like
Level? 5+, 10+. etc.
Bosses? Yes or no
Remake? Yes or no
Then people would know what the game is about before they join and get booted. And you would only be able to boot for a reason that coordinates with the details. So if the details were:

Levels? 35- 57
Bosses? Yes
Remake? No

Then you could only boot for reasons:
Not level 35-57
Kept fighting bosses
Bad language

So you would pick from a list and if you booted somebody that is level 38 from that game, you would be warned and if you did it again in the next [time period], you would be booted from your own game. And if you booted somebody from a game for bad language, the system could scan the chat, and if the booter was saying bad thing, he/she would be booted and if the person attempted to be booted did say something censored, he/she would be booted. And same thing if the booter false booted somebody.

If it worked like this, i think a lost of problems would be solved :)

Valsacar
06-18-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm quick to boot, and also put people on ignore for just one tell. (my ignore list is pretty long) You could work hard at your revenge thing, I don't care, I just move on and forget about it. Getting booted doesn't bother me. It just means I was the wrong level, or they are saving a spot for someone.

Let's just say, if you are 55 and join my 52 sewer group, you have 5 seconds to leave.

Someone explain this to me, what possible advantage is there to limiting the max level? I can understand having a min level, but a max?

JaytB
06-18-2011, 02:24 AM
Someone explain this to me, what possible advantage is there to limiting the max level? I can understand having a min level, but a max?

To get scaled drops. For example if you want lvl 51 stuff, it doesn't drop when there's a lvl 55-56 in the room :)

Slush
06-18-2011, 04:35 AM
Was just about to say that you used to be able to, Duped beat me to it.

Valsacar
06-18-2011, 05:57 AM
To get scaled drops. For example if you want lvl 51 stuff, it doesn't drop when there's a lvl 55-56 in the room :)

Sounds like a design flaw to me.

nazgulking
06-18-2011, 06:04 AM
Actually I think there should not be lvl51 or 53 pinks, just 55. Maybe for twinks, but I think normal drops is still ok.

Valsacar
06-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Actually I think there should not be lvl51 or 53 pinks, just 55. Maybe for twinks, but I think normal drops is still ok.

With how fast and easy leveling to 55 is, I would agree. Though I would argue it would be far better for them to adjust the level requirements (so it actually takes more than 2 days to get to 55) and leave in the lower level items (they would then really have a use).

davidis57
06-18-2011, 06:46 AM
I have a lvl 54 mage. This week I was booted from one game for being too low and another for being too high. I laughed and thought it was funny. People take this game way too serious at times.

Ellyidol
06-18-2011, 07:19 AM
As wonderful as naming hosted games sounds, I have to agree with it becoming very abusable :(

Perhaps making the abuse of this feature bannable?

No making sales advertisements, no inappropriate names (must be stricter than chat, IMO), and no profanity of course.

If players are willing to curse or go against ToS in the names of public games, I don't see why they shouldn't be banned anyway.

nazgulking
06-18-2011, 10:51 AM
As wonderful as naming hosted games sounds, I have to agree with it becoming very abusable :(

Perhaps making the abuse of this feature bannable?

No making sales advertisements, no inappropriate names (must be stricter than chat, IMO), and no profanity of course.

If players are willing to curse or go against ToS in the names of public games, I don't see why they shouldn't be banned anyway.

Fixed prefixes should work ;)

Ellyidol
06-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Fixed prefixes should work ;)

It definitely would, but would raise the question on how many there would be? Lol :p

If booting is really an issue because of max level, this class only, this class not wanted, etc, I'm thinking that would take a lot of prefixed names :(

nazgulking
06-18-2011, 10:55 AM
As i said previously, a preset would be set at the beginning. By the time we get accostumed to those, as soon as we need more, we can make constructive polls to add more.

Ellyidol
06-18-2011, 11:06 AM
As i said previously, a preset would be set at the beginning. By the time we get accostumed to those, as soon as we need more, we can make constructive polls to add more.

Possible. So like quick chats and load outs? We were supposed to get more of them, I think (loadouts), but hasn't happened yet..

Anyway, on topic, +1 to romgar's idea :p Tedious, but very satisfying for the last laugh ;)

xplodnstar
07-12-2011, 02:22 PM
+1 on prefixes, or some sort of pre-determined naming convention in a drop down box to keep it clean. A list of common purposes for that level, XP run, kill X boss only, item farming, etc. could help us to choose the best game for our purpose.

Register
07-12-2011, 03:15 PM
+1 on prefixes, or some sort of pre-determined naming convention in a drop down box to keep it clean. A list of common purposes for that level, XP run, kill X boss only, item farming, etc. could help us to choose the best game for our purpose.

necro....
Dont revive od threads plz. especially to say that you like the idea. If you really like the idea and feel strong about it, you could make a new thread regarding the situation. But rezzing an old thead isn't smileyed upon. And lol i found my old post on this thread from a while back xD