PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know how much damage do the mega combos do?

WhoIsThis
05-13-2011, 02:53 PM
It seems these days, most mega combos are triggered by accident. Most teams I've seen don't actively try to trigger mega combos.

Anybody know how much damage they do though?

- Bear "Hell storm"
Nature strike (thorn wall/root + lightning) > Hell scream

Seems to be most commonly used against mobs, although sometimes against bosses. It leaves a massive "flame". Limited used though against mobs, as nature strike (especially from a pure int mage) has often decimated the mobs already, except maybe as a cleanup. Could be used against really tough mobs though, such as shadow caves or future "elite" dungeons. More useful against bosses, but not commonly seen from my experiences. One advice that I would give to any bear player is that if you see a lightning strike that has a "combo", cast hell scream immediately.

- Bird "Pulverized"
Shattered (ice storm/frostbite + stomp) > Break armor

The most rarely seen of all. It has a big "rock". Most mages who cast ice storm usually follow up with fire blast for hot flash and certain mobs (green guys for example in Catacombs and Roach Motel) seem to resist being frozen, making hot flash useless. Also does not often appear when facing bosses.

- Mage "Pwned"
Crushed (crushing blow + stomp) > Drain life

In theory this, should be the most rare, as the attack drain life has a slow recharge. In practice, this is by far the most common of the three. It leaves a "coffin". It is often seen facing bosses.

There seems to be some disagreement on what triggers this. I was doing a run with a bear and 4 mages (including me). We were able to trigger the combo many times. Another possibility is (break armor > crushing blow). It's possible that both trigger crushed, which may be why it is so common to see this "mega" combo.

Any idea how much damage these all do? Anecdotally, I think that "pwned" seems to do more damage on a pure int mage with a staff than a pally with a fury set (not 100% sure on this one, so don't quote me). I would suspect that if this is true, then the bird combo should do more damage on a pure dex than a warbird and that a pure dex bear should have the best hell storm.

rocket
05-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Pwned! is most definitely Break Armor- Crushing Blow- Drain Life.

See here for confirmation. (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?25568-MMORPG.com-Pocket-Legends-First-Anniversary-Interview)

Since your party of 4 mages and a bear was able to do it, I am guessing that there must be a weapon that procs Break Armor.

The final combo damage will be a percent increase of the final skill used. For example for Pwned!, it will be normal drain life damage + 50%. What the exact percentage is is currently unknown. So if you have a pure Int mage or Dex bird completing the combo, they should do the most extra damage.

Eversor
05-13-2011, 05:26 PM
When these first came out I was part of a group that was trying to coordinate these combos. We spent a fair amount of time in hideout and did alot of practicing on catspaw. We got pretty good at pulling them off consistently. The end result, however, was that none of us felt it was worth the effort. In fact it made our group go slower because it took too much attention away from everything else each player would have otherwise been doing. It is certainly satisfying to see their animations, but the payoff in terms of making things die quicker and your runs go faster by coordinating them doesn't seem to exist.

WhoIsThis
05-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Pwned! is most definitely Break Armor- Crushing Blow- Drain Life.

See here for confirmation. (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?25568-MMORPG.com-Pocket-Legends-First-Anniversary-Interview)

Since your party of 4 mages and a bear was able to do it, I am guessing that there must be a weapon that procs Break Armor.

The final combo damage will be a percent increase of the final skill used. For example for Pwned!, it will be normal drain life damage + 50%. What the exact percentage is is currently unknown. So if you have a pure Int mage or Dex bird completing the combo, they should do the most extra damage.

Hmm.

To the best of my knowledge, the Gurgox Hammer of the Rift (which is what the bear was using) does not proc break armor nor do any mage wands and staffs.

I suspect that both of them may trigger "crushed".

Edit: Maybe I should make a separate thread for this.

When these first came out I was part of a group that was trying to coordinate these combos. We spent a fair amount of time in hideout and did alot of practicing on catspaw. We got pretty good at pulling them off consistently. The end result, however, was that none of us felt it was worth the effort. In fact it made our group go slower because it took too much attention away from everything else each player would have otherwise been doing. It is certainly satisfying to see their animations, but the payoff in terms of making things die quicker and your runs go faster by coordinating them doesn't seem to exist.

You do have a point. If it's only 50% or even double, it does not justify the effort taken. For now, it's just gravy on top of regular damage. Even experienced teams don't seem to be actively trying to trigger the combos.

braluk
05-14-2011, 12:05 AM
One question I have is if mega combos can work in pvp or ever witnessed?

WhoIsThis
05-14-2011, 02:05 AM

It would only ever work in a large fight and I'd bet that it would be very hard to pull off successfully.

Ellyidol
05-14-2011, 02:08 AM
I'm not sure on the number, but I think it might be a fixed value. A % of HP maybe?

I remember testing it with friends when it just came out, and all 3 mega combos would take about 1/3 of a BS mobs HP. Though I don't how it'd work on a boss.

Yes, it works in PvP. Tested, but like WhoIsThis said, it'd be very hard to do in a pure PvP match, as what we had was a controlled environment.

Raulur
05-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Ran with a group last night that pulled off a ton of mega combos, inluding the one with the rocks. It was actually the most common with this group. We had 3 birds, 1 tank bear, 1 int mage. We were not really trying to do megas, it just happened as we all were pulling of normal combos left and right. They really don't seen to do that much more damage, but I would swear that they add a stronger debuff. Every time I see one used on a boss, the hit points of the boss tend to drop much faster afterwords.

The coffin one you will see mostly with paladins, not so much with pure int mages if they aren't pulling much aggro.

WhoIsThis
05-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Ran with a group last night that pulled off a ton of mega combos, inluding the one with the rocks. It was actually the most common with this group. We had 3 birds, 1 tank bear, 1 int mage. We were not really trying to do megas, it just happened as we all were pulling of normal combos left and right. They really don't seen to do that much more damage, but I would swear that they add a stronger debuff. Every time I see one used on a boss, the hit points of the boss tend to drop much faster afterwords.

The coffin one you will see mostly with paladins, not so much with pure int mages if they aren't pulling much aggro.

Could be why. The 3 birds. The other reason is that the mage evidently did not use hot flash very often. What level? If it was the Catacombs or the Roach, this has implications because those guys just don't freeze.

Concerning the coffin one, that's very curious. I've seen it more often with pure ints. Of course, I hold the aggro a lot, but then again - why would holding aggro make a difference? All the mage has to do is to cast drain life and time it to the crushed. Yet another possibility is that the "window" to trigger the combo is bigger for drain life because drain life has a delay.

Edit: Debuff is certainly possible. Possibly one that reduces the target's armour I suspect.

Raulur
05-14-2011, 04:46 PM
We were on CTK farming gold and totems. All of the birds were 50-52, and both the bear and mage were high 40s. The mage was definately using hot flash, but I think they were also using a 1 handed weapon with freeze proc. It was one of those random groups that just clicked, so we just kept going and all became friends.

Edit: The mage might not have known to use drain life on bosses for the mega. I'll try to let them know next time we run.

WhoIsThis
05-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Freeze proc may be it then. I guess that puts another use for weapons like the Apep Sunkillers. Sadly, there aren't any high level 50+ weapons that I'd recommend that are ice. All of the weapons are dark bolt (gemstone wand), flame (gem blast staff and gem shard), or lightning (gem star wand and gemstone staff). Bringing in a low level ice weapon isn't a good idea either - it would reduce your skill damage.

Whirlzap
05-14-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm confirming that most, if not all, lances and spears have armor break.

rocket
05-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm confirming that most, if not all, lances and spears have armor break.

Looks like you may have solved the mystery! Can you give any weapon names in particular you have been able to show proc break armor? I am not to familiar with Str weapons. Did you check in that armor breaks in PVP or from successfully completing the combo without a bird present?

Raulur
05-15-2011, 04:01 PM
More rock megas, this time from 4 birds and a lower level dex bear with shivering talon. Looks like freeze proc is the key. Too bad higher level weapons do not have freeze.

Piosidon
05-15-2011, 04:09 PM
One time when me and some other guys were killing bosses in alien oasis 3 and pwned appeared twice.

WhoIsThis
05-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Looks like you may have solved the mystery! Can you give any weapon names in particular you have been able to show proc break armor? I am not to familiar with Str weapons. Did you check in that armor breaks in PVP or from successfully completing the combo without a bird present?

Unfortunately no. The Gurgox Hammer does not have a break armor proc. The bear in question was not using any lances or spears.

Edit: The Gurgox Hammer of the Rift, like other 2h hammers has a "stun" proc that roots targets in place.