PDA

View Full Version : Best character for starting

Deadsoldiers
05-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Hey, are you new to the game? Do you want to collect as much experience as possible? When u play first time u should use pure skills (only str for bear , only dex for bird , only int for mage). The best character to start is a dex bird i think , because its easiest to collect experience . Dex birds are very accepted in groups. Int mages are good too but bird is better for start. Them there are mixes of skills like : str/dex , dex/int , int/str (the last one is not very useful). There mixed skills are something for advanced players and can be used as twinks . Hope that helped ! If you have any other questions just ask

flyingscv
05-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Personally I think pure Int mage is the better way to go. Pure str bear is weak and apt to miss, dex birds consume a lot of pots and die easily, while a buff mage will easily find groups even of people higher than them and can easily support any groups or solo. I have all 3 classes and the mage out-levels every other character just from how easy it is to play and support others.

Jsaieagle
05-14-2011, 10:47 AM
For me, str / dex (half str and half dex) bears are the best to be your new account which you can find a room for leveling easily and bears are the character with the least deaths.

Register
05-14-2011, 12:44 PM
the best is an int mage (*-*)
1) you can heal at level 6 making you need to potions (you wont be taking that much damage anyways)
2) you can freeze the enemy
3) many debuffs/buffs
4) mages will be accepted into groups almost always
5) mages rule

Arterra
05-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Bears: the best crowd controll. I love walking into a room and destroying everything with only a few scratches.
- takes a while to master
- needs more hp pots
- if you are not good, you make it harder for everyone else.
Difficulty for beginner: 4/5

Birds: have great armor debuffs that later on make all the difference against bosses. Best hit% in the game due to Dex requirement.
- move around alot. If you don't, you die.
- make sure to kill off the ranged enemies first. You can alway circle around sword people.
- in general they help the group. Best for boss killing
Difficulty for beginner: 2/5

Enchantress: the support class Mage that can dish it damage to many foes. Prepare to take aggro.
- if you see someone low on health, HEAL.
- with one of the simplest combos, always try to freeze then fire.
- reviving is crucial. If you see a dead friend, revive then and there. IF YOU WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE FIGHT, there might not be a after.
Difficulty for beginner: 3/5

romgar1
05-14-2011, 02:44 PM
I have taken each class to at least lvl 35. Bear lvl 50 and mage lvl 55. Best one for starting is the mage pure int or int with a little dex. Mages dont use nearly as many pots (usually man) as the other classes. Until lvl 50 or more the mages to the most aoe damage. People always want at least one mage and usually two. Mages are the only class that can heal and revive. They also can solo areas without pots. Thats my opinion. Hope this helps.

Phoenixking
05-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Im with arterra you need 2 birds 2 mages and 1 bear to create a super powerful destruction team each one is made for a part and without one the game would be tougher each one has an advantage and disadvantage
birds are strong one opponent damage dealers but need to move alot for that they dont get killed
Mages are powerful bomb like character but they can easily get killed if you get hit
Bears are strong armored chars that sometimes act like punching bags

azulflame
05-14-2011, 03:34 PM
perfect party: 2 birds, 2 mages, and 1 bear
close: 5 mages; 3 mages 2 birds; 1 tank 4 mages; 2 mages 3 birds

Houston, we have a problem parties: 5 tanks; 5 birds; 2 tanks 3 birds; 1 bird 4 tanks

others: they work, just not the best

WhoIsThis
05-14-2011, 04:30 PM
5 birds is fine if they are reasonably skilled and don't die. In fact, some of the fastest runs I've seen are 5 birds or 1 pure int and 4 birds.

azulflame
05-14-2011, 04:38 PM
OK. I wanna see five birds (LVL 50) in Shadow Caves 4. someone record it and send it to me via forum PM

Deadsoldiers
05-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Lol, birds are easy for start i think because no zombie has bows to shot too and the birds do great damage and crit

flyingscv
05-16-2011, 06:45 AM
The only class I have seen that can go toe to toe with the GALACTIC OVERLORD is the bear. even L55 mages and birds will die in 1/2 hits.

Tamino
05-16-2011, 07:16 AM
The only class I have seen that can go toe to toe with the GALACTIC OVERLORD is the bear. even L55 mages and birds will die in 1/2 hits. I'm used to solo him as a bird since lev 51.

<edit> On the thread's subject, I agree with Arterra description. I started as bird up to 53, then levelled a Mage to 55, and finally a (dual spec DEX/STR) bear to 55. Maybe being a mage is easier in low levels bad assorted teams than being a bird, but starting 40-45 it become an intensive multitasking job (buff, debuff, heal, resurrect, do damage).

flyingscv
05-16-2011, 07:24 AM
How do you solo the overlord? I've seen even L55s die no matter the class. I don't think you can kite him either. He doesn't stand close ot the barrels either. How do you do it?

I'm used to solo him as a bird since lev 51.

<edit> On the thread's subject, I agree with Arterra description. I started as bird up to 53, then levelled a Mage to 55, and finally a (dual spec DEX/STR) bear to 55. Maybe being a mage is easier in low levels bad assorted teams than being a bird, but starting 40-45 it become an intensive multitasking job (buff, debuff, heal, resurrect, do damage).

Tamino
05-16-2011, 07:54 AM
How do you solo the overlord? I've seen even L55s die no matter the class. I don't think you can kite him either. He doesn't stand close ot the barrels either. How do you do it?
The overlord attack is every 1.5 seconds; with 85-90 armor (what you can have with a Sunblessed Void Set) the attack reduces your health to half. You have time enough to drink two health pots and launch some skill attack while keeping auto attack on main weapon.

The only problem raises if there are too many crit, that require you to get 3-4 pots before next attack. This is mitigated by evade skill, but can again kill you on lagging network. Last time with a ping of 380 I did it with Cyber Talon/Wing that grants at least 120 armor.

<edit> BTW, the birds Blast Shot taks down the Overloard shield for a few seconds.

Fyrce
05-16-2011, 01:57 PM
I recently did Stronghold runs as the only bird w/ 4 bears. It was not a problem, though a medic for birdie was definitely better.

I've done OL w/ all birds. VERY fast. Only OL group that might be a problem is a non-bird group or one with a bird that can't live. Birds that can't survive OL or don't know to spam pots AFTER you tell them are a definite problem. Other than that, lots of groups work. I wouldn't call any group a problem group unless you've tried it and with good players.

I often find 2-bear groups to be a great pleasure, if the bears are cooperating. And as I've said, multi-bear groups working as a team is quite a sight. In a very good way.

flyingscv
05-18-2011, 05:48 AM
I have to agree.. 2 bears are very good for tanking and ensuring the survival of the group. If the mage is good and doesn't die, I think maybe even 1 mage is sufficient for a group based on what I see.

Kalielle
05-18-2011, 06:51 PM
I agree that a pure int mage is probably the least hassle in the lower levels, and a dex bird is also a very good choice. As a bear you can't deal much damage so if you're very dependent on mages and birds, whereas a mage or bird can kite and solo most lower level enemies even if there's no bear.

That being said, you should really choose the character type that you most enjoy playing. As Arterra says they're all important in a group in different ways, and the endgame is now balanced enough that no one class has the absolute advantage. It used to be when AO2 was the cap that you had to have a bear for rushing; then in AO3 you had to have anything but a bear for potted VL runs. But those days are long gone and all classes are useful now. So choose the one you love playing and enjoy the game - that's what it's there for.

Register
05-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Very well said kal. Oh and I saw your video on PL and it was sweet!

Kalielle
05-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Oh and I saw your video on PL and it was sweet!

Thanks, glad to hear you liked it! :o

ledendary crow
06-02-2012, 10:50 PM
the best is an int mage (*-*)
1) you can heal at level 6 making you need to potions (you wont be taking that much damage anyways)
2) you can freeze the enemy
3) many debuffs/buffs
4) mages will be accepted into groups almost always
5) mages rule

I don't think so mages is the best to start, i am a bird level 51 and when i started i think bird are the easiest, and if you want long range and strong choose bird

Whirlzap
06-02-2012, 11:28 PM
I don't think so mages is the best to start, i am a bird level 51 and when i started i think bird are the easiest, and if you want long range and strong choose bird

Hey,
I don't think necro-ing a very good way to start either.

GoodSyntax
06-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Personally, I think that pure dex Birds and int Mages are the easiest to start with.

As you level up, Mages become a far more challenging class because you are a critical part of combos, yet you also have to watch out for the group, healing, regen, buffs, etc. Mages remain the squishiest class through most of the game, but are a requirement for most good teams. It's not until you get close to the level cap that your armor surpasses that of the birds.

Birds, at higher levels have the benefit of simply killing off (sniping) individual enemies, so are one of the most common solo acts. Near the level cap, the lack of armor really starts to hurt the birds, so they become a bit more dependent on a group.

Bears become an easier class at higher levels because of increased armor, health and dodge but really do need to work in a group to effectively clear maps.

At higher levels, I think that hybrid classes become more useful - paladins, warbirds and dexbears.

In the end, my primary toon is a paladin, mostly for survivability. Equipped with a good set, Crafted bracer set and Crafted staff set, you trade off AOE damage or Armor, respectively, for either survivability or damage.

The best group structure I have played with consists of 2 bears, 2 mages and 1 bird. This is effective only if the bears and mages know how to work together, as timing is everything! First bear takes aggro and draws the mob, first mage freezes the group, second mage hits with fire, second bear draws, second mage freezes and first mage firestorms. The bird throws in thorn root, mages lightning, bird fires blinding shot, bear draws, mage freezes, bear stomps and, boom, mob is gone - it doesn't matter how large or strong the mob is either. But like I said, timing is everything. This team technique works especially well in Mt. Fang, as the mobs deal a lot of damage and have a lot of HP.

Livemau
06-04-2012, 03:05 PM
IMO pick whatever it is your heart desires. But let me give yo some info
Birds- Lots of Damage to single target ranged attacks- low health
Mage- Group/area damagecan heal and buff friendly party members low health
Bear- Short ranged attacks fair damage lots of health

JaytB
06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
He's probably 66 now, judging by the date of this thread ;)

Coke
06-05-2012, 06:07 AM
he's probably 66 now, judging by the date of this thread ;)

lol! :D

Luvaria
06-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Mages cause they can easily heal (and good for teamwork!) for free. New players may be too poor to buy potions.

mrsobie
08-16-2013, 12:13 PM
The only class I have seen that can go toe to toe with the GALACTIC OVERLORD is the bear. even L55 mages and birds will die in 1/2 hits.

Not true I've seen the bird take down galactic overlord and all the balefort sewer bosses ie cockroach gold etc

Cavoc
08-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Not true I've seen the bird take down galactic overlord and all the balefort sewer bosses ie cockroach gold etc

vvvvvvvvv

Hey,
I don't think necro-ing a very good way to start either.

Michael Liu
10-11-2013, 06:07 PM
For me, a dex bear works really well. I've taken a bird to 50 and a bear to 72, and the bear is a lot easier. hope that helps!

Extreme
10-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Date of post.

Gragorak
10-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Lol, this thread is a necro magnet.

Izt
10-27-2013, 12:57 PM
I think a pure INT mage is the best way to start the game because the mage heals, debuffs, and gets a lot of M/P. There are skills that uses a lot of mana so the mana regenerates and you can use the skills a lot of times without dying. There are gears that gives a lot of health and mana. So that is it. Have fun with starting new characters!