PDA

View Full Version : Asking for gold?

Zeus
05-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Just wondering, do people only PM others to ask for gold? Seems to be that way. I tend to AFK for 15-60 minutes at a time, in game. When I take a look back at my PM's most of them are either asking for a favor of some sort or gold for personal gains, even from people on my friends list (although most are only who make an attempt to PM me for the gold, nothing else). Just wanted to say, one is not likely to get gold, especially when asking out of the blue. I hate saying "No", but it's one of those things that truly bring down my playing experience. /ends vent

Will lock/delete the thread if there is any flaming.

NeoQueen
05-14-2011, 08:32 PM
I see it spamming the chat AND in PMs to me. I simply tell them that the time they spent begging they could have made the money they needed/wanted. And if it is a personal PM I just ignore and go about my business.

It does get really annoying though. And what makes it worse in my mind is that you can ask them all day, POLITELY, to stop and they keep doing it.

Anyone remember the Jack*ss preview where some guy was walking and he got hit with the really big hand? I wish we could do that to beggars.

Roc
05-14-2011, 08:35 PM
I get a few messages asking for advice when I stand in Forest Haven, but I will admit that when I wear my sparkly level 55 armor a lot of the time I get bombarded with messages and friend requests. I have to admit though, ever since the elimination of gold-for-elixirs, I've had "extra" money from drops while leveling my alts. More times than not (in my experience), when I distribute this new wealth to those who only ask for gold once (not spam it), they seem genuinely happy and grateful. Perhaps I'm hopefully naive and gullible, but if I have some gold from keeper runs, I don't mind helping them.

Zeus
05-14-2011, 08:37 PM
I get a few messages asking for advice when I stand in Forest Haven, but I will admit that when I wear my sparkly level 55 armor a lot of the time I get bombarded with messages and friend requests. I have to admit though, ever since the elimination of gold-for-elixirs, I've had "extra" money from drops while leveling my alts. More times than not (in my experience), when I distribute this new wealth to those who only ask for gold once (not spam it), they seem genuinely happy and grateful. Perhaps I'm hopefully naive and gullible, but if I have some gold from keeper runs, I don't mind helping them.

Yea, it's all a matter of opinion :). Generally, I can normally tell when somebody wants something from me. If they PM me and I suspect that the only reason they wanted to PM was for gold, I just want to take their hand and face-palm it for them. Lol.

NeoQueen
05-14-2011, 08:39 PM

That's nice that you're so helpful like that but how do they learn? You give it to them once and more often then not they begin to think everyone else will help them like that so they just constantly ask. Frankly, IMO, they need to learn to farm and the benefits of farming for more than just money.

Whirlzap
05-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I've seen a really funny situation in which some level 12 kept on saying, give me free gold plis.
Then when no one did, he said; 50000 gold to not get hacked, little price to pay.
A few scared people actually paid this but thinking it wasn't enough, he said 20000, pay or you get hacked!
Basically this person made me die laughing

WhoIsThis
05-14-2011, 08:43 PM
In the CS, it's best to ignore. Helping beggars only leads to more begging.

For friends, I'd have to say, it depends. Friends that you've known for quite some time or who you trust can be aided. The rest ... I've encountered similar - it's probably best to say no and if the begging persists, delete them off the list. I'm a bit more cautious as to who I add onto my list these days.

thugimmortal
05-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Personally ive never asked anyone for gold
lol you would not walk down the street begging for money unless your a hobo
but jokes aside we have always had this problem but it was limited to forest heaven and the odd ones in the cs room.
but now the flood gates are open its a free for all lol
People have no shame.

Pandamoni
05-14-2011, 08:50 PM
I hate it when people beg. I will remove beggars from my friend's list. I also hate it when they message me to sell me an item unless they preface it with, "hey, before I sell rare item I'm asking friends if they'd like first shot at it". I LOATHE it when people try to spam sales in dungeons. On the other hand, if people don't beg I'll often hand them stuff. There are a few people on my friend's list I'll just give stuff, gold and pots to. These are people I know enjoy the game, don't has as much gold as I do and who I know will really appreciate it.

Now, if a friend I'd been playing with for awhile and who I actually talk to, not someone on my list who I never play with or talk to, asked for a loan I'd give it to them no problem. I've done this and I've often given them the amount and not asked for it back.

In the same vein, I think expecting your friends to give you something cheap and getting miffed if they don't is very similar to begging. If they give it to you cheap be grateful but don't expect it.

Beanmachine
05-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Just wondering, why would you AFK for that long? Doesnt it take like 30% of your battery away:confused:

GeTxKLuTcH
05-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Yea I defnitely came up and tried to talk to you in your afk, was like wtf >.< , but back to the topic, when people ask for gold, i give them 1. Then walk away, lol.

Zeus
05-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Just wondering, why would you AFK for that long? Doesnt it take like 30% of your battery away:confused:

Only takes away like 10 percent for me. If I'm on wifi.

davidis57
05-14-2011, 09:42 PM
All the gold and items I have obtained playing I got from doing runs and XP. Can I use gold? Sure most of us can. I never ask anyone or beg for it. This is the way it should be. Everyone should have to earn it. I have given items and gold to players but never to beggars.

Fatpigwarrior
05-14-2011, 09:45 PM
AmyxRose gave me 14k to buy my crystalline armor, she asked me if i wanted a loan...

LordEspe
05-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Hey range we are friends and I've never asked you for anything before! I think that deserves some kind of reward! Lol j/k!!

The other day I asked a random lvl 32 bear if he wanted to buy an iceberg frosty hatchet! He said he didn't have much money and I said "make an offer"! After saying that I felt like a beggar (plz buy, plz buy), so I just gave it to him lol! When ppl ask me for money or items I tell them I don't work for the welfare department and they leave me alone!!!

lilQ
05-14-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm pretty sure almost every low level character does this

Ayc2000
05-14-2011, 10:34 PM
A lvl 50 asked me for 400 once and I was soooooooo amazed, cause I can get that in a minute in plasma or some thing...it's so sad...

Pandamoni
05-14-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm pretty sure almost every low level character does this

None of my low level characters do this and I can say I've never done it.

Kingofhurtz
05-14-2011, 11:13 PM
I have never asked for gold and plan to keep it that way.

Otukura
05-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Does my asking, "who's the main of _____" annoy you?

Leiver
05-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Noobs who don't understand the game and have no intention of playing it long term are the main ones who beg for gold. I don't see the point in giving them it, if I am going to give gold away to anyone I would prefer to give to someone who will appreciate it!

If I am doing boss farming and get a decent pink someone in my group can use I will often offer to swap for the drop they got. Recently I was doing some quests in AO3 and I was having some trouble with OL. A lvl 55 bird came along and killed him solo. I asked if there was anything I could do to help and he said 'stay back' lol so I did. He got a rubbish drop and I got a decent pink, which I gave him for free. Thought it was only fair since he did all the work but he seemed genuinely surprised. I think good community spirit should shine through and more people should do things like that. It's not like it was any use to me. Sure I could have made some gold selling it but I can make gold other ways too so who cares lol.

Then I was doing sandstone quests on my bear and killed one of the bosses (can't remember which one) and I got a pink. One of the party (party was all lvl 25-30 except me) asked me if he could buy it cos he had been desperately trying to get one and couldn't afford to buy it. I can't even remember what the item was now lol but I checked CS, there was 5 and the cheapest one was 28k. I said he could have it at discount since he was in group and I sold him it for 20k. 2 mins later he is standing at CS shouting selling the item for 25k lol. That kind of thing irritates me but I try not to let it get to me.

I actually hate FH so much cos every time I go there I get friend requests and pm's begging for money. Only reason to go there is to buy pots anyway so I just go with my storage char and buy a couple of thousand at a time then put them in stash so any of my chars can get from there as and when I need them

Otukura
05-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Noobs who don't understand the game and have no intention of playing it long term are the main ones who beg for gold. I don't see the point in giving them it, if I am going to give gold away to anyone I would prefer to give to someone who will appreciate it!

If I am doing boss farming and get a decent pink someone in my group can use I will often offer to swap for the drop they got. Recently I was doing some quests in AO3 and I was having some trouble with OL. A lvl 55 bird came along and killed him solo. I asked if there was anything I could do to help and he said 'stay back' lol so I did. He got a rubbish drop and I got a decent pink, which I gave him for free. Thought it was only fair since he did all the work but he seemed genuinely surprised. I think good community spirit should shine through and more people should do things like that. It's not like it was any use to me. Sure I could have made some gold selling it but I can make gold other ways too so who cares lol.

Then I was doing sandstone quests on my bear and killed one of the bosses (can't remember which one) and I got a pink. One of the party (party was all lvl 25-30 except me) asked me if he could buy it cos he had been desperately trying to get one and couldn't afford to buy it. I can't even remember what the item was now lol but I checked CS, there was 5 and the cheapest one was 28k. I said he could have it at discount since he was in group and I sold him it for 20k. 2 mins later he is standing at CS shouting selling the item for 25k lol. That kind of thing irritates me but I try not to let it get to me.

I actually hate FH so much cos every time I go there I get friend requests and pm's begging for money. Only reason to go there is to buy pots anyway so I just go with my storage char and buy a couple of thousand at a time then put them in stash so any of my chars can get from there as and when I need them

I want to play with someone like you :p

If you're on tonight, I might be hosting.

Leiver
05-15-2011, 12:07 AM
I want to play with someone like you :p

If you're on tonight, I might be hosting.
Add my bear, I'm doing a push for 50. CTK/hideout

NECROREAPER
05-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Need help Leiver? I'll jump on To help out if you like

Anyway, I usually ignore PMs or in town if people say "I need gold" I'll say "me too.". Usually the shut up after that :D

I usually give out random pinks or do 'guess what number I'm thinking and get a free pink' contest or 'whoever wants a pink ask nicely' giveaways and it turns out alright. I hate it when I do the second giveaway and then they ask for seconds or thirds.... Ungrateful I tell you....

As for friends though, ask any one of em, I always give what I can, even when it's not asked for. I guess it's just the aloha spirit :)

Redbridge
05-15-2011, 02:38 AM
Begging is definitely a problem but it is up to all off us as a community to manage it. I'm proud to be on the sringy list but that does mean I never help. Most of the time I will politely remind players that begging is frowned upon and will make many helpful players put you on their ignore list. Most are happy for the heads up, if you're polite. Occasionally a gold request comes with a reason. If it's a reasonable request, I like to explore the reason they are asking and will often offer to help them earn it themselves and show them some other tips, point them to the forums. If they are a decent cause and seem to be thankful for the help I'll give them an item or two which will help them on their way, but always with the caveats that a) begging isn't going the help their cause and very frowned upon, and b) to make sure you return the favour, and are helpful to someone else, at every opportunity, as that's what makes the community.

I know there are plenty of guides that cover etiquette, but I have started writing a guide to pull all this stuff (begging, booting, manners, spamming, bad language, etc) together and will post it soon, I'd be very glad for every one to input into it and it be a good community driven guide.

I've seen a really funny situation in which some level 12 kept on saying, give me free gold plis.
Then when no one did, he said; 50000 gold to not get hacked, little price to pay.
A few scared people actually paid this but thinking it wasn't enough, he said 20000, pay or you get hacked!
Basically this person made me die laughing

Whirlzap, I hope you reported this player, as this is a very good example of begging crossing that line. In my opinion this is clearly attempting to ruin other players gaming experience and isn't acceptable. I know its difficult to report someone if you personally think you can cope with their behaviour, but remember they'll be doing it to someone's little bother/sister/son/daughter tomorrow. You already stated 'a few scared people actually paid this'. Not good. People please feel to correct me if you disagree.

Add my bear, I'm doing a push for 50. CTK/hideout

Leiver, feel free to add my alts. I'd be glad to level with you. I really agree with your approach to other players.

Gaddy
05-15-2011, 04:22 AM
I despise beggars. in a game like this it's pure laziness and greed, nothing more. people simply don't want to put in the work to get the rewards, but for some reason they think they deserve them, so... They whine on the forums, and they beg for gold in Balefort.

They're idiots, and I have no time for that at all!

One of my macros: /r NOYOUCANNOTHAVEANYTHING

But perhaps I'm being too subtle...

JaytB
05-15-2011, 04:29 AM
Begging is definitely a problem but it is up to all off us as a community to manage it. I'm proud to be on the sringy list but that does mean I never help. Most of the time I will politely remind players that begging is frowned upon and will make many helpful players put you on their ignore list. Most are happy for the heads up, if you're polite. Occasionally a gold request comes with a reason. If it's a reasonable request, I like to explore the reason they are asking and will often offer to help them earn it themselves and show them some other tips, point them to the forums. If they are a decent cause and seem to be thankful for the help I'll give them an item or two which will help them on their way, but always with the caveats that a) begging isn't going the help their cause and very frowned upon, and b) to make sure you return the favour, and are helpful to someone else, at every opportunity, as that's what makes the community.

Exactly what I do. I explain them it's frowned upon and try to instruct them how to get it themselves. But, unfortunately, most of them are just plain lazy. I never understood why people actually beg for gold... I mean, where is their selfrespect? And it's not only low lvl players either. Sometimes I get some of my lv55 'friends' begging too. I have a feeling some of my 'friends' only befriended me to ask me for stuff. But then again, I don't really let it bother me much. I think it's just sad to see sometimes :)

Riccits
05-15-2011, 09:41 AM
i just hope my ignore list isnt limited :/

spookytooth
05-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Its wierd cause i live and work in detroit and beggars are literally an everyday normal experience. After so many years u find yourself coming up with wome pretty interesting ways to counter/deal with the constant begging but its funnier cause they will try to lie to." Say bro u got 5 dollas i can get playa? My car ran outa gas two streets away by the ditch" dude ive worked here half my life there aint no ditch two streets away lol. Sometimes i seriously ask em if they are for real in asking me for the money ive been working hard for why they sit around begging cause it really is a joke to me. And i feel the same way of PL beggars, not people who genuinely need help, im talkin people who r level 27 for two months cause all they do is try and bum from others.

Register
05-15-2011, 12:01 PM
If they only ask once and not in the quickchat thing, i usually tell them what level are good for their level and help them earn then gold and if they are grateful or at least pretending to be grateful i might add them and continue to help them out until they can stand on their own two claws :P

noobmigo
05-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Just wondering, do people only PM others to ask for gold? Seems to be that way. I tend to AFK for 15-60 minutes at a time, in game. When I take a look back at my PM's most of them are either asking for a favor of some sort or gold for personal gains, even from people on my friends list (although most are only who make an attempt to PM me for the gold, nothing else). Just wanted to say, one is not likely to get gold, especially when asking out of the blue. I hate saying "No", but it's one of those things that truly bring down my playing experience. /ends vent

Will lock/delete the thread if there is any flaming.

My bad, Range.
I got to my 25. :p

Kossi
05-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Lol i lend so much money out to people i forgot all of them a looong time ago