PDA

View Full Version : All players read and express your opinion.

davidis57
05-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Many players log in and play this game from all over the world. With that being said the game is based on the English language. Guides, tips, forum, server location are all English. It is expected when typing in open chat you type the English language. If you want to type in your native language use private message system.

I left games in the past where people would type their own language so much the game got to no longer be any fun. Parties got to be bad cause you could not understand a word. I used get pm's in non-english I would type back English only please and got kicked from the party. If the game becomes a Hodge podge of different languages people will eventually leave. I met some fun players from all over. They have no problem using English. Its just a few who refuse to conform who can ruin it for others. Spacetime can't afford to set up European and Asian servers like some others can. So use English please.

Ellyidol
05-17-2011, 07:17 AM
I agree, but only to some extent.

Although english is definitely the main language for the server, I respect that not everyone who plays Pocket Legends has the ability to speak fluent english. In fact, most of my best PL friends don't have english as their first language, yet we get along so well.

So in some way, it's a give and take. English players try their best to understand and be patient with the non-english players, while the non-english players try their best to communicate with everyone else in an english manner, even if it isn't the best.

I really appreciate those who don't have english as their first language yet try their best to communicate using english, such as the posts in the forums, especially when they apologise for their english. There's nothing to be sorry for, I'm sure I'm as bad or worse in your language than you are in english :)

But there are, of course, boundaries. Take for example when your with a group of (insert nationality here) friends and one english speaking friend, you don't speak your own language and alienate the lone friend, it's rude. The same way that the friend cannot demand that everyone around him speak english.

Deadsoldiers
05-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Yeah its nice to see people trying to communicate, you just need to be patient with them , i am just happy to see them trying !

davidis57
05-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Yeah I agree I know its a struggle for some but they do try. It seems now that many countries are striving to have their citizens learn English as a second language. The basic reason for this for employment and international relations.

DOAPSaint
05-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Not a great reason to boot though... I join a lot of random groups that don't speak english and I just don't say anything lol

DawnInfinity
05-17-2011, 08:13 AM
I completely disagree. Although the game is primarily English-based, there is no reason to essentially "discriminate" against other people when the game caters to all those across the world. This is just like forcing every person in the United States to learn English. Patience and understanding is definitely necessary when dealing with those of whom which English is not their first and best language of understanding. Making a certain language necessary would definitely alienate a large portion of the game and would be a very drastic mistake in my opinion. There are definitely many more important things ruining "the game experience." If you don't like it, then just leave.

ratava
05-17-2011, 08:41 AM
I agree, but only to some extent.

Although english is definitely the main language for the server, I respect that not everyone who plays Pocket Legends has the ability to speak fluent english. In fact, most of my best PL friends don't have english as their first language, yet we get along so well.

So in some way, it's a give and take. English players try their best to understand and be patient with the non-english players, while the non-english players try their best to communicate with everyone else in an english manner, even if it isn't the best.

I really appreciate those who don't have english as their first language yet try their best to communicate using english, such as the posts in the forums, especially when they apologise for their english. There's nothing to be sorry for, I'm sure I'm as bad or worse in your language than you are in english :)

But there are, of course, boundaries. Take for example when your with a group of (insert nationality here) friends and one english speaking friend, you don't speak your own language and alienate the lone friend, it's rude. The same way that the friend cannot demand that everyone around him speak english.

Pretty much what Elly says. :)

1. Localization for the server is English so this is lingua franca in-game but not the only language also.
2. Lots of international players playing together -> try to communicate THROUGH the language barrier: Be considerate, friendly, helpful, have fun above all, be polite
3. Everyone learn some basic expressions: Hola/habla un pequito, Bonjour/No parle francais(!)/Je ne parle pas français, Dank (DEU), Arigato (JPN), namaste (IND)
4. If you want to speak only one language think about password for the game also is an option (saves booting/misunderstanding). Alternatiely keep talking and be prepated to communicate to anyone if need be.
5. Hmm devs maybe add a new emote: Funny symbols spinning head == "no speak that language" ?! :p

6. Talking is fun :)

mangoboyyy123
05-17-2011, 09:12 AM
i kinda agree wid the op. eventhough eng is not my mother tounge, bt i stil spk eng. cus this is an eng game. im na sayin u guys r na allow to spk ur own language bt jus use private msg to chat or i suggest u guys to go bk and play ur own local online games? so u guys can spk ur own language 24/7...:O"

davidis57
05-17-2011, 09:12 AM
These all great points and helpful to all.

Wicked Caccavari
05-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Honestly, I couldn't care less what language is being spoken in a party.

Players talk in the parties I'm in about 10% of the time. The other 90% there's nothing said the whole time. If communication was a more important part of a dungeon, it'd be a bit different view then. Literally no communication is needed to get through a dungeon though.

JaytB
05-17-2011, 10:15 AM
I completely disagree. Although the game is primarily English-based, there is no reason to essentially "discriminate" against other people when the game caters to all those across the world. This is just like forcing every person in the United States to learn English. Patience and understanding is definitely necessary when dealing with those of whom which English is not their first and best language of understanding. Making a certain language necessary would definitely alienate a large portion of the game and would be a very drastic mistake in my opinion. There are definitely many more important things ruining "the game experience." If you don't like it, then just leave.

Couldn't agree with you more.

To the OP, when you say 'Its just a few who refuse to conform'. I mean, conform to what? To your rules? I don't see anything in the tos about not being allowed to communicate in my own language. It's just ridiculous to expect an MMO with 1 language IMO. The devs even made it clear they like to have many different nationalities, and they even made changes to the automute system, so people like me, who speak Dutch from time to time, wouldn't get muted. That seems like a very strong signal they support speaking in your own mother tongue, even if that's not English

I have some Dutch friends who simply can't write/understand English very well. So, if I understand you correctly, you would just leave the room as soon as we would start saying some things in Dutch? Or, we can only use the private chat system when we want to speak? This is utterly and completely over the top IMO.

Anyway, since I respect everyone's opinion, I'll do you a favor and make sure to never invite you in one of my runs, there might be some different languages than English spoken in there... No offense.

davidis57
05-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Yeah I don't talk in parties hardly at all. Chat in town I do but rarely while grouping. In fact I don't like someone to pm me while doing runs. One Guy pm me the whole run once where did you get that helm or add me now plz. I am trying to kill mobs and just pming like crazy. Very annoying but that's another story.

JaytB
05-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah I don't talk in parties hardly at all. Chat in town I do but rarely while grouping. In fact I don't like someone to pm me while doing runs. One Guy pm me the whole run once where did you get that helm or add me now plz. I am trying to kill mobs and just pming like crazy. Very annoying but that's another story.

I agree with that, but what exactly has this to do with your original post?

davidis57
05-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Couldn't agree with you more.

To the OP, when you say 'Its just a few who refuse to conform'. I mean, conform to what? To your rules? I don't see anything in the tos about not being allowed to communicate in my own language. It's just ridiculous to expect an MMO with 1 language IMO. The devs even made it clear they like to have many different nationalities, and they even made changes to the automute system, so people like me, who speak Dutch from time to time, wouldn't get muted. That seems like a very strong signal they support speaking in your own mother tongue, even if that's not English

I have some Dutch friends who simply can't write/understand English very well. So, if I understand you correctly, you would just leave the room as soon as we would start saying some things in Dutch? Or, we can only use the private chat system when we want to speak? This is utterly and completely over the top IMO.

Anyway, since I respect everyone's opinion, I'll do you a favor and make sure to never invite you in one of my runs, there might be some different languages than English spoken in there... No offense.

No offense taken I don't talk in parties anyway. I was primarily talking about town chat. Not every nation learns English as a second language. There are some nations where it's required. My point was if you can use it than try to do so. You know how it is in town between all the spam and players trying see how far they can stretch the chat filter its nice to get know some players. I am not making excuses but I am an older player. I have played at least 100 mmo's since way back when games like Evetquest came out. In every game you have to have some type of uniformity. If players can't read and write English how can they sign up or agree to the TOS. I was once told I could not play a Korean and Japanese game cause I could not speak the language. In fact they blocked all foreign Ip's later. American games have never done that too my knowledge. Where other foreign games have blocked us from playing cause of the language barrier. I have nothing against those nations. Just giving you some other insight.

DarkPhoenixx
05-17-2011, 10:57 AM
I completely agree with u jay.

I can really careless if people speak their language or english or nothing at all in
the towns or dungeons.
Play the game to the best of our ability, meet cool characters from all
around the world and have fun doing so.
This game is pretty worldly a characteristic that makes the game speacial.
The diversity might also inspire some people to learn more than one language. €.€

Moogerfooger
05-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Who cares if you have played hundreds of MMOs over the years? That doesn't give you any more credibility to make this pretty strange request/comment about "everyone should speak English, or at least try, in town/global chat". English is not even the most widely-spoken language on the planet, as far as number of speakers if I recall. I am an older player as well, and have gamed a long time, and I could care less if people are speaking different languages....it is actually one of the cool things about MMOs, running into ppl from different countries/cultures. I speak a fair amount of German and stumbled on some German players in another game once and got to be pretty good in-game buds with them; never would have known it if everyone was required to speak English, or at least not as easily. Sorry, stating town/global chat should be English-only is pretty weak, if I am reading your posts correctly (my apologies if not).

Says who that you 'have to have some type of uniformity"? Really? What, is the game world going to implode if people are speaking different languages? Silly.

And I say this a proud 'merican/native English speaker.

davidis57
05-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Well since I am being flamed I will just leave this alone or delete all together.

JaytB
05-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Well since I am being flamed I will just leave this alone or delete all together.

I don't think you're really getting flamed here. It's just people expressing their opinions, as you requested yourself in the tilte of this post. I tried to reply as polite as I possibly could, even when I thought it was very narrow minded and self centric. Ow, and I'm probably older than you too ;)

Ellyidol
05-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Agree with Jay, they're just voicing out their opinions, as you asked for :)

If Moog was flaming, that was like him blowing a puff of smoke rather than actually flaming ;)

davidis57
05-17-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't think you're really getting flamed here. It's just people expressing their opinions, as you requested yourself in the tilte of this post. I tried to reply as polite as I possibly could, even when I thought it was very narrow minded and self centric. Ow, and I'm probably older than you too ;)

Well I am 60 retired (disabled) living in the Philippines. I have some medical conditions. The climate here helps. I get little grumpy at times but try not show it. I was Game Admin for few years which can tend to make me a little cynical. Its no fun to have to ban people for breaking the rules. Some we would catch would say they could not read English very well so they did not know that botting. Was against the rules. So I guess you could say my thinking comes from that.

JaytB
05-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Well I am 60 retired (disabled) living in the Philippines. I have some medical conditions. The climate here helps. I get little grumpy at times but try not show it. I was Game Admin for few years which can tend to make me a little cynical. Its no fun to have to ban people for breaking the rules. Some we would catch would say they could not read English very well so they did not know that botting. Was against the rules. So I guess you could say my thinking comes from that.

I hate to say it this way, but times have changed. The Internet and online gaming have made the world a smaller place. Some of my good in game friends are from Hong Kong, Korea, Japan... They sometimes talk in their own language. And even if I don't understand a word what they're saying, I'm intrigued by it every time. I speak 5 languages and see it as a way to expand my knowledge about languages even more. When I see someone speak in a foreign language that I don't understand, I tend to ask them what language they are speaking. Its just interesting to see and learn to recognize languages, thereby expanding my own knowledge. Isn't this what a game is supposed to be? A fun and learnful experience in one? If you really don't like seeing languages different from your own, you can always use the 'ignore' button.

As for not being able to read and understand the tos, I think that about 99% of the people haven't read it, whether they understand it or not. And I can't really blame them. if you just behave like a civilized person, and have some ethics, that should be enough IMO. You'll get reported/banned eventually if you're an obnoxious player, whether or not you read the tos.

Zenvo
05-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Someone drop a list of the more common "code" words that should be used in a group. Anyone should be able to understand what they do.
e.g.

Heal => Heal me you fool or I'll ignore you 4-ever
Wait => Stop busting up my Combos, geesh, or I'll ignore you 4-ever
Rez => So what if I'm the only mage in the group, rez me or I'll ignore you 4-ever

Wicked Caccavari
05-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Someone drop a list of the more common "code" words that should be used in a group. Anyone should be able to understand what they do.
e.g.

Heal => Heal me you fool or I'll ignore you 4-ever
Wait => Stop busting up my Combos, geesh, or I'll ignore you 4-ever
Rez => So what if I'm the only mage in the group, rez me or I'll ignore you 4-ever

There shouldn't even be a need for common code words. Players should know to heal and res. in groups.

Ladylove
05-17-2011, 02:25 PM
I like that I haven't really encountered any problems with language exclusive parties. I have joined some games where everyone was speaking German. I know enough German to sort of communicate and understand, but not much more. I'll ask if they can speak English. Sometimes there is a yes, sometimes there is a no, but they are always gracious about it. There are some German players that I play with regularly that have pretty good English and we communicate that way, but we sometimes switch over to German. They think I am funny when I speak German lol. Mrbanana is Greek, but he manages to speak English almost fluently. Sometimes he asks for words, but rarely. I love it when he goes on his funny little Greek tantrums. He'll start shouting, I guess that's the best word for it even though it's typing, in Greek. It's hilarious :). There are also Badtee and Masterhoon, from Singapore. Their English is broken, but they rarely go off in their native tongue unless they're pretty much on their own or just being funny. Christina is also from Singapore. Her English isn't perfect, but she communicates clearly. I've never seen anyone complain about language barriers.

squinty
05-17-2011, 02:25 PM
i agree w above idc usally not much said

DawnInfinity
05-17-2011, 03:03 PM
There's no reason for you to delete this, OP. We all just expressed our opinions.

davidis57
05-17-2011, 03:28 PM
I am not as bad as my poor writing made me out to be. When in a group I am too busy killing withmy bird. With my mage killing and watching everyone's health bars. In town I am usually taking a break or checking cs. Like most I watch the chat and chuckle when I see something funny. If you see me running around you can talk to me I wont bite. Just know I am slow at typing on a phone.I am probably the slowest txter in the world.