PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Not Trusting Anyone

Chronexia
10-10-2015, 07:44 AM
It feels good to know a lot of people in-game. I had been playing for the last two and a half years before I took a break and it always made me feel better to have my friends waiting for me to go online. You see, we all belonged in one guild and everyone treated each other as part of their family.

However, things changed when I returned to AL (most of my friends have left the game already). I noticed that there are already lots of issues of scamming. Everyday in our guild now, someone is always complaining that a fellow guildie have stolen something from him. The next day, another person claimed that his friend scammed him, and so on. I've also seen that the other guilds have the same issue.

My point is, it is not wrong to trust someone but not too much. Only a few people out there can be trusted. In my very honest and humble opinion, it is much better and safer not to trust anyone.

This is just my view, thanks for reading. Let me know yours.

Magemagix
10-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Ya the same thing vry few or non to trust, i help my guildie for aps or anything bt no lending gold or equipments. I was expect them to do the same for me nd i appreciate it.

Even in real world, u cant believe anyone

Dimitrian
10-10-2015, 08:38 AM
Scamming is popular now because there aren't many options of making money in game.In my guild an officer (yes you heared that right, a dang officer) scammed someone with a nekro.

Candylicks
10-10-2015, 08:40 AM
We have almost zero scamming in my guild. One happened internally about 8 month ago and we had one try the dupe thing. I think that scamming from person to person is reduced now because there aren't any crazy high dollar items in game anymore. Most people are able to gear with farming.

epicrrr
10-10-2015, 08:40 AM
name of guild?

Ssneakykills
10-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Yeah it's always been big issue in most sts games

( I like your sig btw )

Oursizes
10-10-2015, 10:41 AM
We have almost zero scamming in my guild. One happened internally about 8 month ago and we had one try the dupe thing. I think that scamming from person to person is reduced now because there aren't any crazy high dollar items in game anymore. Most people are able to gear with farming.

This is especially true, with the high dollar items. And for those that dont have time only need $100 to max out. With $100 i used yesterday i was able to get myself a ring, mythic bow, mythic armor, belt, and have 300k left over. Previously scamming was due to each arcane costing around $500

Mcpastry
10-10-2015, 11:23 AM
This is especially true, with the high dollar items. And for those that dont have time only need $100 to max out. With $100 i used yesterday i was able to get myself a ring, mythic bow, mythic armor, belt, and have 300k left over. Previously scamming was due to each arcane costing around $500
How did you convert your money into the gear? Was it luck kits?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mesalin
10-10-2015, 11:30 AM

Ankhs are best way to convert
Then luck kits if there is something new to loot

<Forgiveness>

Mcpastry
10-10-2015, 11:32 AM

<Forgiveness>
Or you could go either one + lockeds right?

Befs
10-10-2015, 12:12 PM

<Forgiveness>

For me, I make about 140-150k

off a 40 plat 10 luck kit

while I make at most like 65k per 25 plat ankh kit.

so 2 ankh kits = 50 plat (more) and 130k (less)

Oursizes
10-10-2015, 02:50 PM

I converted through luck kits

Edward Coug
10-10-2015, 02:53 PM
I converted through luck kits

You didn't convert it into SnS eggs? :)

Rockingtigertiger Tiger
10-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Scamming is popular now because there aren't many options of making money in game.In my guild an officer (yes you heared that right, a dang officer) scammed someone with a nekro.
Bro u are talking about princess loves ?

Sent from my SM-G7102

Dimitrian
10-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Bro u are talking about princess loves ?

Sent from my SM-G7102
1. Yes.

2. If i were you i wouldn't put the name.It's against TOS.

Rockingtigertiger Tiger
10-10-2015, 03:00 PM
1. Yes.

Np Bro ...I will take care of this next time

Sent from my SM-G7102

Mysticate
10-10-2015, 04:17 PM
You're right, many people scam. But that's just the time of game this is. Any MMORPG game that has an large economy based on items is bound to be filled with scammed, you just need to be smart. We've all been scammed somewhere, on some game. Whether it's AL or not.

mesalin
10-10-2015, 06:20 PM
1. Yes.

What the?!?!?! She really scammed nekro?!

<Forgiveness>

Chronexia
10-10-2015, 09:54 PM
We have almost zero scamming in my guild. One happened internally about 8 month ago and we had one try the dupe thing.

Your guild must be well-disciplined. I admire those leaders who are able to teach their members proper manners :) I hope our guild issue will be solved soon.

acewasabi
10-10-2015, 11:20 PM
In the last guild I was in, an officer tried to scam my arcane ring. Pretended to be an alt of the GM and tried to guilt/harass me into 'lending' it. The amount of scamming and attempted scamming in this game really shocked me when I first started playing. So yes, it pays not to trust people. (this isn't to say that genuine friendships can't develop, of course- but a real friend would never ask to borrow something that would put you in the position of risking being scammed).

Serancha
10-10-2015, 11:26 PM
We have always had a policy of no lending / borrowing gold or gear in the guild. The one and only time we ever had a problem was 2 years ago (almost exactly) when somebody decided to disregard that policy. When scammers know your guild disallows behaviours that enables them, they go elsewhere.

Maintaining certain standards for recruiting helps filter out those who are not into earning stuff for themselves also, but it is being careful who you invite to your home that is key. That and having officers who are willing and able to enforce rules as needed.

Zylx
10-10-2015, 11:30 PM
Most relationships in the game are anonymous. Your friends are faceless, except for the rare circumstance that you have interacted with them irl. In the game, no one is to be 100% trusted. People are more susceptible to bad behavior when they can be anonymous.
#PaintTheForumsPink

Imsofancy
10-10-2015, 11:39 PM
Trust but verify.

Imsofancy
10-10-2015, 11:42 PM
Most relationships in the game are anonymous. Your friends are faceless, except for the rare circumstance that you have interacted with them irl. In the game, no one is to be 100% trusted. People are more susceptible to bad behavior when they can be anonymous.
#PaintTheForumsPink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Gyges

Even them old Plato knew that the best people would do cruel things when they knew they would not get in trouble for it.

Magemagix
10-10-2015, 11:44 PM
In the last guild I was in, an officer tried to scam my arcane ring. Pretended to be an alt of the GM and tried to guilt/harass me into 'lending' it. The amount of scamming and attempted scamming in this game really shocked me when I first started playing. So yes, it pays not to trust people. (this isn't to say that genuine friendships can't develop, of course- but a real friend would never ask to borrow somethin that would put you in the position of risking being scammed).

Sad to hear officers do this, they r the once the members look to seek help nd advice :/

Kinhdoanh
10-11-2015, 03:37 AM
Totally agree, there r still some ppl in your friend list that you can trust, and your job here is identifying who they r, lol

codered
10-11-2015, 05:34 AM
I hv a friend, we met a year ago in game,,,he borrowed gold from me. Ever since i lend him my gold he wasnt ol for 3 months,,but after 3 months he came ol just to give my gold back and went off till now :),,,

Vvildfire
10-11-2015, 09:43 AM
I hv a friend, we met a year ago in game,,,he borrowed gold from me. Ever since i lend him my gold he wasnt ol for 3 months,,but after 3 months he came ol just to give my gold back and went off till now :),,,

That was very nice of him :)
I wish I could say the same. I'm trying to follow the "Don't lend gold or gear to anyone" rule since some bad experiences.

Befs
10-11-2015, 11:10 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Gyges

Even them old Plato knew that the best people would do cruel things when they knew they would not get in trouble for it.

Polybius also said similar things a bit later dumbed down for the average intelligence of man, except from the standpoint of government.

For example if, in governments, for example an Aristocracy (could be kingship, monarchy, etc.), if that ruling body had absolute power, they would give in to their own wants and put themselves above the law because what can anyone do about it? (actually tho in the end they get overthrown and a new government takes place (democracy, then chaos, then monarchy, then kingship, then tyranny, then Aristocracy, then Oligarchy and repeat.

Wow I'm a nerd

Iamsenpi
10-11-2015, 12:06 PM
So few people to trust I used to trust easy and then friends took a lot from me but I never give anything that would hurt me if I don't get back I think you need to build up a foundation thou before u just give your stuff away all willy nilly like a lot of people do

nelson131
10-12-2015, 01:20 AM
Well...theres always a few ppl i will trust in this game....and no guildies have been scammed by guildmates yet....i even let an officer craft my nerko lol....our officers have now crafted like 30+ of our guild's nekros

Graovans
10-12-2015, 06:30 AM
It's true that many ppl are not scammers, yet you can never spot for sure who could possibly scam you and who isn't. People always consider guild officers as very honest and trustable, but you can't never really know that for sure: as someone mentioned here already, an officer from our guild scammed a member by saying he would craft a nekro for him. Therefore, I personally think it's better not to trust anyone when it comes to lending items or things like that. I mean, after all it's our own choice whether if to trust someone or not.

Xdumbx
10-12-2015, 07:18 AM

You must be in HS. :p

Chronexia
10-13-2015, 08:47 AM

Those kinds of AL players are very rare now. Salute.