PDA

View Full Version : Which skills should I max out first?

Caninusi
05-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Today I decided to finally start leveling my Mage.

I'm not completely sure on which skills should be maxed out first and which ones come later.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: also I have some questions on different builds. What are the differences between str/int and dex/int dual spec builds and the pure int build. Please add the pros and cons of them and which are better for pve and pvp. ;)

kamikazees
05-22-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm not completely sure on which skills should be maxed out first and which ones come later.

There are several guides about dual builds. There is too much to say in one post without a specific question. I suggest you read one (or more) first, and then come back with specific questions.

For skills, assuming the mandatory 1 point in the first 4, I would max out lightning, then firestorm and heal. Put one point in ice storm, drain life, mana shield and blessing of vitality along the way. Max out blessing of might as soon as you can. That takes you to about level 30. After that focus on nightmare, then put some points in weakness, but max out blessing of vitality by level 43 (for AO2), or at most by level 45. Then decide whether you want maxed drain life or frostbite, and max that one out, taking you to about level 52. Then put remaining points into the other.

Caninusi
05-22-2011, 11:39 PM
My questions will go into more detail as I gain more experience on playing the Mage.

wvhills
05-23-2011, 09:33 AM
go pure int mage. Max out lightning and heal. Put 1 into ice storm, max out firestorm (for the combo). Put 0 in ice blast or whatever it's called. Pu 1 into res and mana shield then max out BoM and weakness. Then start building up nightmare and BoV.

Redbridge
05-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey Caninusi, check out the Enchantress section in my list of guides url in my sig.

Well worth reading, they helped me loads when I started.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

Good Luck

Herozheng
05-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Today I decided to finally start leveling my Mage.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: also I have some questions on different builds. What are the differences between str/int and dex/int dual spec builds and the pure int build. Please add the pros and cons of them and which are better for pve and pvp. ;)

so what you rly want to be a pure mage ? a dex mage ? a pally ? want to play PVP
or PVE , so that is all different in build

Elf 's skill are all very useful . not like hunter's or bear's skill ...... you need all of your elf skill ,that's make you need put pts in all the new skill you get when you lvl up .

its hard to mix any of your skill in the low lvl ,but i can tell yo what skill you don't need put more then 1 pts :

Resurrect : 1 pts only , the skill is the only one in game can rev dead ppl back to life
each rank save you few mana when yo cast this spell ,but it not much
after lvl30 you got more M/s that small amount mana is just nothing to yo

Magic shield : 1 pts ,it's just like mana shield , useful but not that big+ on high rank
for this spell (if you want to be a pally tank or pvp more it may help yo
a little more ) ,for pve is not worth to put more pts in .

Ice storm : 1 pts (maybe few more later ) ice storm + fire storm are the mage class
cobom , but each rank of ice storm adds very weak DMG , not like other
AoE spell in mage class ,so i mix fire storm and lighting first , if you want
to be a pure int mage so AoE are the best thing you do in a group , mix
all the AoE spell first also the healing spell

here is some spell i mix up befor lvl50:

all the aoe spell (not ice storm) ; healing spell ; Blessing of might (its not only a party
buff also a self buff , at rank 6 self buff + 30DMG ,60% Crit for 20sec)most powerful buff for us .....

I am a int/dex mage so i do better at boss fight ,also i like solo ,that is why i mix up my single target spell as well :

Frostbite(3/6): the early spell we got , it is also very great single target spell , not only
high DMG also freeze the target as well too , and it slow down or stop the
the most rang cast mob's attack (like alien sniper in AO)

Drain life: just like life steal , take lift from you target and heal yourself ,most powerful
single target spell for mage !!!

but for all the single target spell you must have high hit% , that is not good for pure
int mage .cuz they are too weak on hit% , so if you want to be a pure int mage , don't need mix single spell AsAp ......

last but not least : Debuffs

as you know we mage got 2 Buffs :Blessing of might & Blessing of Vitality
and also we got 2 debuff :

Weakness : AoE Reduce mobs DMG(-30 @ rank 6) & hit chance (-30% @ rank 6)
that is a great spell , but it is only 8m area , so you need cast it very
close ,useful after a tank hold arggo .

Nightmare :AoE reduce mobs Armor (-30 @ rank6)Dodge (-12% @ Rank6)
only 6m area need be close to mobs even more .

i use weakness on boss at most time , for group mobs i just run in with tank ,after bear use Beckon pull them together i cast ice storm => nightmare =>Lighting=>fire

you played bear and hunter too ,so you know why i do it , start with ice storm helps to hold mobs and freeze them together ,so we cast nightmare also helps hunter to cast
they short rank AoE combo , not only that also group combo :

bear + mage : Hell scream + Nightmare = Terror Group Combo
(Effects: Debuff is 10-25% more effective.)

bear + mage : Ice Storm + Stomp = Shattering Blast

hunter + mage : Thorn Wall + lightning = Nature Strike

hunter + bear : Shattering Scream + Hell scream = Terror Group Combo

you got a lvl50+ bear and also a hunter , so i think you know how to play and got some nice gear for your new mage alt , at lvl30 the brain freeze items from elite instance are very nice for mage good M/s , at lvl35 frog items or voodoo gear are nice too , then AO gear from lvl39 to lvl50 , at per lvl50 you may have the mystery
quest done to get mystery set but its not that good the weapon in this set are too weak ; so after lvl50 quest set cyber set are ok , the drop set like void set is not bad ,the best
set is shadow glow stick set , lvl55 MMG set .......

hope it's helps your Elf , and welcome to the world of Elf :cool:

Ayrilana
05-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Blessing of vitality gives a large defense boost for like 10 sec so you want to max it out.

Sky../
05-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Yep. Blessing of vitality adds defense to self, not h/s.

Herozheng
05-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Blessing of vitality gives a large defense boost for like 10 sec so you want to max it out.

Oops , my bad , it is boost armor , yep it's need be mix up for sure , i blame skill book ........ make me die too many time lol .......... -.-

Sky../
05-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Oops , my bad , it is boost armor , yep it's need be mix up for sure , i blame skill book ........ make me die too many time lol .......... -.-

Lol. It is quite vague. It just gives a number without specifying what.

Herozheng
05-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Lol. It is quite vague. It just gives a number without specifying what.

yep , that is the way to make 2 Platinum of me ....... >.<

Caninusi
05-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Ok, I've given this some thought.

First of all, Id like to know more about the int/str dual spec build. (the benefits and disadvantages of it, it's ability to perform in pve and pvp, the skill build that corresponds with it ect.)

Also, why is ice storm a 1. Wouldn't the whole area freeze part of it be way stronger as a 6? (kinda like my beckon and stomp)

The reason I want to have a str form is that survivability has become a key aspect of my game. For example, if i were to add up the story stats of all 3 of my characters, I'd have some 37.7k kills to go along with 5 deaths.

Also the skill damage differs greatly between a pure int Mage and I dual spec one, but does it really matter. Isn't it about the build that you like to play, the one that fits your playstyle the best.

Going back to skills, what would be the best final skill build?

This is all I can think of for now. :banana:

Caninusi
05-23-2011, 06:18 PM
To add to the post above, Im not going to bother with shadow cave gear. Personally I find it too expensive. Instead I'll be buying some low end 53 gear before I go to the sewers.

As for the leveling from 50-53, I'll be running crush the keeper only so I don't really have to worry about great gear. (already have rift and void sets) I might get a cosmos set tho.;)

Piosidon
05-23-2011, 10:06 PM
You may want to add some dex to increase hit %. What's the point of having a high damage skill and miss

Caninusi
05-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Yeah dex is important.

I really can't decide between the dextress/Mage spec or the pally/Mage spec.

Any advice on which will benefit a pve and pvp group more?
(includes overall skill damage)