PDA

View Full Version : Weekly quests: Luck

Gluttony
05-23-2011, 02:04 AM
Add a new stat, luck. Take the 10 towns and add a lucky NPC (mage with big luck vanity on) in each one. This NPC will offer a quests (per town) which will grant a chance at an increase of luck. Each char will start with luck at 0; which basically means their drops stay at the same rate as they currently are (roughly 1%... or so most would believe). After completing each quest you will receive +1% luck.

The idea is that luck would be a modifier when calculating drops. 100% luck wouldn't actually guarantee you a pink drop every time, but it would double your chances of getting better drops. I know that this is just a slight increase, but I don't want to just hand out pinks like candy, and it is a stat that is earned via questing.

The idea is that the quests could be completed weekly and would give the individuals chance at a luck increase. The total one could gain would be 10% per week, and there would be a cap on the actual percentage that luck could be increased to (maybe 100%). This would increase a player's chances at getting better drops (which plenty of people seem to want), while also allowing them to work for it. I know that the quests are boring, but I think this quest could be a combination of some of the less interesting ones rolled into one. For instance, a quest could be to kill every mini-boss/boss within a single campaign. Unlike totem quests you could not farm the same boss over and over, nor would you have to return back to town every time you killed a boss to get the next quest; it would be one solid quest.

I just thought that since the stand alone "lucky" elixir was removed this would be a nice way to increase the chances of getting a better item, withoug having to spend 7k gold when all you really want is the chance at a re-roll. I'm not sure how re-rolls actually work, but it would be a nice addition if the two could stack somehow. After the idea gets established a bit, there could eventually be vanity items that modify luck. Add an additional percentage to it, or even luck multipliers.

Corpser
05-23-2011, 02:23 AM
its a clever idea but imagine people drops that had both that and the big luck itd be insane.

Gluttony
05-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Like I said, I don't know the mechanics of things but if it does make drop rates too high then just remove the properties of big luck to even things out. It's not like this would be the first time that items have had their stats removed, also this would level the playing field for those who didn't have the opportunity to get big luck (or just didn't want to purchase it). I mean big luck is the only vanity item that has a property like that, so unless there are other vanity items on the way that are similar it's pretty unique and there is nothing that can emulate it in the game (besides a 7k pot, and that's only for 5 min).

Corpser
05-23-2011, 08:30 AM
so how would it be fair to remove something people purchased itd bring a huge uproar and this would create alot of problems with farming especialy since quests are easy to do

Gluttony
05-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Not sure exactly, just know it was done with the shield of gratitude so it's not impossible. Big luck is an exclusive item that is impossible to emulate without the purchase of one of the combo potions. It isn't available anymore, so it's "fairness" is questionable too. This was just an idea to try to equalize the playing field for those who didn't get the chance to purchase them.

I get that you don't like the idea, it's fine. Just pitching things out there as it seem that people are leaving the game one by one. I don't know their reasons, but do see plenty of threads about the lack of legendary items in the BS campaign. Without a revamp of the drop rates, I just wanted to add something new to the table that would allow people a sense of accomplishment with their quests as well as give them an added stat bonus.

Jjesus86
05-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Although I like your idea. The thought of losing my big luck makes my stomach hurt. It's my fav item(well tied for fav item with my founders helm and hardlight shield).

JaytB
05-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Although I agree that a little extra luck would be nice, I generally think it's not such a good idea. Personally, I like the way things are now. At least now, it feels like an accomplishment when you finally get a decent drop, or if you're finally able to buy that set you always wanted. Increasing drop rates would have a huge impact on the current PL 'economy'. People would have to try a lot less hard to get pink items, defying the purpose if them being called 'legendary' IMO.

As for big luck, devs always hinted that it would be a permanent bonus. That was the reason I bought 2 of them in the first place. So I'd have to agree with Corpser on this one. If they'd take that away now, people (including me) would be very upset. And comparing a free item (shield of gratitude by itself was given completely free) to an item you actually had to buy with plat, doesn't seem like a fair comparison to me.

Lastly, I know many of the people that left and none of them mentioned they left because of lousy drop rates.

Don't get me wrong, I like that you're making well thought out suggestions, I'm simply stating my opinion about them :)

Corpser
05-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Not sure exactly, just know it was done with the shield of gratitude so it's not impossible. Big luck is an exclusive item that is impossible to emulate without the purchase of one of the combo potions. It isn't available anymore, so it's "fairness" is questionable too. This was just an idea to try to equalize the playing field for those who didn't get the chance to purchase them.

I get that you don't like the idea, it's fine. Just pitching things out there as it seem that people are leaving the game one by one. I don't know their reasons, but do see plenty of threads about the lack of legendary items in the BS campaign. Without a revamp of the drop rates, I just wanted to add something new to the table that would allow people a sense of accomplishment with their quests as well as give them an added stat bonus.

i do like the idea im just thinking of negative ways (sorry) maybe itd work just require alot of tweaking and stuff.

jaminn
05-23-2011, 02:53 PM
... I like it...it doesn't give a lot of luck so easily...and personally I don't think that the big luck works too often...I don't even wear mine anymore...but in that case the luck can just be lowered

Gluttony
05-23-2011, 08:23 PM
As for big luck, devs always hinted that it would be a permanent bonus. That was the reason I bought 2 of them in the first place. So I'd have to agree with Corpser on this one. If they'd take that away now, people (including me) would be very upset. And comparing a free item (shield of gratitude by itself was given completely free) to an item you actually had to buy with plat, doesn't seem like a fair comparison to me.

Lastly, I know many of the people that left and none of them mentioned they left because of lousy drop rates.

Don't get me wrong, I like that you're making well thought out suggestions, I'm simply stating my opinion about them :)

I'm not trying to make items fall from the heavens like rain, this is just a slight increase (as I said 100% would only double your chance at a pink drop).

The fact that devs "hinted" at big luck being a perm bonus is one of the reasons I would like to weed it out (also it never seems to work). If they did in fact tell us that it would be a perm bonus then people would have made an informed desicion, instead of feeling like they were taking a gamble. Also, there are plenty of new players out there who missed their opportunity to get their hands on one (and the game seems to be catering to the new player more-so recently).

I don't know why all of the people are leaving (those on forums do tend to mention their reasons), but as for people in game I cannot go a full hour without someone complaining about the horrible drop rates in BS. I know from others who have never been on the forums who said their taking break simply because they cannot earn gold/items via BS and don't want to farm lower level dungeons for gold.

I welcome any suggestions/opinions about this idea. I know that plenty will hate the big luck change (perhaps it was wrong comparing it to a free "gift" item), but there are probably equally as many who would support it.

Register
05-30-2011, 08:45 PM
I really like the idea and was thinking of making a suggestion on this but then realized that the devs want to keep the game hard. With the luck, it would almost be doubling the good drop chance for everyone.

Gluttony
05-31-2011, 11:05 AM
I understand that people want to keep the game "hard" but I read threads daily about people fed up with sewers. How they do constant runs all night and don't receive one pink, but a newcomer joins at that last second, rushes to the boss and is rewarded with a pink. I read how people have given up on the sewers and don't see any way to fix it. People are starting to doubt the randomness of the drop system, or at least don't appreciate it. I just wanted to make a system where everyone could actually see their respective luck, see how their chances of getting a pink are improving over time.

thecakeisaspy
06-01-2011, 03:52 PM
what is the big luck?

Gluttony
06-01-2011, 03:58 PM
It's a vanity items that acts as a lucky elixir, which allows you to sometimes get a re-roll on an item drop and occasionally increases the rarity of the item you get. It was available during March 2011 (around St. Patrick's day) and can no longer be purchased.