PDA

View Full Version : My Consignment Shop idea. Merchanters, please have a look. :D

TheLaw
05-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Okay. IMO, So this is "Consignment Shop" thingie is like a giant problem towards the whole playing environment. Well, this CS system has brought us much joy and happiness but to some, it brings sadness. IMO, one way to improve the performance of the CS system is to set a stable price. Something like RuneScape. Some people get fed up seeing the prices rise sky high during the weekdays and drop sea deep during the weekends. The prices for rare items may even vary from 700-1m!

The main idea:

Change a bit of the CS system, making it perform a better task. There are only a few things I want to change to make it more systematic. As written below:

I. The Tabs - I was thinking to change it into a more attractive manner. Like put it in boxes, which you get from either purchasing it with plat (Like some already did, or you will only start with one per char). There will be a total of only 3 tabs, called "BUY", "REQUEST" & "SELL". The slots will look perhaps like boxes, where you can view them easily, and scroll from page to page to see if your item is bought, or sold. When your item has just been put up, there will be a long rectangular box below the item's name which emits a striking yellow colour. When your item is bought/sold, it will change into a bright lime green colour.

II. Some of you might ask about this "REQUEST" tab -This tab is actually for buyers to Offer their prices for an item to see if any kind hearted soul out there is willing to give him/her this item for that specific price. Example, I offer 500k for a Fury Shield, sellers may go through the "REQUEST" tab, seeing that he/she wants to sell it for this specific amount, therefore clicks on your request tab, and Sells it to you. You will have your money deducted from your inventory/stash and you get the item while the seller gets the money.

III. What's so special about this Suggestion? - The specialty of this suggestion is that it is easier to buy/sell items. It also stablizes the market price.

Hope you all got my idea. Thanks for reading!

NeoQueen
05-29-2011, 09:39 PM
But loss and gain is part of playing the system. It's like stocks. You buy it for dirt cheap and it increases in price tenfold. Or you buy it uber expensive and it drops due to market saturation or something better coming out. It happens. Having a set price range would defeat the purpose of an open market IMO.

Otukura
05-29-2011, 10:26 PM
In the GE in RS, there is room for loss and gain. If 10 of something sells of max, the average is going to move up, and vice-versa.

I'd support this, but I don't think it's the most pressing matter. And I'm guessing it would take time.

Gluttony
05-29-2011, 10:52 PM
I never played this RS that you speak of, who sets this auto-price? Does the game do some type of calculation based on how many of said item has been dropped? Do the devs make a key and it's based off of that? If it's based off how many are currently in cs, can't one player buy all the stock and then set their price which can't be lowered more than 20-30% at a time? Also, what happens when an item becomes more popular (set bonus added, twink tournament), how can players cash in on the change/event?

Since I don't have any experience with your system I would like to know more about it before I can pass judgement, thank you.

Otukura
05-29-2011, 10:56 PM
The price is based on how they have been selling.

Example:

Initial price is 3m.

Someone tries to buy one for 3.3m. Someone tries to sell for 3.1m.

The buyer gets it for 3.2m, and the seller receives 3.2m.

The initial price is now increased to 3,032,000. It's the originial plus 1% of the bought/sold for price.

Simnar
05-29-2011, 11:12 PM
i under price things to ensure a buy lol

Dexmann
05-29-2011, 11:38 PM
i really do like this idea! i am THE WORST at selling buying things at the right time lol. i always sell for cheap and then it soon skyrockets, or when i buy for $$$$ it drops ocean deep <:O it would be nice to have a set price... to a certain degree... but i do agree with the statement that it will take a lot of time and effort and it would need to be updated regularly probably

Offensivve
05-29-2011, 11:51 PM
Idk about a set price for items but they should let us put offers in to buy something in the cs even if its not in there or for cheaper than what people are selling for. Even without set price this would make prices more stable. I also got this idea from runescape my name on their is offensivve also but don't get on anymore but ya their grand exchange is awesome.

TheLaw
05-30-2011, 09:01 PM
The whole idea I came up with this suggestion is to ensure a stable price, and some people wont even be having problems like selling the wrong stuff and underprising it, etc. I thought this was kinda good and beneficial. The price raises and drop to what the players decide, they can either sell for a higher price, or vise versa. It benefits the seller and the buyer. :)

Who sets the price?

I've got to say the starting price is set by the Devs, to what they think is reasonable, and if the demand gets up, the price goes up.

TheLaw
05-30-2011, 09:11 PM
But loss and gain is part of playing the system. It's like stocks. You buy it for dirt cheap and it increases in price tenfold. Or you buy it uber expensive and it drops due to market saturation or something better coming out. It happens. Having a set price range would defeat the purpose of an open market IMO.

I didn't say that this suggestion would affect merchanting. It would make it all the way simpler. :)

Gluttony
05-31-2011, 01:38 AM
All very logical, when the demand goes up, the item's price goes up! When the demand or supply goes higher than the demand, the price drops. Simple.

I don't get this part, what is the demand based on? If it's just simply the amount of times an item is bought then can't a player(s) just keep listing said items and buying it right after, causing the market value to increase? They would only really lose the amount that it cost to put an item in cs and with the 20-30% increase each time, they could make their money eventually.

Sorry, but I still don't fully understand the system. All it seems to do is list parameters that buyers must list items for and that just seems to limit them. Perhaps a better system would just be to list the average, highest and lowest price that items have sold for over the last few days/weeks. If there was a way to see the target range that an item sold in, then we could better gauge how much an items approximate value is. I just wonder if a system such as yours was put into play if it wouldn't just be manipulated in order to gouge more money from the average player.

Slush
05-31-2011, 01:43 AM
+1 to this idea.

TheLaw
05-31-2011, 05:13 AM
@Gluttony - I'm afraid I can't really understand your post. @@ but this is a stable system. The demand is based on the amount of people buying that respective item. If you still can't get what I'm saying, you should create a RS acc and try using the Grand Exchange.

TheLaw
05-31-2011, 05:20 AM
Can't edit on the Mobile Website. So I'm just going to say that it takes MANY players or amount of trades to raise the price of an item. It isn't really easy to gauge money from an average player cause you can't buy the items you have sold. And in the mean time, while you sold an item for a high price and someone buys it, another guy may have sold it for a lower price which decreases the value. Hope this explains a few. Please do reply if you don't get anything else.

Gluttony
05-31-2011, 06:17 AM
I'm starting to understand it bit by bit, however I think this system may limit a players ability to sell items. For instance, the current cs price for the Custom Recurve is 1.8M which is a bit steep imo, and I have want to list mine for cheaper I can only go 20% less than that or 1.4M. Personally that's still pretty high and it might not sell which may force me to try to make a deal outside of cs completely. As the cs system is people can list their items as high or as low as they choose and I think that's great. The market fluctuation almost makes it like winning a pink if you find an item priced lower than you think it should be worth. I know plenty of people who make their millions by buying items low and selling them high and this system would diffuse that.

As for not being able to raise the price and create a monopoly, it does seem possible with a group of people who are willing to buy items and re-list them while increase the base price by 20% every time.

JaytB
05-31-2011, 06:21 AM
Well, I don't mean to sound offensive in any way, but I don't like your suggestion.

The reason? I'm used to the current system of prices and like it as it is.

As for Gluttony's post, I think he's saying you could 'game' the system by artificially increasing the prices to whatever you like. You sell from 1 account for a very high price, and buy it with another account... Until the price is high enough to just sell it.

Offensivve
06-01-2011, 01:02 AM
As for not being able to raise the price and create a monopoly, it does seem possible with a group of people who are willing to buy items and re-list them while increase the base price by 20% every time.

Gluttony is right, even in RS there are "merchanting clans" that choose an item in the GE (ex. Karil's skirt) and they buy out that item at max price or close to it until there are no more in the GE, thus making the demand of that item go up and also making the max price go up significantly... then after the prices go up and people are trying to buy that item in the GE and cant get it (even at max price) the whole clan sells all of them back in the GE for the min price, making the price drop significantly, while making a huge profit at the same time...then they choose a different item and repeat...

The CS does need updated though I would like it to be like the GE but without the min/max price range. It would be much better.

TheLaw
06-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Gluttony is right, even in RS there are "merchanting clans" that choose an item in the GE (ex. Karil's skirt) and they buy out that item at max price or close to it until there are no more in the GE, thus making the demand of that item go up and also making the max price go up significantly... then after the prices go up and people are trying to buy that item in the GE and cant get it (even at max price) the whole clan sells all of them back in the GE for the min price, making the price drop significantly, while making a huge profit at the same time...then they choose a different item and repeat...

The CS does need updated though I would like it to be like the GE but without the min/max price range. It would be much better.

I was just giving a suggestion to the Devs, no biggie. With B* coming out, I don't think anyone's gonna play this game much. :P

TheLaw
06-01-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm starting to understand it bit by bit, however I think this system may limit a players ability to sell items. For instance, the current cs price for the Custom Recurve is 1.8M which is a bit steep imo, and I have want to list mine for cheaper I can only go 20% less than that or 1.4M. Personally that's still pretty high and it might not sell which may force me to try to make a deal outside of cs completely. As the cs system is people can list their items as high or as low as they choose and I think that's great. The market fluctuation almost makes it like winning a pink if you find an item priced lower than you think it should be worth. I know plenty of people who make their millions by buying items low and selling them high and this system would diffuse that.

You are a very sensible person. Haven't played with you in awhile now. I understand and agree with your suggestion. Thank you. :)

Well, I don't mean to sound offensive in any way, but I don't like your suggestion.

The reason? I'm used to the current system of prices and like it as it is.

As for Gluttony's post, I think he's saying you could 'game' the system by artificially increasing the prices to whatever you like. You sell from 1 account for a very high price, and buy it with another account... Until the price is high enough to just sell it.

Yes, no offense taken. :) I know that you're a hardcore merchanter who is not willing to teach me any of your methods. :P Jk. I get what's your point here. Will change it now.

kamikazees
06-01-2011, 01:09 PM
I am not too fond of the "average" or market price part of this suggestion (which seems like a ton of work for little benefit), but the idea of allowing someone to post requests to buy in the CS (ie 500k for RR Leather) is a superb idea and will help stabalize prices. Sellers can set whatever price they want right now without regard to what the item is actually worth. If we had some system showing what Buyers were willing to pay, well, that's just yin and yang.

csb
06-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Yep. This sounds like fun. If you make it that way, I will manipulate the prices just for fun. Maybe I can experiment and make Iceberg shields cost 1M.

Everquest created the bazaar for selling, then much later added a room for buyers. Instead of posting items for sale, you could choose what you wanted to buy and the price you were willing to pay. This worked great for buying a very rare item, because the odds of finding it on sale would be very low. It also worked great for crafters that needed large quantities of an item. And, the sellers could simply find a buyer and complete the sale.

If we had this system, then everyone wanting a particular level 51 pink axe could post a buy request. The sellers could simply check if anything in their inventory matches a buy request. Perhaps I have the axe and wasn't planning on selling it, until I saw that there was a compelling buy offer.

For PL, this could be yet another platinum opportunity. In addition to selling auction slots, wanted-item slots can be sold.

The way it would work is that you hold enough gold to cover the purchase. Then when you log on, you would find your item had arrived, and the price would have been deducted from your gold. The seller got an instant sale and didn't have to run around spamming an offer.

TheLaw
06-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Yep. This sounds like fun. If you make it that way, I will manipulate the prices just for fun. Maybe I can experiment and make Iceberg shields cost 1M.

Everquest created the bazaar for selling, then much later added a room for buyers. Instead of posting items for sale, you could choose what you wanted to buy and the price you were willing to pay. This worked great for buying a very rare item, because the odds of finding it on sale would be very low. It also worked great for crafters that needed large quantities of an item. And, the sellers could simply find a buyer and complete the sale.

If we had this system, then everyone wanting a particular level 51 pink axe could post a buy request. The sellers could simply check if anything in their inventory matches a buy request. Perhaps I have the axe and wasn't planning on selling it, until I saw that there was a compelling buy offer.

For PL, this could be yet another platinum opportunity. In addition to selling auction slots, wanted-item slots can be sold.

The way it would work is that you hold enough gold to cover the purchase. Then when you log on, you would find your item had arrived, and the price would have been deducted from your gold. The seller got an instant sale and didn't have to run around spamming an offer.

Lol. Very very long. But i'm guessing you like my updated idea? :D not really perfected throughly yet, updated it really late last night.

csb
06-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Lol. Very very long. But i'm guessing you like my updated idea? :D not really perfected throughly yet, updated it really late last night.

Ok, i didn't answer directly. In summary:

I. Tabs -- I don't care how it's implemented, i don't have UI skills.
II. "Request" Tab -- Yes, we need this.
III. Suggested market price -- bad idea.

Some players are good at buying/selling, some are not. There should NOT be a suggested market price, it will always be wrong and artificial. Pricing is a dynamic thing; it is a game within the game. And value changes by time of day, day of the week, and sometimes due to game patches.

For example, if you are selling the *only* Iceberg Shield available on the market, you can set it for 60K, and see if there are any desperate takers. If there are too many shields on the market and you want to just unload some loot, you may sell it for 20K. But, having a "40K suggested price" displayed will just cause people to not buy the 60K item, and resell the 20K item.

Selling the only Iceberg Shield late at night is better than selling Saturday morning. This is because people have all day to farm the item instead of buying yours. Also, some players will log in and sell the shield for lower prices. But, late at night it may be hard to get a group to farm an Iceberg Shield. So, timing is everything for buying and selling.

Suggested market prices make no sense at all. The value of an item is what someone is willing to pay right now; that is what the item was worth to the buyer.

If anything, the market can teach kids (i know a 6 yr old that plays PL) playing the game about the free market, and how to buy/sell. This is a good thing, and makes smarter people. It's best not to dumb down the game with socialization and price fixing.

Johnaudi
06-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I disagree , well some pinks may have bin found easier like the skeller crunch pinks... So the price goes down the hard thing is that the drop rate may be a little more expensive as the ff sword some sellers now sell it for 700k in cs but main price is 1.2mill

csb
06-06-2011, 06:31 PM
I disagree , well some pinks may have bin found easier like the skeller crunch pinks... So the price goes down the hard thing is that the drop rate may be a little more expensive as the ff sword some sellers now sell it for 700k in cs but main price is 1.2mill

Someone selling a ff sword for 700k in cs may have made a mistake. Someone else would buy it and resell it. Everyone should take time to understand what something is worth before selling it. If anything, try selling it high, and then start lowering the price if it does not sell.

Trying to protect people from making this mistake would be a mistake as the solution can create more problems that it solves.

TheLaw
06-07-2011, 01:02 AM

I don't see why your post is related to the topic. The prices of cheaper items are like cheap, and the expensive ones vice versa. Explains anything?

Ok, i didn't answer directly. In summary:

I. Tabs -- I don't care how it's implemented, i don't have UI skills.
II. "Request" Tab -- Yes, we need this.
III. Suggested market price -- bad idea.

Some players are good at buying/selling, some are not. There should NOT be a suggested market price, it will always be wrong and artificial. Pricing is a dynamic thing; it is a game within the game. And value changes by time of day, day of the week, and sometimes due to game patches.

For example, if you are selling the *only* Iceberg Shield available on the market, you can set it for 60K, and see if there are any desperate takers. If there are too many shields on the market and you want to just unload some loot, you may sell it for 20K. But, having a "40K suggested price" displayed will just cause people to not buy the 60K item, and resell the 20K item.

Selling the only Iceberg Shield late at night is better than selling Saturday morning. This is because people have all day to farm the item instead of buying yours. Also, some players will log in and sell the shield for lower prices. But, late at night it may be hard to get a group to farm an Iceberg Shield. So, timing is everything for buying and selling.

Suggested market prices make no sense at all. The value of an item is what someone is willing to pay right now; that is what the item was worth to the buyer.

If anything, the market can teach kids (i know a 6 yr old that plays PL) playing the game about the free market, and how to buy/sell. This is a good thing, and makes smarter people. It's best not to dumb down the game with socialization and price fixing.

I'd consider that point, thank you. But the way I was thinking is that this "Market Price" will be a guideline for those who are very poor at selling/buying. Thats all.

Satyr
06-10-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure if it's been suggested yet, but why not have an actual auction system where people simply bid what they are willing to pay? The highest bidder on an item wins and the seller is getting the highest fair market value. This would add balance to the prices of all items from the "rare" ones to the truely rare ones. The fees could also be adjusted to reflect what an item actually sells for, also adding balance. I, too, played Evercrack. I played the EQOA version on the PS2 and, if memory serves, they had a true auction system in place similar to the one I've mentioned. There's no real way of knowing exactly what the devs of PL have brewing unless they come right out and tell us, but I hope they really consider this idea.