PDA

View Full Version : Random encounter: Chest Mimic

Gluttony
06-04-2011, 04:10 AM
The idea is simple: make chest mimics. Anyone who knows RPGs, knows about the chest mimic. They're all over the place and this game has plenty of chest that just get left unopened because parties would rather rush to the boss than get the random nothingness out of them. So lets change that.

So random chests come to life and attack the party. I would like them to be extremely rare (as rare as a BS pink or the new fiery weapons of doom), but the payout to be great. These creatures would have vast amounts of HP based on the level of the highest party member (so high level players cannot farm low level dungeons and expect the challenge to be diminished). The reward would be a ring that you can sell in cs or trade via secure trade.

Pros:
Would cause some groups to want to actually clear some maps in order to increase their chances at getting an encounter with this rare creature
The upside is the cs slot left open for rings can now have something to actually fill it

Cons:
Devs will lose money because people may stop buying vanity rings for plat since they are now being dropped

Compromise: Make the dropped rings the lesser plat rings (5 plat) and keep the 10 plat rings only available through the player store. This way players have to pay for better gear, but still have an option to fill their ring slot even if they cannot get any plat on their account.

I've been thinking about this idea for a while now and would like some feedback if to see if anyone else is on board.

NeoQueen
06-04-2011, 05:49 AM
Totally suggested this also so I totally agree. However, I was thinking along the lines of chests giving team elixir type boosts for a shorter amount of time and enemies dropping rare vanity items and having a huge XP bonus for defeating them. Making it ultra rare but with a 100% drop rate would make them worthwhile.

Gluttony
06-04-2011, 10:05 AM
My bad, I didn't think anyone else had suggested chest mimics (I used to love them in old school RPGs); I did a quick search but didn't see anything. I like the vanity drop idea, but I though that vanity items would have to be created in order for that to work out. New vanity items are almost always plat first, players have had their chance to purchase rings, so I though this may be a way to breathe new life into those items (plus the new player store is crowded with them and this could potentially clear out half of them).

DawnInfinity
06-04-2011, 10:07 AM
I really like this idea.

NeoQueen
06-04-2011, 10:10 AM
My bad, I didn't think anyone else had suggested chest mimics (I used to love them in old school RPGs); I did a quick search but didn't see anything. I like the vanity drop idea, but I though that vanity items would have to be created in order for that to work out. New vanity items are almost always plat first, players have had their chance to purchase rings, so I though this may be a way to breathe new life into those items (plus the new player store is crowded with them and this could potentially clear out half of them).

I didn't use tags and it was with some other ideas so you probably wouldn't have found it.

I think any drop would work, especially if it was a created specifically for these rare spawns and there was no other way to get it beside the CS.

Arterra
06-04-2011, 10:41 AM
i have always wanted a way to make chests important, if at all. my previous idea was to have chest-lootable only sets, but giving them the power to drop rings blows it out of the water. and yes, making the 5 plat rings the dropable ones, and sellable ones, might be the best way to go about it. and hey, if it means that either they are weakened, or the bigger rings are made better, well all in the name of balancing.

Conradin
06-04-2011, 11:41 AM
This is sick- like that game fate. It might make me want to actually run dungeons.

superss
06-04-2011, 11:53 AM
I... Love... This... Idea!!!

Gluttony
06-05-2011, 11:28 AM
This is sick- like that game fate. It might make me want to actually run dungeons.

Yeah, Fate has them but there are plenty of games that have them (not limited to RPGs) including card games like Yu-Gi-Oh!, platform video games like Banjo-Kazooie, and even "table-top" RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons. So it's not like I get credit for an original idea, I stole the idea directly from Final Fantasy Series. Guess they're usually just called mimics and not always a hidden surprise in some RPGs. FF IX they look just like chests and jump and attack you after you try to open them. Sometimes they sprout hands and open to reveal teeth and attack the party. I don't think it would take much work at all to animate them for PL.

Screenshot from FF IX found HERE (http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/6/6d/FFIX_Monster-In-A-Box.png).

Arterra
06-05-2011, 12:09 PM
that chest looks photoshopped in FYI

Otukura
06-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Total support!! I love it!!

Simnar
06-05-2011, 08:31 PM
nah no uh uh no way JK!!!

TechniShock
06-05-2011, 08:43 PM
i KNOW THIS OTHER GAME THAT HAS CHEST MIMICS. i THINK THIS SHOULD HAVE THE MIMICS.

Gluttony
09-01-2011, 07:15 PM
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1783/img0945.png

Little credit? I know it's not the application that I was hoping for, and it wasn't exactly an original idea but still... little credit? I'll expect a free mimic in my stash within 24 hours *glares at Sam*

NECROREAPER
09-02-2011, 01:30 AM
FYI there are fake chests in the game, you can find em in lions den and another map I think

Whirlzap
09-02-2011, 10:27 AM
^YOU WANT CREDDDIIIITTTTTTTT.
anyways, chest headed bird...blech. Noty.
I do like the idea. Basically a hooch hat thing going on, except more rare?

Gluttony
09-02-2011, 10:34 AM
^YOU WANT CREDDDIIIITTTTTTTT.

It was just jokes, I'm sure plenty of forum suggestions have been implemented without anyone receiving a reward, just nice to see them added. The chest mimic vanity isn't the greatest thing. I just don't like the new class specific vanity because they all seem to hide the toon's face; strange follow up to addition stats to faces.

NECROREAPER
09-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I like having no one knowing what my face is :)

Snakespeare
09-02-2011, 04:55 PM
LOL, yeah. If we got such awards, I'd get to keep my Halloween costume!

bronislav84
09-03-2011, 04:58 PM
I support this idea, but make the mimics come up at least once a map with a drop table like Sewer pinks so they drop a lot of not good items, but also have a chance at a diamond in the rough.

Also shouldn't this be in Suggestions?
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1783/img0945.png

Little credit? I know it's not the application that I was hoping for, and it wasn't exactly an original idea but still... little credit? I'll expect a free mimic in my stash within 24 hours *glares at Sam*Whoa, where did you get this man? It looks too real to be fake almost. Somebody must have worked really hard in photo shop. And the other items in the image, too. Or is it already real? How come I didn't see it before?

Gluttony
09-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Also shouldn't this be in Suggestions? Whoa, where did you get this man? It looks too real to be fake almost. Somebody must have worked really hard in photo shop. And the other items in the image, too. Or is it already real? How come I didn't see it before?

Thought it was in suggestions. Also, that's a real pic so no photoshopping required. It's in the plat store or you can access it through the new NPC Harvey the haberdasher in Nuri's Hallows. It's for Avians only btw.

bronislav84
09-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Think I remember this thread being in general when I posted. Never mind.

Anyway I must be blind then, lmao. They could just make that head model into a monster, then. It's in the game already. Shouldn't be hard to animate it to bite and jump around if they already got the model. :)

Maybe give it some boss-like skills or something, too