PDA

View Full Version : Would have loved this game but...

Dominik
05-31-2010, 11:56 PM
Seems like i missed a server merge and that might have been a good thing. I can not get a name i like to play this game. Is there any plans for a unused character wipe since i know there is little chance of another server going up. Shame all of the good names i normally use are taken and they arent common names.

pbfreek
06-01-2010, 12:20 AM
You don't love this game because of your character name? That's, uh, unfortunate...

Obliteration
06-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Try harder... Maybe try these...

Oopsididit. Defileddiaper. Rapedungeon. Goosepoot. Trumpetscarf.

Or just get your favorite name, head over to google translator and translate them to another language.

Dizko
06-01-2010, 12:42 AM
You can't be serious.

Advance
06-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Are your perfered names one worded IGNs?
If so, i'm dearly sorry... But I am not willing to give up any of my reserved IGNs.

-Adv

Obliteration
06-01-2010, 01:46 AM
You reserve names... That's a fail.

Royce
06-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Is there any plans for a unused character wipe
I was also wondering about this. Could also solve the below depending on how it's done.

You reserve names... That's a fail.
Yup, hate these self-centered jerks who are more concerned with using and profiting from the community than contributing and being a part of it. Wish STS could find these people, and delete not only their additional accounts, but also their primary one. We don't need people like that in PL.

ed anger
06-01-2010, 09:20 AM
I can not get a name i like to play this game.

it's an MMO on your phone. you're overthinking this.

Sayishere
06-01-2010, 09:43 AM
well for MMOs i use the name Khaki like all the time, when i came to PL someone had it :/ i wasnt going to play because of this! but i wanted to see how the game was with my PSN name Sayishere and well, i havent regretted it since :D

Warchanter
06-01-2010, 09:52 AM
lol at this thread hate a game because someone else chose your name....so if u don't even have a name chosen you haven't even been past the sign up screen lol

SlipperyJim
06-01-2010, 09:59 AM
it's an MMO on your phone. you're overthinking this.
Agreed.

To the OP: If you're still interested, just pick a name that looks good to you. Ancient mythology is full of obscure names (see my sig for two examples) that have some nice meaning.

nerdherd
06-01-2010, 11:09 AM
No, I feel his pain because EVERY name you can reasonably think of is taken. It took me like an hour to find a name that wasn't taken when I created my last character. We have a decent number of players, but I didn't think we had so many that finding a name would already be a problem.

Dizko
06-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Its because of that dude buying all the names.

He's planning to sell them later.

SPACE TIME DEVELOPERS - This is the same as gold farming. Please deal with it.

FloppyLlama
06-01-2010, 11:36 AM
My name worked first try. :D
Be more creative mister.

nerdherd
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Its because of that dude buying all the names.

He's planning to sell them later.

SPACE TIME DEVELOPERS - This is the same as gold farming. Please deal with it.
Yea I remember reading that thread. I wanted to reach through the computer and smack that guy.

flaimdude
06-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Be more original. Like me, haha. :) My old username for everything used to be Flamedude, then I was like "I need an original name." So I came up with flaimdude, googled it, and there were 0 results. Totally original ftw. :)

Dominik
06-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Well i did give the game a try and enjoy it, sorry if i did not elaborate on that, i also finally found a decent name i could use after a ton of tries. I get some of you dont care about names, yet some of us do. Well are all entitled to what we like/dislike. For me i do not feel like investing my time and money running around an mmo with a character with a ridiculous name. If you all want to knock me for wanting to have a good name, each to their own. Its something to look into on the dev side i think especially since there are limited to one server at the moment. Just a question to a small problem i personally had, and im sure there will be others who will be turned off by this as well.

Pleasure_Pirate
06-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Be creative.. There's 2481152873000000000 possibilities. (26 possible letters^13 max characters)

FriedSushi
06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
my igns are always
FriedSushi
Wetphart
danielaq12 <-- this ones never been taken before, but i dont use it unless its a last resort

amn624
06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Seems like i missed a server merge and that might have been a good thing. I can not get a name i like to play this game. Is there any plans for a unused character wipe since i know there is little chance of another server going up. Shame all of the good names i normally use are taken and they arent common names.

Really?

FAIL

Esus
06-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Pshhh, I had no problems coming up with my characters in game names at all...

Royce
06-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Pshhh, I had no problems coming up with my characters in game names at all...

In general, I agree with most of the sentiments in these responses, and I could certainly find a new name that I would have no problem using, but I just wonder how recently you guys picked your names. Things have gotten much more difficult recently. When I originally created my characters, I only had to try a name or 2 to get one that was not in use. Recently with the server merge, I had to rename my 2 primary characters. My Royce character is still a "-Fnord" because none of the names I have tried so far have worked, and I don't want to pick something that I will want to change since renames carry a luxury-item price tag. I think there may be a lot of people out there setting up extra accounts just to hog up names in the hopes of being able to profit off of them at some point. I also wonder how many characters are holding names, and belong to players who have long since deleted the app with no intention of ever returning. Will those names ever go back into circulation?

Esus
06-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Maybe there should be a system where if you dont log in and play 20 mins or more in a 3 month span, that your charaters are perminatly deleted or reset. I've seen this used by some other MMOs...

ed anger
06-01-2010, 04:41 PM
so legolas was already taken?

asommers
06-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Shouldn't be too hard to have the server recommend names close to what you originally entered. We will add this for 1.3.

As far as a deleted character wipe goes, we did that before the server merge in case any Fnord names conflicted with deleted Alterra names. Well, that and to make the process quicker.

-ALS

Dizko
06-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Shouldn't be too hard to have the server recommend names close to what you originally entered. We will add this for 1.3.

As far as a deleted character wipe goes, we did that before the server merge in case any Fnord names conflicted with deleted Alterra names. Well, that and to make the process quicker.

-ALS

But the point is that people like Advance are taking these names, literally 10's and 10's of names they will never be able to use - with the aim of selling them to other people who want them later on. They even admitted it.

What is the difference between that and gold farming?

Gathering in-game resources (Gold, or Names) and selling them for real money.

Advance
06-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Aren't you one to jump the gun?
Who ever said I was going to sell them for real money?
Calm your knickers down, there are plenty names still available.

Royce
06-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Who ever said I was going to sell them for real money?
Hmmm....
You?

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?1605-Which-Igns-have-you-guys-reserved-already

I have over twenty one worded ign reserved, for future use, or for sale.

Do any of you guys have this habit of hogging good names In a new game?

You had 20 a while ago. How many now? And how many of those 20 (or maybe a lot more by now) do you plan to "use"? lmao

FriedSushi
06-01-2010, 06:12 PM
^wow advance, reserving names? Stop being selfish please

Esus
06-01-2010, 06:15 PM
This is how i feel about your "reserved ign's"

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb61/TheMailMan78/slap.jpg

asommers
06-01-2010, 06:23 PM
We have hundreds of thousands of accounts. With at least 1 character per account, that's hundreds of thousands of names (and most of us have more than one character).

I do agree that hunting for a valid name can be frustrating (and an immediate turn off if this is the user's first experience with the game). At some point we'll do a scan for accounts with a lot of characters, or a lot of accounts per device, but I don't think it's that big a problem right now. To solve the OP's problem, I think server recommendation of unused names can be enough.

-ALS

Dizko
06-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Hundreds of thousands and only 400 online?

:(

bopart
06-01-2010, 06:28 PM

lol yea i guess so
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz137/bopart/bopartssig.png

flaimdude
06-01-2010, 08:14 PM

Actually, I've found Alterra to usually be cruising at about 500, even in off-times.

But still, double :(

Advance
06-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Hmmm....
You?

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?1605-Which-Igns-have-you-guys-reserved-already

You had 20 a while ago. How many now? And how many of those 20 (or maybe a lot more by now) do you plan to "use"? lmao

yet my point still stands, nowhere did I mention the fact that I will sell the names for real money, so the reference comparing me to gold farmers is non sensical.

Your point is invalid.

-Adv

Esus
06-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Uh...this is a very sad moment...name hogging...meh

ed anger
06-01-2010, 10:23 PM
with "hundreds of thousands" of accounts, his 20 names really arent a big deal.

the fact is the game is free to try, so lots will try it and not stick around. that's a lot of names, and you don't want to delete people until they've been inactive for quite a while in case they might come back. and nothing pisses people off more then coming back and having their characters deleted.

Royce
06-01-2010, 10:24 PM
yet my point still stands, nowhere did I mention the fact that I will sell the names for real money, so the reference comparing me to gold farmers is non sensical.

Your point is invalid.
Hmmm... Has it struck you that only a moron would say they intend to sell something, and expect the observer to assume they mean to sell something for fake money? Anyway, as every single post in this thread, and the other, shows, you are completely wrong, and engaging in activities that anger community members, selfish actions that are contributing to discouraging newcomers from the game. Do you really think every single poster is wrong, or have you considered that it might be you?

Advance
06-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Has it struck YOU, that we are posting in a message board for a MMORPG, a game which uses a different set of currency than real life. So taken into context, it is to be assumed that I was refering to game money, or don't assume at all.

Selfish actions? What are you? A priest? If you intend for the community as a whole to be selfless, then please give each other what ever they need for free. Oh wait, we're all greedy ****s inside.

So it's no longer about whether i'm wrong or now, it's about who can be the most pretentious internet white knight.

-Adv

Dizko
06-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Oh wait, we're all greedy ****s inside.

I'm done arguing. I <3 you, but I hate broad sweeping generalizations.

Good luck.

ets
06-01-2010, 10:42 PM

Way to take the wind out of their sails!

Dizko
06-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Way to take the wind out of their sails!

I know, I r sorry. But it wasn't to be annoying, I'm annoyed myself that there aren't more on.

Snakespeare
06-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Is there any plan for a unused character wipe...

It would be cool to get at some of the common names that are no longer used.