PDA

View Full Version : Scenario: STS releases a new MMO, and personally hires you as a dev...

Zylx
11-24-2015, 12:33 AM
☆Scenario: STS releases a new MMO, and personally hires you as a dev to help plan and generate new content for the new "Legends" game.☆
Comparing your experience with Arcane Legends, what would you keep, get rid of, change, or add to make the new "Legends" title the best it could be?

*Please note this is just a hypothetical scenario. There are no current plans revealed by Spacetime Studios to expect a new release in the foreseeable future.*

Here are some of my own ideas:

-KEEP: One thing i admired heavily in AL were the astonishing execution of the social features in the game. The slick and smooth social UI is unbeatable and incomparable to any other MMO i have experienced. Area chat, private messaging, guild chat, party chat, etc are flawlessly executed with simple and short commands. Compared to other MMO's that feature whispers, yells, talks, world chat, etc. AL makes meeting people and chatting as easy as 123.

-CHANGE: One thing i disliked about AL was the lack in variety of gameplay. Every map was practically a hack and slash race to a boss, who's either bugged attack ranges or consistently one-hitting attacks was a turn off for players seeking a diverse game that demands strategy and coordinated actions to complete, rather than a series of randomized proc's that determines successful map completions. In other words, no originality in combat and repetitive map layouts. I would implement a more player-interactive combat system that includes a manual way to avoid hard attacks (a timely block/dodge skill) to drive the skill requirement for completing hard maps. Adding swipe gestures for special actions. Adding environmental effects to assist in traversing through mazes of maps with randomized layouts and mob locations (possibly set up surprise ambushes) so each and every run is different.

-CHANGE: Physics and animations. The physics in AL is... somewhat of a letdown. Attacks lack the physical "umph" that i see in some impressive RPG's. The skyward smash looks like the warrior is smashing an enemy with a foam hammer. I wanna feel the earth tremble, i wanna see a crater, i wanna see the enemy pile-driven into the ground struggling to get back up, SOMETHING to tell me that the attack hit hard. Basic attack animations should be more fluid. Instead of a stab-slam-stab-stab-uppercut-slam-slam random attack sequence of a warrior attacking something like a crazy bafoon that attacks all willy-nilly, there should be a more fluid attack combo that is executed in a seemingly breakless pattern. What would be cool is an upgrade tree just for the basic attack, to add more combos.

-ADD: A more diverse skill system. To improve longevity of the game, player builds should be more diverse, yet always balanced. Skills should be unique in both tactical executions and animations. One thing i liked in AL was the marvelous animations of all the mage skills. But the warrior and rogue skills lacked in appearance. To me, the rogue aimed shot and normal bow attack looked too similar and unimpressive. The skill system could also be divided into different factions or subclasses (of course balanced) to inprove diversity and exploration of fundamental player customization.

Feel free to post your own ideas! Critique each other but please be tactful and respectful!

Schnitzel
11-24-2015, 01:50 AM
Me, with interests in Cyber Security, I would:

ADD: (Increase account security) Implement a way to lock an account, (if the user's device number (currently forgot if there is a term for this) and external IP address do not match the usual device and IP address that a user uses to login with, then the account is locked for X amount of time, and an email is sent to the original email prompting them to possibly change their password), to decrease the chance of people being "hacked" (It isn't a hack if you give your info away)

DECREASE: Mob size, so that there is less lag within the game
or
ADD: More servers around the world, to decrease the lag caused by server

Ssneakykills
11-24-2015, 05:34 AM
A new legends game with all the best bits of each legend game in it

Can't go wrong

Arachnophobik
11-24-2015, 05:58 AM
New game should have a good battle system. Something without auto aim, dodgeable/counterable skills, multiple skill combos, good physics where u can juggle opponents in mid air.

Hail
11-24-2015, 08:03 AM
I completely agree with how outstanding the social options within Arcane Legends is, no other game I have played comes remotely close.

One thing I would like to add which follows on your (Zylx) idea on a more diverse skill system is a class that focuses on healing and buffing. For example a priest who has more than one heal (could have things like a healing circle spell (circumference of singe aa) and everyone inside it gets healed over time, a casting HoT and ofcourse a normal heal. Other skills could be like adding a shield around whichever ally you are targeting to absorb x amount of incoming damage.

One reason why I absolutely love mmorpgs is because of how you can uniquely differ your own toon to that of others. Not only this, but who does not love the feeling of opening a brand new class and trying out its abilities and set-ups, what works and what doesn't work. This is probably the best thing in a game and personally I remember how addicted I was to AL when I first tried out the classes and how I envied the rogues that wore rare/epic hats with the feathers in them or the warriors that could slam a giant hammer to the ground.

New game play experiences is what intrigues players, therefore, if I was chosen to become a dev of a new 'Legends' game I would be sure to constantly have these new ideas to implement and keep the ball rolling.
^^I hope this didn't sound like I was applying for a job lol

Dimitrian
11-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Okay so here are mine:

-balance between all classes (a rock-paper-scrissors like thingy)
-ALL dungeons must have something farmable in them
-if the game were to have the same skill system as AL,i'd add more skills and skill slots
-promoting the game lore to players
-the "raid" idea
-if the game were to have elite dungeons,they would be scaled once the level cap raises
-pvp being fun...

About your suggestions:
1) That is a must
2) That wouldn't be good since AL is a mobile MMO.Don't make it too complicateed,cause them people will say "this game is 2complicated4me"
3) As i said before,AL is a mobile MMO,so complicated mechanics don't have what to do here
4) The skill system of AL is fine (at least on papers),the thing is that it is not updated with more skills,skill slots etc. and at some point we won't have where to put skill slots.

In conclusion,the thing that makes AL great (despite huge lack of content...) is that it is easy to play and you don't need much MMO experience to learn to play it.

Ebezaanec
11-24-2015, 11:04 AM
KEEP: Social Features as Zylx said.

KEEP: Simple, but beautiful graphics. I love logging on to soft and cartoony landscapes. It reminds me that this is a casual game. I would be less relaxed if I logged onto Diablo or WoW.

ADD: Timed Run vs Untimed Run for Elites. Basically a second confirmation screen when a player selects a map from the world map.

ADD: Guild Training Rooms/Sparring Rooms. I always felt like this was missing and I'm sure it would have been fun to teach guildies proper techniques and strategies without venturing deep into the scary realm of unrestricted Pvp.

ADD: Item-Lock Inventory & Sell-All Button. As I have said in many, many threads: Lock your tabards, criers, and heraldics. Then hit sell-all!!

ADD: More arcanes and mythics with unique attributes. And by that I don't mean give everyone one. I want to have more variety in equipment, not just "best-in-slot" items for over a year. STG is doing that now with Glintstone weapons, but doing it earlier would have set a more favorable trend towards diversity. Most of the time, it's not the stats of the weapon, but the proc. Look at Maul. It's still desired because of the OP and awesome-looking proc. There are so many different procs that could be used like lightning storms, magma pools, swarm of arrows, etc.

ADD: Buying Section for Auction. Player A can deposit gold at the merchant say 4m for a Nekro. Player B comes to merchant and likes that offer. He/she exchanges Nekro for 4m. It's basically backwards auction. Instead of buying from auction, players post offers instead.

CHANGE: Inflate all stats of gear so there would be stat ranges for different items. For a weapon of 200-250 Dex and 170-190 DPS, I could loot one that has 238 Dex and 175 DPS. My reasoning for this is that it would create some diversity in player stats. It would very difficult to be "perfect," giving some balance in the end. Rich players would be forced to spend more if they were to essentially max out. There would always be demand for gear that is superior (because of all the combinations of stats)

CHANGE: Allow skills to be tapped or "held-down." Imagine a rogue firing a torrent of aimed shots and a mage playing flamethrower with his fireball skill. Or a warrior continuously spinning with Windmill. Of course, holding down the skill would drain mana until it ran out.

CHANGE: Two maps for Events. A short one and a long one filled with more trash mobs. The short one requires an energy point (kit/plat) to enter, but the longer one is completely free to enter. LB runners and players running for plat-tier will need to spend kits to save time. A desirable plat-tier reward will only work in synergy with this model.

CHANGE: Salvageable Arcanes/Mythics. Players can destroy old arcanes/mythics for essences. There will be a comprehensive crafting system that will require the use of these essences. What will it do? There will always be a demand for mythics/arcanes as players will need to destroy them craft. The system would reduce supply so the market is not consistently saturated either. Of course with this model there will need to be more arcanes/mythics anyways. The small amount we have is not enough to meet expectations. If we did this in AL, arcanes/mythics would skyrocket in price.

BIG CHANGE: Potions Cooldowns. This idea may not be popular, but it actually will reduce the need for one-hit mobs. Mages and rogues cannot just run into mobs, because they are glass cannons. They will need a tank to heal them to compensate for being unable to spam pots. Mob attacks will be weakened, but players will need to work together to stay alive. Co-dependency. Try running all-rogue parties without spending a ton on ankhs lol.

I'll think of more later...

Ceuidear
11-24-2015, 12:06 PM
ADD:-

1. I ll add platinum kits of 50,100,150,200 & 250 so players who needs fast gold immediately can trade those platinum kits for gold with those who want to get platinums without spending RC or by completing an offer.

2. Establish more servers in a few major countries to avoid laggs & ensure smooth gameplay.

3. Logo to guilds[Players can add the logos according to their choice] to make guilds look more attractive.

oekeone
11-24-2015, 09:33 PM
As me as a dev: make sns egg and all arcane eggs drop from jarl, make deary drop from massive rengol (00000.1%) chance to loot,make 10m vanity set sell for 100g, make elite rengol mobs have 1hp make pvp 5v1 room,make a arcane pet called poopy that is so powerful that it destroys everything the mobs, even yourself and the whole map , make everything.in cs gold limit reach up to 100g, make plat 1000plat for$1, :)

Killian229
11-25-2015, 01:33 AM
Tanks/rouges shouldn't be able to heal.
Tanks should have stronger (self) attack buff and an average armor party buff.dumb to cut out a classes long time "special" skill(heal) by giving the warrior his own(HoT).burst healer would not be needed if 3/4 others have healing spells of a sort.add in another "type" of damage(elemental).give mages more dodge(fast mind=fast body).Very small decline in mages/rouges damage and dps.small increase in Warriors Damage.Small decrease in 75%mobs damage.Some sort of crowd control skills for each class.Modify how threat is given off.Healing should not override a Warriors agro skills/weapon damage from warrior.
Mage needs a res skill.This garbage of ankhs and plat revives destroys the replay value.All characters at end game should be very close to the same damage(skills will make us different).all rpg's(good ones) give the warrior a very strong persona and to watch these tanks get treated badly is sad.test server would go up immediately, for select players.bring us sets(with set bonuses).jewel to pump our exp Into when we cap.slowly increasing certain stats.every single drop rate would be modified in a way to make it possible to earn legs,mythics ect without the use of a single item.add magic find(reroll will only take you to 100%,magic find could be 10X that.

xmami
11-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Nice ideas from Ebezan...

I would like to see more task based things. Like having to save an npc...and killing mobs while guiding the npc to the end. Basically they follow your character and you have to keep them safe.

I want to see our characters performing actions to get to another part. Like pulling levers, pushing boulders, etc.

What i love is the chat commands. Those are simple and easy. I would also like the option to leave a message for someone. Would be cute if I could use the quest drop box to send & pick up msgs also!

hallowring
11-25-2015, 12:53 PM
As me as a dev: make sns egg and all arcane eggs drop from jarl, make deary drop from massive rengol (00000.1%) chance to loot,make 10m vanity set sell for 100g, make elite rengol mobs have 1hp make pvp 5v1 room,make a arcane pet called poopy that is so powerful that it destroys everything the mobs, even yourself and the whole map , make everything.in cs gold limit reach up to 100g, make plat 1000plat for$1, :)

lmao rolf XD!

Endkey 2.0
11-25-2015, 04:56 PM
Change:Decrease the critical "chance" to something which actually makes it a chance, but not a 100% surety.
Change: The game is called Arcane "Legends", however legendaries in game have worse fate than of commons. Either decreasing the stats of mythics/arcanes, or increasing the stats for legendaries, so that the gear difference only gives an edge to the arcane/mythic players but not complete dominion
Change: Setting roles for each class and giving them APs according to these rolls. Let warriors tank, mages support and rogues kill. Seems like a dull idea. Just add the related APs and just like the flag AP (crazy ap), people will start playing those roles.
Change: Seasonal Leaderboards are required. Keep the Overall Leaderboard so that the Leaderboarders dont hate, but be fair. Almost all the ones on the top do a week of runs, and then secure their spot on the LB. However, people who farm like crazy dont even get a chance.
Change: Keep the shields for the mages please. They look awesome with it, while all the rest just look like wannabes.

Add: cooldowns to skills. AL is basically spam and kill. No timings, atleast not in endgame.
Add: a messaging system to message offline people. However those in friendlist can only be allowed to message you. This will actually promote adding people who you can actually call friends but not randoms.

Heard something about luck gems and stuff like that. Please dont. Luck is called Luck for a reason. Just like critical "chance" is called a chance. Keep them the way they should be

Hail
11-26-2015, 01:04 AM
A mail system would be good too :)

YodtheHermit
11-26-2015, 05:33 AM
Mail system would be great.You could send messages and items to friends.Also the drop rate has to be scrapped and rewritten.I can't tell you how many bosses I have killed in Tindirin for no teeth.Male rogue,female warrior and female sorcerer.Different skin tones and or colors.Spend in-game gold to buy platinum.10,000 gold for 1platinum.Just a few ideas.