PDA

View Full Version : Ingame incentives to use a name we reserved?

bronislav84
06-06-2011, 06:48 PM
So I went out and did the Netflix trial and got enough plat to reserve my Mage's name for SL (Calling it SL now). They kept lowering the plat reward from it so I just went for it before it got too low.

This got me thinking though. In PL you get a cool looking character bound shield, most likely a database marker for STS to know which names are reserved, but we haven't been told what people get in SL for reserving. Will there even be anything? As it stands now once SL launches those who reserved and those who got their favorite name on day one would be indistinguishable. I mostly reserved for the shield really, because unless we get something in SL for the character who's name we reserved, I'm probably not going to even use the name if I can get the one I actually want. Hopefully once the database markers are not needed anymore they'll make the shields stashabale.

So speculations. Who thinks there might be ingame incentives to use the reserved name versus using something else? What should they be? We haven't really been given an ingame reason to actually use the reserved name in SL and it seems like no matter what there won't be any distinguishing characteristics between reserves and non reserves. How about if you actually use the name you reserved from PL you get something? I'll take a cool glowing vanity helm or something else, please.

Actually give us a reason to use the name besides that we paid 50 plat for it, you know? For those quitting PL for SL (I'm gonna play both) that's what it is basically. Paid for it, so gotta use it now or the plat was wasted.

maddogcharlie
06-06-2011, 07:09 PM
im still doing the math on maybe an xperia for just SL .....and the G tab for PL.......two hands so thats cool...wait....darn it only one brain :(
but back to the thread, they 'say' there is much more inventory choice in SL so special items should be easy for them to swing, anyone around when PL started let us know whether they turned out some special early bird items......early bird.....archer....lol...killing myself here lol

Register
06-06-2011, 08:10 PM
hmm but isnt the reward not having your name taken? But yes the shield should be swappable between your characters in SL and PL. That would be cool. But did you get plat by doing the Netflix free trial?

Ellyidol
06-06-2011, 09:08 PM
IMO the reward is not having your name stolen. I'd take that over any vanity reward any day.

Arterra
06-06-2011, 09:12 PM
IMO the reward is not having your name stolen. I'd take that over any vanity reward any day.

think about it: who exactly is going to steal all these names? Some names do need some level of protection, like you and me, or people using high demand names like Thor. But many PL players live a life of anonymity. In fact, many bought them specifically for the shield itself.
Now that raises the question if the shield itself is worth 50 plat lol, but whatever. As it is, it is an "extra".

Ellyidol
06-06-2011, 09:17 PM
think about it: who exactly is going to steal all these names? Some names do need some level of protection, like you and me, or people using high demand names like Thor. But many PL players live a life of anonymity. In fact, many bought them specifically for the shield itself.
Now that raises the question if the shield itself is worth 50 plat lol, but whatever. As it is, it is an "extra".

True. If your name isn't your priority for the 50 plat, then the question definitely moves to "is the shield worth 50 plat". IMO, it's not if your only goal was the shield. But yeah like you said, it's an extra. I didn't even know they gave us shields til recently. Lol.

bronislav84
06-06-2011, 10:38 PM
hmm but isnt the reward not having your name taken? But yes the shield should be swappable between your characters in SL and PL. That would be cool. But did you get plat by doing the Netflix free trial?I'm not really worried about my name getting stolen. I'm more worried about the name I actually want not being available on day one. The shield is basically all I get. As for Netflix, yes.
Now that raises the question if the shield itself is worth 50 plat lol, but whatever. As it is, it is an "extra".That's the point I'm trying to raise here. All we seem to get is name reserve and a shield. Once SL launches, as it stands now, the reserve floats away and the shield is in PL. Nothing in SL at all. Am I really the only one who feels there should be something in SL as well? It's worth having the shield in PL definitely since it won't be available later and it looks freggin cool, but for what it does (Reserve and vanity) it isn't "worth" anything in SL basically. As mentioned before, at the end of the day, once SL launches, those who reserved and those who didn't are equal ingame. I dunno about you guys, and I really don't wanna sound like I'm whining or whatever you call it, but for 50 plat I really think people should get a lasting something in both games and not just PL.

Am I making any sense here?

Arterra
06-06-2011, 10:54 PM
50 plat is 50 plat, you are right... hey, maybe it will count towards veteran rewards for B* lol

Conradin
06-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Lol if someone takes mine that really sucks- cuz i dont have the plat to buy my name.

WhoIsThis
06-07-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm debating with myself whether or not to reserve my name right now. Although I don't publish any guides or have any reputation for being a PvPer (which I suck at to be honest), I still seem to be known. There have been times when I enter a Hideout run and people seem to know me for whatever reason.

Edit:
In PL, I have noticed that the names "Attackbird" and "Attackbear" have been taken. I've never met these characters before, so I don't know if someone is out to impersonate me (doubtful) or if this is purely by chance.

Kraze
06-08-2011, 03:10 AM
All I really cared about was saving my ign as it can sometimes be difficult to grab. The vanity was a nice perk for pl but I really don't expect anything else for star legends. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens

KingFu
06-08-2011, 03:24 AM
I don't see anything passed not having your name stolen. Some people with a name like "dnasfjn" reserve their name, I personally don't see why, since the point is to get your name reserved, not get a shield that looks like a window for 50P but okay. I've had my name jacked in PL, asked the people for it back, took a while but long story short, the people gave me my name back (long story, rather not go into it). So I thought I'd be safe and reserve my name since my names on forums and such, and many people stalk the forums.

The devs are smart, and they know their customers. They add a pretty glowing shield, and boom, it goes from few people reserving to tons walking around with the hard light shield. They got revenue from people wanting to reserve their name, and people that wanted a pretty glowing shield. Smart idea IMO.

Kraze
06-08-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm not really worried about my name getting stolen. I'm more worried about the name I actually want not being available on day one. The shield is basically all I get. As for Netflix, yes.That's the point I'm trying to raise here. All we seem to get is name reserve and a shield. Once SL launches, as it stands now, the reserve floats away and the shield is in PL. Nothing in SL at all. Am I really the only one who feels there should be something in SL as well? It's worth having the shield in PL definitely since it won't be available later and it looks freggin cool, but for what it does (Reserve and vanity) it isn't "worth" anything in SL basically. As mentioned before, at the end of the day, once SL launches, those who reserved and those who didn't are equal ingame. I dunno about you guys, and I really don't wanna sound like I'm whining or whatever you call it, but for 50 plat I really think people should get a lasting something in both games and not just PL.

Am I making any sense here?

Your wanting a name that's already taken in pl for sl is exactly why the 50plat is worth saving the name for those of us who have a name that we want already. IMO the hardlight doesn't look that great but now I don't have to worry about someone downloading the game before me and taking my name.

Lesrider
06-08-2011, 11:45 AM
If they offer too much for that 50p, it becomes less of a luxury and more of a necessity. Yes, it's overpriced -- but look how many people went and bought it for the shield even though they don't need the name reservation. Will get a bit out of hand if more people start feeling they have to buy it for the extras instead of what it's really offering.

But, I guess that's good business on STS's end.

bronislav84
06-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Your wanting a name that's already taken in pl for sl is exactly why the 50plat is worth saving the name for those of us who have a name that we want already. IMO the hardlight doesn't look that great but now I don't have to worry about someone downloading the game before me and taking my name.I don't get what you're saying. I *dont* have the name in PL that I want, and feels like I just reserved for a shield. Why do only a handful of people agree with the thread? You'd think for 50 plat more of us would think something lasting in SL would be a good idea, not just in PL. It's the second most expensive item, first being 10 CS slots for 75.
If they offer too much for that 50p, it becomes less of a luxury and more of a necessity. Yes, it's overpriced -- but look how many people went and bought it for the shield even though they don't need the name reservation. Will get a bit out of hand if more people start feeling they have to buy it for the extras instead of what it's really offering.

But, I guess that's good business on STS's end.I honestly don't need the reserve much and doubt anybody wants my name. It just feels like for 50 plat not getting anything lasting in SL is weird.

Lesrider
06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
I don't get what you're saying. I *dont* have the name in PL that I want, and feels like I just reserved for a shield. Why do only a handful of people agree with the thread? You'd think for 50 plat more of us would think something lasting in SL would be a good idea, not just in PL. It's the second most expensive item, first being 10 CS slots for 75.I honestly don't need the reserve much and doubt anybody wants my name. It just feels like for 50 plat not getting anything lasting in SL is weird.

Because the shield was just a bonus. The name reserve is 50p. If you felt that the shield was worth 50p, that's your choice. They never promised anything more than that. But you bought the shield knowing full well what you were getting -/ so don't go begging for more after the fact.

vulgarstrike
06-08-2011, 12:11 PM
all I know is that no one is going to take the names I already have since they are so out of ordinary.
but I am definitely planning to go on release day and snag a great name. like "yes" or "hi" or "pro" lol

Kraze
06-08-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't get what you're saying. I *dont* have the name in PL that I want, and feels like I just reserved for a shield. Why do only a handful of people agree with the thread? You'd think for 50 plat more of us would think something lasting in SL would be a good idea, not just in PL. It's the second most expensive item, first being 10 CS slots for 75.I honestly don't need the reserve much and doubt anybody wants my name. It just feels like for 50 plat not getting anything lasting in SL is weird.
K if I'm failing at reading please tell me. But you say you are more worried about the name you actually want won't be available on day one. If its free in pl why didn't you create a new charchter in pl and reserve the name?

vulgarstrike
06-08-2011, 12:20 PM
K if I'm failing at reading please tell me. But you say you are more worried about the name you actually want won't be available on day one. If its free in pl why didn't you create a new charchter in pl and reserve the name?

because all the good names were taken by namebots in the first month.

Kraze
06-08-2011, 12:24 PM
because all the good names were taken by namebots in the first month.
And not falling victim to a name bot is enough for some to pay the 50 plat

vulgarstrike
06-08-2011, 12:29 PM
And not falling victim to a name bot is enough for some to pay the 50 plat

see that's the trick. since all the good names in PL are taken, but never played on, no one in game can reserve them. the devs refuse to change or delete a character that never has seen activity (I've asked, for "vulgar").

now, if all the good names are taken on this game and you can't reserve it, why pay 50 plat to reserve a name you had to pick after exhausting your other choices? chances are, your current name won't have much demand in Star Legends either. (ps. definitely going to take Mysticaldream).

I say up the ante and allow any name reservations for 100 plat. of course, this risks people crying about how their PL name was taken, so I understand the devs choice. still, it's not marketable once examined by scrutiny.

Kraze
06-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Like I said in a prior post I've had trouble in other games getting my name so for me it's worth it. I just don't think you should ask for more than what's promised.

bronislav84
06-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Because the shield was just a bonus. The name reserve is 50p. If you felt that the shield was worth 50p, that's your choice. They never promised anything more than that. But you bought the shield knowing full well what you were getting -/ so don't go begging for more after the fact.You heard it here folks. Lesrider if officially calling me a beggar for saying getting no lasting vanity item in SL is bad.

But yea he shield is what got me to do it finally, and so far we get no lasting (Visible) matching item in SL. The name I have was my third choice and is unlikely to be taken in SL, which I accept. The shield and the reserve is worth to me at most 40p, and would be better if there was a matching item in SL too. Would be perfectly alright for 50 then IMHO.
K if I'm failing at reading please tell me. But you say you are more worried about the name you actually want won't be available on day one. If its free in pl why didn't you create a new charchter in pl and reserve the name?Well you asked to be told so yes, you're failing at reading. :)

It's not free in PL or I would have it, and this was actually my third choice. I'm saying that on day one, or two cuz I'm often late, I will try to get the name in SL that I originally wanted in PL. Only the reserves get carried over, and the taken names in PL seem to become FFA in SL. If I get my desired name my reserve will end up on the curb and either unused and locked, or used for an alt. Just feels kinda wasteful from a SL standpoint unless we also get something in SL as well. Do you see what I'm talking about at all?
because all the good names were taken by namebots in the first month.Well said.
see that's the trick. since all the good names in PL are taken, but never played on, no one in game can reserve them. the devs refuse to change or delete a character that never has seen activity (I've asked, for "vulgar").

now, if all the good names are taken on this game and you can't reserve it, why pay 50 plat to reserve a name you had to pick after exhausting your other choices? chances are, your current name won't have much demand in Star Legends either. (ps. definitely going to take Mysticaldream).

I say up the ante and allow any name reservations for 100 plat. of course, this risks people crying about how their PL name was taken, so I understand the devs choice. still, it's not marketable once examined by scrutiny.I'm in the exhausted situation you mentioned. The name I reserved easy my third choice and I'm gonna be racing to use my first choice come launch day. Or at least my second choice. As far as SL is concerned, my reserve is my fall-back and might not even get used.

As for your criticism of their system, don't be so hasty. It's not horrible, but far from what most people envisioned. They could have definitely done it better though. An ideal reserve system would be on a consent rule. Pretend the account is inactive and I want Mysticaldream. I tap reserve, type it in, hit confirm, and pay 50 plat. STS goes and checks how long ago the account that owns the name was used and see that it hasn't logged on since June and doesn't have a forum account under that email, so I'm granted the reserve for SL because they obviously didn't plan to come back. On the other hand, if they are found to be active, they get an email from STS telling them that a request has been put in for a character's name on their account. The owner then would choose to confirm or deny it. Confirm, and I get the reserve for SL. Deny, and I get a refund and don't get the name. I believe this would have been more fair. Allows people to reserve any name, while eliminating name bots or quitsky players from the equation. But eh.

So far this proposal seems to be unpopular. :/ You'd think more people would be for an item in both games, not just PL, especially with some quitting PL for SL come release. I'm gonna play both, but just saying.

Kraze
06-09-2011, 05:07 AM
The shield is what got me to do it finally, and so far we get no lasting (Visible) matching item in SL. The name I have was my third choice and is unlikely to be taken in SL, which I accept.The shield and the reserve is worth to me at most 40p, and would be better if there was a matching item in SL too. Would be perfectly alright for 50 IMHO.Well you asked to be told so yes, you're failing at reading. :)

It's not free in PL or I would have it, and this was actually my third choice. I'm saying that on day one, or two cuz I'm often late, I will try to get the name in SL that I originally wanted in PL. Only the reserves get carried over, and the taken names in PL seem to become FFA in SL. If I get my desired name my reserve will end up on the curb and either unused and locked, or used for an alt. Just feels kinda wasteful from a SL standpoint unless we also get something in SL as well. Do you see what I'm talking about at all?Well said.I'm in the exhausted situation you mentioned. The name I reserved easy my third choice and I'm gonna be racing to use my first choice come launch day. Or at least my second choice. As far as SL is concerned, my reserve is my fall-back and might not even get used.

As for your criticism of their system, don't be so hasty. It's not horrible, but far from what most people envisioned. They could have definitely done it better though. An ideal reserve system would be on a consent rule. Pretend your account is inactive and I want Mysticaldream. I tap reserve, type it in, hit confirm, and pay 50 plat. STS goes and checks how long ago the account that owns the name was used and see that you haven't logged on since June and don't have a forum account under that email, so I'm granted the reserve for SL because you obviously didn't plan to come back. On the other hand, if you are found to be active, you get an email from STS telling you that a request has been put in for your character's name. You then would choose to confirm or deny it. Confirm, and I get the reserve for SL. Deny, and I get a refund and don't get the name. I believe this would have been more fair. Allows people to reserve any name, while eliminating name bots or quitsky players from the equation. But eh.

So far this proposal seems to be unpopular. :/ You'd think more people would be for an item in both games, not just PL, especially with some quitting PL for SL come release. I'm gonna play both, but just saying.
It's only a reading fail if I was mistaken. As you said your first choice is not available in pl. You plan to rush to SL on day one to get it. 50 plat well spent for some no additional items needed.

KingFu
06-09-2011, 05:11 AM
Why do we have to use my name?-.- Eh, I've already reserved:D

Arterra
06-09-2011, 05:39 AM
who else is buying like 10 char slots just to snag names lol... there are a few I've always wanted to have

bronislav84
06-09-2011, 09:35 AM
It's only a reading fail if I was mistaken. As you said your first choice is not available in pl. You plan to rush to SL on day one to get it. 50 plat well spent for some no additional items needed.Exactly my point. There's no incentive to use it because a bunch of us are not using our first choice, so wouldn't wanna reserve it. I did it for the shield and feel like something is needed in SL too. And sarcasm noted.
Why do we have to use my name?-.- Eh, I've already reserved:DIt was just an example. Please don't be offended. :) I should have added that if the name is already reserved that the game would say so and refuse. Would you be for a consent based reserve system like I described though?
who else is buying like 10 char slots just to snag names lol... there are a few I've always wanted to haveOh yea I'm probably going to buy a couple for sure. Can't have less than four. One for each class, plus a mule for junk I just don't wanna throw away lulz.

Kraze
06-09-2011, 01:12 PM
We obviously know very different people in game. I don't know anyone you reserved a name just for a vanity. If it's worth 50 plat to you and people you know more power have fun. Your consent system would not work however. As you described it and continuing to you use mysticaldream as an example (because it makes me lol) I could send a request and pay 100 plat to try and reserve his name. He would get an email saying "Someone has requested MYSTICALDREAM for Star Legends if you want to save your name pay 50 plat now to reserve" there is going to be enough of an uproar when the game comes out and a few people see their igns snapped up before they can download the game be it by coicendence or malice. I really don't think we need to add more drama. As far as the original point abou wanting something in SL nothing was promised when you paid for your vanity. I know someone who saved three names before the vanity was made available just because he really likes his names. So for now you paid just for a vanity item and a third choice name. Will that change? Maybe but I really don't think it's needed

bronislav84
06-09-2011, 10:00 PM
It's worth aboout 40 plat max to me for a shield and name reserve, and a SL item would sweeten the deal. And yes I know a couple people who got it just for the vanity and have no plans to play SL at all.

As for the idea about reserves I don't think you understood it too well there. Reserve. Inactive account is automatically confirmed. Active account the person who's name is being reserved by somebody else gets asked their consent if this other person can have the name in SL. If they say no then the other person doesn't get the name and gets a refund. No fuss, no mess. The consent system allows for "eliminating" inactive accounts who have locked in names that people may want, while keeping people from reserving any name they want because the owner can refuse it. But of course the real owner still won't be guaranteed it unless they grab it on day one or pay for a reserve. Do you understand now?

Kraze
06-09-2011, 10:44 PM
It's worth aboout 40 plat max to me for a shield and name reserve, and a SL item would sweeten the deal. And yes I know a couple people who got it just for the vanity and have no plans to play SL at all.

As for the idea about reserves I don't think you understood it too well there. Reserve. Inactive account is automatically confirmed. Active account the person who's name is being reserved by somebody else gets asked their consent if this other person can have the name in SL. If they say no then the other person doesn't get the name and gets a refund. No fuss, no mess. The consent system allows for "eliminating" inactive accounts who have locked in names that people may want, while keeping people from reserving any name they want because the owner can refuse it. But of course the real owner still won't be guaranteed it unless they grab it on day one or pay for a reserve. Do you understand now?

Oh I understand just fine it's just an awful idea. Look I'm sorry that when you started playing the name you wanted was taken. I'm sorry you paid 50 plat for your third choice name and a vanity and you want more. When SL comes out you'll get your chance to grab that name you want so badly and I wish you the best of luck. But you spent plat on a known item. If it's was not worth the 50 plat unless you got something in SL then why do it in the first place? You got what you paid for. If all these accounts with the most win names are not active you will have the same chance as everyone else. No need to create more drama and hassle.

bronislav84
06-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Do detect hostility? Yes, I do. Did I do something to you that I'm not aware of that you're going off on me? Drama? Hassle? You're the one creating it. I was just asking a question of the devs, making a suggestion, and seeing how many support it.

First of all, explain why its a bad idea, if you really truly understand it. Because you seem to have some kind of preconceptions and don't see how this is the ideal reserve system. You can get any name including inactives, but those who's name you're trying to "steal" can say no. Where's the awful here? You just don't understand it, no matter how many times I explain.

I'm not sorry at all, so you shouldn't feel sorry because I don't need your pity. And if you must know, I did it because the shield will not be available after SL launches. It's a limited time item.

Kraze
06-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Easy there turbo just set down your troll juice its going to be ok. Not agreeing with you does not make me hostile. I really do hope you get this ign you want so badly doubley so if it's inactive. However if you can't see how letting people save names that others are already using may be a problem I honestly don't know what to tell you. The whole point is to reserve the name you have in pocket legends so you can have the same name in star legends. You will get your FFA for names on day one and good luck. For me if I would of had the choice of 49 plat to save the name i wanted and no shield I would of taken that option. You got what you paid for why isn't that enough?