PDA

View Full Version : "Arcade Mode" a Forest Haven challenge

Snakespeare
06-08-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm borrowing the term "Arcade Mode" from other games. That's where you hop on a game as if it is in an arcade. For this purpose, I am calling it Arcade Mode to start raw, with an unverified account, a random character, and do FH I - V solo with quests once, then delete the character.

There are several possible variations for keeping score. You can write down the final gp after liquidating. You can write down the most valuable item you looted. You can track real time from the moment you tap [PLAY] till the moment you turn in the Silkknight quests. I don't believe there are any level 5 pinks or purples, so getting a green could be another thing to be proud of.

The beauty of it is, it's totally free and it can be done in a single sitting. Also, there's no grinding, no farming, no dying/respawns, and when you're done you walk away from it.

The main problem is using it in a competitive way because it's too hard to verify. For now I'm treating it like Solitaire where you attempt to achieve a "personal best".

Here again is the How to Play part, but I am hopeful that others will riff on this and the rules can change:

1. Tap "Use Unverified Account". In a moment the carousel will spin and you will be given a character.
2. Tap "Play" and accept the first random character. Even if you think warriors are slower, if you get a warrior, you play it. This is funny, too, because sometimes the names are just bizarre.
3. Do noobie level. I'm serious. This is good for a level and as much as 30 gp.
4. Go to FH, grab the quests, and the Host a Game with password and enter FH I.
5. Do FH1, return to FH towne to turn in quests and grab more then enter FH II.
6. Continue quests and levels up till slaying Silkknight and turning in those two quests.
7. Write down your progress and delete the character.
8. Either create a new character and go back to Step 2, or Shut down the game. (One problem here is, if your device is multi-tasking like an iPad, then it will take a bit of time for the server to disconnect you. You can't get back to your registered account until the program ends. This is solved by restarting your device, which forces the game to shut down.)

Obviously, this can also be done with a 5 plat character slot, but it's so much more of a challenge when you aren't tempted to go to the stash and get potions.

I've run it three times and had a great time doing it. The toons get to level 3 by the time they fight Meathead and level 6 by the time they fight Silkknight. One warrior got more gold (almost 1400) than the mage (almost 1,100), but the mage had full potions when she entered the fight versus Silkknight. A bird hasn't come up, yet.

If you like, please add to this idea or modify it to your own style of play.

7a. If using a 5 plat spot, Stash your goodies before deletion. ;)

WJJ
06-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Anything to break the monotony. Sounds fun. I will give it a try.

DawnInfinity
06-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Sounds fun, Snake! If I had an extra spot I'd totally try it.

Kingofhurtz
06-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Sounds interesting but I'm not sure I'll end up doing it. I honestly hate leveling and will avoid it at all costs. >.<

Arterra
06-08-2011, 03:56 PM
always hated arcade style games xD

aside from that, sounds like a good way to pass time (just not me lol)

Snakespeare
06-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Sounds fun, Snake! If I had an extra spot I'd totally try it.

You don't even need a spot, Steph. Just use Unregistered Account, then delete when done.

DawnInfinity
06-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Oh, duh. *facepalms self* I'll def do this when I finish up my quests. :)

Silentarrow
06-08-2011, 05:42 PM
This sounds like a fun thing to do, i want to see someone solo till there level 50 that would be fun to see!

Fyrce
06-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Hehe. Random toons sounds hilarious. I'll give this a try next time I wanna FH.

Raazesk
06-10-2011, 04:44 PM
That's a neat idea, I think I'll try that.

Stash your goodies before deletion.
I forgot to do that once. I lost my vanity shield, the silver one whose name name I cannot remember.

Snakespeare
06-10-2011, 05:34 PM
If you do Unregistered Account, give your stuff to a noob before you delete. And use the fake rage-quit emote!!!

Fyrce
06-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Oops. I forgot to rage-quit!

Anyways, here are my 1st 3. Was quite fun to just take whatever random character you get. Not sure if you can get much faster than about 1 hour. Also haven't rolled a bird yet..

MAGE Ocawauecad w/ red robes, lol. Took about an hour, 2 w/ chatting, some lag and going back to FH2 and FH5 to finish quests.
After liquidating grays: 1702gp, forgot to add up pots w/ stash
NOTE: Make sure to go back to town after each level to turn in quests. Did some pot farming -- put pots in stash when have 25/25 pots.
You will probably need about 10/10 pots for FH5, so remember to check before you go far here.
Mostly dropped STR items, so still wearing newbie gear at L6, except for the L6 Student's Black Firebolt Staff right at the end.
Ice, Lightning, later Heal work well. Particularly Lightning.
Best Drop: L6 Student's Black Firebolt Staff, Burglar's Ruined Short Bow (forget level but prob L3-L5)

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l568/fyrcely/1-Ocawauecad-sm.jpg

BEAR Abedaabecaz w/ gray armor. 2nd attempt. About an hour to complete; was lagged badly starting out. Some server connection issues.
After liquidating grays: 1564gp, about 15/55 pots (30 mp stashed, actually used bunch of hp pots)
Got an L2 Broken Axe of Might (+2STR) at 3rd kill in tutorial, which made his kill good. Meathead then dropped an L3 Plain Chain Torso of Strength (+1STR).
Had to do FH5 twice to get bone collection quest done. Stomp works well w/ rage and slash.
Best Drop: Not really anything

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l568/fyrcely/2-Abedaabecaz-sm.jpg

MAGE Iepaonahan, blue-robes. 3rd start. Got better at running mage. Took about 52min total. Had to go back to FH5 to complete bone collection quest.
After liquidating grays: 1771gp, about 28/33 pots
Again, other than custom hat, pretty much did not drop anything wearable for this mage.
Best Drops: Plate Scrap, L4 Robber's Ruined Short Bow.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l568/fyrcely/3-Iepaonahan-sm.jpg

Duke
06-13-2011, 10:44 AM
8. Either create a new character and go back to Step 2, or Shut down the game. (One problem here is, if your device is multi-tasking like an iPad, then it will take a bit of time for the server to disconnect you. You can't get back to your registered account until the program ends. This is solved by restarting your device, which forces the game to shut down.)

Sounds like fun. I may give this a try when I've got some time and a WiFi connection. ;)

One note on this -- you can "force quit" an app on an iDevice. Double-click the home button to bring up the most recently used apps. Press and hold an icon to get them to start "shaking" (like deleting/moving normal app icons) -- each will have a "-" in the upper-left corner. Tap that to remove it from the most recently used list and force-quit if still running.