PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't Players Learn?

Register
06-10-2011, 04:37 PM
There are four types of players I run into a lot.
- Players who are high level but obnoxious
- Players who are high level but can't lead in low level maps
- Players who are medium level but don't know the basics of the game
- Players who are high level but don't know value of Gold

With players who are higher leveled but are obnoxious or rude are people who brag about their high level and treat everybody as if they are inferior to them. These people are constantly dissing the lower levels and not helping them at all. One that I ran into about an hour ago booted me from his/her game for reason "Sorry." I ask the person why he/she booted me and got no reply. The group moved on and i joined the next game to ask why i was booted. He/she said "Must be level 20 or up." I was level 19...But this person had some rule that everybody must be level 20 and up. I was even close to leveling too! This doesn't seem that rude but its that the person assumed that I was like all the other lower levels who spam random skills at random times. I am not one of those people. I know the class and use my skills strategically to maximize the damage.
Some players need to learn that not all low levels are bad at the game

With players who are high level but can't lead in lower level maps...Well, the "title" says it all. I run into so many higher leveled players who hang out in the back of a group as if they are scared of XAXIS in Fathom Crypt. Even as an Avian with low defenses, I was able to kite and dish out more damage then a level 42. I know this because the 42 used taunt and got the aggro from the boss and I was able to get back the boss. That means that I was hurting the boss enough more than the 42 that I stole aggro from him/her. After that I checked the person stats and they were pretty good...until I got to the DPS and Damage. They were terrible.
Some players need to learn that low level bosses cannot do much harm to them.

With players who are medium leveled but don't know the basics of the game, I get frustrated that they don't use their skills properly. With Ursans, its that they dont taunt even though they have great armor and Health. I asked one and he/she didn't even know what taunt was. Another misuse was that they were stomping enemies randomly away far enough that they chased them down, got too far, and the monster came back to heal up. With Enchantresses, its the healing and the resurrecting. Several mages I played with did not res a dead teammate after all enemies were killed at the area and she/he was told multiple times. Many many mages only heal themselves when they need it. Team members end up dead because of that and then they might have to run all the way back if the elf doesn't know to resurrect. With Avians, I don't see problems as much. The role of an Avian is very simple - kill everything in sight. There's no extra "tag" that comes with it.
Some players need to learn to properly play their class to help themselves and other teammates.

With players who are high level and don't know the value of Gold, many waste my and other peoples' time by doing various things. One is trying to buy things like potions for an odd price and then adjusting it a little but keeping it outrageous. One person yesterday asked to buy potions. I had a bunch so i asked how many he/she wanted. The players said 500 so I open up the trade window and ask how much for 500. She/he said 5k. I had the price of 100 health potions from Ellie memorized- 1500 Gold. You could say the price was semi- reasonable but I wanted more for the potions I bought. Then the player adjusted it several times but it remained a bad price for five hundred health potions. Its just very annoying for high leveled characters to do things like ask for 1m for a torch or waste your time trying to buy/sell something for a terrible price. Heres another example... When i was wearing my Onyx Dex Set with my Snowball launcher, somebody asked to buy my entire gear set for 20k...And this wasn't long after Sandstone Caves were released.
Some players need to learn the value of Gold and how they waste peoples' time by buying/selling for outrageous prices.

So next time you see a rude, weak for their level, clueless, or not gold smart player, see if you can fit them into one or more of these categories and share your story of what happened! Know that these are not all of the labels that people can be suited to.

It's not just the labels, it's the individual.
S.E. Hinton

Whirlzap
06-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Theres one type of player i run into not often:
-one who thinks 4 is 3 lol

But to be exact you are right, the amount of clueless level 50+ is increasing

Pharcyde
06-10-2011, 04:44 PM
It's Pocket Legends, the community here is great. Everyone goes through periods of time were they think the community is going to crap. What I always do is I go to Runescape, world 1 Lumbridge for 10 minutes. That gives me a real quick reminder of how amazing our community is. It's like a reality check :cool:

thecakeisaspy
06-10-2011, 04:44 PM

beat me to it

Yvonnel
06-10-2011, 04:46 PM
It's Pocket Legends, the community here is great. Everyone goes through periods of time were they think the community is going to crap. What I always do is I go to Runescape, world 1 Lumbridge for 10 minutes. That gives me a real quick reminder of how amazing our community is. It's like a reality check :cool:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mkcecil
06-10-2011, 04:46 PM
it's pocket legends, the community here is great. Everyone goes through periods of time were they think the community is going to crap. What i always do is i go to runescape, world 1 lumbridge for 10 minutes. That gives me a real quick reminder of how amazing our community is. It's like a reality check :cool:
this ^^

Whirlzap
06-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Lumbridge lol,
Runescape=85% botters
I like this forum because developers ACTUALLY MODERATE IT.
In one game, developers appointed moderators(actual players) to moderate the forums, and devs jusr sat back and did nothing while un-ip banned people flamed the forums....

Same with lots of other forums
Happy to see so much Dev-Player interaction here

But i really want to see them host a live event, with live players, like a race or a monster spawn event, where devs fight with us.

Pharcyde
06-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Lumbridge lol,
Runescape=85% botters
I like this forum because developers ACTUALLY MODERATE IT.
In one game, developers appointed moderators(actual players) to moderate the forums, and devs jusr sat back and did nothing while un-ip banned people flamed the forums....

Same with lots of other forums
Happy to see so much Dev-Player interaction here

But i really want to see them host a live event, with live players, like a race or a monster spawn event, where devs fight with us.

Asommers wants to do that. Only problem is the restrictions of a mobile device. Event of such magnitudes would go all loopy with the servers.

Register
06-10-2011, 04:56 PM
I know i highlighted the bad parts of PL (and not all of them D:) but i didnt say that there werent amazing parts to it as well! And yes...i just took a flashback journey to lummy world 1.....*sniffle*....

Kingofhurtz
06-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Many many Mages only heal themselves when they need it.

By far the one I see the most. Not to say that that's all the mage is supposed to do, but when my bear is spamming health pots, waiting for iron blood to rebuff, and a mage is standing next to me with full health because I'm taking the damage(which of course is a bear's role), I can get pretty annoyed.

grenadiers
06-10-2011, 05:41 PM
the worst has to be level 55 players that dont know what to do when they get gold fever lol

WhoIsThis
06-10-2011, 06:17 PM
the worst has to be level 55 players that dont know what to do when they get gold fever lol

+1 This one has replaced people who go from orb to orb when facing Gurgox.

Kraze
06-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Eh Are there some rude or awful players in the game? No doubt. However there is always an easy fix find a different pug or host one your self. It's a game no need to let it bring rage or frustration. If you stop having fun take a break from the game.

Piosidon
06-10-2011, 06:35 PM
+1 This one has replaced people who go from orb to orb when facing Gurgox.

This reminds when a level 53 got all the orbs because he thought that they were "health" orbs

jaminn
06-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Awsome thread I think you really hit a spot today but um I do have to admit that I'm not the greatest mage even at 55 but that's cause I'm a fighter not so much of a healer usually...hehe sorry everyone I have left hanging in the past...at least I know it

vulgarstrike
06-10-2011, 06:51 PM
you forgot the "Low-Level Player."

not me.
member status :D
no losers there.

Roasty
06-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Well there is one answer that can answer it all! Some goofballs are too lazy to get to know the game and play it normally. I'm sorry if you're one of those people and that this post hurts you, but it's the truth, you can't run away from the truth, nor deny it

Derajdefyre
06-10-2011, 07:59 PM
While I agree that a lot of people are jerks, I think that anyone has the right to boot anyone they want from their game for any reason they want and they don't need to give an explanation. If I'm trying to get friends in a game and I need to boot 10 people out before my friend gets in I'm not going to bother explaining myself to all of them. That isn't being rude, it's just trying to play with a friend.

Register
06-10-2011, 08:52 PM
While I agree that a lot of people are jerks, I think that anyone has the right to boot anyone they want from their game for any reason they want and they don't need to give an explanation. If I'm trying to get friends in a game and I need to boot 10 people out before my friend gets in I'm not going to bother explaining myself to all of them. That isn't being rude, it's just trying to play with a friend.

But you could just lock the game with a password of "applepass" and tell your friend if you want to play with just that person. And the people who you boot for reason "j" think its rude. Nobody wants to be booted for "j." J is evil. So is sorry. And k. Along with too bad. Its fine once but when its happening repeatedly and there's nothing you can do about it, you dont think of every situation as "I just wanna play with my friend." When i am fighting a boss and i need to boot,I at least find them in FH or add them and help them out level or farm or something. I want the PL experience to be enjoyable and to me and many others, being booted for inconsiderate reasons isnt much of an enjoyable experience.
What would YOU do if you were booted several times in a day for reason "Too bad"?

vulgarstrike
06-10-2011, 09:29 PM
While etiquette should be implied, an owner of a game instance can do whatever he wants as long as he stays within the terms of service.
I've been booted for many reasons, such as "too low level" and "too high level" and "sry" and "bye" and "lol" and "f" and sure I feel bad. but it's their right. they can do what they want.

the world is a tough place.
and yes, it has quitters.

Samhayne
06-10-2011, 09:31 PM
The world is a crazy big place full of lots and lots of different peoples.

We love all of our awesome players who make the community what it is, despite a few who don't always add as much. Just remember, we were all newbies once :)

Whirlzap
06-10-2011, 09:37 PM
It's true we were all once newbies.
I remember back at level 10 I kept hearing
"Heal HEAL HEAL MAGE HEAL HEAL HEAL!!!"
And then I saw everyone plop down and I was like
"Having a break guys, how do I sit down like that?"
Then someone booted me after saying "Revive please" and leaving me asking"Whats a revive?"

vulgarstrike
06-10-2011, 09:43 PM
It's true we were all once newbies.
I remember back at level 10 I kept hearing
"Heal HEAL HEAL MAGE HEAL HEAL HEAL!!!"
And then I saw everyone plop down and I was like
"Having a break guys, how do I sit down like that?"
Then someone booted me after saying "Revive please" and leaving me asking"Whats a revive?"

I don't. :) I was an archer. point and press.

To Sam Hayne:
I understand everyone was once a newb, but what infuriates me beyond reason is when peopl stay noobs. People who are way to high leveled to be excused. Jerks who think they are great.
Sometime you must grow up, learn, accept life, and face it.
Or you die. Sometimes I wonder if we removed warning signs such as "Don't feed the lions" maybe all the stupid people would die off for natural selection...

Or I could be way off. Maybe Pocket Legends is simply full of 12 year olds who's mothers spoon feed them. But who am I to judge. I mean, I know that you lovely crew of Spacetime has some developers who harbor ill will towards me.

Life is a funny thing. Perhaps it's not appropriate to reflect upon complaints as a general community.

Whirlzap
06-10-2011, 09:45 PM
"Everyday of life is a blessing"
Imp said that, remember it

Kingofhurtz
06-10-2011, 09:48 PM
So true. We go through looking for all the bad things and taking everything good for granted. "You don't realize what you got til it's gone..."

Whirlzap
06-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Only the wise know this, perhaps a few of those rare philosophers.
Life only leads one path, death.
You either choose to become a smooth pebble for a year or a turmoiling chunk of magma for a week.

Roasty
06-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Maybe Pocket Legends is simply full of 12 year olds who's mothers spoon feed them

Okay that made me a little sad, I am 12...you are making 12 year olds have a bad name. You know some of us are a little mature! I feel offended now...

vulgarstrike
06-10-2011, 10:03 PM
The dependent clause following 12 year olds specifies the entire subject in reference.

davidis57
06-11-2011, 01:25 AM
There are always two sides. I heal with my mage and revive but with GCD we can't spam heal anymore and rez is a skill we have to wait for lag and GCD. Bring pots and help us out in battles and heal yourself especially if your the kind who runs ahead and dies like a dummy. We can't be everywhere at once, fight, heal, and rez. I do my best but sometimes to some players that isn't good enough.

Some players could use a health pot but they either don't have any or wont use one expecting a mage to do it all.

matamurman
06-11-2011, 01:42 AM
I play a 55 bear and I buy 2k pots at a time and don't mind healing myself at all, I also have a mage and playing a mage is a lot harder to play imo u have more to do and I also have a bird and I fnd it easier to stay alive with the bird. But with all 3 chars I'm doing pretty good I'm still under 1000 deaths on all 3 chars combined. And to add I'm 32yrs old in rl and I enjoy playing with he younger kids probably cause I have a 13yr old son I plays a lot of video games with!

Fyrce
06-11-2011, 05:01 AM
LOL. The OP was hilarious. I actually probably have completely the opposite take:

I think most people on PL are nice. I assume when I see new people that they are nice, if maybe clueless. Clueless I can help them with, such as "You should assign your stats" and tell them how.

Therefore, I love when rude people show themselves to me. I say , "Thank you, please don't hide" because how else am I supposed to know not to waste my valuable playing time with these few people? I also like completely-incompetent-people-who-don't-learn to show themselves. And when they turn out to be beggars... or liars... or both.

I have no problems with booting. Yes, I do assume if I can't boot, then it's possible someone else has control of my game. I accept and know this. Anyone who cannot should be starting their own games. When starting your own games, it's good to have friends to invite; but it's not necessary. Depending on the area, lots of people will join. Recent examples: FH, Dark Forest, Fathom, Swamps, PP, BS. Sandstone seemed a bit more lonely, so that one required some pre-arrangement.

I start my own games, go through portals or join friends if/when things get frustrating. Haven't been frustrated in awhile. My main problem is just deciding what to do and finding the time to do it. I also feel bad when I can join a good group for only a run or two; oftentimes I just don't ask to join, even though I sort of want to. My choice though. Now if everyone would play only where and when I want, that'd be great! :)

Which BTW, reminds me, I just leveled a toon from 16 to 20 in a couple hours of play, joining random groups in Fathom (the lower level the group members the better of course to try for more interesting drops). Made some new friends. Yes, some people did not use as many skills as others. I try to tell people to use their skills or friend those doing so. At one point, it was down to me and an equivalent level bird and we moved very well; others joined and before long we had a full group that followed us through the levels. I love joiners. I also admit to a perverse enjoyment when a higher-level-than-the-rest-of-the-group joins, thinking they can lead, and they just go ahead, die and quit. I admit to a (little) chuckle. There's always a few joining the various games. They don't usually last long and provide amusement.

I also admit to enjoyment in leading level 30s and 40s through FH with my L4. I especially enjoyed this L41 who kept telling us to add him... and who was "leading" us low levels from behind. And then he quit.. wonder what we were supposed to add him for...

Yes, lots of players overspend, but hey, it's fake gold anyways. I've given up on trading with anyone who doesn't previously discuss the trade. I'd suggest you do that also and not waste your time. I also tell them privately to stop if they're spamming me. If they do continue, they will likely get booted. I'd recommend you speak to people before entering the trade window. Often a "hm?" when they try to trade w/ you works.

These are all usual problems in any game, and of course, in MMOs. PL is much much better than other MMOs. The devs actually patrol here. I mean, a year later, and there's still a chat and it's fun... come on, that's unheard of. I am grateful to the devs for the environment they provide and to the rude/incompetent players who announce themselves so I can spend more time playing with all the nice players out there.

Thanks!

Register
06-11-2011, 08:28 AM
I think it was Sam that said that we love all of the amazing players in Pocket Legends but I love the "bad" players just as much. Without them, we would have no clue what a proper player should be! Without them we would have no good morals to go by! They form what we think is a good player and we try not to be like them so we don't induce those bad emotions into other that other once induced onto us! So we need those bad players. They are like a guide. But also those good players are a guide too! But where would they have formed their good morals? Maybe from another great player and that could go on but eventually it may come back to that mean or rude or even clueless player. Maybe that clueless person was you and you decided to learn of the game more and of how to properly group a run. And just because you are a clueless person and people yell at you to tank or heal and res doesnt mean that you are a bad player. That just means that you still have a ways to go. So don't judge a player by how good they are or how much they know of the game.

It's not the labels. It's the individual.
- S.E. Hinton

Swimmingstar
06-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Some advice... instead of getting annoyed about teach them something that's the best way. O yea and in pve i barely use combos i just spam all my skills

Fyrce
06-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Um, I do combos and look for opportunities to do so. I use PUGs to test how good I am at fitting into random play.
Quite often, you find another player who meshes very well with you and we combo together. It's like a dance and it's beautiful.
And fast.

Roasty
06-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I have lots of noob inside me, I don't care about combos, or sometimes gear. All I do is kill stuff! Isn't that the point anyway?! KILL STUFF!!!

Register
06-11-2011, 12:01 PM
I do try to teach them but they never listen lol.
i was playing with two people yesterday that would stomp at the very same time- right when it recharges. And they would always be in the worst places to do so. I kept telling em over and over to at least stomp them to a wall so that they arent completely seperated...they said ok and then they kept doing it through a map and i just left after that lol...

Zeusofire
06-11-2011, 01:01 PM
I cannot understand people who dont understand the value of gold or people who are rude and obnoxious because of their level. I can however understand some mid level to even high level characters who are not familiar with their spells or their roles in the team. I dont like it but i barely know how to use my avian. and he is level 52!!! I wouldn't quite call these the basics of the games... it even took me a little while to understand the role of my mage

Swimmingstar
06-11-2011, 01:18 PM
i have lots of noob inside me, i don't care about combos, or sometimes gear. All i do is kill stuff! Isn't that the point anyway?! Kill stuff!!!

kill the bandits!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ishadowera
06-11-2011, 03:11 PM

lmao you got to the thread first, too funny

Register
06-13-2011, 02:15 PM
I feel that some players, including me, need to learn just a bit more about the game. I admit that I have stupid questions or sometime screw up a room but me and many others try their best :D
Dont bag on somebody because they dont do their job exactly correct because more than likely you aren't doing it "exactly" correctly either.

cjackyo
06-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Pretty sure, but that's 4 types of players. 1,2,3,4. Ya 4. Lmao :)

Dethwarior
06-13-2011, 02:42 PM
If a mage doesn't res someone my whole party will stand by the dead body or not fight until ressurected