PDA

View Full Version : Please explain Guilds...

Furrawn
06-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Hi, y'all...

What are guilds for? How does a person start a guild? What happens in a guild?

Be gentle.

I'd rather the community explain to me than googling it... It would be difficult to sift through what's true if I google...

Note: I did go to the guilds section but it didn't have the info I needed... And more people are in the discussions section if I'm going to post a question...

Gwendaline
06-02-2010, 12:49 AM
Hi, y'all...

What are guilds for? How does a person start a guild? What happens in a guild?

Be gentle.

I'd rather the community explain to me than googling it... It would be difficult to sift through what's true if I google...

Note: I did go to the guilds section but it didn't have the info I needed... And more people are in the discussions section if I'm going to post a question...
Constructing a guild is no easy task. It involves hard work, and teamwork. The purpose of having a guild is to form a brotherhood. Once established you take on new members. Some may be friends, and some strange. You help each other grow and learn. You share with one another, and you take over the world together. A lot of the time guild members are sent on quests by the Guild leader to acquire items. Items that help to expand the guild. Sometimes veteran players will help new guild members complete quests. There aren't any quests in PL yet but hopefully there will be soon. The game we are playing is a very basic MMo so thus far. Usually in a mmorpg there are hundreds, and even thousands of quests set in place by the NPCs that you can find throughout the townes and pve maps. NPC= Non Player Character. Its intense Furrawn But We Will Get THERE!! :) Hopefully

Diz
06-02-2010, 01:39 AM
A guild [or clan] is a group of individuals who organize in order to share mutual benefits. Typically guilds are formed in order to facilitate and promote a specific style of play, while striving to uphold certain core values or beliefs. Guilds usually have goals and work together to achieve these goals. There are many types, more than you would think at first - there are PvP-oriented guilds, there are PvE-based guilds, there are Role Playing guilds, there are merchant guilds, there are spy guilds, there are PK guilds, there are newbie/lowbie guilds, the types of guilds are too many to list. Guilds facilitate and foster organization, structure, and trust among the members. They are usually the main reason to play an MMO - or maybe I should say "usually the main reason to continue playing an MMO [after a certain point]". Whether or not they will be a boon or a trivial pursuit in Pocket Legends remains to be seen.

Gwendaline
06-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Exactly what I said...

Samhayne
06-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Also, right now there aren't tools in game to manage and support Player Organizations (Guilds, Clans, or whatever you want to call them). However, if you take a look at what the Development Team has planned (check out this post Development Release Schedule (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?1386-Development-Release-Schedule)) you can see that they're planning on adding stuff to the game to do just that.

So, for right now, people are organizing guilds here via the forums or by making their own website with forums and member lists and stuff. Check out the Guilds Forum (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/forumdisplay.php?23-Guilds) if you want to find out more about what players are doing now.

Stay tuned for more details :)

Gwendaline
06-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Ty Sammy Sam Sam

Furrawn
06-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Also, right now there aren't tools in game to manage and support Player Organizations (Guilds, Clans, or whatever you want to call them). However, if you take a look at what the Development Team has planned (check out this post Development Release Schedule (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?1386-Development-Release-Schedule)) you can see that they're planning on adding stuff to the game to do just that.

So, for right now, people are organizing guilds here via the forums or by making their own website with forums and member lists and stuff. Check out the Guilds Forum (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/forumdisplay.php?23-Guilds) if you want to find out more about what players are doing now.

Stay tuned for more details :)

Thanks, Samhayne (fantastic moniker btw)...
Before I posted this thread, I read all the threads on the guilds section. Unfortunately, if there is a "Guilds for Dummies," I missed it:( I don't understand what work needs to be done to create one... To upkeep one.... Why make my own versus joining one... I know
I can go to the guilds forum to create a guild but other than naming one, I don't understand all that's involved in the creating and maintaining of the guild once spacetime supports guilds in games. Are there levels of guilds? What is necessary for a great happy guild? I saw one guild that wants schedules for when people can play- is that necessary? I looked at sites some guilds have created- do all guilds need sites with their own forums, etc?

Sorry for all the questions:(

Druc
06-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks, Samhayne (fantastic moniker btw)...
Before I posted this thread, I read all the threads on the guilds section. Unfortunately, if there is a "Guilds for Dummies," I missed it:( I don't understand what work needs to be done to create one... To upkeep one.... Why make my own versus joining one... I know
I can go to the guilds forum to create a guild but other than naming one, I don't understand all that's involved in the creating and maintaining of the guild once spacetime supports guilds in games. Are there levels of guilds? What is necessary for a great happy guild? I saw one guild that wants schedules for when people can play- is that necessary? I looked at sites some guilds have created- do all guilds need sites with their own forums, etc?

Sorry for all the questions:(

Unfortunately twelve different people are going to tell you twelve different things when it comes to guilds as the options are endless. Ultimately it's pretty simple, YOU do what YOU want. If you're going to start a guild, get a bunch of like-minded people together and take it from there, some people are hardcore into guild creation and membership (tracking members play time, getting them organized on Ventrilo servers to communicate, creating forums for members to chat, etc) and some are casual gamers that just stick with each other and have fun playing the game(not that the first group of people don't have fun as well :) ). Do you want to focus on PvP? PvE? Do you want to focus on collecting items for trading/selling? or just have fun playing the game and not worrying about anything. There are really endless options on how you want to approach creating a guild, but one thing stands out amongst everything else, it needs to have a kickass name :)

Joining a guild is pretty much the same as well, what type of player are you? Hardcore or Casual? Do you enjoy PvP or just playing the game? There are always a few guilds the represent each of the different play styles and you really just need to see where you fit in and what you'd like to see in a guild. From my years of experience with guilds over various games there is really one main aspect that stands out and that is comradery, a group of people together that want to achieve a similar goal, and help each other and have fun along the way.

Hope that helps somewhat, it can get kinda overwhelming with the amount groups out there. But if you do some digging, read some of the members posts here and in their own forums, you'll most likely find a place and a group that has the same approach as you. And if you can't find something that suits you, maybe think of creating your own guild, there's always people out there that may see what you have to offer, be it strict guidelines or not, and want to join you in your rag-tag group.

Just my .02, hope that helps a little...

Gwendaline
06-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Unfortunately twelve different people are going to tell you twelve different things when it comes to guilds as the options are endless. ...

K Tanks Pewrson numba twee..

Diz's Explanation was perfect.

Furrawn
06-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Unfortunately twelve different people are going to tell you twelve different things when it comes to guilds as the options are endless. Ultimately it's pretty simple, YOU do what YOU want. If you're going to start a guild, get a bunch of like-minded people together and take it from there, some people are hardcore into guild creation and membership (tracking members play time, getting them organized on Ventrilo servers to communicate, creating forums for members to chat, etc) and some are casual gamers that just stick with each other and have fun playing the game(not that the first group of people don't have fun as well :) ). Do you want to focus on PvP? PvE? Do you want to focus on collecting items for trading/selling? or just have fun playing the game and not worrying about anything. There are really endless options on how you want to approach creating a guild, but one thing stands out amongst everything else, it needs to have a kickass name :)

Joining a guild is pretty much the same as well, what type of player are you? Hardcore or Casual? Do you enjoy PvP or just playing the game? There are always a few guilds the represent each of the different play styles and you really just need to see where you fit in and what you'd like to see in a guild. From my years of experience with guilds over various games there is really one main aspect that stands out and that is comradery, a group of people together that want to achieve a similar goal, and help each other and have fun along the way.

Hope that helps somewhat, it can get kinda overwhelming with the amount groups out there. But if you do some digging, read some of the members posts here and in their own forums, you'll most likely find a place and a group that has the same approach as you. And if you can't find something that suits you, maybe think of creating your own guild, there's always people out there that may see what you have to offer, be it strict guidelines or not, and want to join you in your rag-tag group.

Just my .02, hope that helps a little...

Gwen- all the comments were thoughtful and helpful :)

Diz & everyone- thanks for any comments you've made... I started out knowing nothing and now there is at least an imagined structure in my brain now:)

Druc~
Thanks for going deeper and explaining more... Your words helped a lot to get a better grasp of the social dynamics I'm afraid I need a guild mentor:)
Does such a thing exist? Lol I have a kickass name ready:) I think need to learn how to start my own ragtag guild:)

Any suggestions there?

HectorCruz
06-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Yes! Ragtag! That's what I need! I'm in!

I've never done this either, but I think the first step, perhaps is making a forum (with a chatbox of course): http://www.forumotion.com/

Then sort of, making a 'posse maniphesto' about the guild's dreams and aspirations and rules and the likes...

Then maybe a logo. I'm sure Redryder would love to make one for you, if he's around.

Then posting stuff about it in the Guilds Forum on this site.

I think that's pretty much a simplified version of the process, I might have left out some important parts that people will most certainly fill in.

Furrawn
06-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Yes! Ragtag! That's what I need! I'm in!

I've never done this either, but I think the first step, perhaps is making a forum (with a chatbox of course): http://www.forumotion.com/

Then sort of, making a 'posse maniphesto' about the guild's dreams and aspirations and rules and the likes...

Then maybe a logo. I'm sure Redryder would love to make one for you, if he's around.

Then posting stuff about it in the Guilds Forum on this site.

I think that's pretty much a simplified version of the process, I might have left out some important parts that people will most certainly fill in.

ok. I have the guild name. In the morning, I'll go to the link you posted.
Hmmmm... Redryder doesn't know me... Think he'd want to make one? Of course the logo idea & posse manifesto needs written... But I'd want everyone in the guild to come up with the guidelines...

I'm a roundtable kind of person:). A ragtag roundtable:)

Gwendaline
06-03-2010, 01:07 AM
But I'd want everyone in the guild to come up with the guidelines...

1st RULE: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB.
2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about FIGHT CLUB.

3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out the fight is over.

4th RULE: Only ten guys to a fight.

5th RULE: Everyone fights as a group..

6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.

7th RULE: Fights will go on as long as they have to.

8th RULE: If this is your first night at FIGHT CLUB, you HAVE to fight.

Druc
06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Druc~
Thanks for going deeper and explaining more... Your words helped a lot to get a better grasp of the social dynamics I'm afraid I need a guild mentor:)
Does such a thing exist? Lol I have a kickass name ready:) I think need to learn how to start my own ragtag guild:)

Any suggestions there?

Glad I could help, as for a 'guild mentor' I've always just picked it up from the leaders of the guilds that I've been in the past and taken bits here and there that I liked and molded it for my own. Everyone has a different style on how they want to run the ship so it's really just you're call, but you need to be able to take criticism on what you're doing wrong as well as members will speak their mind on what they want to see and experience with the group. If you can't provide it, don't be afraid to ask for help as most of the time your members want to see the guild prosper just as much as you. That's where ranking systems help within the guild as well, to promote those people that are giving a bit more then the others to help with the overall experience and people always like recognition for their work.

As mentioned a forum is probably the best way to start, and with that maybe a guild charter stating what you're bringing to the table and letting people know the type of play style you want to see. An application is always nice just to weed out those who aren't really serious about joining and are just looking for free stuff (happens alot). From there it's just building your community and everything should grow naturally from there and If you ever get stuck that's what these forums are for, people are always willing to lend a hand...

Furrawn
06-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Druc~

Thanks! The "I need a guild mentor" was just meant to make you smile... I like having different points of view to work out my own view...

How does a ranking system work? People like the responsibility and leadership indicated by a higher rank so they work towards it? And it also works to reward the people who are involved and really help out a lot?

Diz
06-03-2010, 12:52 PM
The structure of a guild is just like a company. The higher ranking members typically have more responsibility. Whether or not they hold more power than lower ranking members depends on the way the guild is organized. There are a TON of different ways to structure a guild. Some guilds like, lets take Silentreaper's "The Avengers" for example - anybody who calls themself "Guild Owner" is probably running their guild with a tight grip, calling the shots, etc. Some guilds are based upon democratic voting. Some guilds are based upon democratic voting while leaving an IC [Inner Circle/Council] to make important 'executive' decisions when and if the opportunity arises. An example of an "executive" decision would be the highest ranking member, or present IC members, in a given situation making a call and the rest of the members pretty much just following suit (if the situation doesn't have the luxury of time and debating). Like, say, arranging a PvP battle between one guild and another for super-serious reasons on-the-fly. In more hardcore MMOs, like the ones you play on your PC, these decisions usually come with serious ramifications that can be positive or negative.

The structure of a guild can make or break everything. To be honest you can usually tell what guilds are going to be around by who is running them and what type of players make up the guild.

Strong guild leaders are those who always focus on the guild, no themselves or their ego or for personal gain. Strong guild members are those who will always have your back in a pinch, always be willing to help each other out, show loyalty and display trust, and voice their opinion on matters and decisions that will impact the guild in a good or bad way.

None of the guilds in Pocket Legends are super serious, but I can certainly see guilds becoming somewhat coherent as time goes on and the possibilities for guild dynamics becomes apparent [like, say, when they patch in guilds and a reason for guilds to exist].

THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXAMPLE OF MY GUILDS CORE VALUES [not a Pocket Legends guild, a PC gaming guild]. MAYBE THIS WILL HELP YOU TO UNDERSTAND HOW SERIOUS AND INTIMATE THEY CAN BE -

Guild Core Values

Guild Ownership

Complete game understanding
Clearly understands The Empyreans' goal to be the most respected and successful guild on the server. Knows about everything and everyone in the guild. Understands the game, knows about every dungeon and most quests. Could list important items and where to get them for any given class.

Guild-wide perspective
Able to assess broader and deeper impact of decisions. Focuses on what is right for the guild. Makes decisions first for the betterment of the guild, then the class, and lastly for self benefit.

Finding great people
Raises the bar by recruiting better and better people. Refers great people. Consistently contributes relevant feedback on applicants and probationary members. Asks the tough questions. Assists in assimilation of new members.

Agility & Flexibility

Continuous innovation
Always looks for ways to make The Empyreans better and take us to the next level. Makes decisions for long-term success. Not afraid to suggest bold ideas and goals.

Dealing with ambiguity
Able to function well in loosely structured situations. Works effectively in situations involving uncertainty or lack of information. Is open to and responds flexibly to change.

Composure
Handles unexpected events calmly. Helps other guildies thrive in stressful situations. Identifies and manages stress due to lack of control. Acts with the highest level of maturity during crisis situations. Looks immediately for resolution rather than placing blame.

Effective Guild Member

Achievement of the Right Results

Teamwork and willingness to roll up sleeves
Builds and promotes guild morale. Contributes to the guild outside the scope of their own role. Consistent effort, intense commitment, and willingness to go above and beyond when needed. Willing to do low profile, non-challenging repetitive grind for the benefit of the guild.

Reliability, dependability
Turns up for most raids, and let's people know in advance if they can't make a commitment. Acts in a dependable manner, never needs to be asked twice to do something.

Persuasive, yet not political
Demonstrates healthy and productive influencing ability. Gains the respect and confidence of others. Builds constructive and effective relationships. Influences others and sells ideas. Able to understand the diverse needs, styles and feelings of others and acts accordingly to find a common ground.

Interpersonal skills

Develops and maintains good working relationships with others. Treats others with respect. Builds trust and rapport. Able to recognize and understandhow he/she affects others.

Contribution to Guild Environment

Open communication
Willing to ask and honestly answer the tough questions. Treats others' opinions with respect. Fosters open communication and candid discussions. Shares information that helps others improve.

Self development and teaching
Understands personal strengths and development needs (weaknesses). Seeks and shares class/encounter relevant learning, experiences, and feedback to enhance performance. Encourages others to take personal responsibility for continual learning and skill growth. Shares knowledge with others.

Fun
Has fun on the game. Makes it easy for others to have fun, but in a respectful and non-offensive manner, never at the cost of another's dignity.

Druc
06-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Druc~

Thanks! The "I need a guild mentor" was just meant to make you smile... I like having different points of view to work out my own view...

How does a ranking system work? People like the responsibility and leadership indicated by a higher rank so they work towards it? And it also works to reward the people who are involved and really help out a lot?

Ha, well you got a smile out of me for sure, I'm glad I'm able to help :)

Diz pretty much lays it out there for you, guild ranks are usually one of the core aspects. They just add another part to the game where you're not focused entirely on your characters and leveling, you are able to actually build a community with the people that play the game and having them be a part of the experience...yeah..I know that sounds kind of cheesy..

I'll give you a quick example from a clan I was in when Diablo first came out. It was, as Diz mentions, a Democratic voting with a High Council making the overall decisions on the promotions of the players based on time in the guild, time in the forums/chat channel, and overall merit (Diablo wasn't really an intense guild-like game so most of the time we just shot the breeze in the chat channel)

Hierarchy:
King/Queen: (They had the final say over all decisions made, this position rotated also few times as life tended to have people drop out of the game or couldn't commit as much as they or the guild wanted, when this time came, voting for their replacement came from a High Council member and was voted on by the entire guild )
High Lord/Lady: (The 'Inner Circle' as Diz mentioned, these were the decision makers along with the King/Queen)
Lords/Ladies: (The 'higher' ranked players for their involvement, they typically were appointed 1 or 2 squires under their belt to 'train' by the HC)
Squires: (Newly appointed members, this is where the majority of the players where and were voted upon to make the jump to a Lord/Lady given a specific amount of time and recommendation from their appointed higher up)
Recruits: (New applicants fell here, they were given a specific time-frame that the High Council agreed on to be involved with the guild, if the HC felt the recruit did not meet the requirements, their application would be rejected)

This really did give the player base something to strive for if they wanted too. In this case many of the players were happy with the Squire title, but those players that did want to be something more stood out and were rewarded.

So this is one of MANY ways you can take a guild and have as few or in the case of some of the guilds I've spotted on PL as MANY ranks as you see fit. Really the first thing it comes down too is how you want it setup...

Furrawn
06-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Diz & Druc-

Thank you... Thank you... Thank you....
Have I told you that you are both wonderful?
No? Well, then...

Diz & Druc- you are both wonderful...

I'll talk to potential guild mates and work on core values...
Then, I'll be back here with more questions:)

Diz- I'm definitely a roundtable democratic sort of person. So I think I'll make a roundtable for my High Council:)

HectorCruz
06-03-2010, 11:07 PM
RedRyder is pretty generous. He's not playing right now, but might be lurking in the forums. If he's got time and you ask him really nicely, I bet he'd do it. He draws. Rebel is apparently wicked good at photoshop stuff, so you could ask him too. Diz and Druc, you guys clearly know your guild structures, nice work.

Gwendaline
06-03-2010, 11:12 PM
The structure of a guild is just like a company. The higher ranking members typically have more responsibility. Whether or not they hold more power than lower ranking members depends on the way the guild is organized. There are a TON of different ways to structure a guild. Some guilds like, lets take Silentreaper's "The Avengers" for example - anybody who calls themself "Guild Owner" is probably running their guild with a tight grip, calling the shots, etc. Some guilds are based upon democratic voting. Some guilds are based upon democratic voting while leaving an IC [Inner Circle/Council] to make important 'executive' decisions when and if the opportunity arises. An example of an "executive" decision would be the highest ranking member, or present IC members, in a given situation making a call and the rest of the members pretty much just following suit (if the situation doesn't have the luxury of time and debating). Like, say, arranging a PvP battle between one guild and another for super-serious reasons on-the-fly. In more hardcore MMOs, like the ones you play on your PC, these decisions usually come with serious ramifications that can be positive or negative.

The structure of a guild can make or break everything. To be honest you can usually tell what guilds are going to be around by who is running them and what type of players make up the guild.

Strong guild leaders are those who always focus on the guild, no themselves or their ego or for personal gain. Strong guild members are those who will always have your back in a pinch, always be willing to help each other out, show loyalty and display trust, and voice their opinion on matters and decisions that will impact the guild in a good or bad way.

None of the guilds in Pocket Legends are super serious, but I can certainly see guilds becoming somewhat coherent as time goes on and the possibilities for guild dynamics becomes apparent [like, say, when they patch in guilds and a reason for guilds to exist].

THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXAMPLE OF MY GUILDS CORE VALUES [not a Pocket Legends guild, a PC gaming guild]. MAYBE THIS WILL HELP YOU TO UNDERSTAND HOW SERIOUS AND INTIMATE THEY CAN BE -

Guild Core Values

Guild Ownership

Complete game understanding
Clearly understands The Empyreans' goal to be the most respected and successful guild on the server. Knows about everything and everyone in the guild. Understands the game, knows about every dungeon and most quests. Could list important items and where to get them for any given class.

Guild-wide perspective
Able to assess broader and deeper impact of decisions. Focuses on what is right for the guild. Makes decisions first for the betterment of the guild, then the class, and lastly for self benefit.

Finding great people
Raises the bar by recruiting better and better people. Refers great people. Consistently contributes relevant feedback on applicants and probationary members. Asks the tough questions. Assists in assimilation of new members.

Agility & Flexibility

Continuous innovation
Always looks for ways to make The Empyreans better and take us to the next level. Makes decisions for long-term success. Not afraid to suggest bold ideas and goals.

Dealing with ambiguity
Able to function well in loosely structured situations. Works effectively in situations involving uncertainty or lack of information. Is open to and responds flexibly to change.

Composure
Handles unexpected events calmly. Helps other guildies thrive in stressful situations. Identifies and manages stress due to lack of control. Acts with the highest level of maturity during crisis situations. Looks immediately for resolution rather than placing blame.

Effective Guild Member

Achievement of the Right Results

Teamwork and willingness to roll up sleeves
Builds and promotes guild morale. Contributes to the guild outside the scope of their own role. Consistent effort, intense commitment, and willingness to go above and beyond when needed. Willing to do low profile, non-challenging repetitive grind for the benefit of the guild.

Reliability, dependability
Turns up for most raids, and let's people know in advance if they can't make a commitment. Acts in a dependable manner, never needs to be asked twice to do something.

Persuasive, yet not political
Demonstrates healthy and productive influencing ability. Gains the respect and confidence of others. Builds constructive and effective relationships. Influences others and sells ideas. Able to understand the diverse needs, styles and feelings of others and acts accordingly to find a common ground.

Interpersonal skills

Develops and maintains good working relationships with others. Treats others with respect. Builds trust and rapport. Able to recognize and understandhow he/she affects others.

Contribution to Guild Environment

Open communication
Willing to ask and honestly answer the tough questions. Treats others' opinions with respect. Fosters open communication and candid discussions. Shares information that helps others improve.

Self development and teaching
Understands personal strengths and development needs (weaknesses). Seeks and shares class/encounter relevant learning, experiences, and feedback to enhance performance. Encourages others to take personal responsibility for continual learning and skill growth. Shares knowledge with others.

Fun
Has fun on the game. Makes it easy for others to have fun, but in a respectful and non-offensive manner, never at the cost of another's dignity.

http://aoc.wikia.com/wiki/Guild:The_Empyreans <<< Is this your Guild? Is this Game Cool?

Diz
06-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Yes we played AoC at release, but that was about two years ago. Was AoC cool? No; we grinded to end game, built a castle, realized how broken sieging and PvP mechanics were, and quit. If you're asking whether or not Pocket Legends is cool, then the answer is OF COURSE!

Furrawn
06-04-2010, 12:22 AM
RedRyder is pretty generous. He's not playing right now, but might be lurking in the forums. If he's got time and you ask him really nicely, I bet he'd do it. He draws. Rebel is apparently wicked good at photoshop stuff, so you could ask him too. Diz and Druc, you guys clearly know your guild structures, nice work.

I'm a great photographer but my photoshop skills are minimal:( It's amazing how many talented people there are on the forum. Guild mottos- Latin? I need to have an idea of what I'd want drawn/created first before I beg for their creative skills, huh? :).

Hector-
I went to the link you gave me and created a forum. It's a shell, but it's a start:)