PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding this upcoming game

j46g629h
06-12-2011, 06:43 AM
I just watched this game play video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuyCOdwtvdk

then I found that the interfaces, game play, contents of this game are so similar to PL
examples:
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/8937/screenshot20110612at925.png

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5061/screenshot20110612at926.png

My question is, as it is similar to PL, why do I have to play this game if I'm currently playing PL. Or why do I have to continue playing PL if I decide to play this game? This might effect both games.

Anyway, that's just my question because we don't see much information about this game at the moment and I thought this would be a completely new game experience:(.

NeoQueen
06-12-2011, 07:50 AM
You don't HAVE to play either one. Yes, the mechanics are the same and some of the game play, but there are different aspects to B*. For example, strategy is required for certain bosses and to access rooms. Ie...u have to be a certain class to open this door or a higher level of another class to get through, random chest spawnings, things like that.

It's bound to be similar due to it being the same company, but they are trying to implement things that are specific to each game.

thugimmortal
06-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Now that video rocked dude i cant wait to play it

there will be many differences between the two games
the only reason the interfaces are similar is so that we are familiar with it and know what we are doing

j46g629h
06-12-2011, 10:07 AM
You don't HAVE to play either one. Yes, the mechanics are the same and some of the game play, but there are different aspects to B*. For example, strategy is required for certain bosses and to access rooms. Ie...u have to be a certain class to open this door or a higher level of another class to get through, random chest spawnings, things like that.

It's bound to be similar due to it being the same company, but they are trying to implement things that are specific to each game.

Well, did you ever play ao3? doesn't it require strategy for each boss? what about bs?

What I wanted to say is STS spent a lot of time and work on SL development and it now looks like PL, at least for me

I like PL but was hoping SL would be a new game experience too

Does it make sense if they both are too similar!!

Maybe I expect too much.

Phoenixking
06-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Ok i understand some of your point but these have new strategies new skills new WEAPONS newBOSSS. Newer STRATEGY!!! new haracters!!! New custizamation new mobs!! New fighting style its GUNS new ARMOR more complexeity cause of the doors i could go on bout im to lazy to even write laz

thugimmortal
06-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Well, did you ever play ao3? doesn't it require strategy for each boss? what about bs?

What I wanted to say is STS spent a lot of time and work on SL development and it now looks like PL, at least for me

I like PL but was hoping SL would be a new game experience too

Does it make sense if they both are too similar!!

Maybe I expect too much.

didnt you read the latest press articles about Starlegends
there is going to be puzzles that all members of a party have to participate in and certain charicters have certain key abilities.
i suggest that you have a good read of the latest e3 press and it will become clear how different the games are.

j46g629h
06-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Ok i understand some of your point but these have new strategies new skills new WEAPONS newBOSSS. Newer STRATEGY!!! new haracters!!! New custizamation new mobs!! New fighting style its GUNS new ARMOR more complexeity cause of the doors i could go on bout im to lazy to even write laz

And PL will also have new bosses, gears, map, features, new strategies.... I can tell you more if you want

didnt you read the latest press articles about Starlegends
there is going to be puzzles that all members of a party have to participate in and certain charicters have certain key abilities.
i suggest that you have a good read of the latest e3 press and it will become clear how different the games are.

Yep, I did, you want me to read it for you?

There are also some people having same question, why don't you tell them!

anyway we will see what it's going to be soon

NeoQueen
06-12-2011, 10:42 AM
I think you're just looking at the overall similarities between the two and if you do that then u minus well compare all MMO games. What makes them different is their overall THEME. U could argue that gameplay is standard across the board, you have the levels with bosses, and your objective is to get to the main boss, u can collect rare gear, be a certain class to access specific skills, etc.

To really see the differences you have to look beneath the obvious. Yes, the devs will continue to update PL with new campaigns, bosses, gear, etc, but that doesn't mean that it will be updated with THE SAME EXACT THING as B*. B* will have their own things that make them unique while PL will continue to have theirs.

j46g629h
06-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I think you're just looking at the overall similarities between the two and if you do that then u minus well compare all MMO games. What makes them different is their overall THEME. U could argue that gameplay is standard across the board, you have the levels with bosses, and your objective is to get to the main boss, u can collect rare gear, be a certain class to access specific skills, etc.

To really see the differences you have to look beneath the obvious. Yes, the devs will continue to update PL with new campaigns, bosses, gear, etc, but that doesn't mean that it will be updated with THE SAME EXACT THING as B*. B* will have their own things that make them unique while PL will continue to have theirs.

Maybe you are right,

hopefully it won't be just some new features comparing with PL

Again, as I said, we will see what it will be

PS: it's now named as Star Legend not Blackstar

Silentarrow
06-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Another thing Star Legends will have that Pocket Legends doesn't is veichles. STS said that after the game comes out they will have a update adding veichles.

Lesrider
06-12-2011, 11:39 AM
What are veichles?

ratava
06-12-2011, 01:58 PM
I just watched this game play video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuyCOdwtvdk

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5061/screenshot20110612at926.png

My question is, as it is similar to PL, why do I have to play this game if I'm currently playing PL. Or why do I have to continue playing PL if I decide to play this game? This might effect both games.

Anyway, that's just my question because we don't see much information about this game at the moment and I thought this would be a completely new game experience:(.

I'm disappointed the art style has changed from this:

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2011/06/blackstar1-1307714711.jpg

to the above tbh... really liked the above^. :(

I guess it will be cool if the customization is loads tho??

RE: OP

Both games use the Spacetime Engine so going to be similarities and it's sorta advantageous to the devs because they can add new things in SL that PL does not have then put those back into PL and so on with future titles. That's the reason why the devs are doing this.

However as a player is that ok?

It's good because you are familiar with the general way these games play so easy to get into. But could be bad if not enough differences ie just a reskin is going to fool no-body.

So, I think great question from OP. :cool:

We have been told that the big differences will be:

1. MUCH more story (already planned 1.5yrs worth of content) ie BIGGER preproduction of the IP: lore, world, races etc...
2. MORE customization of characters
3. ADDED environmental gameplay: traps, puzzles, class-specific interactions eg doors, turrets, console-hacking etc
4. BETTER PvP because it is designed straight-away.
5. Potentially ground combat & space combat although no guarantees
6. DIFFERENT skills: Combat is still touch-tap but it is different mechanics eg GCD on skill-sets.

eg cinco on combat and droidgamers:

While the user interface is different from that of Pocket Legends, it is really easy to pick up and get the hang of.

So I think B* will deliver in several ways, but also will be very similar nonetheless.

But as above gutted the art direction has changed. Although the footage is pre-beta build so..........

Lesrider
06-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Well, at least it'll be free, so you can try it out and if it doesn't hold your attention, don't spend any plat on the game.

j46g629h
06-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Another thing Star Legends will have that Pocket Legends doesn't is veichles. STS said that after the game comes out they will have a update adding veichles.

Do you mean "mount"?

ratava
06-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Do you mean "mount"?

It's far too early to even talk about this... but I'll do my limited-info best. :)

You have ground combat atm only. In the future, it's possible due to the nature of the game engine to add spaceships that your ground avatar turns into. Won't go into specifics all that needs saying is: Devs have hinted if all goes well in b* it is possible to add this later. So it's not mounts but a second type of gameplay :) as feature rich as ground combat.

ChrisFI
06-18-2011, 08:01 PM
thats where alot of people are being mistaken. Star Legends and a total different game then pocket legends. Only the gameplay and layout is the same. For example i play ps3 and lets say infamous...infamous 2 is comepletely different then the firsy but the controlls are pretty much the same

and you could play which ever you want
fyi the amount of plat you have in pl will be in sl and visa vorsa

Hawkbby
06-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Ok heres my two questions, since Star Legends is coming out im afriad ill lose all my good friends just in case i dont like Star Legends and i dont play and they like quit PL i would hate have to start all over with no friends :(

IGN: Hawkbby, Hawkbb, Magehawk

JemNI
07-01-2011, 02:58 PM
That's a valid concern, but I think with the success of one will always draw more attention to the other. I will probably always play both, but maybe on alternate days or something.

Back to the OP, yes, there are similarities. It's the same engine running both and I imagine when Vampires/Cowboys/World War 2 or whatever other theme comes out, we will recognize most of it. But like others have said, this is a starting point and how Star legends takes off from here will probably more greatly differentiate it, i.e. space battle with vehicles. Who knows, maybe mechs will come along down the road.