PDA

View Full Version : Professions (a.k.a. Crafting upgrade)

nazgulking
06-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Hello folks,

I was thinking how to upgrade our current crafting mechanism to make it more appealing, so I came up with professions. Anyone familiar with MMORPG will be also familiar with this term, so this is how I was thinking to adapt it to the world of PL. Each char can make up from 1 to 2 professions each and must own a city specific to the profession you are applying to, thus leaving room to premium profession which can be unlocked by purchansing additional campaings (like Sandstone caves).
Each town will have a profession specific NPC which will give dailes based on the profession the player has applied to and will allow the player to access to specific recipes. Here are the profession I have thought of:

- Weaponsmith: Make swords, haxes, maces, plus can upgrade Warrior weapons (according to the weapons he can craft, hence swords, haxes and maces)
- Tailor: Make special vanity parts (shield and hats for now), plus can upgrade archer leathers.
- Armourer: Make any armour (mages robes must be enchanted), plus can upgrade Warrior armour.
- Jeweller: Make rings.
- Apothecary: Make potions (Both Health and mana ones, but also can craft the golden elixir).
- Woodworker: Make bows, clubs, hammers, spears, wands & staves (not yet usuable by mages), plus can upgrade non-magical woodworker weapons.
- Metalsmith: Make any shield (mages shield must be enchanted), plus can upgrade any non-magical shields.
- Enchanter: Makes woodwoorker staves and wands, Metalsmith magical shields and armourer magical robes usable by mage, plus can upgrade mages gear (like enchanted gear in the sewers).

- Prospector: This a Premium profession it will make raw material drop more frequently for your dailies speeding up the process.
- Dyer: This is a premium profession, it allows to dye an item of any colour.
- Bounty Hunter: This is a premium pvp-oriented profession allows your char to gain gold, items and experience by defeating enemies in Pvp maps. Drops will not be taken by defeated players, but will follow loot tables of the campaign the map is associated to.

This way even lower dungeons will be visited by higher chars. And we can make it so that professions have levels and can unlock crafting recipes and dailies based on your profession level.

Suggestion delivered.

Register
06-13-2011, 02:31 PM
I like the idea!
I would want to be a apothecary! Then i would never need pots! Then my birdie will save money and i will be more rich and then i would use my bear as a armourer and make tons of armor and sell them and be more rich and use my other bear as a tailorer and make even more moneyz and use my other birdie as a prospector!!! hooray!!!

XghostzX
06-13-2011, 02:33 PM
brilliant idea, i like it.

Dexmann
06-13-2011, 08:32 PM
sounds beast to me :) love it

nazgulking
06-14-2011, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback. Feel free to contribute to my idea.

NoNxToxic
06-14-2011, 06:24 AM
This idea sounds great! This idea would make crafting a lot less boring :) and puts in more things you craft instead of just crafting armor,helms, and weapons.

nazgulking
06-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Since I've come back from work, I can complete my suggestion.

One thing that I noticed re-reading my suggestion is that not all profession may be taken by all classes (Imagine a mage metalsmith...). The problem here would be: are professions class-bound or stats-bound?
In the first case if you rspec, your profession will remain there, if the second one is the case, everytime you respec you have to change the profession(which I found annoying). So I would suggest the first approach.
The premium professions on the other and may be attained by any class.
Furthermore how do I level up my profession level? By crafting of course. The more you craft the more profession XP you gain. The most basic recipes will give you little XP, while the most complicated recipes will give you bigger XP chunks. These XP you gain by crafting will only affect your profession level and not your char level.

Lowlyspy
06-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Oooh jeweler, apothecary, and prospector sounds like fun. Love the idea ^_^

nazgulking
06-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I want to add some spice to my suggestion:

First, the crafting, as it is now, is passive. You pass your items to the local blacksmith and he does the dirty work for you. What if YOU do it instead? I propose to enlarge the profession's area (Now just blacksmith's tent) to allow multiple people to do their work, like 5-7 working slot to craft your items.

Second, you need some tools to build your items. When you go to the profession NPC you want to apply to, it will give you a series of quests, at the end of which, you will gain the tools that, once equipped, will permit you to craft with the recipes you have. When you finish all the quests and have your profession tools, you will craft a vanity helm or shield or costume that will allow you to unlock new dailies, and will make you earn profession XP, when you craft an item succesfully.

Third, reasearch your recipes. Wanna have a wand that instead of having fire effect to shoot ice? Would like your hammer to have a nightmare proc? This is where research comes into play. Depending on the proc, stats you want to add to your weapon, and depending on the profession XP you have, you will be able to research new recipes through quests. The "burke" NPC will be more a teacher for creating new recipes, rather than a slave that will craft whatever you want.

Fourth, time to create your item. As it is now you can craft istantly, you only wait for the daily to come back in order to get a new part necessary to your recipe. Why, instead, to craft even an intermediate piece, you need to wait some time for the piece to be ready.

P.S Added two additional premium professions ideas