PDA

View Full Version : Kills not increasing and Deaths are..?

FloppyLlama
06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
My Kills have been at 1122 for the last several dungeons I've run and my Deaths have increased from 140 to 142..
I have a small problem with that..

Azrael
06-02-2010, 07:56 PM
You only get kills when you get the killing blow on a mob you gain xp off of. Perhaps you no longer gain xp at level 13 off of the mobs you are facing, since it appears you have not purchased any of the map packs.

Royce
06-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I think this is not an ideal situation. I understand why they changed it so you can't get kills from lower level enemies, but it doesn't sit well that you can still get deaths. I'm not suggesting they don't allow deaths to count, just that the current setup doesn't seem quite right.

FloppyLlama
06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
That's stupiddd.. :(

Tatanka
06-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Who's stupid?

flaimdude
06-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Who's stupid?

Who said anything about anybody being stupid? Fllama said that the fact that kills don't go up but deaths do is stupid, not that a person is stupid.

FluffNStuff
06-03-2010, 11:05 AM
This kinda makes sense. I go running in Forrest haven for gold and rack up kills ten at a time, so I shouldn't get credit for those. But if my L35 is dumb enough to not be paying attention (which it is, at times) and gets killed by a level 10 mob, then yeah, I should get penalized for that.

Demarrer
06-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Kills should count regardless of your level, or the mobs. Who cares if you have 100,000 kills? Does it really add to anything? If someone want's to boost their ego let them do it, because it isn't like there is a reward system for it. If rewards were given out for hitting a milestone of kills or something that is different, but when they mean nothing, why cap them?

PvP
06-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Kills should count regardless of your level, or the mobs. Who cares if you have 100,000 kills? Does it really add to anything? If someone want's to boost their ego let them do it, because it isn't like there is a reward system for it. If rewards were given out for hitting a milestone of kills or something that is different, but when they mean nothing, why cap them?

Yes there is some truth to this. However, lets put it this way. Player A gets 20,000 kills in the swamp. Player B gets 40,000 kills in Forest Haven in the same amount of time. Everyone assumes Player B is better. Its like I said I had $100,000,000 dollars, and I showed you, and you believed me. But really it was only fake money. Its just not quite right.

Demarrer
06-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Yes there is some truth to this. However, lets put it this way. Player A gets 20,000 kills in the swamp. Player B gets 40,000 kills in Forest Haven in the same amount of time. Everyone assumes Player B is better. Its like I said I had $100,000,000 dollars, and I showed you, and you believed me. But really it was only fake money. Its just not quite right.

Kills doesn't mean anything though. I could be a completely dedicated healer who never once uses an offense move, thus I don't receive kills. However, I am just as important as the rest of the team because I prevent mishaps from occurring. A PvE kill/death ratio means absolutely nothing. Yes I could be 4000-0, but that is because I sit in the back the entire time. I am more or less useless to my team.

What I am saying is that there is no reason kills should be capped. They have one purpose only, and that is to show the user what they have done in PvE. Like I said, a reward system changes that logic, but until then K/D means nothing so why cap it?

Royce
06-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Yes there is some truth to this. However, lets put it this way. Player A gets 20,000 kills in the swamp. Player B gets 40,000 kills in Forest Haven in the same amount of time. Everyone assumes Player B is better.

The Swamp vs Forest Haven is an extreme example. What about the player who maxed their level on the day the swamps came out, and has been racking up deaths playing in the higher level dungeons, but unable to get kills from most? The current system is definitely broken. Also anyone who assumes a player is better because of K/D is just plain stupid. Those stats have always been very nearly meaningless, now with elixers in the mix K/D means less than ever. Everyone wants so badly for the stats to mean something because they are basically the only ones we have, but unfortunately they don't.

Tullen666
06-03-2010, 12:17 PM
The Swamp vs Forest Haven is an extreme example. What about the player who maxed their level on the day the swamps came out, and has been racking up deaths playing in the higher level dungeons, but unable to get kills from most? The current system is definitely broken. Also anyone who assumes a player is better because of K/D is just plain stupid. Those stats have always been very nearly meaningless, now with elixers in the mix K/D means less than ever. Everyone wants so badly for the stats to mean something because they are basically the only ones we have, but unfortunately they don't.

They will mean something when leaderboards come out.

Royce
06-03-2010, 12:20 PM
They will mean something when leaderboards come out.

No they won't. The situation will be the same. How do leaderboards give a meaningless stat meaning? They don't. Sure, people may care even more about it, but it still doesn't mean K/D actually says anything. I still have yet to hear any good logical arguments for putting any value at all into K/D.

Tullen666
06-03-2010, 12:22 PM
No they won't. The situation will be the same. How do leaderboards give a meaningless stat meaning? They don't. Sure, people may care even more about it, but it still doesn't mean K/D actually says anything. I still have yet to hear any good logical arguments for putting any value at all into K/D.

If i didnt know better it sounds like your actually gonna cry about a 'meaningless' feature of the game... get over it, im sure Spacetime will come up with some 'meaning' for it eventually...

Royce
06-03-2010, 12:25 PM
If i didnt know better it sounds like your actually gonna cry about a 'meaningless' feature of the game... get over it, im sure Spacetime will come up with some 'meaning' for it eventually...

I'm not crying over anything. I love this game. I just want to spread the knowledge of how little K/D means. I am also trying to show why the current system of counting kills and deaths (remember the thread topic? :) ) is less than ideal.

FloppyLlama
06-03-2010, 12:32 PM
I think that since I'm capped right now, neither of them should increase at all..
And if not that, then they should both just keep going up.
I'm one of the few people that cares about K/D on any game with kills and deaths, on xbox that's how we tell if someone's actually alright at the game :P
On here though, you're K/D spread has nothing to do with a players skill because they can just play with their friends all the time and get lucky and rack up all the killing blows.

Demarrer
06-03-2010, 12:44 PM

I agree completely. What do leader boards achieve at all? It is just an easier way to see who plays or farms more. Leaderboards achieve absolutely nothing. I agree completely without these being the only stats that matter, because they are the only ones in the game. That is completely true. K/D in PvM is pointless, and K/D (which should be implemented) also just boosts personal play and takes away from a team view in PvP.

Ogediah
06-06-2010, 11:26 PM
The Swamp vs Forest Haven is an extreme example. What about the player who maxed their level on the day the swamps came out, and has been racking up deaths playing in the higher level dungeons, but unable to get kills from most?

If you are capped at 35 you still receive xp. if you attempt to go beyond level 38, then go back and play swamp, you will no longer get kills.

I think the stats do mean something. While its hard to specifically break down the difference between one or two deaths, you can definitely tell someone is going to be a high risk if they have a high ratio of deaths.

Kirei
06-06-2010, 11:58 PM
ya but what do you consider a high ratio of deaths? i have like 4600 kills and 450 deaths. does that mean im bad?

Ogediah
06-07-2010, 12:32 AM
ya but what do you consider a high ratio of deaths? i have like 4600 kills and 450 deaths. does that mean im bad?

You have about a 10:1 kd ratio. Truthfully I consider that a little below average. For example Archerior has serveral characters with a kd around 50:1 (plus or minus)

Ogediah is about 16:1, Drphill about 31:1, Rosie around 13:1
(I don't consider these extraordinary)

Obviously the type of character affects this ratio somewhat. Archers are usually much higher because they pull less group agro, and do more single target damage.

Kills also help determine how long/much a player has been playing (and can affect my perception of how "good" the player is). If a character come in with 10,000 kills and 1,000 deaths, The player might know the maps and items well, but I would not consider them and extraordinary player. However if someone comes in with 10,000 kills and a hundred some deaths, I will definitely be impressed.

If someone walks in with a level 32 and is 1000 kills and 400 deaths, im gonna know he probably sucks and most like leeched his way to where he is now.

Hope that helps explain some. :)

Kirei
06-07-2010, 12:55 AM
but doesent it depend on what you are playing? like mine, im a tanktress and from where i see it you die more and get less kills

Ogediah
06-11-2010, 03:59 AM
Rosie is also a tanktress, but yes, as I said it somewhat depends on the character. Reguardless, you can usually tell a jackass, from a normal player, from a bad *** player.