PDA

View Full Version : Reportable? -- Really can't tell

Otukura
06-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I really am not sure if I can report for this, people message low levels asking to buy an Orcish bow/other doom weapon for like 10-100k, saying it's a good deal, and they're helping 'noobs'.

eg. http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i463/Ariktyer/screenshot_6-1-1-1.jpg

Currently I'm just blacklisting them from all my games, but is it a bannable/suspendable offense?

vulgarstrike
06-15-2011, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't.
they have enough reports to take care of already.

Otukura
06-15-2011, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't.
they have enough reports to take care of already.

Thing is, it is scamming.

Like the _______ and ________ incident, two people told a low level guy that a level 15 expert was worth 100k, and they bought & sold for a profit. One got GoA status stripped, and the other is now banned, not sure if it was from that or not. Trying not to mention names.

Zeus
06-15-2011, 02:34 PM

Like the _______ and ________ incident, two people told a low level guy that a level 15 expert was worth 100k, and they bought & sold for a profit. One got GoA status stripped, and the other is now banned, not sure if it was from that or not. Trying not to mention names.

He wasn't banned for that reason. Also, It's not scamming. It's merchanting. I wouldn't call it scamming, it's immoral, sure. Not scamming though. It's the other player's responsibility to know the prices, easy enough now anyway with the CS. So, yeah.

StompArtist
06-15-2011, 02:49 PM
I offer 20$ for a brand new Ferrari is hardly a scam. Cheap offer... yes... but not a scam.

Redbridge
06-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Not great seeing that, eh?....

A public announcement with the 'real' price range or some factual CS examples should nip that in the bud..... The only way they will 'scam' if the seller doesn't have the required knowledge. So, easily solved... Unless I've misunderstood.

I prob wouldn't report it..

Otukura
06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
I offer 20$ for a brand new Ferrari is hardly a scam. Cheap offer... yes... but not a scam.

Low balling isn't a scam, but telling them the wrong price to gain for yourself might be.

If you inherited a house in Hawai'i and had no clue of the value, and some guy comes along and tells you it's worth 300k. It's actually worth 2 million, at the minimum, but you don't know that. You sell it to him for 300k, and the next day realize it's worth 2 million.

That actually might be considered a scam... I know you can sue for it..

Pharcyde
06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
eap

People call it scamming, technically, it is not scamming. The seller should always do their research before selling any item. So that is their fault if they sell something dirt cheap. Scamming is tricking someone into something they do not agree to. If the person sells for 10,000 gold, that means they have agreed to sell it for 10,000.

Edit: Unless your in the United States were the smallest little thing is illegal. So yes, in real life in the U.S., it is against the law. But in a videogame, there are no laws against something like this.

Arterra
06-15-2011, 03:14 PM
If you inherited a house in Hawai'i and had no clue of the value, and some guy comes along and tells you it's worth 300k. It's actually worth 2 million, at the minimum, but you don't know that. You sell it to him for 300k, and the next day realize it's worth 2 million.

That actually might be considered a scam... I know you can sue for it..

are you sure? it is the seller's responsibility to find a good price and determine the value. all it takes is looking around.
in PL all it takes is going to the CS.

Otukura
06-15-2011, 03:17 PM
are you sure? it is the seller's responsibility to find a good price and determine the value. all it takes is looking around.
in PL all it takes is going to the CS.

Yes, sure, checked that after I posted.

Pharcyde
06-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Yes, sure, checked that after I posted.

Otu, the trick is if he gives you faulty information. You can sell your house for any price you want. So if a person tells you they will buy your house for 300 grand, and its worth 2 million and you agree, that is your fault. Now if you think the house is 2 million and a guy tells you that is not true and that is for the houses down the road and the value is dropping. Then that is against the law. That is providing falsified information to convince a person to buy/sell at above or below market prices.

Hopefully that helps, it really depends on the situation.

Otukura
06-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Otu, the trick is if he gives you faulty information. You can sell your house for any price you want. So if a person tells you they will buy your house for 300 grand, and its worth 2 million and you agree, that is your fault. Now if you think the house is 2 million and a guy tells you that is not true and that is for the houses down the road and the value is dropping. Then that is against the law. That is providing falsified information to convince a person to buy/sell at above or below market prices.

Hopefully that helps, it really depends on the situation.

So... for the people who have told me that the bow is jacked up in the CS and 100k is about double what the price should be, then that's a scam?

And almost all of them have given faulty info, that pic. I posted was just what was right in chat log, and not the best example.

Pharcyde
06-15-2011, 03:32 PM
So... for the people who have told me that the bow is jacked up in the CS and 100k is about double what the price should be, then that's a scam?

And almost all of them have given faulty info, that pic. I posted was just what was right in chat log, and not the best example.

Okay well yes that would be considered a scam since they falsified information to convince you to sell a item at a different time. But I would not consider "10k is a good deal for that item" a scam. If they only did that, I would just say they are trying to be savvy with you. But since they told you CS prices were glitched/jacked up, it is a scam.

StompArtist
06-15-2011, 03:36 PM
This whole "scam" thing is getting out of hand. You cannot cry scam if someone says that the CS is overpriced because they may actually be honest in that claim. I personally think that a lot of things are way over priced on the CS and would never pay that much for them. Does claiming it makes one a scammer?

I think that an intent to mislead has to be clear before you can point to someone being a scammer in a game. If someone, for example, tells you that they have a trick for free plat for 5000 Gold. that is a clear scam. A straight up exchange between an item for gold and a screenshot where the buyer says the item should be cheap is not enough. In my personal opinion.

Else it makes player to player transaction utterly boring not being able to haggle over price without being accused of scamming every time. Might as well never bother and remove the ability to trade.

Pandamoni
06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
It's crummy but not sure if it's a scam. I'd announce publicly that he's trying to pull a fast one and tell him to knock it off. That will probably help.

On a side note, do you know it took me like a month and a half to figure out how to use the CS? I'd go there and click on "I want to buy stuff" and then the list would just stay blank. In retrospect I have no clue WHY I couldn't figure out something so simple but it just baffled me until One day I realized I have to actually CLICK search! I've had a few other people tell me the same thing, that there's nothing for sale in the CS and then I walk them through it and explain I had the same problem.

My rambling point is that sometimes some people don't really KNOW how to find prices. That's when I'd hope they'd come here. I came here because I was aware I was obviously missing some fine mechanics of the game and needed to come read before I was able to really maximize what the game has to offer. If they get burned in game over prices maybe they will learn to not be so trusting?

So my vote is: scam? No. Rude and intentionally smarmy? Yes.

PatsoeGamer
06-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Seems like theres a lot of grey area around scamming, and some good points from both sides too. Does anyone have screen captures of what they WOULD consider a scam?

KingFu
06-18-2011, 04:32 AM
More so a con: Noun: An instance of deceiving or tricking someone.

It isn't kind to lie to someone, but merchanting, I think, is fine. If both the players are happy with the trade I don't see the problem. I've been merchanted off, some times I kick myself and ask why I didn't try to sell for more, but most of the time, I think to myself, I'm happy with what I got. I do the same in return, I see something cheap in cs, I buy it and relist for the value. The sellers fault IMO. What he posted it for is what he wanted so it's a fair trade. Lying on the other hand is really half and half. I don't think you can report for it, but I wouldn't say it's exactly nice though.

Hmm, tbh, I'm kinda torn. Scam is defined as a "Swindle", "A dishonest scheme; a fraud" So I'd say if falls under that category. But I don't know if it's a scam the devs would ban for. If Sam or another dev doesn't post on here you can always email support and ask em.

Edit:

Lol, sorry, that was really back and forth.

JaytB
06-23-2011, 03:00 AM
Completely off-topic, but that's me in that screenshot right above the scammer :D

Redbridge
06-23-2011, 03:07 AM
Completely off-topic, but that's me in that screenshot right above the scammer :D

ROFL....;)

Otukura
06-23-2011, 11:41 AM

I almost cropped it out.... was hovering above it for at least 15 seconds.

JaytB
06-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I almost cropped it out.... was hovering above it for at least 15 seconds.Because you expected me to make a goofy comment about it? :p

Otukura
06-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Because you expected me to make a goofy comment about it? :p

Yes.

Fyrce
06-23-2011, 03:08 PM
If I see someone offering way too low a price, I will just offer to pay more. So if someone's offering 10k for a Doom, I'll offer 100k. Higher price should get the trade.