PDA

View Full Version : SGS2 - Samsung Galaxy S 2 - Freeze

kaliyuga
06-19-2011, 03:35 PM
So... it's clear that I and others have this issue. You're playing the game and suddenly it freezes and closes, or just freezes.

My reason for starting this thread is the hope that we can somehow help each other! And maybe a device-specific title in the android section will draw people who haven't read the other threads. (here's one good thread (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?26886-App-crashing-constantly!/))
The suggestions I've read so far, have not worked for me. (reinstalling, disable sounds, untick high quality, battery saving settings in-game)
In desperation, I even tried making another music app my default player (silly attempt - i know, but I thought since the confirmed crashes were sound-related... :rolleyes:)

Are there any SGS2 users out there who can (and always have been able to) play the game without problems?
Any who had the problem, and somehow now are able to play?
If so: please post here. And maybe you can help your fellow SGS2-PL players out :)

And of course if you're having this problem, post here! Maybe if we post many descriptions of how and when it happens, we'll see a pattern emerge?

Here's hoping this issue soon will only be a distant memory,
KaliYuga

kaliyuga
06-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Maybe 5 or more of us can add each other, and do some serious in-game freeze testing? See if it freezes at the same time and so on.
The name of character is Kaliyuga (51 lvl enchantress)
I also have, but haven't started leveling:
Kaawliyuga (lvl 2 archer)
Kaliyuggah (lvl 2 warrior)

makkaveli
06-20-2011, 07:35 AM
mines the same. Its really quite annoying. I can play for like 10 mins at a time then it crashes and works for a bit. Nothing commom happens when it crashes seems to be random. Really annoying now tho as i can never finish any damn quests because it keeps crashing in dungeons

Galaxy SII also

Kakatoa91
06-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Apparently, the new dual core handphones (htc, lg, ss) have problems with some games not just Pl.
I hope for u guys they'll find how to tweak this.

kaliyuga
06-20-2011, 01:56 PM
@makkaveli: I hear ya! I'm trying to collect ok'tals on map crush the keeper, but usually it freezes before the keeper's dead. But sometimes I can finish. Right now it froze up on me again. I was running with a bird & two bears, we reached the shadows, but it froze before the first one was killed.
Screenshot from built-in task manager (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31876806/SC20110620-201519.jpeg)
PL is using alot of CPU. The percentage is not constant, but fluctuates, usually between 35-45%. (I've also seen 90-95%)
But those values are from after it froze. When starting again it uses the same ammount the other games.

@Kakatoa91: Yup, read that the atrix is having similar issues as well (at least with PL). But apparently it runs fine on the Xoom. But maybe that's because it runs Honeycomb? Do you know the name of some of these games? Thought I might search those forums as well, in my search for clues :)
Thanks!

WhoIsThis suggested (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?26886-App-crashing-constantly!&p=325367&viewfull=1#post325367) that maybe some of Samsungs modifications to the android code is unstable. If that's the case, I hope they fix it.
I tried sending a mail to samsung support, describing the issue. But I don't really expect much help from there...

kaliyuga
06-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Nevermind the game names. I googled "android dual core game freezes". Found some posts.

Maybe this SoundPool-thingie is the common factor (I read in the post linked above that the only logs sent in that actually contained a crash were related to audio somehow "libsoundpool.so (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?26886-App-crashing-constantly!&p=310365&viewfull=1#post310365)")
But why, o why doesn't it work even if I have audio disabled?
I've noticed that if I try to lower or raise the volume on the phone I'ts the "media volume" that changes, even when audio is disabled. (screenshot with audio disabled (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31876806/SC20110612-205818.jpeg))
Where in some other games, when sounds are disabled, it's the "ringtone volume" that changes.
(gives me the feeling that maybe the sound's not completely turned off? but maybe it means nothing)
And as is described here (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?28748-sound-effects-occur-despite-being-turned-off), I noticed on some map in sand caves that the sound sometimes bleeds through. Maybe if that issue is fixed, we can play with sounds disabled?
From my google search i understood that some game-devs is in contact with motorola, to try and remedy the SoundPool-issue on atrix, maybe if they manage to solve that, it'll at least give hints to solving the SGS2 problem too.
I'll look around some more.

thugimmortal
06-20-2011, 02:42 PM
mines the same. Its really quite annoying. I can play for like 10 mins at a time then it crashes and works for a bit. Nothing commom happens when it crashes seems to be random. Really annoying now tho as i can never finish any damn quests because it keeps crashing in dungeons

Galaxy SII also

my lg gt540 also just drops to home screen randomly.
does it seem worse in the new forest heaven stages?
Im waiting for a patch to fix this too ive not played for a while now because everytime i get into it drops to the home screen.
i dont think its just dual core that has the problem.

@makkaveli nice name dude

kaliyuga
06-20-2011, 03:18 PM
@thugimmortal: can't say I've noticed it being worse in forest haven than other zones. (and can't remember trying the old fh on this phone)
one time I was able to finish two complete runs through all maps. another time it froze at the first map.
how long has this been happening to you?

kaliyuga
06-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Ran with another SGS2 owner today. We were in the same room, same wifi, and the only ones on the map when freezing occurred.
They did not freeze at the same time.
1st time his froze first. 2nd time mine did.
So... Yeah.

MrNBD
06-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Same here... I tried a lot of different configurations and nothing. I've disabled ALL sounds in phone settings and in the game too, down-clocked CPU to 800MHz, removed Samsungs Task Manager (as someone said it kills Pocket Legends with no reason), updated phones firmware to latest version. Nothing. Game freezes pretty quick, especially in Forest Heaven and AO3: Crush the Keeper and AO3: Intergalactic Wars maps. On other maps i can play a bit longer. Sad, as i purchased this phone mainly because of Pocket Legends.

EDIT: I just found that "Tank Hero" freezes also... So is that Android issue or some games needs to be optimized for dual-core CPU's?

EDIT2: Just found this - http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=17623
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/a40bf951f420b47e/23325cc6783a13e8?lnk=raot&pli=1

kaliyuga
06-26-2011, 12:00 PM
@MrNBD
Thanks for your thorough testing!
I know what you mean! Like you I bought it with PL in mind. Would really suck if the only solution is buying a new phone.
Hope it's solvable through software, either from STS, Samsung or maybe even a cyanogenmod.

MayhemMonkey
06-26-2011, 06:21 PM
I would like to point out that these issues you are experiencing have nothing to do with your phones having dual core processors. I play PL on Motorola Xoom and T-Mobile G2x (both dual core), and I don't have any issues. I do believe that some of the Samsung's mods to the Android code (as WhoIsThis suggested) make it incompatible/unstable with PL. I tried playing PL on my Samsung Galaxy S 4G (not dual core, but Samsung phone loaded with all the Samsung "goodies") and let me tell you, I hated it. The gameplay was choppy, especially when dishing out combos. I hope that this issue gets resolved for all of you who own SGS2.

MrNBD
06-27-2011, 05:16 AM
MayhemMonkey, thanks for your reply. So it seems like we have 2,5 things to wait for:
1. CyanogenMod
2. Voodoo Kernel
2.5 A fix from Samsung lol.

xBearSpiritx
06-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Heh... i was looking to purchase this phone as an upgrade to play PL on.

After reading the above comments, I think it would only be wise to hold out until a fix is available.

Others over at XDA developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=14712915) are having the exact same issues, no resolution found yet tho :(

Hitsch Norris
06-27-2011, 06:28 AM
I have the same problem but my friend has an SGS2 too and his phone doesn't freeze at anytime. We try now to figure out what the difference is between our phone (versions etc.)
I hope i find a way to get it running on my phone too and to post the solution for you guys out there...

kaliyuga
06-27-2011, 08:26 AM
I hope i find a way to get it running on my phone too and to post the solution for you guys out there...
I would bow down and worship u if u do!

@xBearSpiritx: Yup, either wait or buy the same as Hitsch's friend :)
Great phone aside from this issue!

Hitsch Norris
06-27-2011, 08:35 AM
I'll try this evening

What kind of kernel versions are running at you'r phones?
Mine is KE2 and it crashes
Does anyone have KE7, KE8 or KF2 kernel? What about crashes with one of those?
My friend's kernel is KF2 and he has no crashes, but not sure if this is the solution, that's why i ask...

kaliyuga
06-27-2011, 08:47 AM
KF3 here.

Hitsch Norris
06-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Hmmmm ok so this can't be the solution... Would be tooooooo easy ;)

kaliyuga
06-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Lol
Maybe they broke it again in KF3? :D

MrNBD
06-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Guys, take a look to my post on XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=15124257&postcount=15). Could anyone test and report if it works for you? Thanks.

kaliyuga
06-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Guys, take a look to my post on XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=15124257&postcount=15). Could anyone test and report if it works for you? Thanks.
Think I will give it a try soon! But it'll take some time - not an expert on rooting and such.
Got a step-by-step guide to recommend? :)

MrNBD
06-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Just follow instructions on this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1095274) and after you will have Lite'ning ROM installed + Root ;)

PS. Mods, I'm sorry for posting here external links, i hope this isn't against the rules (didn't read them yet).

MrNBD
06-27-2011, 04:04 PM
So quite in here... Everyone's playing Pocket Legends? :D I do, in total ~9 hours of gaming without single crash (yet).

Hitsch Norris
06-28-2011, 01:20 AM
I tested some things yesterday evening. I don't have Litening 1.5 but when i have the music program in the background running i can play all the time without problems.
So i start the normal music app and go back with the home button so it is still running at the task manager then go into the game and there i set off Music and Sounds (don't know if it matters) after this it seems to work fine, no crashes anytime.

If it don't work, let me know that we can see what is the difference between our phones...

PS: Sorry for my bad english

Greets

MrNBD
06-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Try to play with sounds and music on - no crashes for me yet. What ROM you're using?

kaliyuga
06-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Haven't had time to play. Hopefully things will slow down soon, I'll give feedback then.
Really hope one of the tips work, with the expansions coming and all!

xBearSpiritx
06-28-2011, 11:34 AM
So quite in here... Everyone's playing Pocket Legends? :D I do, in total ~9 hours of gaming without single crash (yet).

Is this after you rooted and flashed the Lite'ning / other custom ROM?

MrNBD
06-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Ok, it's not only about the Music player... Just Flashed Touch X-Treme ROM (based on KF2 firmware is well), did no customizations at all, the only app i installed was Pocket Legends. Game crashes every 2-5 mins, no matter what i do. Going to try some KF4 based ROM now, will report how it goes.

MrNBD
06-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Is this after you rooted and flashed the Lite'ning / other custom ROM?
Yes. My experience so far:

-Stock ROM with KE7 firmware (phone wasn't rooted yet) - game freezes.
-Rooted my phone, installed VillainROM (KF2 base) - game freezes.
-Lite'ning ROM, based on KF2 firmware - i was able to play for over 10 hours without a single problem.
-Touch X-Treme ROM, based on KF2 firmware - game freezes.
-Stock KF4 based ROM (not even rooted) - game freezes.
-Nitroz Extreme, KF3 based ROM - game freezes.
-Went back to Lite'ning ROM 1,5 (based on KF2) - played for about an hour, no freezes!
-Stock XXKG1 firmware (Android 2.3.4), not rooted - game freezes. SAD.
-Lite'ning 2,0, KG1 based ROM - game freezes.

All testing was done straight after flashing ROM, without installing additional apps or doing some customizations.

xBearSpiritx
06-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Right, that's some progress at least.

I'm actually considering to buy this phone to play PL on but only if a permanent fix is found in regards to the freezing issue.

Have you contacted the Developer of the ROM to find out what he has changed to overcome this issue? Is it a kernel change maybe? Have you checked the ROM Changelog notes and spotted any differences?

Thanks so far for your thorough testing.

Regards,

xBearSpiritx.

MrNBD
06-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi. I asked about that on thread, but haven't got response yet. Will try to send PM to devs. On description there's something about tweaked kernel:

-Fast and stable SGS II Gingerbread 2.3.3 ROM

*Based on official XWKE7 Firmware
*Blue themed
*Battery percentage
*CRT Screen-Off Animation
*Overscroll glow
*Better optimised apk's, framework for more speed and free mem.
*GTalk with Video
*better camera
*fixed laggy browser
*Added cf-root kernel
*Memory tweak
*Kernel tweaks
*SD card read tweak
*Smaller LR logo in notification menu
*New lockscreen wallpaper
*Zipaligned.
*Deodexed.
*GTalk with Video
*Root + Busybox

Changelog

21/06/2011
Now with official XXKF2 Firmware
Modem XXKF2
Added CF-Root 4.0 kernel for XXKF2
VoIP-SIP support
Support PhoneCall Recording support
Now also added the read tweak for ext SD-card
Increase the Wi-Fi Scan Interval to save battery
Lower the call Ring Delay
Removed WiFi Sharing to save battery

WhoIsThis
06-28-2011, 04:16 PM
It looks like Lite'ning seems to be the most stable. Use it for now.

Lets just hope that when Cyanogen comes to this phone, everything is smooth.

MrNBD
06-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Well, for me it's far away fro "stable", some apps (Anttek File Explorer) just force closes. Logcat shows loads of errors. Tried to reflash ROM, fix permissions - nothing. I'm really eager to get my hands on CyanogenMod :rolleyes:
So you're using Lite'ning? How's PL? Any freezes?

Hitsch Norris
06-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Try to play with sounds and music on - no crashes for me yet. What ROM you're using?

I'm using an original KF2 ROM. Tried to play with sounds and music on - no crashes too...

MrNBD
06-29-2011, 05:17 AM
Wow, that's interesting. Could you post your phones baseband and kernel versions please? Lite'ning has: Baseband - XXKF2, Kernel - 2.6.35.7-I9100XXKF2-CL253204. Thanks.

kaliyuga
06-29-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm using an original KF2 ROM. Tried to play with sounds and music on - no crashes too...
Just the music app in the bg did not work, for me on KF3 at least.
Froze with & without audio.
Hoping to test Lite'ning this weekend!

Lysdexic
06-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Here's an off the wall idea for you to check out...

I had major freezing issues with PL for a few days and the culprit turned out to be Swype. I have the newest beta version of it and didn't even realize that I was only crashing after I used the keyboard once. It looks like it may have something to do with the auto-suggest of words (along the top of the keyboard) because they don't work at all in PL, but do in every other application that I have. My problem disappeared after uninstalling/reinstalling Swype, but the auto-suggest still doesn't work and I'm expecting the same lockups again at some point.

Try turning off Swype and see what happens.

MrNBD
06-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Hmm, i did all tests straight after flashing ROMs, without customizing them at all and as you know, by default is being used Samsung keyboard, not Swype. Also, on other ROMs Tank Hero crashes too and this game has no option to use keyboard at all.
I'll give a a try anyway and report back. Thanks for idea.

EDIT: I just flashed stock XXKF2 kernel on Lite'ning 1,5 ROM and game still not crashing, so i guess problem is somewhere else. BTW, after flashing this kernel i don't have anymore previously mentioned problems with some apps force closing. I'm starting to love my phone :banana:

kaliyuga
06-29-2011, 11:58 AM
EDIT: I just flashed stock XXKF2 kernel on Lite'ning 1,5 ROM and game still not crashing, so i guess problem is somewhere else. BTW, after flashing this kernel i don't have anymore previously mentioned problems with some apps force closing. I'm starting to love my phone :banana:
Sounds awesome! But you still have to have music app open in background, correct? (as I said, will probably do it this weekend)

MrNBD
06-29-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm totally lost now... I decided to stick with Lite'ning ROM (+stock kernel) so i customized it to my liking, removed all bloatware, installed ~30 apps that i use and now game seem to work even without having to launch music player before starting PL... Probably i'll leave it as it is now.

kaliyuga
06-29-2011, 02:22 PM
lol
probably best not to touch anything!

MrNBD
06-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Nandroid backup FTW ;)

kaliyuga
06-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Couldn't wait until the weekend! Flashed with Lite'ning. (didn't realise how easy & fast it was to do! - had HTC Legend b4)
Fired up PL straight away, didn't bother with the music app.
So far so good! But I've fooled myself b4, so I'm afraid to cheer too much :)
Ha've only tried in Forest Haves so far, one complete run through all lvls, and then all of Burke's daily quests.

Edit: Froze some apps, then tried Crush the Keeper. And it froze. Will try with music app in bg.

MrNBD
06-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Yup, had one game freeze is well, but leaving music player opened in background still does the job for sure.

kaliyuga
06-30-2011, 04:08 PM
done many keeper runs, about two hours.
not a single freeze with music app open. very nice!

Edit: Sad to say, but the game froze on me today, even with the music app in bg.

kaliyuga
07-02-2011, 01:50 PM
And now once more on a keeper run. Playing while charging, dunno if that matters.
Should teach me not to get my hopes up :D

MrNBD
07-03-2011, 05:05 AM
Yesterday i've completed Cyber quest (to get Cyber Skull). In other words, that was 50 "Krush The Keeper" runs and had no problems at all ;)

kaliyuga
07-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Yeah, today (so far) I've done about 25 ok'tals or more and 12 shards without problems.

Edit: completed shards also, and begun with shadow prisoners. Still running fine. Must've been a temporary glitch...

MrNBD
07-04-2011, 05:33 AM
I had one freeze last night. After game shut down i found that music player was no longer active in the background. Looks like i forgot to kill all other apps before launching game and when free memory went low, Android it self killed some inactive apps which caused typical game freeze. Then i killed all apps, launched music player i had no problems again. Now going to kill 25 shadow prisoners :)

shynrix
07-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I have had problems to with my galaxy s2, But when they where running i think it was PL 1.7.2.3 i had no trouble at all.
-The game ran fine, dungeon after dungeon.
Then they did the sound patch, And iam hating it. Better with sound glitches then all freezes.

MrNBD
07-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Then they did the sound patch, And iam hating it.
First of all PL has nothing to do with this issue, as i had exactly same freezes in other games too. If you wanna blame someone, then blame Samsung who made such a crappy firmware for our phones. Or simply flash Lite'ning ROM and follow above mentioned steps :p

Better with sound glitches then all freezes.
Better with proper sound and no freezes ^^

kaliyuga
07-06-2011, 10:24 AM
First of all PL has nothing to do with this issue, as i had exactly same freezes in other games too. If you wanna blame someone, then blame Samsung who made such a crappy firmware for our phones. Or simply flash Lite'ning ROM and follow above mentioned steps :p
Better with proper sound and no freezes ^^
+1
I never have the music app running in bg anymore. Sure, once in a while it freezes. But when I fire it back upp, I can make many runs without any hang-ups!
Thank you again for the tip. Can once again indulge my addiction! :banana:

shynrix
07-08-2011, 05:16 PM
i just flashed the phone with Lite'ning rom, And i have played for 3hr now without a single freeze.
-:mad: that i didnt do it, when i got the phone. :mad: it would have solved a lot of headache

kaliyuga
07-09-2011, 05:40 AM
i just flashed the phone with Lite'ning rom, And i have played for 3hr now without a single freeze.
-:mad: that i didnt do it, when i got the phone. :mad: it would have solved a lot of headache
Gratz!

xBearSpiritx
07-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Sorry for being naive here but, when you mention that you have your music app running in the background, are you referring to an actual music app or that you have the in-game sound and music enabled via the game options?

Regards,

xBearSpiritx.

MrNBD
07-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Yup, i meant stock Samsungs Music app. Just open it and click "Home" button to leave it opened in background. That seems to work with Lite'ning ROM only.

xBearSpiritx
07-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Yup, i meant stock Samsungs Music app. Just open it and click "Home" button to leave it opened in background. That seems to work with Lite'ning ROM only.

By doing this, does it not drain the battery a lot faster and have you had any freezes while running the Music app in the background while playing PL?

MrNBD
07-15-2011, 02:25 PM
No, the battery is perfectly fine for me, i can play around 4 hours in one go. And yes, i had two freezes already, but that happened because Android killed Music app to save some resources, but two freezes in 30+ hours of gaming is acceptable for me :) Can't wait for CM7 to show up.

kaliyuga
07-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I've had the game freeze up on me with the music app. Could very well be because of the task manager killing it, like MrNBD said - didn't bother investigating.
But as he said: it's not a big problem.

I did not notice a shorter battery life, with the music app running in bg.
But I don't bother starting it anymore. It may or may not freeze a bit more without it, but compared to how horrible it was before Lite'ning, it runs like a charm.
Most of the time I can play for hours without issues.

Can't wait for CM7 to show up.
+1!

Kakatoa91
07-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Anyone in here who had galaxy s1 and moved to galaxy s2?
Need to know if theres much difference in smoother play, duration of play in full charge and heat?
Friend going to buy new phone, sgs1 is in heavy summer sale now here while the sgs2 is still high priced.

eziq313131
07-18-2011, 10:27 AM
I use Lite'ning 2.3 lastest version of it.And I leave music app on the background running and crashes again.Music Hub or Music App ? Do I have to play a song on music app while its on background and do I have to turn the volume of the game to off ?

MrNBD
07-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I use Lite'ning 2.3 lastest version of it.And I leave music app on the background running and crashes again.
Use Lite'ning 1,5.

MrNBD
07-22-2011, 03:59 AM
So, after few hours of gaming i can confirm: game is freezing on CM7 "nightly 0", which makes me think this is an sound driver issue. I think i will sell this very lovely phone :(

kaliyuga
07-22-2011, 04:20 AM
So, after few hours of gaming i can confirm: game is freezing on CM7 "nightly 0", which makes me think this is an sound driver issue. I think i will sell this very lovely phone :(
Had no idea it was out! Thanks 4 the heads up!
But dang... u don't think a future build might do the trick? (just thinking cuz this is an early, nightly release)
I for one will not have a problem sticking to Lite'ning for now. Selling this phone is not an option for me right now - loving it too much :-)

zhiyung
07-31-2011, 02:48 AM
Anyone in here who had galaxy s1 and moved to galaxy s2?
Need to know if theres much difference in smoother play, duration of play in full charge and heat?
Friend going to buy new phone, sgs1 is in heavy summer sale now here while the sgs2 is still high priced.

I just upgraded from S1 to S2 few weeks ago, S2 has much smoother play, quite significant difference. Both are as hot if you play them long enough. But on duration in full charge, no idea because S2 crashes every few minutes or half an hour or so if I'm lucky.

I ended playing with S1 for now. Way to go Samsung! :banana:

Kakatoa91
07-31-2011, 07:11 AM
Thx 4 answering Zhi.
Well it was 2 weeks ago, my friend already bought the SG1. And hes happy with it no bug/prob.
The price difference durin sales made the major difference for him. ;)

Dizzee
08-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Just installed Litening Rom_v5.0... it freezes also...
crashes and returns to desktop.. which is an improvement on freezing.. saves me the bother of stopping it in task manager.

MrNBD
08-02-2011, 11:32 AM
I got HTC Sensation. No more freezes, crashes to home screen or whatever else. Good luck for you guys, i hope CM/TeamHacksung guys will get this sorted out soon.

kaliyuga
08-04-2011, 04:33 AM
I got HTC Sensation. No more freezes, crashes to home screen or whatever else. Good luck for you guys, i hope CM/TeamHacksung guys will get this sorted out soon.
Good for u!

kaliyuga
08-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Just installed Litening Rom_v5.0... it freezes also...
crashes and returns to desktop.. which is an improvement on freezing.. saves me the bother of stopping it in task manager.
No improvement if u have the stock music app running in bg?
Haven't tried 5.0. I use 1.5 - not flawless, but works pretty good!

Ofir Agranat
08-07-2011, 05:53 AM
i have 2.0 lite'ning, crashes as well with the music app in the BG
im thiniking of upgrading to 5.0, but now that i see that Dizzee tried it, im thinking of downgrading to 1.5 O_o

rambopfc
08-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Does anyone else notice that it overheats the phone by quite a bit? right now sitting at idle with Wifi on and radio on its sitting at 77F. After a while of playing Dungeon Hunter 2 (with nothing running in the background) it gets up to 87.8F, not too bad, but after only 15min or so of playing Pocket Legends (again with nothing else running) it gets up to 107.6F. usually once that temp gets around here is where the game crashes.

stock KG2
Bell S2

Samhayne
08-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey guys, we just put up this FAQ on our Support site about the Samsung Galaxy 2 and Soundpool crashing.

http://spacetimestudios.zendesk.com/entries/20339357-audio-problems-with-samsung-galaxy-2-leading-to-app-crash

More info about the Sound problem is detailed at: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=17623

Ofir Agranat
08-09-2011, 02:05 AM
well thats nice and all to know abit more about what the problem is.. but still no fix..
im guessing you could have a new patch that somehow fixes it, knwing where the problem came from

Ofir Agranat
08-09-2011, 04:53 AM
i think i might have found a way to play for a bit more then usual
i just used a lot of tips all together
i started the music player (played a song and paused it), started the game, canceled the ingame music.
another tip i got, since it heats up very fast, its good to nodge to the right the battery save option.. it seems to slow down the heat rate

all together used, the game crashed to the main screen after ~2 hours (never did that before, it use to freeze, and after ~5-20 min') and the battery was'nt hot (well it was but not burning hot as usual.. dont have temp' guage)

SGS2, 2.3.4, lite'ning rom 2.0

if anyone try it out, tell me if its working for you too

(i posted this message in the SL forum, since the problem is the same, it might work in PL as well)

Samhayne
08-09-2011, 05:55 AM
well thats nice and all to know abit more about what the problem is.. but still no fix..
im guessing you could have a new patch that somehow fixes it, knwing where the problem came from

It is not a simple fix. We're very hopeful that the issue will be resolved at the device manufacturers and Android end, by adjusting how they do what they do with sounds.

kaliyuga
08-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Hey guys, we just put up this FAQ on our Support site about the Samsung Galaxy 2 and Soundpool crashing.
Nice to know u haven't forgotten about us!
(Even though ur quite busy with SL + PL-expansion.)

kaliyuga
08-10-2011, 01:05 AM
It is not a simple fix. We're very hopeful that the issue will be resolved at the device manufacturers and Android end, by adjusting how they do what they do with sounds.
I get that there's no easy fix. But when things settle down, please consider if there's something you can do on your end so we can play with sounds disabled at least.

Ofir Agranat
08-12-2011, 05:25 AM
i just switched to lite'ning rom 5.0 and the game runs perfect!!!
no heating! no crashing and no freezing!!!

i didnt activated any background apps, and i also put the battery save bar at the middle (i think that one has prevented the battery from heating)

i just played for ~3 hours with no problems! except one time the ping went crazy for 10 seconds.. a very few minor lags.. and one more time that the ping went crazy but i just closed it cuz my fingers started to hurt lmao

android 2.3.4
lite'ning rom 5.0
(no RTL.. maybe its related.. idk)
I9100XXKG6
SGS2 ofc...

im also using GO launcher.. but im pretty sure it has nothing to do with it

p.s
after 3 hours it only took ~35% battery :biggrin:

edit:
the new rom wasn't it.. its the new sound but in SL lmao!!! seems like since there is a problem with the sound, all SGS2 users can now play haha! without music though

kaliyuga
08-12-2011, 09:15 AM
the new rom wasn't it.. its the new sound but in SL lmao!!! seems like since there is a problem with the sound, all SGS2 users can now play haha! without music though
Nice. If SL runs fine with sounds turned off, it should be doable in PL as well?!
(or did I totally misunderstand your post?)

Can someone with stock firmware verify that SL works with sounds disabled?

Drzak
08-13-2011, 11:18 AM
So for us SG S2 owners do we just have to hope that Samsung do something about their android coding. I'm not a buff on rooting and stuff but I know 2.3.4 has been released, just not how to get it or if it would even fix the problem.

kaliyuga
08-14-2011, 02:26 AM
So for us SG S2 owners do we just have to hope that Samsung do something about their android coding. I'm not a buff on rooting and stuff but I know 2.3.4 has been released, just not how to get it or if it would even fix the problem.
Yup. I'm hoping on a future release of cyanogenmod, but Samsung could also fix it. Question is: will they?

Ofir Agranat
08-14-2011, 03:58 AM
Nice. If SL runs fine with sounds turned off, it should be doable in PL as well?!
(or did I totally misunderstand your post?)

Can someone with stock firmware verify that SL works with sounds disabled?

actualy.. when the bug was on, the game was running fine! no heating, but they seem to fix the bug and now the game still runs fine to me!
but there is no weapon sound

MrNBD
08-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Guys, could some of you confirm that problem was resolved on latest XXKH3 firmware? Friend of mine claims that now he can play Star Legends for hours without a single problem.

kaliyuga
08-21-2011, 04:32 AM
@MrNBD
You're the best! You've switched phone, but still give us tips! :)
Downloading it atm. Will report back with results! (might take a while to be sure)
Edit: Trying Lite'ning 6.1 first. Says it's based on XXKH3.

MrNBD
08-21-2011, 05:30 AM
More info
1. It turned out that he uses "Gr5 XXKH3: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Galaxy S II (stock-style/vanilla)" (http://android.modaco.com/topic/344911-19-aug-gr5-xxkh3-modaco-custom-rom-for-the-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-stock-stylevanilla-with-online-kitchen/), not stock XXKH3. Sorry, i didn't know that before.
2. Last night Star Legends crashed (not froze), after 2+ hours of constant gameplay. Much better if compared to previous ROMs, but still, problem is here.

@kaliyuga, no problem ;) I just really like this game and also... I'm thinking to go back to SGS2. Sometimes you need to loose something to understand how good it was :) Yes, silly me.

EDIT. Today i had a chance to play PL on his SGS2 + above mentioned ROM. After ~80mins of playing (only Crush The Keeper runs) game crashed. Looks like some improvement if compare to my previously tried ROMs (except Lite'ning 1,5), but still. Maybe we will swap our phones for this weekend so i can play a bit more with music player running in the background.

How is your experience with Lite'ning 6,1?

iamnobody
08-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Using xxkh3. SL works before but not after latest update.
I just deleted the wav folder inside android\data\sts.pl\cache (for PL) and create a file name wav
U won't have sound anymore, but u also won't FC. Same to SL.

I3IG_N0sE
08-27-2011, 09:39 AM
I love playing pocket legends. I would love it a lot more if my game didn't freeze every so often, sometimes twenty times in 10 minutes, sometimes not for a couple of hours. I know the problem is something to do with the new android sound system, but I don't really want to run a new version of the firmware that is not supported just to run this game. There has to be something that can be done.

kaliyuga
08-28-2011, 03:18 AM
@MrNBD
Sorry, haven't had time to test it 4 real. Remodeling my apartment.
I have done some half-hour runs on my way to & from work though, haven't had it freeze up/crash on me so far.

@iamnobody
That's some creative problem solving! Thanks :)

@I3IG_N0sE
Yup! There probably is something that can be done. On samsungs end. But might take forever until they fix it...
Tried emailing their support about the issue when I had just bought the SGS2, but they just replied that they do not offer support for third party apps. Though this was a while ago, you might want to try e-mailing them. Just ask if they're aware of the issue, and if there's a plan for a fix :/

MrNBD
08-30-2011, 06:07 AM
New SGSII in my hands :rugby: Tonight going to test: stock KH3, Lite'ning 6.1 and custom Modaco KH3 ROM (stock/vanilla style).

EDIT:

Stock KH3 - fail
Congnition 1.5 - fail
CyanogenMod7 #38 - fail
Lite'ning 6.1 - so far playing with no problems (with Music app in the background)

siersciuch
08-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Using xxkh3. SL works before but not after latest update.
I just deleted the wav folder inside android\data\sts.pl\cache (for PL) and create a file name wav
U won't have sound anymore, but u also won't FC. Same to SL.

Hi i a new here i cant find any files from pl on my galaxy s2 i download astro file menager search and cant find this folder
my friend on his htc desire got same directory as you . Your files are on galaxy or on sdcard? Thanks

Studly
08-30-2011, 04:41 PM
????

iamnobody
08-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi i a new here i cant find any files from pl on my galaxy s2 i download astro file menager search and cant find this folder
my friend on his htc desire got same directory as you . Your files are on galaxy or on sdcard? Thanks

Folder in SDCARD (not the ext. SDCARD). Astro default root folder is at the SDCARD already.

Afid
09-01-2011, 09:16 AM
He doesn't have sts.pl folder in Android/data...

MrNBD
09-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I do, but playing with no sounds is just unacceptable for me.

Afid
09-02-2011, 01:00 AM
I do, but playing with no sounds is just unacceptable for me.

I mean that siersciuch doesn't have a sts.pl folder in Android/data.

iamnobody
09-06-2011, 12:38 AM
New SGSII in my hands :rugby: Tonight going to test: stock KH3, Lite'ning 6.1 and custom Modaco KH3 ROM (stock/vanilla style).

EDIT:

Stock KH3 - fail
Congnition 1.5 - fail
CyanogenMod7 #38 - fail
Lite'ning 6.1 - so far playing with no problems (with Music app in the background)

Some update
Pervious using Sensation 1.5 (KH3) + speedmod = not work
Litening 6.1 + buildin ninphetamine 2.0.5 = work
Litening 6.1 + ninphetamine 2.1.3 = work
Litening 6.1 + speedmod = not work
Sensation 1.5 + ninphetamine 2.0.5/2.1.3 = work

I think it is something related to kernel. Hope can help somebody who know how to flash kernel.

volapyk
09-08-2011, 08:42 AM
The problem is NOT fixed in stock Samsung KH3. It's a known AOSP source bug. So the bug is present in AOSP based community roms like CyanogenMod 7 and Oxygen as well.

AOSP bug thread:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=17623#makechanges
Xda-dev thread about the same PL issue:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=17371455#post17371455

BUT...

For some reason I only get VERY few crashes with Litening Rom 6.1/Ninph kernel 2.0.5 (stock Litening Rom kernel). In 3 weeks, with hours of gaming, I've only had 3-4 crashes. This is a drastic improvement.

The game crashes A LOT with any other KH3 based roms I've tried (clean install/full wipe). Even with the same Nimph kernel. I can reproduce the bug within a few minutes.

I have no clue why the game doesn't crash on Litening Rom 6.x. What's the magic difference?

xBearSpiritx
09-08-2011, 04:08 PM
The problem is NOT fixed in stock Samsung KH3. It's a known AOSP source bug. So the bug is present in AOSP based community roms like CyanogenMod 7 and Oxygen as well.

AOSP bug thread:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=17623#makechanges
Xda-dev thread about the same PL issue:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=17371455#post17371455

BUT...

For some reason I only get VERY few crashes with Litening Rom 6.1/Ninph kernel 2.0.5 (stock Litening Rom kernel). In 3 weeks, with hours of gaming, I've only had 3-4 crashes. This is a drastic improvement.

The game crashes A LOT with any other KH3 based roms I've tried (clean install/full wipe). Even with the same Nimph kernel. I can reproduce the bug within a few minutes.

I have no clue why the game doesn't crash on Litening Rom 6.x. What's the magic difference?

Maybe a Kernel issue?

IATV
09-10-2011, 05:45 PM
I have a SGS2, Android 2.3.3, Gingerbread.BOKE4
PL crashes or freezes ALL THE TIME ! I can't play for 10 minutes. No way! Is there a solution out there?

volapyk
09-11-2011, 07:02 AM
Maybe a Kernel issue?
That's what I thought, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure I used Nimph 2.05 on both Litening Rom and Revolution Rom.

volapyk
09-11-2011, 07:04 AM
I have a SGS2, Android 2.3.3, Gingerbread.BOKE4
PL crashes or freezes ALL THE TIME ! I can't play for 10 minutes. No way! Is there a solution out there?
No, there's no solution for this. This needs to be fixed from source, I think. Find the bug link onthe previous page and report your experience.

If you are rooted you can use Litening Rom 6.1 though. From my experience the game crashes far less with LR.

volapyk
09-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Perhaps Samsung could fix this, but in the end it's an AOSP source bug. So it needs to be fixed from source. The bug is not fixed in the current version, 2.3.5.

iamnobody
09-12-2011, 02:03 AM
Changing ROM/Kenrel may improve
Replaceing cache no FC but no sound
I don think Samsung will solve it soon
But I also think that PL can do something to avoid the issue. Say I don hv issue on Gameloft's game, which mean game coding can help. At least not as a passive role.

kuhne
09-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Hey guys, I am new here, I just registered basicaly to say that I have the same problem, I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 with Villain Rom 2.4.2 and Ninphetamine 2.0.5 kernel.

While I admit this is a problem from samsung and they should do something about it, I must agree with one of the previous posters who said gameloft (and other) games don't crash.. I have played countless gameloft games (spiderman, assasin's, their racing games etc.) and I just fiished that captain america game in the market and have tested many others and not one of these games crashes my device.. the only game I am having trouble with is star legends (haven't tried pocket legends yet) and it sucks for me because star legends happens to be the best game I've ever played in a phone.. I love it and it really, really bugs me that aside from this game my phone is working incredibly well in every aspect, except for my favorite game that crashes whenever it wants to.

which is kind of weird too, because I sometimes get a good 20 minutes of nonstop play without a crash and sometimes it crashes so often that I just get mad and stop playing.

So please.. please.. please... spacetime studios.. do something for us poor people who just want to enjoy your game... and don't worry, I've made sure people at samsung know about this as well, as I said, I know it is primarily their problem but I just know that something can be done so that this problem doesn't present itself from your end, because it happens to be the only game with this problem in my phone.

Or if anyone has found a fix for this, I am all ears, willing to try anything.

Zeosar
10-05-2011, 03:25 PM
bump for fixes!

Samhayne
10-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Join us on this thread http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?38783-Own-a-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-Read-this!

vaucafekie90
10-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Thank god I am not the only one with this problem, I bought the cellphone here in Paraguay which is a small country in latin america, anyway, I used to have a Xperia play which is a slowphone but the gaming experience is great, I remember that on intense action moments the phone slowed down but never got frozen like my actual SGS2, I think the pattern is the intense action moments and the high temperature.
And as a side note, this also happens on star legends and other android MMO

MrNBD
11-10-2011, 06:20 AM
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?42150-Workaround-for-guys-with-Samsung-Galaxy-SII-and-game-freezes

Samhayne
11-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Yeah, check out the workaround posted here: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?42150-Workaround-for-guys-with-Samsung-Galaxy-SII-and-game-freezes