PDA

View Full Version : Warnings for GoA

Artemis
06-19-2011, 08:45 PM
For Guardians of Alterra, there should be a "Warn" feature.

Like if someones in balefort being a troll, a guardian of alterra can use the command /Warn Name reason

What would pop up on there screen.

"Dawninfinity has given you a warning for the reason: Stop looking for a fight. Stupid troll." :)

Sigkill
06-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Lmao, Great Idea

Roasty
06-19-2011, 08:48 PM
For Guardians of Alterra, there should be a "Warn" feature.

Like if someones in balefort being a troll, a guardian of alterra can use the command /Warn Name reason

What would pop up on there screen.

"Dawninfinity has given you a warning for the reason: Stop looking for a fight. Stupid troll." :)

I'm certainly NOT a GoA, but I'll bet you 1k this feature might teach some people not to bug around

KingFu
06-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Nice suggestion, but I don't see a big difference between that and messaging them:)

MoarPewPew
06-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Nice suggestion, but I don't see a big difference between that and messaging them:)

Exactly, or just report them and screen.

Artemis
06-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Anyone can fake being a GoA. I wont care if some level 5 PM's me like "SHUT UPPP!" i would care if i recieved an accual warning.

Roasty
06-19-2011, 08:59 PM
I still like the idea :)

KingFu
06-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Anyone can fake being a GoA. I wont care if some level 5 PM's me like "SHUT UPPP!" i would care if i recieved an accual warning.

No one can fake having the shield;) Besides, most new players that are acting immature and such

Pharcyde
06-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Perhaps it should be a Automatic Message. "Guardian of Alterra DawnInfinity Reported you for Inappropriate Language. This behavior is not tolerated, action will be taken."

Darkfader
06-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Even goa is elite of elite, I doubt this being added because of abuse. As everyone knows all of goa have not been so good as status requires. ;)

Junside
06-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Even goa is elite of elite, I doubt this being added because of abuse. As everyone knows all of goa have not been so good as status requires. ;)

Some are very naughty. In a sense. Haha jk

Otukura
06-19-2011, 11:25 PM
I can't troll anymore?

Anyway, one of the features of the report feature is being anonymous. I'm not sure, but I doubt all the GoAs would want their name to be show, as below. An option for them to show their name?

Perhaps it should be a Automatic Message. "Guardian of Alterra DawnInfinity Reported you for Inappropriate Language. This behavior is not tolerated, action will be taken."

Zeus
06-19-2011, 11:34 PM

You can be naughty without breaking the TOS, it's a fine line to be crossed. Lol. I don't think being a GOA includes completely changing who you are. If that was the terms, I'd resign from the position.

Junside
06-19-2011, 11:34 PM
I remember a mobile site I used to be active at. They chose "Members of the Week" and they held a sort off higher voice to the developers. When one of the members was chosen, she received death threats and hate messages in her private messaging. They didn't believe she deserved it. She was terrified and terminated her account because of this sour welcome she received from some people. Is was saddening that people got so worked up over something like that.

If the GoA do receive some sort of authority, they should prepare for the ugly rebellion that would come their way. I know in some ways its nothing. But it can get to you. Just because you wanted to do the right thing.

KingFu
06-20-2011, 12:42 AM
You can be naughty without breaking the TOS, it's a fine line to be crossed. Lol. I don't think being a GOA includes completely changing who you are. If that was the terms, I'd resign from the position.

Ditto, I'm me. A title, no matter how cool and honoring, can't change that.

Personally, I think people expect a bit more from GoA than they should. Being a guardian is a title IMO, not exactly a job. More so a title saying "you're doing awesome and helping the community, here's a title so you can be acknowledged. Keep it up!". GoAs don't have any power really, and I think it'd be nicer if it were kept that way so that there isn't controversy and drama.

Splurd
06-20-2011, 01:15 AM
Firstly, not every PL player visits the forums, and they may not know what a GoA is.

But I do think a pop up message would be good. Something that says "you have been warned for: 'Abusive language'. If you continue to misbehave, further actions will be taken and your account may be banned"

Having a warning system built into PL may reinforce their authority, other then simply giving them a fancy shield.

Otukura
06-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Thinking about this, it seems to be sorta like the GoA's ability to lock threads thing... sam put it somewhat like this

"I wouldn't hang that burden on them uniformly. GoA is a thank you thing, not, hey thanks now do this other thing."

KingFu
06-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Warning system: mute. People get muted to find out there's a mute feature. All the warning there needs to be IMO.

Other warming feature: temp ban. Unless they do something awful enough to get perm banned. Which if its bad enough to get a perm ban, they should know not to say it IMO.

Redbridge
06-20-2011, 02:15 AM
I think most people have covered the various points i'd make.

Its a really great idea but giving GoA's in-game responsibility might actually devalue the award.

Splurd
06-20-2011, 02:24 AM
I think most people have covered the various points i'd make.

Its a really great idea but giving GoA's in-game responsibility might actually devalue the award.

Its not a responsibility, but more of an ability.

But overall, I think the whole process may be more effort then its worth.

Its only a way to say WHOO LOOK AT ME I AM THE BIG SCARY GOA AND YOU BETTER TOE THE LINE!

Noctale
06-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Its not a responsibility, but more of an ability.

But overall, I think the whole process may be more effort then its worth.

Its only a way to say WHOO LOOK AT ME I AM THE BIG SCARY GOA AND YOU BETTER TOE THE LINE!

I agree.

Let's leave the power of justice where it belongs; with the Devs.

Zeus
06-20-2011, 08:56 PM
I think people have the wrong idea of what a Guardian of Alterra does, I too was confused initially. It's because of the title itself, GUARDIAN of Alterra. It is a sense of power, indicating a moderator like status to those who are unaware. Which, obviously it isn't. Sure, we get some perks, which we can't really disclose, but that's about it. No real power in game, that's the way it should be.

Granted, I will notify players if they are cussing vulgarly infront of me, that I'm a Guardian of Alterra and my account is likely being monitored, due to the position, so it's best to stop, as it may result in a ban. That's about it, sometimes I am asked to prove it. I have NEVER once said I was a moderator though, and actually admit to anybody that asks, "Can you ban me?". My answer is "No, I can't. If anything, if I report you on something about breaking the TOS, you probably have a higher chance of getting banned." That's about it.

Once again, I say, that's how it should be. Which is why I don't wear the GOA status on forums often either.

CowboyJim
06-20-2011, 09:51 PM
I ask people nicely to watch their language or behavior. If they don't, or if they reply negatively, I report them....I don't tell them or make a big deal about it. mostly because if they're acting that way already, then they're just gonna argue with you anyway. I don't want power or authority, I just want to play the game and enjoy it and encourage others to do the same.

Samhayne
06-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but the Guardians of Alterra program is a reward. We are looking at different volunteer programs, but I don't think we are going to enact a program like that. Too many issues, as others have pointed out.

Zeus
06-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but the Guardians of Alterra program is a reward. We are looking at different volunteer programs, but I don't think we are going to enact a program like that. Too many issues, as others have pointed out.

Making players moderators is a bad idea, no matter how chivalrous one is, they always succumb sooner or later to something in game.

So... Good idea to saying that making "Player-Moderators" is a bad idea? xD.

Johnaudi
06-21-2011, 04:38 AM
I disagree,most people have teh right to accuse people but,we also have the right that we can report them...Care or don't, you are reported :)

Arterra
06-21-2011, 08:02 AM
i only wear the avatar of the GoA since i like to mix that and chronicler for the collectors look xD frankly i dont see us with any special powers.

I was afk-ing in the shadow town and got on to see someone asking me to do something about the sudden ranting that appeared. I reported and went back to chatting with someone. Pretty much all you have to do.

I wouldn't mind the power to help, but that is me as an individual. I dont think that the GoA, that are in truth drafted to the status, should be forced unto too much.

thugimmortal
06-21-2011, 11:58 AM

Id like to know more about the volunteer programs. It sounds intresting and would like to put my name down for any position that becomes available in the future.

Sent from my GT540 using Tapatalk

StompArtist
06-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Stop looking for a fight. Stupid troll." :)

Artemis has been reported for calling the troll stupid. :D