PDA

View Full Version : Question about character stats

Angrytyrant
01-14-2016, 09:14 AM
Hello!
So I heard that character stats, like Hit% dodge etc are capped. If thats true, what are cap levels? I always wondered how does Hit% and Dodge% are evaluated in combat scenario? If i have Hit% of 100 & target dodge of 30, does it mean i have 70% chance of hitting it?

LEVEL ONE
01-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Physiologic's Guide to Advanced Mechanics in PL (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?16817-Guide-to-Advanced-Mechanics-in-PL-DPS-Crits-etc)

Waug
01-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Hello!
So I heard that character stats, like Hit% dodge etc are capped. If thats true, what are cap levels? I always wondered how does Hit% and Dodge% are evaluated in combat scenario? If i have Hit% of 100 & target dodge of 30, does it mean i have 70% chance of hitting it?

Bit commonsense if any percentage has to be capped, it would be capped at 100%, no? In b4 super surprising expertness come to argue. Keep in mind only two things 1> This things are based on probability & probability tends to get closure to realty if test number is enormous. 2> Before it is calculated there are different things that may manipulate it & it has to go through some sequence that makes it complex.

LEVEL ONE
01-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Bit commonsense if any percentage has to be capped, it would be capped at 100%, no?Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Common sense would also tell you that a 100% dodge probability would result in you always dodging a hit - that's not the case though.

If a 100% dodge character meets a 100% hit character the universe collapses...

Angrytyrant
01-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Ok, im reading through the guide LEVEL ONE posted, and im confused on how dodge is different than miss. I always thought if you dodge attack, your opponent gets a miss.... His research shows thats not the case. Could anybody explain the difference between Dodge and miss?

Suentous PO
01-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Ok, im reading through the guide LEVEL ONE posted, and im confused on how dodge is different than miss. I always thought if you dodge attack, your opponent gets a miss.... His research shows thats not the case. Could anybody explain the difference between Dodge and miss?

Attacker either hits or misses, the opponent either dodges or gets hit.

Bit commonsense if any percentage has to be capped, it would be capped at 100%, no? In b4 super surprising expertness come to argue.

Hehehehhh
"Westpsy suggested that it may be possible that there is a Hit% cap, or a point where it doesn't matter how much Hit% you have, you will still miss an enemy; I am inclined to believe this as well. Your true Hit% may be 82-85% in Close Encounters, and won't be able to increase beyond that."

-From the guide posted.

tHelonestud
01-14-2016, 06:29 PM
The hit chance actually doesn't have a cap unlike it did at the time of the guide, with 100% hit chance you will never miss, although your opponent may still dodge the attack which has nothing to do with your stats.

Burningdex
01-14-2016, 06:40 PM
The hit chance actually doesn't have a cap unlike it did at the time of the guide, with 100% hit chance you will never miss, although your opponent may still dodge the attack which has nothing to do with your stats.

when did it change from 84%?????

Waug
01-14-2016, 10:51 PM
That expertiness hit.

I also states two points that nobody tried to understand the probability factor & sequence, that does not let final output to be depandant on 2 factors only rather through many factors.

Some ppl think hit% has direct impact on dodge other hand some believe ONLY miss has relation with hit%, as even that has been stated in this particular thread by different ppls but both are incrroect in an way.

When it comes to hit% against miss, and it would be capped at 80% even at endgame we would miss at least 20% hits ( on an average) whoa we don't even miss 1% without getting debuffed( again debuff is pretty broader term than ppls thinks)

And level1 if ur so smart put a screenshot of dodge being a percentage and I called dodge a percentage first, then we will go to the next phase of argument.

LEVEL ONE
01-15-2016, 04:54 PM
And level1 if ur so smart put a screenshot of dodge being a percentage and I called dodge a percentage first, then we will go to the next phase of argument.It was just a joke about how you can't apply real-world common sense to the game.

If you're looking for a fight, we can always do that out in the field. Of course, you'll have to ascend to my level first.

Befs
01-15-2016, 05:28 PM
you'll have to ascend to my level first.

Wouldn't it be descend? Just saying bc ur level one.

P.S. Opest run! He will use the powers of frozen to rekt u @ level 1

Waug
01-16-2016, 03:36 AM
It was just a joke about how you can't apply real-world common sense to the game.

Real World maths also applicable for game logic, they don't use math that don't exist in real life xD but well STS would be fool if they say it percentage & then don't use it as percentage in game mechanics but no sign of being such stupid in this context atleast :P well I ain't looking for a fight because, my dear, the fight already took place & somebody got rekt already, hehe.

Burningdex
01-16-2016, 06:45 AM
The hit% has always been under debate, i like many others due to testing by various brilliant forumers; am led to believe the hit caps around 84% and no matter how much more you have it doesnt actually impact gameplay. This is where dodge comes in.

@Befs, isnt he i plying that Lvl1 is better than L80 and therefor he needs to ascend to better gameplay (i explained that badly)??

Suentous PO
01-16-2016, 10:26 AM
Real World maths also applicable for game logic, they don't use math that don't exist in real life xD

Neither "pure mathematics", or "abstraction" apply to the "real" world despite being accepted as math, but back on point..

but well STS would be fool if they say it percentage & then don't use it as percentage in game mechanics but no sign of being such stupid in this context atleast :P

Samhayne did and it that sts was "very fond of decimals" but we do not see them, we see only rounded numbers.

Befs
01-16-2016, 12:43 PM
@Befs, isnt he i plying that Lvl1 is better than L80 and therefor he needs to ascend to better gameplay (i explained that badly)??

Yeah I was just taking it incredibly literally.

Waug
01-17-2016, 06:23 AM
The hit% has always been under debate, i like many others due to testing by various brilliant forumers; am led to believe the hit caps around 84% and no matter how much more you have it doesnt actually impact gameplay. This is where dodge comes in.

And I believe my understanding on the mechanics, neither I blindly follow anyone does not matter who it is. you're probably fan of the guide and most probably also extract points from that guide, right?Now please read & try to understand it carefully. lets look at this diagram from that guide -

According to this, hit roll comes at very beginning than any other factor, even before the dodge factor so you can't say -"Attacker either hits or misses, the opponent either dodges or gets hit" in the context "..no matter how much more you have it doesn't actually impact gameplay. This is where dodge comes in" that's because dodge or miss both are not options for an attack, dodge may only occur if and only if it was not missed in the first place. now it imply that even if opponent dodged, we managed to pass through the 'miss' factor, that means dodge also should be count as successful hit against miss, as far as hit-miss relation is concern.Now it get pretty easy to test successfully, why you need to follow some back dated & small data compared to your finding while you played endgame, if you did both,I mean playing endgame and watched the misses, you would know that 84% hit capping is INVALID, neither you can prove this. It your choice now, because if you want to believe in wrong things, I don't have problem with that.

Neither "pure mathematics", or "abstraction" apply to the "real" world despite being accepted as math, but back on point..
I meant game mechanics are written using "real math" no? if anyone has to say anything against it, I would not even argue with him.

Samhayne did and it that sts was "very fond of decimals" but we do not see them, we see only rounded numbers.
using random number, rounding off the decimal part is not against math or science, it's an well approved thing happens in math and science if necessary, conditions apply. For example someone can dodge 3 times but cant dodge 3.2 times, You must have to make it round, but while in the calculation it is obviously 3.2 dodge may occur (While calculating with various factors)

Thnx

Burningdex
01-17-2016, 06:57 AM
Waug i agree w/ u about the hit and miss thing, but i still believe hit is capped at 84-85.

Suentous PO
01-17-2016, 10:15 AM
According to this, hit roll comes at very beginning than any other factor, even before the dodge factor so you can't say -"Attacker either hits or misses, the opponent either dodges or gets hit" in the context "

Yes I can because that is exactly what the chart shows. He asked the difference between miss and dodge. They have the same effect but are caused by either attacker or opponent.

I only bring up decimals, as you seemed to say -sts doesn't use numbers we don't see. They do or have.
Just as there are/have been other things we haven't seen like hidden stat caps.- note I am not saying there is or isn't one now

Waug
01-18-2016, 12:54 AM
Yes I can because that is exactly what the chart shows. He asked the difference between miss and dodge. They have the same effect but are caused by either attacker or opponent.

I only bring up decimals, as you seemed to say -sts doesn't use numbers we don't see. They do or have.
Just as there are/have been other things we haven't seen like hidden stat caps.- note I am not saying there is or isn't one now
I didn't quote u, I did quote Burnindex mentioning "in the context" then quoted him/her again, It's totally fit what I have said in that context.

I'd say the same thing again what I tried to say in this context since beginning that the Game mechanics are written using real life math and numbers, they can't use some alien math & numbers, neither any game developer have the capability to do so, that's it.

Suentous PO
01-18-2016, 07:56 PM

you can't say -"Attacker either hits or misses, the opponent either dodges or gets hit"

yes I can..

I didn't quote u,

o.O?
Ok ima guess this is just some language barrier thing.

Btw have you seen this yet? (No it's not me lel)

Waug
01-19-2016, 09:35 PM
^did u read burningdex's post carefully, nope if you would you would not say this.

P.s - ya I see that the way u see ur own char.
Reserved the name after deciding the name of my channel and before creating the channel.

Suentous PO
01-20-2016, 09:46 AM
yup, language barrier then.

(-.- )______,\/,,

Waug
01-22-2016, 10:31 PM
I quoted this, also mentioned in which context -

I don't have problem if somebody trying to take it as complex whereas it's as clear as water.