PDA

View Full Version : Does it make a diff 1 or 5 skill points into mana shield?

Inching
06-04-2010, 01:23 AM
Does it make a diff 1 or 5 skill points into mana shield?

Thx

Royce
06-04-2010, 02:15 AM
The strength of the skill's armor buff depends on the number of points. I say max it if possible, but it's helpful even at 1.

Pleasure_Pirate
06-04-2010, 05:35 AM
You'll see that the skill will say something like 30-120 damage, or 8-32 armour, etc. The lower value is the max damage/buff/debuff at rank 1, whereas the higher value is the max at rank 5. So yes, it makes a difference.

Royce
06-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Specifically Magic Shield (why does everyone call it mana sheild?) has an armor buff of 4-12 points. So 4 armor at 1 skill point, and add 2 additional armor for each skill point assigned up to 12 armor at 5 points.

ed anger
06-04-2010, 09:15 AM
the question is more: it is worth the extra 4 points to get +12 armor instead of +4, when you get x2 the hp either way. ie at 35 is there other skills it would be better to have the points for, esp with the changes to the buffs for pvp.

Royce
06-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I still max mana shield, just too good to pass up the buff. I just dropped the debuffs completely. They are inferior to the debuffs of other classes anyway which is quite lame.

FluffNStuff
06-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I still max mana shield, just too good to pass up the buff. I just dropped the debuffs completely. They are inferior to the debuffs of other classes anyway which is quite lame.

I still max nightmare as a debuff before I light off a combo (have tested and it really makes a difference), but don't use weakness. As for Magic Shield, I put one point into it to get the 380 life points but put the rest in blessing of vitality as it give 8 armor per point instead of the 4 per point that magic shield gives.

Royce
06-04-2010, 11:19 AM
I still max nightmare as a debuff before I light off a combo (have tested and it really makes a difference), but don't use weakness. As for Magic Shield, I put one point into it to get the 380 life points but put the rest in blessing of vitality as it give 8 armor per point instead of the 4 per point that magic shield gives.

Yeah, I definitely agree it makes sense to max BOV before Magic Shield, but it's nice to be able to alternate between them during cooldowns. Nightmare and Weakness are both weak debuffs, but I actually like Weakness more simply because it has a longer range. Still the debuffs need serious help from the devs, as they are really not worth spending any points on at the moment. Either is just a waste if not maxed, and I feel like those 5 points could be better spent elsewhere, especially since I feel like I'd need both debuffs to make any meaningful difference.

Xanthia
06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
IMO most important skill for PvE and PvP, absolutely great skill. Signature Enchantress skill.

Royce
06-04-2010, 11:36 AM
IMO most important skill for PvE and PvP, absolutely great skill. Signature Enchantress skill.

Yeah, you're the one who convinced me to give it another try a while back, and I have not looked back since :)

Xanthia
06-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Yeah, you're the one who convinced me to give it another try a while back, and I have not looked back since :)

Thanks Royce, if ya need any other suggestions let me know :)

Relis
06-04-2010, 11:53 AM

Just curious but why do you feel it's the most impotant skill?

Royce
06-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Just curious but why do you feel it's the most impotant skill?

This was Xanthia's post that changed my mind: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?1461-Xanthia-s-Healing-Build-2.0&p=13338&viewfull=1#post13338

Basically for most enchantress builds you will have much better mana regen than health regen, as well as a larger mana pool. The shield makes you close to invincible for a short time (and definitely invincible if maxed and combined with the new self-buff of BOV).

flaimdude
06-04-2010, 12:09 PM
With the magic shield, you don't even need hp pots (even if you did before). All you have to do is buff, magic shield, spam heal and mana pots. :)

Royce
06-04-2010, 12:12 PM
With the magic shield, you don't even need hp pots (even if you did before). All you have to do is buff, magic shield, spam heal and mana pots. :)

I've barely used any pots with my INT enchantress since like lvl 30. Shield and heal mean no need for health pots, and mana regen in the teens means no need for mana pots. Result: steady cash flow :)

Royce
06-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I still max nightmare as a debuff before I light off a combo (have tested and it really makes a difference)

Just one reason I stay away from Nightmare. Consider this comparison between it (N) and Lightning (L), which is now one of the best skills IMO:

Cost: L 30, N 50
Cooldown: L 12 sec, N 32 sec
Range: L 8m, N 6m
Armor debuff: L doesn't say!, N 25 maxed
Debuff length: L 11 sec maxed, N 8 sec
Damage: L 120 maxed, N zero, zilch, nada

Even without knowing the strength of Lightning's armor debuff, it's hard given the numbers to consider Nightmare a viable skill choice.

Diz
06-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Dude Xan, sig enchantress skill is f'ing HEALING hello!!!!!

But yeah Mana S has to be in top 3, no doubt.

Royce
06-04-2010, 02:05 PM

Yeah, good point. I think the three essentials every enchantress should have are Heal, Rez, and Magic Shield. BTW, do people (especially Dex and Str enchantresses) realize Rez has a mana regen buff? Only about one point, but useful for builds with low M/s. Does anyone know if that increases with points added (I've never used more than 1 skill point in Rez)?

Xanthia
06-04-2010, 02:59 PM

LOL Diz...yea honestly it should be I would love like having 46 more heals :)

Diz
06-04-2010, 05:29 PM
My top three are heal, ms, and frostbolt. No doubt... in fact I could play my char with just those three skills if I had to.

Royce
06-04-2010, 05:39 PM
My top three are heal, ms, and frostbolt. No doubt... in fact I could play my char with just those three skills if I had to.

Frost huh? Do you skip icestorm then, or have both? Nevermind actually, this is already way OT. I should actually just start a new thread on enchantress skills, which I will probably do later today. I'm rethinking a few of them (including nightmare which I blasted in this thread :o ). Anyway, I think it's about time for such a thread since the skills have changed so much recently.

Diz
06-04-2010, 05:42 PM
No I'm saying I could play my character somewhat the same if I could only choose 3 skills to have.

Inching
06-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys for the info, actually over info'ed which is great.

Inching