PDA

View Full Version : Players who pounce on sewer drops

OrangeDreams
06-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Had the unpleasant experience today of some level 56 player jumping all over me as soon as I landed a raid roach leather drop. He said that he was eager to buy it and since I was only going to sell it on cs anyhow, I agreed to talk about it. Just as I was typing in an initial offer of somewhere in the 400k-500k range (I don't mind losing some cs value if I'm selling to a player I've run with who will use the item), he msgs me offering 125k. And then states that the going price for rr leather in CS is 150k. From my vague memory of cs sewer pink prices I knew this was probably BS, but here a LEVEL 56 player directly stating to me that the price was 150k. I won't deny that his elite level had me doubting myself a little. What if I had drastically misremembered the value of rr leather? Why would a l56 tell such a ridiculous lie?

I ended up keeping the item and selling it for 500k in cs in less than five minutes. But I have to say it takes a lot out of the fun social experience of PL when elite players will lie to you so baldly. And I realize now that part of his trick was to jump me *in* the sewers instance before I could go and check cs - he was very pushy and desperate, wanting to push the deal through immediately.

Does anyone know how common this kind of thing is? He basically tried to weasel a new-ish player out of a valuable item before same new-ish player had a chance to familiarize himself with the value of said item.

Maybe there's no real point to this post - I just think a sewer pink is a sort of special event (especially for new players), and I don't get why a CoP owner would want to crap all over a player's experience like that. From now on I probably won't be doing any player-to-player selling, just cs.

Otukura
06-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Blacklist him, IMO it's a scam, because he's trying to get you to sell it to him at a really cheap price.

Sorta a debate about a similar thing here. (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?28722-Reportable-Really-can-t-tell) I've reported one person for it, because he was going on for at least 5 minutes about it, then once I told him he was reported he started telling me he's got a job and is 40 years old, then he tells me his mom is cooking(WTH?), then he tells me he's going to Stanford University(can't use proper grammar this whole time), and it was getting really annoying. Finally, he tells me that he's got all his friends to report me.

I added details in the email that goes along with the report, and the auto response says they'll get back. I'll post here if they say it's not okay.

Register
06-22-2011, 09:46 PM
wow.......
I find a lot of these people...i dislike the :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Just report them if you are sure they just arent stupid when it comes to item prices

toronero
06-22-2011, 09:49 PM
sadly, people try to pull an okie-doke like this in all games like this. its a hazard of the game. i, myself, vendor EVERYTHING except blues and pinks. the ones i dont vendor, i compare prices in the auction house and usually undersell by at least 5% and at most 10%. if someones seen what i got and offers to buy , i tell them to let me see whats in the auction house because i would not want to feel like i am cheating them. knowing its just a nice way to say, im not gonna let you cheat me. lol
gratz on your huge profit and not falling for the okie-doke.

Sigkill
06-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Yea thats harsh :( I would have offered 400k for it in his position :)

Silentarrow
06-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Who knows he may have actually thought that that was the price. If you see people in balefort offering rip off prices simply just tell them that their price isn't fair and they will usually lower their price and if they don't judt warn everyone of the rip off price.

OrangeDreams
06-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Blacklist him, IMO it's a scam, because he's trying to get you to sell it to him at a really cheap price.

Sorta a debate about a similar thing here. (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?28722-Reportable-Really-can-t-tell) I've reported one person for it, because he was going on for at least 5 minutes about it, then once I told him he was reported he started telling me he's got a job and is 40 years old, then he tells me his mom is cooking(WTH?), then he tells me he's going to Stanford University(can't use proper grammar this whole time), and it was getting really annoying. Finally, he tells me that he's got all his friends to report me.

I added details in the email that goes along with the report, and the auto response says they'll get back. I'll post here if they say it's not okay.j

Wow, your thread is quite interesting, and really it addresses the point much more directly than my rambling post. It seems like the sticking point is providing a false valuation. If someone is relying on you for an appraisal of whatever asset it would seem like a pretty clear no-no for you to provide a falsely low estimate so you can buy it and later resell at a profit.* That's clearly some form of cheating, and not merchanting. Honestly I don't have the interest or energy for merchanting and will gladly underprice an item just to get the deal done - I'm sure I'm not alone in that. No need to conflate merchanting with cheating.

re merchanting - They may max out the profit on an item but for me personally it would seem like an overall loss. Let's say I can sell an item for 70k right now, or I can sell it for 100k after a decent amount of time spent drumming up interest and searching for the best offer. In both real-life and PL the time I lost making that 30k is more valuable to me than the 30k itself. We could be talking about a solid hour of writing, or a decent amount of exp grinding. Or time spent with my fiance. Or sleeping. Etc.

Or we could consider it in terms of profit per minute. Let's say I say I sell for 70k in 5min: 14k g/min. Or, 100k in 50min: 2k g/min. I'm making more gold but I'm becoming less productive on the whole.

I'm not sure what it means to blacklist someone, but I did ignore him. I can be quite liberal with the ignore feature. : )

Also, to those who suggested he may have been genuinely misinformed: normally I would give the person that benefit of a doubt, but I find it extremely unlikely that a person could grind to 56, be in the process of leveling a DEX alt, and still be that off about cs prices.

* - Sadly the art of providing poopy appraisals due to financial CoI is something the entire world has forcibly had its eyes opened to these past few years. : /

Otukura
06-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Blacklist and my ignore list are the same thing; if anyone on it joins my game, auto-boot.

Josephjackson
06-23-2011, 12:56 AM
Its outragous. Sad.

But I woundnt call 56 an elite class. Just some elite players are 56.. Some are newbish :-)

CanonicalKoi
06-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Yeah, saw a player trying this on another after Goldfever dropped RR armor. It landed on a level 51-52 mage, who everyone congratulated. She asked if it was worth a lot and a bird said, "Oh, no. Not at all." then he offered to buy it. I told her it was worth a fair amount and that she should check the CS prices before deciding what to sell it for. Birdie was not happy with me, but then I wasn't happy with him trying to scam someone who didn't know better.

Otukura
06-23-2011, 01:20 AM
Yeah, saw a player trying this on another after Goldfever dropped RR armor. It landed on a level 51-52 mage, who everyone congratulated. She asked if it was worth a lot and a bird said, "Oh, no. Not at all." then he offered to buy it. I told her it was worth a fair amount and that she should check the CS prices before deciding what to sell it for. Birdie was not happy with me, but then I wasn't happy with him trying to scam someone who didn't know better.

You get a cookie [::]

Conradin
06-23-2011, 01:28 AM
I just ignore them. Remember if it sounds sketchy or too good to be true- it probably is. What hurt can waiting 5 mins be anyways. You can always ask friends prices too. I have aske tpickle soo many questions about price right before a trade in the last your its crazy.

elianel
06-23-2011, 01:40 AM
something like that happen to me i had the vanity helmet big luck and some body say to me i wan to buy it but if i can sell it i won't sell it and i say this helmet you can;t sell or trade omg and hi say yes you can take it off do it you wan me go to your house and do it and i leave lol

davidis57
06-23-2011, 01:47 AM
I ignore all trade and sales attempts in combat. If they want to discuss it after than I will but not in a game map.

Ebalere
06-23-2011, 01:55 AM
Dude, this happens from time to time, not just elites do it. Just some bad eggs. Always, and i mean always, check cs before even talking trade when it comes to new and unfamiliar pinks.

In sewers when i see that pink pop up in chat log i get a little jealous, but i always just say nice drop and keep goin. and this is just a form of scamming, it can happen in fh if u catch a noob dropping a meatmasher. So to stereotype all 56s like that is really uncalled for dontcha think? I get level 50s trying to sell me hi tech blasters of w/e for 15000 every day, doesnt mean i think every level 50 is a cheat.

Fyrce
06-23-2011, 02:05 AM
LOL. If someone asks what something is worth, I always try to tell them and tell them to check CS. I don't like to trade in the middle of runs or if group is running. And if someone is pressing someone else hard about a drop, I will PM the person who got the drop with what I think the value is. If they want to sell, they should have a chance at a fair price.

I don't usually ignore just someone asking about a trade/buy, but I admit to really hating that inside a dungeon. Anything more than just a query would probably annoy me. I don't mind a simple query or a simple, "I really need that." If I can and I like the group, I will give someone an item I drop. But if they're being annoying...

JaytB
06-23-2011, 03:20 AM
re merchanting - They may max out the profit on an item but for me personally it would seem like an overall loss. Let's say I can sell an item for 70k right now, or I can sell it for 100k after a decent amount of time spent drumming up interest and searching for the best offer. In both real-life and PL the time I lost making that 30k is more valuable to me than the 30k itself. We could be talking about a solid hour of writing, or a decent amount of exp grinding. Or time spent with my fiance. Or sleeping. Etc.

Or we could consider it in terms of profit per minute. Let's say I say I sell for 70k in 5min: 14k g/min. Or, 100k in 50min: 2k g/min. I'm making more gold but I'm becoming less productive on the whole.

You must have some misconception about merchanting IMO. I consider myself a merchant, and I don't agree with your statement about time lost with merchanting vs profit. If you're doing it right, it can take you just a couple of minutes of your time to make a profit of several 100k's. You can make gold while you sleep, while you spend time with your fiancee, while doing farming runs...

On topic, people that make offers like the one you encountered, don't deserve to be called merchants IMO. They just try to make some quick gold by exploiting other players. Only advice that I could give is, never buy or sell something you don't know the price of. So, you did good by not selling it and ignoring him afterwards :)

OrangeDreams
06-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Dude, this happens from time to time, not just elites do it. Just some bad eggs. Always, and i mean always, check cs before even talking trade when it comes to new and unfamiliar pinks.

In sewers when i see that pink pop up in chat log i get a little jealous, but i always just say nice drop and keep goin. and this is just a form of scamming, it can happen in fh if u catch a noob dropping a meatmasher. So to stereotype all 56s like that is really uncalled for dontcha think? I get level 50s trying to sell me hi tech blasters of w/e for 15000 every day, doesnt mean i think every level 50 is a cheat.

Um, when did I stereotype all 56s? I was shocked that a 56 would do that, which would suggest that my experience with the 56 class bad otherwise been excellent, no? Which would be true, of course.

Jaytb - I'm bound to have some misconception about merchanting, considering I haven't done it. : ) But my idea was that it involves a lot of time seeking out underpriced merchandise, checking prices, listing and re-listing, hawking items in balefort occasionally. . . Etc. Probably doesn't take as much time as I think, though. Maybe I'm simply inventing excuses for not engaging in an activity that to me looks like a real drag.

CanonicalKoi
06-23-2011, 09:33 AM
You get a cookie [::]

Oh! Omnomnomnom.... :)

apocketlegend
06-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Wow lol thank god for the ignore list!