PDA

View Full Version : About Arcane Staff

Kingofninjas
02-04-2016, 08:21 PM
On paper, the staff definitely blows the wisdom gun out of the water. But there are some drawbacks.

Firstly, you lose 85-90 skill damage (on lightning) on another equally gemmed staff vs a wisdom gun. To compare, the giant bone Bow vs Elon Bow was only 30 skill damage less (on Aimed shot).

The HP and stat bonus on the staff is far superior to the gun. You gain roughly 260 hp over wisdom gun, and .5 crit. When under the proc, you gain an additional 3 crit and roughly the same damage u get from wisdom guns proc.

However, the difference is this. The staff will proc 100% of the time, but only if it's charged. The wisdom gun proc is far rarer, but can happen just by tapping the gun. Since it takes 3 seconds to charge and the staff proc lasts 8 seconds, you will have 5 seconds before u have to start charging again if you want to remain under the proc. This takes away 37.5% of your time, which is a huge deal in PvE and more so in PvP. Also, the range of the proc is small. 3 steps will take you out of its range. Because of the 4 axe sets, u will probably have to charge it more than once in the 8 second time period.

I'm not advertising wisdom gun. The staff may still be better. I'm just pointing out that it isn't a no brainer decision like many assume it is based on the stat bonus on character screen.

will0
02-04-2016, 09:10 PM
nice analysis ... not every thing is base on stats on equipment and all the ranting about the daggers .. agree !

Runel Joseph Ruiz
02-04-2016, 09:56 PM
i feel bad for the arcane weapons though they should just have put it as a mythic rarity

Morholt
02-05-2016, 12:14 AM
The charged thing isn't a proc. It's an 'additional spell,' as sts calls it.
The actual proc on the staff is that DOT it can cause from its normal attack (which can be spammed quickly--staves' auto attack much quicker than guns do). With Nekro and arcane shield, you have a nice safety. Toss in HoR, and even more. Plus the warriors can now proc for 100% stun? Plus your fireball and ice? You'll practically be able to stand in front of a pack of monsters without needing to wear armor, while you attack up close.
Why do you want to trigger the actual proc? Because it'll be more important than your damage skills in those lvl 56 elite maps. Those mobs are going to have HUGE numbers for life. And your DOT proc does a hefty % of it per tick. Yes...percentage! If a mob has 1 million health, a single 7% tick would deal 70,000 damage...

Kingofninjas
02-05-2016, 01:01 AM
The actual proc on the staff is that DOT it can cause from its normal attack (which can be spammed quickly--staves' auto attack much quicker than guns do). With Nekro and arcane shield, you have a nice safety. Toss in HoR, and even more. Plus the warriors can now proc for 100% stun? Plus your fireball and ice? You'll practically be able to stand in front of a pack of monsters without needing to wear armor, while you attack up close.
Why do you want to trigger the actual proc? Because it'll be more important than your damage skills in those lvl 56 elite maps. Those mobs are going to have HUGE numbers for life. And your DOT proc does a hefty % of it per tick. Yes...percentage! If a mob has 1 million health, a single 7% tick would deal 70,000 damage...

If you are talking about PvE, then rogues are still king. No single weapon is going to change that. If you are talking about PvP, no clue what the second paragraph was supposed to mean.

Bellaelda
02-05-2016, 01:30 AM
Ummm.... OK....

So is it just me confused by this?

"Increase raw damage"... by what?

"Crit chance"... by what?

"Reduce damage"... by what?

I'm soo confused....

And the big one...

"initial cast does damage to nearby enemies"
... huh?

What's this mean??? Meaning normal attack also hits nearby targets? If so... How much? And what's considered initial attack? Typically we always attacking... So first target I hit per zone? Or does this reset every mob or by time???

Please elaborate

ladymage
02-05-2016, 03:24 AM
I like my new arcane staff, its awesome

Bellaelda
02-05-2016, 04:12 AM
I like my new arcane staff, its awesome

I hear it's pretty decent...

Atleast nobody really ranting about it... So that suggests it's cool... But description is soooo vague!... For all the new weapons really... Want better descriptions of procs

will0
02-05-2016, 04:13 AM
It cost more than rogues weapon for the first time... Lets see all the dagger ranting gets anywhere

Bellaelda
02-05-2016, 04:22 AM
As far as new spell goes...

It says "increases damage, crit, and reduces damages for 8 sec on initial attack"... Besides not knowing how much it affects each stat..." Does that mean we should basically plan only charging attack every 8-9 seconds to trigger this spell? Or is there a cool down in between? What does " Initial "mean?

Morholt
02-05-2016, 07:54 AM
If you are talking about PvE, then rogues are still king. No single weapon is going to change that. If you are talking about PvP, no clue what the second paragraph was supposed to mean.You're over looking the fact that you won't be wearing mythic armors that are cap lvl. Only legendary ones. And you can't even get those until you actually farm in the elite maps.

What does that mean? A pack of rogues aren't going to be able to survive the damage onslaught they'll be receiving from lvl 56 elites. Spamming health potions won't do it anymore, when your defense is going to be lacking. The game is looking like it'll actually require a balanced party to farm elite maps effectively.

Lastmind
02-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Ummm.... OK....

So is it just me confused by this?

"Increase raw damage"... by what?

"Crit chance"... by what?

"Reduce damage"... by what?

I'm soo confused....

And the big one...

"initial cast does damage to nearby enemies"
... huh?

What's this mean??? Meaning normal attack also hits nearby targets? If so... How much? And what's considered initial attack? Typically we always attacking... So first target I hit per zone? Or does this reset every mob or by time???

Please elaborate

As far as new spell goes...

It says "increases damage, crit, and reduces damages for 8 sec on initial attack"... Besides not knowing how much it affects each stat..." Does that mean we should basically plan only charging attack every 8-9 seconds to trigger this spell? Or is there a cool down in between? What does " Initial "mean?

Uncharged normal attacks have a chance to apply a %age damage dot on enemies.
Charging a normal attack casts Consecrate. No cooldown, increases damage by around 25, crit by around 3% and reduces incoming damage by 25%. Initial cast means that it deals small aoe damage on creation of the Consecration zone.

Platfarmer
02-05-2016, 12:14 PM

Does the proc even work? I dont notice any dots testing the staff, but i love the additional skill

Kingofninjas
02-05-2016, 02:46 PM
You're over looking the fact that you won't be wearing mythic armors that are cap lvl. Only legendary ones. And you can't even get those until you actually farm in the elite maps.

What does that mean? A pack of rogues aren't going to be able to survive the damage onslaught they'll be receiving from lvl 56 elites. Spamming health potions won't do it anymore, when your defense is going to be lacking. The game is looking like it'll actually require a balanced party to farm elite maps effectively.

I still don't get your point. This thread is about the mage class, not rogue.

Morholt
02-05-2016, 05:31 PM
I still don't get your point. This thread is about the mage class, not rogue.And you're the one who mentioned rogues first. In fact, rogues were your whole attempt at a coherent counterpoint to my breakdown of mages in the lvl 56 cap.
So, naturally, my response to your response is going to be about what you said. How are you not following how a conversation works? I even quoted you about rogues.

Here, let me recap the conversation for you:

You: I feel very skeptical about the usefulness of the new staff.
Me: the staff will shine in the new elite content, as its true power is based on how strong the target is.
You: rogues will always be the best.
Me: rogues may still be good at attacking, but their survivability will be very lacking without the help of a balanced party with mages and warriors present. A rogue can't kill if it is already dead.
You: why are you talking about rogues?

will0
02-05-2016, 07:12 PM
The normal attack DOT shows when the mobs get a skull icon on them and they flash a bit, it is not very visible and need to be observant. The charge skill range indeed very small hard to maneuver around when it is only 3 steps and gone as per Kingofninjas mentioned which is correct.

I would suggest STS should make the charge skill buff more bigger range so that everyone in the team can benefit from it when in elite / attacking boss so caster wont die when trying to charge the skill in front or around mobs in elite trying to throw bombs i.e rengol maps.

Deathlyreaper
02-05-2016, 08:12 PM
On paper, the staff definitely blows the wisdom gun out of the water. But there are some drawbacks.

Firstly, you lose 85-90 skill damage (on lightning) on another equally gemmed staff vs a wisdom gun. To compare, the giant bone Bow vs Elon Bow was only 30 skill damage less (on Aimed shot).

The HP and stat bonus on the staff is far superior to the gun. You gain roughly 260 hp over wisdom gun, and .5 crit. When under the proc, you gain an additional 3 crit and roughly the same damage u get from wisdom guns proc.

However, the difference is this. The staff will proc 100% of the time, but only if it's charged. The wisdom gun proc is far rarer, but can happen just by tapping the gun. Since it takes 3 seconds to charge and the staff proc lasts 8 seconds, you will have 5 seconds before u have to start charging again if you want to remain under the proc. This takes away 37.5% of your time, which is a huge deal in PvE and more so in PvP. Also, the range of the proc is small. 3 steps will take you out of its range. Because of the 4 axe sets, u will probably have to charge it more than once in the 8 second time period.

I'm not advertising wisdom gun. The staff may still be better. I'm just pointing out that it isn't a no brainer decision like many assume it is based on the stat bonus on character screen.

What it takes away dmg on light??? But I thought more dmg(which is what the arcane WEP gives)= more skill dmg I'm so confused it gives more dmg on character screen but less skill dmg?? Is that bug?

robetbee
02-06-2016, 05:17 AM
The spell are so small for party and the dot are so rare than ppl loot sns in massive rengol *grab popcorn*

Sent from my ASUS_T00F using Tapatalk

will0
02-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Dots are rare compared t warrior lava spouts / Charging staff spell takes mage's mana ...... this is not right ..

bonjovi3223
02-06-2016, 11:57 PM
So it seems like the staff also needs a fix?

Spell
02-07-2016, 12:23 AM
The staff takes up 7% of my total mana each cast which is huge....i wish they would redo the extremely rare dot on normal attack with something better like life steal or somthing other than a tiny 7% hp debuff...the charged attack should also have stun immunity while inside the circle imo to help fight the silly lava stuns.This would encourage more teamwork which is the best in my book.

Zylx
02-07-2016, 12:37 AM
The staff takes up 7% of my total mana each cast which is huge....i wish they would redo the extremely rare dot on normal attack with something better like life steal or somthing other than a tiny 7% hp debuff...the charged attack should also have stun immunity while inside the circle imo to help fight the silly lava stuns.This would encourage more teamwork which is the best in my book.

Normal attacks use mana?

Ebezaanec
02-07-2016, 12:52 AM
Normal attacks use mana?

Charged attacks used mana (for the consecrate skill) and if you are at zero mana, you don't even get the attack lol. And I think I saw my staff proc "Dragon Bite" once since I got it. Still not sure what it does exactly.

But I like the visual for 'Consecrate.' Reminds me of Diablo 3 skills.

Zylx
02-07-2016, 12:58 AM
Charged attacks used mana (for the consecrate skill) and if you are at zero mana, you don't even get the attack lol. And I think I saw my staff proc "Dragon Bite" once since I got it. Still not sure what it does exactly.

But I like the visual for 'Consecrate.' Reminds me of Diablo 3 skills.
Oooo i wanna see what that consecrate skill looks like!

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Runel Joseph Ruiz
02-07-2016, 01:02 AM
all of the arcane weaps needs a fix. too many bugs especially the sword

Ebezaanec
02-07-2016, 01:08 AM
Oooo i wanna see what that consecrate skill looks like!

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

will0
02-07-2016, 01:16 AM
Please improve charge staff spell it shouldn't take our mana. Normal attack process is rare and 7% life steal is nothing for example 5000 hp u take only 350 hp and is rare for 5sec / 2.5% in pvp or boss. Charging the spell leaves us vulnerable yes agree there should be invulnerability to caster when we use it.

The Charge skills area buff needs to be increase too... only 2-3 steps and we are away from the circle buff

Spell
02-07-2016, 06:52 AM
Please improve charge staff spell it shouldn't take our mana. Normal attack process is rare and 7% life steal is nothing for example 5000 hp u take only 350 hp and is rare for 5sec / 2.5% in pvp or boss. Charging the spell leaves us vulnerable yes agree there should be invulnerability to caster when we use it.

The Charge skills area buff needs to be increase too... only 2-3 steps and we are away from the circle buff
Agree 100% sts please improve this staff. I do like it but it needs work.

robetbee
02-07-2016, 07:33 AM
About spell that reducing damage taken can it stack with arcane shield? Or nekro?

Spell
02-07-2016, 10:21 AM
About spell that reducing damage taken can it stack with arcane shield? Or nekro?

No i have tested this with a few people and the 25% dmg reduction only stacks with pets that have a dmg reduction stat.like singes 4% dmg reduction.

chummier248
02-07-2016, 07:13 PM
im no mage :)

Jazzi
02-07-2016, 07:45 PM

Elite bosses have 200k+ hp dont they? So 2,5% is 5000+ damage per tick no? Mobs in elite maps have 15-30k hp, so 7% is 1000-2000 damage per tick no?

7% mana out of 7000 is not much either is it? 100% chance for 25% damage reduction seems pretty strong for those 7% mana (plus u get the damage and crit buffs).

So the only thing I see here is that the not charged proc might be too rare, no?

will0
02-07-2016, 08:19 PM
You got that part all wrong. %7 total healt damage is quite powerful. Its designed for bosses they have huge healt and expect bigger healtpool in 56 cap. Its a proc that makes mages usefull on bossfight like a rogue. It boost your single target damage quite considerably. And that charged skill on weapon.. %100 chance and long duration..Thats just Unbeliveable. you have 2 different proc on single weapon (charged and this) and you are still finding a way to complain..

"quite" powerful and is quite a rare process, do you actually play mage toon with this staff? Please don't compare paper stats and real play. Charging staff takes 3-4 sec and if get cancel at times due to lag or whatever reasons, 8 sec minus 3 sec charge time you leave to 5 sec usage do you call that long duration??

I am also unbelievable non mage players comments on arcane staff thread.. Why don't they make rogues weapon chargeable for AA let see what will happen leaves them wide open to attack when charging...
Look at this current thread at least 3 mage player have tested it maybe more (refer to original posting from Kingofninjas), we are here for constructive comments not non tested paper stats comments

bonjovi3223
02-07-2016, 11:27 PM
You got that part all wrong. %7 total healt damage is quite powerful. Its designed for bosses they have huge healt and expect bigger healtpool in 56 cap. Its a proc that makes mages usefull on bossfight like a rogue. It boost your single target damage quite considerably. And that charged skill on weapon.. %100 chance and long duration..Thats just Unbeliveable. you have 2 different proc on single weapon (charged and this) and you are still finding a way to complain..
Just because the daggers are not what you wanted, you start trolling on a mage thread?
Well.....why am I not surprised.