PDA

View Full Version : Please read and comment

Tobikuma
06-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Im getting kinda bored (again)
Last time was when "gifting" was implemented, and so I started up a reputable trade post.

Once again, Im bored, I have 3 cap jobs, every swamp pink, and sold off 90% of my items in a 2mil gross.
Now once again, Im left wondering how I can amuse myself, while also benefiting my community.

I have been thinking of 2 things for about a week now, that i'd like to share and get feedback on. so PLEASE I beg for constructive feedback.

IDEA 1)forming a charity, this I would need others to help donate, and not just CRAP. which would of course need a THREAD (sorry forum only, no street beggers allowed here) for WORKING individuals, the casual players that may not be able to afford the best gear. And yes, I would research your activity to make sure you are a good player that does do work and maybe doesnt have luck on thier side, not just spams in town.
(really good info on this page 3)

Feedback) Im unsure about this becuase the dropping prices, however again still some are out of reach to alot of people, and new expansion soon will start the hording up again. It COULD be possible if I could get some players who are somewhat selfless. Along this, there would be credit for the "angels" and maybe new friendships. Again this is HUGE toss up and risk.

IDEA 2)WEEKLY LOTTO, again this would have to be FORUM ONLY, and I would either need to get a random number generator, or go by a real lotto number on TV. I'd also need to make a character strickly for this as it will be NON profit for myself, just entertainment.

Feedback)again, I know people are kinda penny pincers these days, and unless many played (say 1k per ticket, thats not alot if only 15 people play, or 10k per ticket maybe too much for some to gamble. Flipside if it was over 100 people the thread would be MASSIVE and well tons of work to maintain)
Secondly, some people may not trust me or even know me would prolly have no interest.

EDIT: IDEA 3) SCAVENGER HUNT, possible 3-5 items per day until new dungon release (possible after) would be a variety of items ranging from clear to pink (example Amethyst gem sword, frog hunter bow, blue mage garb, ice staff of the owl, conquerors wing shield) that would only need by shown to pass on on to the next round and day. Obtianed through already existing items, farmed, or bought, as long as all reqs met.

Feedback)Hmmm would there be an entry fee? and exactly what would the end prize be? What if more than 1 finish? how would winning be split? and ovbiously I cant be on 24/7?

Overall) so Please share your ideas, or maybe different ones to add. I'd LOVE to do something outside the box that benefits the community and YOU.
If I dont get responses Ill just let the ideas die.

Cascade
06-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Sounds good to me but it would take quite a bit of work.
http://i48.tinypic.com/2h8bmew.jpg

Aerospacegod
06-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Someone with a lot of time on their hands should arrange a PVP tourny ;)

Edit: I couldnt even give my purples away almost no one wanted em

flaimdude
06-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Weeky lotto would be SWEET. :D

Rebel
06-05-2010, 05:17 PM
I like the lotto idea. It would just add a little something extra to look forward to for the end of the week. Especially when we are all bored and waiting for something new and exciting to come out.

Tobikuma
06-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Im more than willing to put time into lotto
Again i need feed back on acceptable ticket amounts, and a guesstamite if people would actully PLAY it, again 15 people is gonna be kinda blah, even if you win at 1k ticket.
to be honest if low volume gamblers, unless time went by with no winning ticket, the winnings would be slim.
Also how would i set up? there are 3 possible ways I see at this time.
a)Numbers are the same as on TV (3 number, OMG more than that is just insane)
b) random number generator site of 1-3 numbers
c)Sign up on a 1-99 sheet on thread and again a random number generator [difference being if B) only has 1 number 2 can play that same number and have 2 winners split winnings, where as C) sheet number only can be played by 1 person.]

Possible a one week only mega lotto? like 50k ticket? then again who would drop 50k?

Aerospacegod
06-05-2010, 05:56 PM
5k ticket, i would do 3 days timeframe but there should be a winner or maybe 1/10 chance no winner

Avadonna
06-05-2010, 06:08 PM
IDEA 1)forming a charity, this I would need others to help donate, and not just CRAP. which would of course need a THREAD (sorry forum only, no street beggers allowed here) for WORKING individuals, the casual players that may not be able to afford the best gear. And yes, I would research your activity to make sure you are a good player that does do work and maybe doesnt have luck on thier side, not just spams in town.

I think forming a charity is a great idea. However, I see a few issues with limiting the charity to people who post and request it here. 1. We already know and like each other. If I were to ask for something I needed, I would probably receive three or four of them just because you all know me and know I'm not out to grief anyone. 2. I think, because we can not read anyone's mind through the game interface, that it would be extremely challenging to determine whether anyone was honestly in need. Following up on someone would be a lot of work, and take a lot of time, and I think there may be very little reward for you in doing that.

My suggestion is that you turn a begger into a worker by getting them to work for what they are begging for. For example, one day I saw a newbie bird and he had no bow. He was asking for gold. So I asked him what happened to his bow. He said "like a noob, I sold it." He made a mistake. I could have just handed him a bow that he could sell and buy a new one (I didn't have a bow that he could use.) I told the guy that I didn't have a bow for him, but we could go out and get one. So he followed me to a low level game, and we hunted, not until he got enough stuff to buy a bow... but until someone in our party found a bow that he could use! Every time someone new entered my game, I informed them that we were on a quest to find this bird a bow he can use. And you know what? It worked, and I had fun doing it and I think the others in my party had fun doing it. We found this guy a bow, and he didn't just stand around waiting for us to find one, he used his spells and worked with us. I hope that he will in turn do this sort of thing to help some other newbie. Maybe I kept him from giving up, who knows.
It will be easy to weed out the ones who don't want to work for it, if you just tell them you'll help them hunt, and they refuse to go with you.

There was a thread about a week ago where someone said they were board while waiting for the next campaign to come out. I was serious when I suggested to that person to create a quest for themselves. Boredom is a choice.

Friend me the next time you see me in game and if you come across a newbie that needs help, I'll join!

I don't have any opinions about the Lotto. Sounds like it would be fun for those who want to play.

Rebel
06-05-2010, 06:08 PM
I have an idea. How about the amount of money that people put in could be the same ratio to people who put in more money. This might be kind of confusing so let me make an example.

Lower level person who doesn't have much money may put in 300 gold into the lotto. He WINS! So, his amount of gold is multiplied by 10.
Then, say a high level person puts in 5k for a lotto ticket. He wins, so he gets 50k gold. This may need a little fixing up, and I don't know exactly how it works, but I think I may be going on the right track.

Aerospacegod
06-05-2010, 06:12 PM
So 100k is collected, the guy who put in 300 gets 3k and the other 97k goes to?
Or 25k is collected, the guy who put in 5000 wins, who covers the missing 25k?

Edit: Ticket could be lower say 2k but you can buy up to 5 tickets each?

Furrawn
06-05-2010, 06:12 PM
I like the idea... I'd buy a ticket each week up to 3k....
But no 50K ticket buying for me...

Furrawn
06-05-2010, 06:18 PM
I think forming a charity is a great idea. However, I see a few issues with limiting the charity to people who post and request it here. 1. We already know and like each other. If I were to ask for something I needed, I would probably receive three or four of them just because you all know me and know I'm not out to grief anyone. 2. I think, because we can not read anyone's mind through the game interface, that it would be extremely challenging to determine whether anyone was honestly in need. Following up on someone would be a lot of work, and take a lot of time, and I think there may be very little reward for you in doing that.

My suggestion is that you turn a begger into a worker by getting them to work for what they are begging for. For example, one day I saw a newbie bird and he had no bow. He was asking for gold. So I asked him what happened to his bow. He said "like a noob, I sold it." He made a mistake. I could have just handed him a bow that he could sell and buy a new one (I didn't have a bow that he could use.) I told the guy that I didn't have a bow for him, but we could go out and get one. So he followed me to a low level game, and we hunted, not until he got enough stuff to buy a bow... but until someone in our party found a bow that he could use! Every time someone new entered my game, I informed them that we were on a quest to find this bird a bow he can use. And you know what? It worked, and I had fun doing it and I think the others in my party had fun doing it. We found this guy a bow, and he didn't just stand around waiting for us to find one, he used his spells and worked with us. I hope that he will in turn do this sort of thing to help some other newbie. Maybe I kept him from giving up, who knows.
It will be easy to weed out the ones who don't want to work for it, if you just tell them you'll help them hunt, and they refuse to go with you.

There was a thread about a week ago where someone said they were board while waiting for the next campaign to come out. I was serious when I suggested to that person to create a quest for themselves. Boredom is a choice.

Friend me the next time you see me in game and if you come across a newbie that needs help, I'll join!

I don't have any opinions about the Lotto. Sounds like it would be fun for those who want to play.

You don't know me....
But just from this post (and others), I really like you...
I love the bow story...

And I agree.... It's good to involve new players in working for stuff they want...
Plus, I think being nice and helpful might rub off so they'll be nice and helpful to new players they meet:)

Rebel
06-05-2010, 06:21 PM
You don't know me....
I love the bow story...

And I agree.... It's good to involve new players in working for stuff they want...
Plus, I think being nice and helpful might rub off so they'll be nice and helpful to new players they meet:)

Haha! That sounded like something that a stalker would say! "You don't know me, but I really like you"

Anyway, another idea for pricing would be different price lottos.

1k ticket: winner gets 5k
2k ticket: winner gets 10k
3k ticket: winner gets 15k

Getting my drift?

Aerospacegod
06-05-2010, 06:28 PM
who would play to win 5k? if it's not 100k I wouldnt bother

Tobikuma
06-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Concerning the Lotto, I do appreciate all the ideas.
I do feel that it would start small, and it would HAVE to start small.

If i were to imply it say tomorrow it would most likely be a 1k to 10k ticket (1 or 10k sounds really good to start, its EASILY made by a weekly timeframe with room to spare), with the 1-?? sign up number sheet.
The winning number would most be just taken from the FIRST digit of the real lotto in my area to foul an idea of me accused of playing favorites, whether number or person.
and as always, if there is no winner it would add to the next week drawing.

Until it has a better amount of players, then the process could evolve to something more similer to a real lotto

Again Im still working out how everything would run, so keep with the ideas and I REALLY need support to make any of this happen
Remember folk the more that play the more the winning pot is.

Mathmatically speaking if 10k ticket (weekly drawing) and 30 people play thats a 300k winning pool, again I will push 10k is not that much for a WEEKLY drawning, so again comment if YOU feel this may be too high.

Aerospacegod
06-05-2010, 07:08 PM
i get #23 when we play =)

Tobikuma
06-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Another thing concerning the comment on different lotto prices/percentages

First off no. Thats way too much math and work.

however like the REAL lotto

a 1k drawing, 10k drawning, and a 50k or 100k drawing would be much more managable.
Think about it like scratch offs. The more the ticket, the higher amount can be won (and lost)

Rebel
06-05-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm still trying to figure out a money system. What if we just base the system off of an actual lottery game?

Tobikuma
06-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm still trying to figure out a money system. What if we just base the system off of an actual lottery game?

The lotto system has a massive amount of gamblers.
It isnt possible unless I had that kind of support.
Again it would need to grow and evolve to that, which would be the ultimate goal if the idea gained momentium, support, and players.
Until then, it have to go with a 1# hit or miss.
There is just no way possible to do anything great with such a small amount of people/funds

Mobdropper
06-05-2010, 07:35 PM
1) I like this idea, and would be happy to donate pinks to the charity. Although weeding through people that might attempt to take advantage of this, could prove to be a lot of work and trouble. If you want to do it though, I have at least a dozen swamp pinks for those that really need them.

2) a. I like the lotto concept, but perhaps the time frame needs to be shortened? So much changes in a week, with this game. Maybe a lotto every three or two days?
B. Depending on how many numbers you want people to choose, you could always go by the power ball lottery, and have the winning number match the power ball or something. Which would also ensure everyone could check it. I trust you, but if it was a number from something out of everyone's ability to control, more people might participate. Or maybe instead of a matching number, have the winning number be a sum of the 6 winning power ball numbers. That way, ticket purchasers could choose between 6 and like 300 (I think), and allow for lotto roll over and more tickets to be sold, and more players.
C. However you decide to do it, the ticket cost should be minimal compared to the prize. Ie 1k tickets, 100k prize. Then if it gets rolled over and no one wins, the next lotto goes up to 150k, then 200k, etc, etc. And with roll over prizes, ticket limits might want to be considered. Maybe limit people to 25 tickets max (or less). But picking 25 out of 300 and getting it right is lottery style than allowing someone to buy 300 tickets and getting an auto win.
D. Time limits, you can't always be on, and even shops stop selling tickets after a certain hour. Possibly designate a certain time frame each day for tickets to be purchased. Or some way to make your own forest haven lv1 game people can join and buy tickets during certain hours?
E. Also, possibly some secondary prize(s) for people that come close, like 10% within 5, 5% within 20. Then the people who qualify, all split the prize evenly. So if two ppl come within 5, and the prize is 200k, they each get 10k.

3) This one I'm kind of iffy about since if a lot of people are playing, you would need to keep track of who traded you first, etc. And then what stops someone from going through and getting a wide variety of items the day before? :/. Maybe if it was a scavenger hunt where ppl had to collect 5-10 of said item, that might work - and would provide less margin for cheating. Also, an instance for trading or showing items might work best here as well. Then who is first, second, third, etc would be visible from the party list.

Also, if any entry fee, should be minimal as well, due to this requiring much time for ppl. And monetary prizes are always the best (IMO), but also have a number of prizes depending on number of entrants. If only 5 ppl, only first or second prize, if 10 ppl, first through third. Something like an additional prize per additional 5 entrants.

Hope this is the type of FB you wanted.

flaimdude
06-05-2010, 07:43 PM
I'd say start with 5k a ticket. Get a random number generator, from 1 - whoever, and whoever's number gets picked wins! :)

Tobikuma
06-05-2010, 07:48 PM
[/QUOTE]2) a. I like the lotto concept, but perhaps the time frame needs to be shortened? So much changes in a week, with this game. Maybe a lotto every three or two days?
B. Depending on how many numbers you want people to choose, you could always go by the power ball lottery, and have the winning number match the power ball or something. Which would also ensure everyone could check it. I trust you, but if it was a number from something out of everyone's ability to control, more people might participate. Or maybe instead of a matching number, have the winning number be a sum of the 6 winning power ball numbers. That way, ticket purchasers could choose between 6 and like 300 (I think), and allow for lotto roll over and more tickets to be sold, and more players.
C. However you decide to do it, the ticket cost should be minimal compared to the prize. Ie 1k tickets, 100k prize. Then if it gets rolled over and no one wins, the next lotto goes up to 150k, then 200k, etc, etc. And with roll over prizes, ticket limits might want to be considered. Maybe limit people to 25 tickets max (or less). But picking 25 out of 300 and getting it right is lottery style than allowing someone to buy 300 tickets and getting an auto win.
D. Time limits, you can't always be on, and even shops stop selling tickets after a certain hour. Possibly designate a certain time frame each day for tickets to be purchased. Or some way to make your own forest haven lv1 game people can join and buy tickets during certain hours?
E. Also, possibly some secondary prize(s) for people that come close, like 10% within 5, 5% within 20. Then the people who qualify, all split the prize evenly. So if two ppl come within 5, and the prize is 200k, they each get 10k.

3) This one I'm kind of iffy about since if a lot of people are playing, you would need to keep track of who traded you first, etc. And then what stops someone from going through and getting a wide variety of items the day before? :/. Maybe if it was a scavenger hunt where ppl had to collect 5-10 of said item, that might work - and would provide less margin for cheating. Also, an instance for trading or showing items might work best here as well. Then who is first, second, third, etc would be visible from the party list.

Also, if any entry fee, should be minimal as well, due to this requiring much time for ppl. And monetary prizes are always the best (IMO), but also have a number of prizes depending on number of entrants. If only 5 ppl, only first or second prize, if 10 ppl, first through third. Something like an additional prize per additional 5 entrants.

Hope this is the type of FB you wanted.[/QUOTE]

A) problem is The time frame needs to be weekly for 2 reasons. 1st is to collect enough for a good wining pool, 2nd to allow WEEKEND only players in.

D) yes I had concidered this and will most likely have a Collection time from, signing up on thread would be 24 hours.

E)There isnt really a 2nd winner in lotto, either you match the number or you dont, and there is no way to do this until it (IF) gets bigger, and its a 3 number choice. This case it would be POSSIBLE but again its so far in the unknown future I wouldnt stress concidering it now.

3) Items would only be shown in the trade box, if I did again, would be Xtime-Xtime, results posted online of course.
This is the first response on idea #3, but I assure you it wouldnt be as easy as it sounds. It would infact take quite a bit of work, seeing as most items are liquidated if not epic or legend.

STUPID quote not work

Mobdropper
06-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Also, for the lottery you can set up a google doc so people can automatically enter the numbers they choose after they have purchased tickets. Then everyone can easily see who else is in the lottery and what numbers ppl are picking. If you go with this, I can help you set up the google doc.

Mobdropper
06-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Your quote didn't work because you killed it before it started :p

Tobikuma
06-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Sound good.

honestly NOTHING is stopping me from setting up a backbone system EXCEPT players.....

SUPPORT
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Should I hire an advertiser LOL?

Mobdropper
06-05-2010, 07:54 PM
If you want to take weekend players into consideration, you could still have two lotto's a week. One that starts on Sunday and goes till Tuesday, and another that runs thursday to Saturday. Two 3 day lotto's a week.

Mobdropper
06-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Also, excel or google docs can easily do random numbers from within a given range.

Avadonna
06-05-2010, 08:19 PM
You don't know me....
I love the bow story...

Thank you, that is very stalkerish of you to say. Lol. I'm just kidding. Rebel is funny.

Being nice to others is good game karma.

Furrawn
06-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Thank you, that is very stalkerish of you to say. Lol. I'm just kidding. Rebel is funny.

Being nice to others is good game karma.

Yeah...
I should have thought about how that sounded... I just thought your post was great and had seen some other post elsewhere recently by you that was kind...

Toki-
I'd go up to 5K a ticket but prob not 10K.... But I'm sure plenty would go for 10K....

SlipperyJim
06-06-2010, 06:42 AM
I don't like gambling, so I'm not going to join a lottery.

However, I like the idea of helping up-and-coming players. We could either do straight item donations, helping people hunt (like Avadonna mentioned), or a combination thereof. Frankly, that's a lot of what I'm doing these days, just on an unofficial basis. I'll join some Swamps map with lower-level players and support them as much as possible. It's a lot of fun! I even solo'ed Frogmar a few days ago after she wiped the rest of the party. (I was playing Epimetheus.) Pocket Legends is still fun to play, even if I don't really need any more XP or loot right now. :)

Tobikuma
06-06-2010, 11:11 AM

However, I like the idea of helping up-and-coming players. We could either do straight item donations, helping people hunt (like Avadonna mentioned), or a combination thereof. Frankly, that's a lot of what I'm doing these days, just on an unofficial basis. I'll join some Swamps map with lower-level players and support them as much as possible. It's a lot of fun! I even solo'ed Frogmar a few days ago after she wiped the rest of the party. (I was playing Epimetheus.) Pocket Legends is still fun to play, even if I don't really need any more XP or loot right now. :)

Okay this actully made a spark go off in my head.

Like again instead of being random. a few players and a time frame willing to help.
This would infact only need a few people and a short time.
the downfall would be a set time would exclude players with otherly time requirements, and also not much backround on the characters being helped.

But I see huge potential in this again if there was forum player support.
Even just a few tank bears could manage lower dungeons , and maybe 2 players for swamp.
I am saying this becuase if it were to happen the goal is HELP not HANDOUT exp.
And drops would definetly have to be furthor discussed
If you or anyone else wants to furthore on this, let me know, This seems to be a great oppurtunity. And id like to get it set up before the oasis if possible.

Slipperyjim: Your opinion is HIGHLY valued to me as your are more (claimed to be)the casual player. I would LOVE to hear more from you, and again greatly appreciate your input and concern, I would be honered if you would assist me in creating this.

Druc
06-06-2010, 02:43 PM

Like again instead of being random. a few players and a time frame willing to help.
the downfall would be a set time would exclude players with otherly time requirements, and also not much backround on the characters being helped.

Even just a few tank bears could manage lower dungeons , and maybe 2 players for swamp.
And drops would definetly have to be furthor discussed
If you or anyone else wants to furthore on this, let me know, This seems to be a great oppurtunity. And id like to get it set up before the oasis if possible.

Slipperyjim: Your opinion is HIGHLY valued to me as your are more (claimed to be)the casual player. I would LOVE to hear more from you, and again greatly appreciate your input and concern, I would be honered if you would assist me in creating this.

I'm not on *too* much and the times can be pretty sporadic throughout the week. But pending no guild responsibilities I'd be more then happy to lend my bow to help with anything, let me know what you come up with or need a hand organizing anything

Furrawn
06-06-2010, 04:35 PM

The guild I'm creating is going to have a "Charity Nursery" (nursery even has a leader already) that will exist solely to help out new players. It will be unrelated to recruiting since I want the guide to be a smaller very close-knit group. Besides, we'll not look at recruits til they're lvl 25, etc yadda yadda. The goal of the nursery is just to help out new players...I think the game can only benefit from "paying it forward."

Maybe there could be a guild that exists for good public works? I know our charity nursery would be happy to help a guild with that or anyone who wanted groups of volunteers for that.... :)

smokester
06-06-2010, 05:03 PM
I really like your charity idea alot and I'll definitely give you pinks lvl30-35 because it's going to a good cause however it's going to be hard to determine if they being real or trying to take advantage of free loot lol I think maybe have players vouch for them or play with them and get to know the person build some rapport then decide if that persons being true or not... I kinda do charity already lol for my sister and my brother who don't have much time as me to play PL so I get items for them most of the time and I've been able to get them full pinks for their characters (they have two each) and also I have given pinks to friends ive farmed with if I have or get something that I don't need even if it's pink but I have to say I have become kinda selfish nowadays trying to horde stuff to sell to make money lol but I'm content with what I have now and wanna give back to the community so you can count me in Tobi

Tobikuma
06-06-2010, 05:34 PM
I really like your charity idea alot and I'll definitely give you pinks lvl30-35 because it's going to a good cause however it's going to be hard to determine if they being real or trying to take advantage of free loot lol I think maybe have players vouch for them or play with them and get to know the person build some rapport then decide if that persons being true or not... I kinda do charity already lol for my sister and my brother who don't have much time as me to play PL so I get items for them most of the time and I've been able to get them full pinks for their characters (they have two each) and also I have given pinks to friends ive farmed with if I have or get something that I don't need even if it's pink but I have to say I have become kinda selfish nowadays trying to horde stuff to sell to make money lol but I'm content with what I have now and wanna give back to the community so you can count me in Tobi

This most likely how it would be set up.
Time frame there would be 1-2 Volunteer workers guiding players through the scheduled (1-3 days a week) zone/s (EXP and farm focus split) for the alloted time (30min-hour), upon completion they would recieve an item if they could not obtain one naturally.

to get this started Literally all id need is maybe 2-5 volunteers and then people who would like to sign up for help.

O yes and as far as 34/35 equipment goes, keep in mind that most of the people are going to be after oasis items, and swamp with be yesterdays bread. There is no way I could be fully operation before oasis. Greedy concerns should be an issue as it to help the underleveled and equiped, not the capped players

Furrawn
06-06-2010, 05:41 PM

I don't know if this helps or not...

Obviously, as you said, if they are friends we know they aren't taking advantage.
Here's what i do when I help an unknown player... If possible I get two lvl 35's (or any upper lvl) to help because it's more time effective... play with them so they can get their own weapons while also helping them level. Now, because of Avadonna's post, all of us give the newbie EVERY weapon pertaining to his/her character choice that we get while playing with him/her. At the end of the first full campaign, I give the newbie a purple if I have one. The player we took last night was so excited over the purple- lol.

Some newbies are looking for handouts. They are USUALLY easy to spot.
They just want weapons given to them without playing.
OR
They'll play but won't actually help.
I had a little guy yesterday who would not help. We tell the little guys below level 10 to stand behind us but to be right behind us... Helping to fight but not in the first line of damage... This guy did not want to help AT ALL. I nicely told him three times that we were HELPING him NOT doing it for him. His behavior didn't change. So, we would stop walking or fighting til he was actually with us as a team. He had his first death while actually fighting. He had a fit about having a death.
n00b- "OMG death I died a death I have a death i'm ruined"
He left the game immediately.

My point being that if you play with them through an entire campaign, the few that are looking for a handout usually show their hand...

If that helps? Just my own experience...

tjornan
06-06-2010, 11:13 PM
I currently hold a small lottery every day, the prize only being a low lvl pink. Its not that hard to get seein as high level players sell these cheaply

Btw Furrawn it sounds like ur trying to teac kindergartners.

PS I love the idea of like a "adopt a noob foundation"

Where lvl 34/35 players adopt a lvl 1 noob and help him lvl for the day, then the noobs duke it out in pvp. The player that helped the noob that wins gets a free swamp pink. But this would take some thought and organization to it, just a brainwave

Kirei
06-06-2010, 11:46 PM
i like all these ideas, so if you need any help with them, im in.

tjornan
06-06-2010, 11:51 PM
So 100k is collected, the guy who put in 300 gets 3k and the other 97k goes to?
Or 25k is collected, the guy who put in 5000 wins, who covers the missing 25k?

Edit: Ticket could be lower say 2k but you can buy up to 5 tickets each?

Just a brainwave
there could be multiple winners,
while if there are extra scraps they are spread out evenly between the winners

SlipperyJim
06-07-2010, 09:40 AM

And drops would definetly have to be furthor discussed.
Being a casual player, I can't really commit to a specific timeframe. I usually play during my commute, morning and evening Eastern time, but not always. If I had to promise to cover (for example) the 1700-1800 "shift", I wouldn't do it.

Here's what would work for me: Some sort of communication system with which I could check a "job board" or something when I'm ready to play. Then, if there are some newbies who need an escort, I could join them. Epimetheus spent this morning tanking for some lvl 25-30 characters in the Lost Expedition. Blast from the past! (And yeti are a lot easier to kill than crocs!)

Just don't call it an "Escort Service" or people will get the wrong idea! ;)

Drops are not my concern. I don't know exactly what you meant by: "And drops would definetly have to be furthor discussed." If you meant that we (the helpers) would donate any drops to the newbies we are helping ... well, I sorta do that anyway. If it would be required, I'm probably okay with that for the lower-level maps. After all, I don't really need a Frosty Snowbird Wing of Legend anyway! On the other hand, I'd like to keep any Swamps drops that I can get. (As I've written in other threads, I'm not fully pinked-out yet.) But tell me what you meant, and we can discuss it further. :)

My only condition would be that I want to help players who want to fight, but need a little help doing so. I don't want to help leeches. My general rule-of-thumb is that characters should be within five levels of the map we're running. In other words, newbies should be at least lvl 25 before I'll help them in the Swamps. (Based on the idea that the Swamps are meant for lvl 30 characters and above.) If you're not at that level or higher, then you probably won't be able to make any difference against the mobs, and you'd die within a few seconds if you somehow managed to get the mobs' attention. At that point, I'm not helping you; I'm carrying you. The difference is important to me.

SlipperyJim
06-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Some newbies are looking for handouts. They are USUALLY easy to spot.
They just want weapons given to them without playing.
OR
They'll play but won't actually help
QFT. And a nice example.... :)

smokester
06-07-2010, 02:07 PM
[/QUOTE]Just don't call it an "Escort Service" or people will get the wrong idea! ;)

Drops are not my concern. I don't know exactly what you meant by: "And drops would definetly have to be furthor discussed." If you meant that we (the helpers) would donate any drops to the newbies we are helping ... well, I sorta do that anyway. If it would be required, I'm probably okay with that for the lower-level maps. After all, I don't really need a Frosty Snowbird Wing of Legend anyway! On the other hand, I'd like to keep any Swamps drops that I can get. (As I've written in other threads, I'm not fully pinked-out yet.) But tell me what you meant, and we can discuss it further. :)

My only condition would be that I want to help players who want to fight, but need a little help doing so. I don't want to help leeches. My general rule-of-thumb is that characters should be within five levels of the map we're running. In other words, newbies should be at least lvl 25 before I'll help them in the Swamps. (Based on the idea that the Swamps are meant for lvl 30 characters and above.) If you're not at that level or higher, then you probably won't be able to make any difference against the mobs, and you'd die within a few seconds if you somehow managed to get the mobs' attention. At that point, I'm not helping you; I'm carrying you. The difference is important to me.[/QUOTE]

Maybe to alleviate the porblem there would be of ppl leeching off of you and you 'carry' them throughout the levels without them not really doing much but just following your behind since in the lower levels like fathom crypt and downward its kinda hard for lvl35s be not too much of a help and get them involved because we can kill the mobs in a few hits especailly if two lvl 35s were helpin together to save time so i suggest the following two ideas...

i think the concep of paying it forward was introduced in this thread already but i wanted to elaborate on it.... so lets just say we go into LE, where it would be good for us because the ppl being helped can easily make a difference since lvl 35 cant kill the mobs alone thus needing their assistance, and help a 28-32lvl character and we help them gain experience and items and give them stuff we get that we dont need and give them trash loot that they can liquidate for money (also during the session we can answer questions for them if they have any and also give them tips on all aspects of the game) and at the end of the session they, the ppl being helped, may ask us or themselves what can they do to give back or is there something we want in return because its human instinct to give something back after you have received something... so we tell them (since we prob already have all the pink equipment we want and we are ar 35) that they can instead pay it forward to ppl whos lower lvl than they are and do the same thing that we have done to them then they could experience the euphoria we experience after when we helped them... then maybe the pay it forward can trickle down to fathom crypt to balefort castle, onward and we wont have to worry about being an escort service but rather a helping hand thus charitable services and create a community that doesnt always take but gives back to help the gamer community to progress as a whole....

also another option would be for us volunteers to start a new character and get one of our friends to power lvl it to certain lvls i.e someone can be at 15, other at 20, so on and so forth, then go to the previous lower dungeon accordingly and do the charitable services and we wont feel like we are escorting them since we are not gonna be at a huge advantage against the mobs anymore and we will need their help to get through the levels getting them to participate and not just follow and watch... well this can be time consuming for ppl i can see but im sure we have friends who can help you power lvl your new character and it can bring back old memories and thus bring back those things that got you hooked on PL in the first place... i think im gonna start a new character today actually lol....

what do you guys think and what suggestions do you guys have? can this work or no? and if it can work how can we make it better and run smoother?

Tobikuma
06-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Just don't call it an "Escort Service" or people will get the wrong idea! ;)

My only condition would be that I want to help players who want to fight, but need a little help doing so. I don't want to help leeches. My general rule-of-thumb is that characters should be within five levels of the map we're running. In other words, newbies should be at least lvl 25 before I'll help them in the Swamps. (Based on the idea that the Swamps are meant for lvl 30 characters and above.) If you're not at that level or higher, then you probably won't be able to make any difference against the mobs, and you'd die within a few seconds if you somehow managed to get the mobs' attention. At that point, I'm not helping you; I'm carrying you. The difference is important to me.[/QUOTE]

Maybe to alleviate the porblem there would be of ppl leeching off of you and you 'carry' them throughout the levels without them not really doing much but just following your behind since in the lower levels like fathom crypt and downward its kinda hard for lvl35s be not too much of a help and get them involved because we can kill the mobs in a few hits especailly if two lvl 35s were helpin together to save time so i suggest the following two ideas...

i think the concep of paying it forward was introduced in this thread already but i wanted to elaborate on it.... so lets just say we go into LE, where it would be good for us because the ppl being helped can easily make a difference since lvl 35 cant kill the mobs alone thus needing their assistance, and help a 28-32lvl character and we help them gain experience and items and give them stuff we get that we dont need and give them trash loot that they can liquidate for money (also during the session we can answer questions for them if they have any and also give them tips on all aspects of the game) and at the end of the session they, the ppl being helped, may ask us or themselves what can they do to give back or is there something we want in return because its human instinct to give something back after you have received something... so we tell them (since we prob already have all the pink equipment we want and we are ar 35) that they can instead pay it forward to ppl whos lower lvl than they are and do the same thing that we have done to them then they could experience the euphoria we experience after when we helped them... then maybe the pay it forward can trickle down to fathom crypt to balefort castle, onward and we wont have to worry about being an escort service but rather a helping hand thus charitable services and create a community that doesnt always take but gives back to help the gamer community to progress as a whole....

also another option would be for us volunteers to start a new character and get one of our friends to power lvl it to certain lvls i.e someone can be at 15, other at 20, so on and so forth, then go to the previous lower dungeon accordingly and do the charitable services and we wont feel like we are escorting them since we are not gonna be at a huge advantage against the mobs anymore and we will need their help to get through the levels getting them to participate and not just follow and watch... well this can be time consuming for ppl i can see but im sure we have friends who can help you power lvl your new character and it can bring back old memories and thus bring back those things that got you hooked on PL in the first place... i think im gonna start a new character today actually lol....

what do you guys think and what suggestions do you guys have? can this work or no? and if it can work how can we make it better and run smoother?[/QUOTE]

To make it brief

This is a Forum Action
Most people on the forum actully care about the game to a certian extent are are not the ones spamming/leeching/begging and so on.
They come here becuase they want info, feedback, ask question, report observation, suggest ideas.
I dont feel to much is to worry about as you say, although yes there will be the exception.

Again briefly, people who need help lvling, are not going to be able to help others lvling as they will want thier playtime to furthor thier own character. This is understandable but maybe they will out reach more in thier own way to help others. More to say set an example to follow.

Now as far as everything is going, I had hoped for much more than this comments and/or interest
I am uinsure if I should furthor this anymore.

Furrawn
06-08-2010, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't go for the leveling a character at 15 or 20 to help others. The character would level too high, have to be killed, and another character created- ad infinitum. I never carry a player. If they don't help, I don't help. For me, donating my time, all the loot pertaining to their character through the campaign, answering questions, etc is enough. Too many rules would make helping a chore for me... So we'll probably stay a separate helping entity... Maybe we'll be an alliance helping hand:)

Tobi-
Your charity is wonderful. You'll be helping a lot of people.

I'm in for the lotto though...

SlipperyJim
06-08-2010, 01:20 PM
To make it brief

This is a Forum Action
Most people on the forum actully care about the game to a certian extent are are not the ones spamming/leeching/begging and so on.
They come here becuase they want info, feedback, ask question, report observation, suggest ideas.
I dont feel to much is to worry about as you say, although yes there will be the exception.

Again briefly, people who need help lvling, are not going to be able to help others lvling as they will want thier playtime to furthor thier own character. This is understandable but maybe they will out reach more in thier own way to help others. More to say set an example to follow.

Now as far as everything is going, I had hoped for much more than this comments and/or interest
I am uinsure if I should furthor this anymore.
I still think it's a good idea, and I don't want to get too tied up into rules. Please consider my previous comments about drops and levels to be mere suggestions, not demands. :)

If you want to start a Newbie Helping Service, then I'm in!

smokester
06-08-2010, 01:29 PM
lets just start something and start it quick before the new map comes out (also im getting bored)... im down for whatever i already started a new character lol a dexmage and shes at lvl17 so i can do anything right now... just let me know duc how i can be of service

and i thought it was going to be charity to anybody who wanted some help not just forum ppl thus why i posted my suggestions... if its for lower lvl ppl on forum then yeah what you have drawn up already should work good and we can alway make improvements along the way....

Furrawn
06-09-2010, 04:14 PM
lets just start something and start it quick before the new map comes out (also im getting bored)... im down for whatever i already started a new character lol a dexmage and shes at lvl17 so i can do anything right now... just let me know duc how i can be of service

and i thought it was going to be charity to anybody who wanted some help not just forum ppl thus why i posted my suggestions... if its for lower lvl ppl on forum then yeah what you have drawn up already should work good and we can alway make improvements along the way....

Smoke-
I think you were right... the discussion was for helping all new players not just forum members...