http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/brandonb3/04a9d1d4.jpg
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/brandonb3/80b1d2a7.jpg
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/brandonb3/9fcf201f.jpg

Zaltiar
07-02-2011, 04:33 AM
lol, man some people just dont get it.

NECROREAPER
07-02-2011, 04:51 AM
It really makes me wonder how old these people are or how they are in person.

I usually tell em no thanks and more often than not they leave me alone. If they persist then I belittle them and they quickly stop responding.

JaytB
07-02-2011, 05:20 AM
My mental-ignore function kicks in as soon as somebody starts begging. I used to try and help them by telling them how to make their own gold, but it caused more drama than anything else. So, I just let them beg until they give up really :)

Weak_Sauce
07-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Beggars make me so angry I feel like I'm transforming into the incredible hulk.

PatsoeGamer
07-02-2011, 06:21 AM
LOL

Two words - DISLIKE BEGGING

Action - IGNORE

Wish - Fingers fall off so they cannot type me stupid PM or beg out loud

Lesrider
07-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Auto-ignore.
My favorite is when they act like it's life or death. Like if they don't get some in-game gold, they'd starve in real life.
And they're in such dire need that they'll spend their time in town begging rather than go play for it. Really don't understand why these people even bother playing a game.

Uepauke
07-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Auto-ignore.
My favorite is when they act like it's life or death. Like if they don't get some in-game gold, they'd starve in real life.
And they're in such dire need that they'll spend their time in town begging rather than go play for it. Really don't understand why these people even bother playing a game.

Best/worst begging reason? "Please help me, I'm Japanese and I'm suffering from the earthquake."

Zaltiar
07-02-2011, 07:57 AM
you know what you should do?, enter into a trade with them, put a **** load of money. when they click on confirm. just cancel the trade and go on your merry way :D

Redbridge
07-02-2011, 08:04 AM
One word....... SRINGY!!!!

The one I love best is..... "please can I ask you a question?"

90% of the time it's a beggar, so I love saying, "Yep, sure, anything, as long as ur not gonna beg, it's seriously my pet hate... Fire away...."

LOL funny watching people trying to beg without begging....

joeythewise
07-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Haha yeah some guy said he wanted a little change and turned out he wanted 20k. He ain't get nothing from me. Another guy demanded 100k and i gave him 1 gold lol

Whirlzap
07-02-2011, 08:35 AM
I hope I'm not being too harsh...
One person asks me for 10k, so I purposely put in 100k.
Then he checks box, and I leave.
I want that to go two ways.
One, never beg, things are usually too good to be true.
Two, never wish for more than you ask for.

That is all.

CanonicalKoi
07-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't usually taunt the beggars. I *will* PM them good gold farming areas appropriate for their level. If their response is, "Oh! Thanks." terrific. If it's "That'll take too long" or, my favorite, "I don't have time" (but you have time to stand around in the CS begging for hours at a stretch? *puzzled*), it's "Then I guess you don't want it or need it that badly" and they end up on the ignore list. Lol, guess I belong on the sringy list, too. :)

noobmigo
07-02-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm OK with beggars. I don't give them what they need, but I don't ignore them either. I explain to them firmly that I won't give them anything, and I tell them where to get gold. If a situation escalates, the best thing to do is runnnn..

EDIT: woh, I noticed you all had this green rectangle by your name, but I don't. What's that supposed to be?

EDIT EDIT: It's gone now..

WJJ
07-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Well they must be having some sort of success begging or there wouldn't be so many popping up all the time. If everyone would just stop giving handouts completely I bet we would see a huge decline in the amount of beggars.

Pharcyde
07-02-2011, 02:25 PM
I had another one today, I really wish I coulda screenshotted it >.<. He goes "Hey Mr, could you spare gold for the weak?" "No." "Why not? 20k will do, thats nothin for you. So just give me 20k." *attempted screenshot, but by accidentally left game >.<*.

I mean, seriously!?! Beggars think that just because were rich, that we are going to give them gold whenever they ask. I would go broke in a day if I gave every beggar what they wanted. That "aww come on! It's only 20k!!" Stacks up quite fast.

Lesrider
07-02-2011, 02:34 PM
If everyone put them on their ignore list, there'd be no one to hear them. :)

skavenger216
07-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Lmao... "cause I'm nice, unlike you". Sorry, but pharcyde is one of the nicest people I've met in PL. I usually tell beggars quick ways to make gold when they ask, too bad usually they just continue begging.

One time, a month or so ago, a beggar was in the cs asking "can anyone give me a few k?", so I sent them a pm saying "kkkkkkkk". Sorry, I thought it was funny, lol.

Register
07-02-2011, 02:57 PM
lmao nice unlike you?!?!?!
wth lol does he/she know who you are??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Roasty
07-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Here's my story, I begged a lot while I was still a bit new to PL, mainly because I didn't take the time to save up and sell, and such. You get the idea!

But now I kind of understand why some people ignore beggars. I mean seriously! Some people like work their butt off to get gold and yet a small group people expect them to give a big chunk of gold for free?! Some players just don't make sense...BLEGH!!!

joeythewise
07-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I get beggars everyday. Ive started cleaning up my friend list and blocking the beggars

Fyrce
07-02-2011, 04:05 PM
OMG, IKR?

I tell them to drop their own stuff for free, to go kill stuff, that I don't friend/give gold/lvl beggars, and/or just, "NO." If they persist, yep, ignore button comes in.

As far as I know, they don't give up. They go right to another town/instance and keep begging. I've moved around sometimes and seen the same people still begging.

It's incredibly interesting to me that I tell them to go play the game they're logged into and that they can play the game with absolutely no gold, just some game play (I mean they're logged into a game, right?), and they still just sit about a beg.

Maybe they're really afk???

And I've done the leave-game thing instead of screenshotting. LOL.
And it's not that I don't want to give away stuff. I just don't want to give away stuff to the unworthy. They should at least come up with some entertainment...

Pharcyde
07-02-2011, 04:06 PM
lmao nice unlike you?!?!?!
wth lol does he/she know who you are??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Nope :), nor will they. The person doesn't own a forum account. He doesn't know that he/she/it is posted up in the general discussion :rolleyes:

Register
07-02-2011, 04:54 PM
he/she/it?!?!? lmao i give beggars a hint on how to make HUGE amounts of gold. I tell them that zombies give them FREE GOLD and all you have to do is kill them!

WhoIsThis
07-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Begging has become a serious nuisance in PL, which shouldn't be a surprise. Other MMOs end up like this too.

If everyone ignores the begging, there should be no incentives to beg. Tell the players where they can best make money and that's it.

Ayc2000
07-02-2011, 10:59 PM
I have this reply I keep in the little save thingy: if they ask for gold, just say , go to a treasure chest and ask it for money xD... Those beggars shut up after that...

Valiksuhr
07-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Ok, anyone else being reminded of the homeless episode of South Park???

ZeraJade
07-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Like many others I offer them advice which usually starts with,"go sell your ice ears" followed by ,"mobs drop pots if you have less than 25" and "do your quests, you get gold and equips for FREE"

And when all else fails I hit up my beggar macro:

"Beggars are like bums. You give them some gold and the next thing you know they've got a brew in one hand, a body part in the other, and a hootch on their head."

If I ignore them, it's only for a day before I clean my ignore list. And maybe I do condone begging in some ways. Many times I find a player who's got a lot of quests, a lot of kills, very few deaths, and they are really trying to sell (imo) junk - and I'll check them and give them some better equip they can use.

*shrug* hypocrite

Pharcyde
07-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Ok, anyone else being reminded of the homeless episode of South Park???

*Randy* "I.. I.. just need a little change to take the bus. Please, I just gave all mine away to a homeless person, please? Change... Channngge... Free changee...?"

Anyways, begging actually generates decent cash for low levels.

Back in my runescape days, I had over 102m (back then, that was a lot). But yet I would still trick beg. It was usually 500k a hour, with little effort and focus needed. So yes, to eliminate the problem, we all need to stop giving gold to beggars. But that will never happen. So the next best solution is to ignore beggars, or make a "Run to find a cure" event to sponsor finding a cure for beggars "zombie" like begging.

Lesrider
07-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Seriously, just put them on ignore, no questions asked. Do you really want anything to do with someone like that?

The idea of begging in a game just makes my head want to explode. It makes no sense and anyone who does it is not worth my time, IMO.

davidis57
07-03-2011, 01:52 AM
I treat all beggars the same. I give them nothing.

Pocket Legends Characters Timbabird -55 Oldsillymage -55

xero
07-03-2011, 02:34 AM
Its like that old saying... give em an inch and they'll take a mile or feed a stray dog once and they'll follow you home. My pet peeve is when they beggers pm you as soon as you get to the cs and they don't stop no matter how many times you tell them no or go away or go farm for your own gold... I mean come on... its not like there isn't guides to gold farming for pl all over the web... seems like they're professional beggers... >.<

Valiksuhr
07-03-2011, 04:24 AM
Kind of reminds me of my MUD days. Wasn't uncommon for someone to make a sexy looking female alt to get the solution to a quest or two (note : quests in MUDs were not like in PL but more like "find 4 keys, insert in weird order into 4 statues, move two statues, flip painting, do 'I'm a little teapot song and dance', and pull book off shelf" type quests). A wink, a giggle and a coy smile would get an alt far. IMO, begging here is like that in the sense that you don't get to really know the game ("Who's Swift?") or show the effort to really wanting to. Mind you - getting stuff via gifts is ok if someone wants to give you something out of kindness (like my shivering ice gear I got for free) and you weren't begging for it but standing around wearing plat items begging for gold isn't right IMO. Shoot, I'm poor but mostly b/c if I'm running in a group and get an item some lower level can use, I'll gift it before they can open the trade window, but you don't see my bird at Balefort with a sign saying "Will squak for gold/pinkz/smoochies"

Gaddy
07-03-2011, 04:31 AM
I'm too SRINGY to give gold to beggars...

CanonicalKoi
07-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Had one today that I have to give credit for chutzpah (tho credit is all I gave him/her). Hit FH for pots on my big bird and get a friend's request, followed a nanosecond later by "Can I have 10k plz?". When I gave my usual where-to-find-gold spiel, I got "but I'm your friend!" Lol. "Not yet, you're not. Bye!"

Prest87
07-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Had one today that I have to give credit for chutzpah (tho credit is all I gave him/her). Hit FH for pots on my big bird and get a friend's request, followed a nanosecond later by "Can I have 10k plz?". When I gave my usual where-to-find-gold spiel, I got "but I'm your friend!" Lol. "Not yet, you're not. Bye!"
lol he has yet 2 know about the accept button...

Nightarcher
07-03-2011, 12:18 PM
AN EASY AND FOOLPROOF WAY TO STOP MOST BEGGARS IMMEDIATELY:

Use one of your quick-chat slots and put "/r Sorry, I'm saving up. :)" It's vague yet specific enough to work, and it's helped me a ton. You don't have to type anything, just tap a button, and people respond better to not bing ignored. :cool:

Zaltiar
07-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I got pretty annoyed at this one persistent guy asking for free money in balefort today, couldnt read anything in the chat box cept him.
so i did what anybody would have done. farted in his face. that shut him up pretty good. :) you guys should try it.

Weak_Sauce
07-05-2011, 10:18 AM
This morning a guy asked me for 1k (level 32 I believe) and I told him he could easily make that by playing. He then told me that he had over 150k. I mean, come on... what's 1k going to do?! So frustrating.

Zaltiar
07-05-2011, 10:49 AM
This morning a guy asked me for 1k (level 32 I believe) and I told him he could easily make that by playing. He then told me that he had over 150k. I mean, come on... what's 1k going to do?! So frustrating.

fart in their face bro :|

Otukura
07-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Phar, I'll give you credit -- you always find me on my troll alts.

ZeraJade
07-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Kind of reminds me of my MUD days. Wasn't uncommon for someone to make a sexy looking female alt...

Omg I was mudding before there were graphics!!
*crawls under rock*

WhoIsThis
07-05-2011, 01:24 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9IPB5kGBta4/ThNXsdX2dYI/AAAAAAAAATc/YZtU-1xKlZw/snap20110704_201824.png

Pharcyde
07-05-2011, 01:27 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9IPB5kGBta4/ThNXsdX2dYI/AAAAAAAAATc/YZtU-1xKlZw/snap20110704_201824.png

This makes me want to cry.

ZeraJade
07-05-2011, 01:38 PM
I was told today on my new char if I bought some weapon they would lvl me, cause, you know, cap increase is coming :(

Weak_Sauce
07-05-2011, 02:04 PM

fart in their face bro :|

Sis :) and I've done that too, gotten the entire room to follow the beggar around farting and puking on him. That kept me entertained all day!

WhoIsThis
07-05-2011, 02:30 PM
This makes me want to cry.

A while back, there was a thread on begging. If that one makes you want to cry ... check out what Parth captured:

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z355/rangepwnsmeel/b9f4ead7.jpg

davidis57
07-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Saw a beggar in SL yesterday already.

PL Characters Timbabird-55 Oldsillymage-55 SL Character Oldblaster-10+

WoundedEagle
07-10-2011, 10:46 PM
ROFL Good screenie Pharcyde

Ayc2000
07-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Some one asked me for 10k, and I said I don't give thing so beggars, he said I'm not begging, I ask him what he is doing then, and he says, I'm just asking...so sad to see this

Valiksuhr
07-11-2011, 12:22 AM
Kind of reminds me of my MUD days. Wasn't uncommon for someone to make a sexy looking female alt...

Omg I was mudding before there were graphics!!
*crawls under rock*

That's what I was talking about..in the written description. Using macroed emotes that would print out stuff like "Eva pours water from the fountain all over herself" [note - that's a PG rated version] Yeah..an "old fart here." Oh and elf shot the food.

Pharcyde
07-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Some one asked me for 10k, and I said I don't give thing so beggars, he said I'm not begging, I ask him what he is doing then, and he says, I'm just asking...so sad to see this

I"Z noteh begin! Iteh simple asking yeh!

CanonicalKoi
07-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Gah! Saw one in the CS this morning named Pleasegiveme or something similar. A char made just to beg? And since I'm a 56 I "can give me pinks or gold". Told him since I had a 56, I probably had less gold than he did. :)

thequickone
07-11-2011, 01:34 AM
As you can see by my sig, I'm fairly new to the MMO thing. I stayed away for fear it would begin to consume my life... Turns out I was right! :)

I was surprised right away by the amount of begging in PL! I actually PM'ed one player to knock of the beg-spamming before he/she got themselves banned! Maybe the devs/moderators should ban for excessive begging...

I wonder what makes one player beg and not others. I seem to think it is related to the integrity of the player; they beg in RL, they also do it in-game. I for one could never bring myself to do it! Just wouldn't feel right. Besides, what am I playing the game for if not to play! It's fun to kill stuff and sell your accumulated treasure for your own hard-earned gold (and now credits)!

Someone above (too lazy to quote right now, you know who you are!) mentioned they have occasionally checked around for players with high kill/low death ratios (yay, that's me!) and given them something better than they had. I have been on the receiving end of such generous giving, and feel it greatly increases the togetherness and spirit of the game. Who knows, that generous player may have even been someone on this very forum (you told me you were "f-ing Santa Claus" when I asked why you gave)! If so, thank you!

One neat story: While most beg for the crazy sums you have described here, I ran into one player that was only asking for 600 gold. Without asking why, I gave them the gold. Turns out they wanted to buy a new mage shield (auction, I think). They were very thankful, and did not abuse my generosity (which means they were not a beggar).

There's my two cents. Anyway, great rant, Pharcyde! Try not to let the bad apples spoil it for you. There are still plenty of great players for every bad one. Find me if someone pisses you off. I'm always happy to listen.

Valiksuhr
07-15-2011, 07:46 AM
It has been forseen...on 11-11-2011 the beggar issue will go pandemic. Behold the prophetic warning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlBtlDj-ARE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SknyAndy
07-15-2011, 08:05 AM
It bugs me when people complain about SL when the are only lvl in beta.

Silentarrow
07-15-2011, 09:36 AM
I don't give beggars items ever, but sometimes I like to stop in Forest Haven and give random people 10k :D.

CowboyJim
07-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Yes, I also don't give to beggars but have made it a common practice for a long time to give random pinks away to appropriate level people. Then disappear. It is fun. Someone did that for me way back when I was level 40 trying to get good gear.....was amazing, so I pass it on....

lethalchick
07-15-2011, 10:20 AM
The "but you're a 55!" reply is too common for me. I just reply "yeah, and I got there without begging"

Artemis
07-15-2011, 11:34 AM
OMG WHY IS BRANDON (pharcyde) BANNED?! D:

GongKilluminati
07-15-2011, 02:42 PM
I believe beggars are people under 14.
When I was 12-14 I begged on every RPG game I played. :D
I'm 16 now so I dont' beg anymore.
Beggars will exist in everygame once it gets popular. :(
PL's community used to so nice :(, now there is beggars, and others that ruin the communitu. D: