PDA

View Full Version : Is this bad?

LIGHTNINGLORD67
07-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Is it bad if you don't read books at all except when you're supposed to?

I'm wondering since I asked the same thing on blurtit.com and i got the response that it is bad but I just want to make sure :(

I just don't have enough concentration/relaxation/bliss to start reading. If this is truly very bad then can someone tell me what to do based on the situation? I also can't go to a silent place like a library because I'm not allowed to go

Help is much appreciated, thanks!

DawnInfinity
07-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Like, bad for you..? It's just all a matter of opinion. I don't know why you are worried.

Pharcyde
07-03-2011, 04:26 PM
I get enough reading on the forums, no teacher can make me read anymore than that.

Darkfader
07-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Don't worry, it's propably over 10 years since I have fully readed book. Some ppl like reading and others doesnt. :)

Pharcyde
07-03-2011, 04:29 PM
I'll take a plate of forums, medium rare, with a side of dubstep.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
07-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Like, bad for you..? It's just all a matter of opinion. I don't know why you are worried.

Yea just bad for me. i didnt want to mention this again but im mostly worried because of my future job which requires alot of studying and all those stuff (lawyer) and i suppose reading will help me with that

I don't read, I basically just don't, unless teachers tell me to. I'm wondering if THAT is a bad habit

Also what do you mean by a matter of opinion?

I get enough reading on the forums, no teacher can make me read anymore than that.

Haha I bet you do..

TANKKAAR
07-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I think the most imprtant thing is that you "Can" read..lol... other then that everyone is entitled to there own opinion. Some people read books to relax, others watch TV, while I personally play PL...haha
Don't get me wrong, Reading is great when I fell like it, but I don't always wanna read a book and its also rare that I find a book that really sparks my interest :) when it comes down to it.... who cares what other people think is the appropriate way to spend your "FREE" time! Its free, and that means you can do with it what you want :) HAVE FUN!

xero
07-03-2011, 04:48 PM
@lightninglord67

However, on the opposite end of the spectrum, you have the fact that you NEED to read when you study for the state bar or any exams you might need to prepare for. It all comes down to balancing the nees to read with the want to do something else BESIDES reading. Its like they say :"everything you learn in school can and will be used in everyday life." It DEFINITLY holds true for you lightninglord... if you plan to continue on your chosen career path, its absolutely ESSENTIAL that you develope the drive to want to read. Last thing soneone needs is a lawyer that cant defend his client properly because he refuses to read the laws and interprate them correctly... but you can take what I said as a grain of salt... up to you.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
07-03-2011, 04:50 PM
@lightninglord67

However, on the opposite end of the spectrum, you have the fact that you NEED to read when you study for the state bar or any exams you might need to prepare for. It all comes down to balancing the nees to read with the want to do something else BESIDES reading. Its like they say :"everything you learn in school can and will be used in everyday life." It DEFINITLY holds true for you lightninglord... if you plan to continue on your chosen career path, its absolutely ESSENTIAL that you develope the drive to want to read. Last thing soneone needs is a lawyer that cant defend his client properly because he refuses to read the laws and interprate them correctly... but you can take what I said as a grain of salt... up to you.

Right, but I'm saying, as a lawyer yes I have to read and memorize BY HEART every single law, I am willing to do that, but I am just saying reading in general.

EDIT: Damn now im worried about what u said -.-

Roasty
07-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Reading is fun :D just when you find something you like...ya I bet you've heard that MILLIONS of times |:-/

Lesrider
07-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Don't worry, it's propably over 10 years since I have fully readed book. Some ppl like reading and others doesnt. :)

Unless this was written as a joke, I think it's time you open a book again. *cough*grammar*cough*

KingFu
07-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Books I can remember reading that were by choice: 2:o

jjjjaaaakkkke
07-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Reading posts are fun.. but there's not much drama these days :( I should create some hehehe..

Phoenixking
07-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Eee i like reading books that interest me mostly action books manga and comics dont count since its mostly drawings i do count forums since its mostly words and crazy forums effects poping out at you my faverioute book for reading is chronicles of vladimir tod

LIGHTNINGLORD67
07-03-2011, 09:19 PM
arghh i just wanna know if what im doing so far is bad or not..i think it is :(

DawnInfinity
07-03-2011, 10:16 PM
A lot of people don't read in their leisure. Stop worrying. :| Read books if you think it will help you in your future career as a lawyer, but don't think you'll get by NOT reading at all. As a lawyer, you'll be going through tons of paperwork. As you age and mature, you'll probably appreciate it more.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
07-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Allright I'll take your word for it :). (And yes I do know for a fact that alot of studying/reading will be required as a lawyer, any type)

ZeraJade
07-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Lawyers are lazy that's why they have paralegals to read and do research for them.

Reading for leisure can be anything mentally stimulating. You don't have to sit down with a 3 thousand page novel or anything, but something that makes you think beyond day to day (game) thoughts can't be bad. I want to say it helps your brain retain information and will improve short term memory - but I could just be making it all up.

And yeah, I read a lot. The only thing I've noticed in most (key word most...so don't attack) people that have gone 10+ years without reading is they slowly lose the ability to carry a decent conversation.

Just being able to use the net and forums puts you a step ahead. But dang for real, find a good book for when the aliens take over and the interwebs go down and your waiting to be eaten.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
07-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Lawyers are lazy that's why they have paralegals to read and do research for them.

Reading for leisure can be anything mentally stimulating. You don't have to sit down with a 3 thousand page novel or anything, but something that makes you think beyond day to day (game) thoughts can't be bad. I want to say it helps your brain retain information and will improve short term memory - but I could just be making it all up.

And yeah, I read a lot. The only thing I've noticed in most (key word most...so don't attack) people that have gone 10+ years without reading is they slowly lose the ability to carry a decent conversation.

Just being able to use the net and forums puts you a step ahead. But dang for real, find a good book for when the aliens take over and the interwebs go down and your waiting to be eaten.

Well thats strange because I can carry a decent conversation, and keep it up for a long time, yet i barely read books.

Lesrider
07-03-2011, 11:32 PM

Been watching Falling Skies? ;)

Otukura
07-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Been watching Falling Skies? ;)

I want a shirt that says "I ❤ Les"

Lesrider
07-04-2011, 12:01 AM
I want a shirt that says "I ❤ Les"

Totally getting sigged :p

Otukura
07-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Totally getting sigged :p

Lol

Lesrider
07-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Blah, it's giving me trouble, so will have to wait till tomorrow when I'm more awake.

Rebel
07-04-2011, 01:09 AM
You'll NEED to learn to like reading if you're planning on becoming a lawyer. You're going to be slammed with books in college.

While young, you may not enjoy reading, but as you get older, you'll probably begin to like the peace of mind you get from reading a book. It's just relaxing.

ZeraJade
07-04-2011, 11:02 AM
The only thing I've noticed in most (key word most...so don't attack) people that have gone 10+ years without reading is they slowly lose the ability to carry a decent conversation.

Key word "most"

Les: I am actually watching Falling Skies right now! I had meant to watch it but just picked it up off dvr this morning. Hilariously ironic :)

Lesrider
07-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Key word "most"

Les: I am actually watching Falling Skies right now! I had meant to watch it but just picked it up off dvr this morning. Hilariously ironic :)

Lol I had been saving it up on my DVR as well, and finally caught up yesterday. So when I saw what you wrote, of course it rang a bell ;). Really liking the show (although the aliens look like they came right out of Super 8 -- would be awesome if Spielberg did that on purpose!).

Arterra
07-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I read out of extreme boredom. Since I had little internet last week, I simply read.

I ate up 4 nice 300 page books easily.

Do it help? Idk. But sure was nice andinteresting.
Tbh it all depends on what you actually read.

Zaltiar
07-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Hm, I'm not sure about that. I mean, reading book will definitely help increase vocabulary and whatnot. I used to read heaps back when I was younger, but now I rarely do.
The only times I've touched a book (read extensively) are when I had exams coming up or re-read some of my old favourite books. Personally, reading is a good habit to have, and its gonna help you more when
you need to revise for exams or such as you wont easily get focused. But thats just my opinion

xero
07-05-2011, 08:22 AM
@ Lightninglord

You don't have to take what I said to heart and start freaking out or stressing over it. It might help to get a couple of books with short stories in them and just read a storie or two every day. You could also go to your local library and select some books for your free time when pl is getting to you or when your waiting for the new expansion to finish downloading *hint hint lol :)*

Point is, you don't have to read every time you have a free moment, just some light reading will do wonders (even though it may not be apparent right away). DONT SWEAT IT
;)

CanonicalKoi
07-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Bad? I don't know--millions of people in the past and present have lived full, rich lives without reading, but think of all you'd miss. You can't do *everything*, you can't visit *everywhere*, but you can read about it and get a taste of what a place or a way of life or a time period is or was like. I can't imagine not reading. Without reading, I'd never have learned how to code. Spin yarn. Mess around with Arduino. Take my books away and you might as well shoot me now.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
07-05-2011, 01:24 PM
@ Lightninglord

You don't have to take what I said to heart and start freaking out or stressing over it. It might help to get a couple of books with short stories in them and just read a storie or two every day. You could also go to your local library and select some books for your free time when pl is getting to you or when your waiting for the new expansion to finish downloading *hint hint lol :)*

Point is, you don't have to read every time you have a free moment, just some light reading will do wonders (even though it may not be apparent right away). DONT SWEAT IT
;)

but you can take what I said as a grain of salt... up to you.

This is why I "freaked out" lol

Anyway, it's good to know I don't have to read TOO MUCH each day

Overall, thanks for all the responses, but I want this thread to die now lol, I've seen it too much -.-

But I will take all of your responses into consideration! :)

shmoo
07-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Right, but I'm saying, as a lawyer yes I have to read and memorize BY HEART every single law, I am willing to do that, but I am just saying reading in general.

EDIT: Damn now im worried about what u said -.-

Not every single law. You just need a record or copy of the laws and have a "record keeper" who is good at finding particular laws you would need for your case(s).
You'd still read but not as much as.

Thats probably when you are practicing already, when in law school its a different thing.

Roasty
07-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I love reading...:o