PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Joystick Scaling/Responsiveness & "Reserved Slot" Slots

Ephemeris
07-05-2011, 01:45 AM
My apologies if any of these have been suggested previously, but I've got three more suggestions to throw into the pot. I welcome any and all feedback, so please feel free to critique. :D

First, I'd like to propose two changes to the virtual joystick -- that is, one of two methods for in-game movement available to all players. Up until a couple of weeks ago (when I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1), I had been playing on a phone with a screen that wasn't conducive to leveraging the virtual joystick with much success (as a mage, my joystick-governing finger would often cover the portrait of an in-party player; thus, I had a difficult time telling when heals were required for certain players). The "tap, change camera angle, tap" method has worked fine for me; however, I dislike getting "hung" (i.e., momentarily stuck in one spot) while casting spells in the middle of a large group of enemies -- a drawback to utilizing this method for movement (hopefully other "tap movers" out there understand what I'm talking about -- I don't feel that the virtual joystick, while being used, has the same issue). Now that I have a nice, big screen to play on, though, the virtual joystick has such a large, dedicated spot on my screen that I literally have to move my finger 2" in order to change direction. I find having this much "wiggle room" to be frustrating since, often times, it means that your character doesn't move as you expect it to since such a long finger stroke is required. Likewise, I realize that my issue is probably due largely to the fact that I'm running a PL client intended to be used on a mobile phone with a smaller screen, but -- nonetheless -- it's what I've got. My suggested fix would be to allow players to change the scale of their virtual joysticks so to satisfy their individual needs. If the default size has worked for you to date, leave it as is; if not, however, change it to a smaller (or bigger) radius as necessary. My second suggestion (still virtual joystick related) would be to improve the response time of the initial movement toggle (if that makes sense). In my experience -- if stationary -- my character will remain still for a perceivable amount of time after I have already pushed my virtual joystick to the edge of the virtual joystick's radius. Maybe it's lag or something that I'm doing wrong, but it certainly seems like the in-game feel for the virtual joystick could be improved. If I begin to push the virtual joystick up -- even if I'm not at the edge of the virtual joystick's radius -- I would like to see my character move with this action, too.

Second (or third, really), I'd like to propose that players have "reserved slots" (or something equivalent) so to be able to quickly sort loot from load out gear and/or otherwise special items. As a very basic example, I'm using Plasma Pyramid +8 gear for dual-spec boosters today. If I happen to run Plasma Pyramid (for quick cash or to help someone out), I often find it annoying to try and sift through my load out gear as compared to "everything else" that I looted -- quick liquidation is suddenly met with checks and double-checks. If I could put my load out gear (and/or items of significance) in a special/separate area in my inventory, this problem would go away. Again, maybe I've missed the boat on a quick way to resolve this one; if so, please let me know. :)

Kind Regards,
-E

Pharcyde
07-05-2011, 01:49 AM
Hmm... Maybe this should be posted into the bugs and technical section. On a Iphone, the joystick is very smooth, instant movement, and doesn't cover any player names. This should be fixed, because the layout on your galaxy wasn't intended by the developers to lag or cover up any player names.

Edit: I also agree on your seperate or reserved spots suggestion. It's been suggested many times before, to no avail.

Ephemeris
07-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback -- good information. I've never played PL on an iPhone or iPad, so I've never had any other point of reference for comparison. It's good to know that this isn't an issue affecting all players. BTW, just to be clear, I have plenty of space between my joystick and player names on the Galaxy (this was only an issue on two of my old Android-based phones with "phone-sized" screens); it's just the lag (and physical finger movement requirements) that get me on the Galaxy. It's not unbearable, but it could (and, by the sounds of it, should) be better.

Regarding the "reserved slots" portion: I figured that there was no way that I was the first person to throw this one out there, but I just started playing in February and honestly haven't been an avid forum frequenter until recently (hitting 56 afforded me this luxury :)). I tried doing some searches on load outs, but I didn't see anything specific to this particular topic. That said, it's good (well, sort of...) to hear that other players are experiencing the same issues on this front. If making a separate inventory section is too difficult, perhaps something as simple as adding a "lock from sale" feature (on a user-definable, per-item basis) would suffice.

Pharcyde
07-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Pocket Legends is still fairly new to the Galaxy, and it's not as big of a market over there. So response time might be a little slower from the devs.

One solution would be to add a custom inventory folder. You can drag any items you want into it to be stored. That way you don't gotta fumble around with them nonstop. Also, items are kinda sloppy. It's based on level, type, and how good it is. So theres just random clutters of pink items at times.

Ephemeris
07-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Agreed man - better arrangement of items (maybe customizable) in inventory would definitely help as well. That was another topic that I meant to include here, but I forgot (until you suggested this). Thanks, again! :)

Pharcyde
07-05-2011, 02:37 AM
Agreed man - better arrangement of items (maybe customizable) in inventory would definitely help as well. That was another topic that I meant to include here, but I forgot (until you suggested this). Thanks, again! :)

No problem :). Hope it eventually gets implemented.