View Full Version : Nubby dextress questions

Helin0x
07-05-2011, 05:41 AM
Hi,

Firstly I'm hoping I've got the terminology right, lowbie dextress = enchantress with 11 points in int for the mana regen, then the rest in dex, wielding a bow?

I'm lvl 30 and was hoping to ask a few questions if thats OK?

Basically, with BoM as an int mage, do your spells (icestorm, firestorm, etc) crit too or is it only the auto attack? Even with them maxxed spamming the combo, still takes me a few rotations to take mobs down, however when I do, I take all of them down at the same time. This causes another problem, firestorm at max level has a huge radius, unless (and I'm low level so I guess this will improve the higher I go) I have a good bear to collect them up, I usually end up agro'ing the whole room and having to hit mana shield, watching my whole mana bar dissapear closely followed by my whole health bar.

I'm guessing there isnt a 1h bow so you cant have a shield, does the armor value from wand + shield + cloth equate to more than the armor from bow + leather, is the difference noticable or much of a muchness unless you have plate armor & str?

I'm quite new to this, but have seen yanis's guide to gear in the trade sections, How do I determine which is the best Bow say at level 30, besides going to AH and checking out the most expencive. Also is it worth me spending 50K on a bow (which no way I can afford) over a 10K bow just to get 1 extra armor or somthing? (looking only at pinks) Are these only for people twinking at 30 with xp turned off? Are the main stats I need as I'm going to be auto attacking, the highest base damage with some m/s regen as I'm a enchantress?

How does dextress compare to a dex birdy? (I've only played an enchantress and dont know birdy skills)
How does the damage of pure int compare to the dmg of dextress?

I've been saving to buy gear and unfortunately cant afford a set of int gear (Brain freeze?) and a one of dex (Suggestions please), so hoping your answers will help me choose which to stick at for the forseable future.

Appreicate your help and suggestions!

Tamino
07-05-2011, 06:08 AM
Hi!

Unfortunately I am not experienced in DEX mages (sometimes called Dexchantress); I have a bird (DEX), a mage (INT), and a dual bear (STR/DEX). I'll try to answer to your questions, anyway.

Your crit will raise as log as you level up, not only because of stat points, but also because of gears; top level DEX gears add up to 40 crit to your base. Crit do not applly to main weapon only, but to skills too; I always prefer a weapon with less base damage but bigger crit.

The 1H weapons of choice for DEX are the talons, paired with wings. They do less damage (and less skill damage) and less ranged but you add secondary stats from two sources (weapon and shield) instead of one; this usually allows more dodge and/or crit.

It is usually difficult to be dual-spec at 30-35 (I did it at 50), because low level gears to be used as spec booster are expensive. I suggest you to concentrate on one set only, you can evolve to dual spec later.

At level 30 best DEX gears are the Shivering (Leather, Bow or Talon/Wing), paired with a Sniper's Penguin Snowcap. They are expensive, but you can use them profitably unlil you peak 40 (some lev 35 items are slightly better, but much more expensive).

It was shown (but I cannot found the thread now) that DEX/INT ratio for mage has little impact on skill damage providing you wear good equipment too. I suggest you to pump enough DEX to wear the DEX pink gears for your level, but I leave others (more expert) the task of suggesting how use the rest (INT for mana regen? DEX for Hit%?)

Mr.Wallace
07-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Hi!

First some Links: Very good thread about Dexchantress vs. Pure Int (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?27589-Dexmage-versus-Intmage-Pure-Int-A-Factual-Guide) and my experiments with mage builds and cyber gear (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?27962-How-to-spec-your-mage).

When I leveled a dex mage from 30 on I wore a Shivering Talon set from 30 to 40. I tried Swamp Rat gear, Gun and other level 35 gear, still kept Shivering. I had some pink 41 gear in my stash, so I changed to AO2 leather and scarab at that level. So Shivering gear should be worth the investment, you can wear it a while.
I don't know if it's the same with Brain-Freeze though.

As Tamino said, I wouldn't bother with dual spec until 50 and concentrate on either Dex or Int until 50.

Helin0x
07-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys for getting back to me

Im planning on just one or the other, couldnt afford the gear to do both (can only just afford to do one I reckon) as this is my first time round.

That guide suggests its much of a muchness, I was kind of expecting the dps of auto attack to be much higher (it is, but not alot) on the bow than the staff, concidering that (What I thought anyway) you're going to only hit a single target and work on debuff to armor skills to increase single target dps more instead of magic aoes, but what that suggests is that you play as a normal mage, basically working out which is higher base dmg (int) or crit (dex) and int clinches it, buts its close..

Your spreadsheet (thought I'd seen your name before ;] ) seems to lead me back towards being full int with brain freeze, so long as I get a wand and shield. The armor is higher, heal is higher and if its not about auto attack and still about spells then those are higher too.

All this leads to the next question, what do you get spells wise on a birdy to make it worth playing over an enchantress, if the dmg from a mage on one target is the same as the dmg on one target from a birdy, only the mage can aoe 10 mobs for the same and therefore do 10x the dps... why would you play a birdy?

Still cant make my mind up what to do!!

Arterra
07-05-2011, 10:06 AM
First of all, it is completely possible to dual spec at 30. Did so wwith a war bird. However, not sure if it allows for a 2h. Best dual spec starting point is around lv45 since you can use old lv30 gear.

Anyway, why ever to use bird? A few reasons.
They can survive better with their evasion skill,and with a larger health pool.
Since they get their skill damage from dex, they get the best skill power and weapon power.
With multiple birds in the party, break armor can stack on a single target,while nightmare can't. Birds also can debuff armor with shattering scream, leading to moredamage by the entire party.

friedkimchi
07-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Mages: ALOT of aoe damage + OK single enemy damage.
Archers: ALOT of single enemy damage + OK aoe damage.
Bears: OK aoe damage + OK aoe damage.

Recommend going full INT all the way. Getting equips with the name 'Albert' allows good damage and is very cheap. Save money for end game gear.

The only reason mages become dexchantress is to take advantage of the insane critical so their spells do ALOT of damage.
But they are very easily killed. Will take time getting used to spamming pots.
Dex gear have low m/s regen rates too. (Lvl 55 sewer king set not included) More pot usage.

So if you don't have money to spare, go pure INT.

Singleteddy
07-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Inspired by Arterra, I have a dexchantress I've been playing a lot recently, so I'll chime in (just DEX, not dual).
Firstly I'm hoping I've got the terminology right, lowbie dextress = enchantress with 11 points in int for the mana regen, then the rest in dex, wielding a bow? Although they're not shown, the game does track fractions. So, you don't need to put eleven points in INT just to be able to see the extra mana regen. That said, I put enough into DEX to equip DEX gear and put the rest into INT. You are putting too much into DEX and not enough into INT, which is why you need several rotations to kill mobs.
Basically, with BoM as an int mage, do your spells (icestorm, firestorm, etc) crit too or is it only the auto attack? Yes
Even with them maxxed spamming the combo, still takes me a few rotations to take mobs down, however when I do, I take all of them down at the same time. I think this is because you don't have enough in INT.

In my experience, with a good bow, Blessing of Might + Ice Storm + Lightning + Firestorm is sometimes enough to take out mobs in a single rotation. Other times, it will leave the mobs with a sliver of health, and then I can one-shot the stragglers with the bow.

With the bow, Blessing of Might + Nightmare + Ice Storm + Lightning + Firestorm is usually enough to take out mobs in a single rotation. Although very effective, this rotation does take time, so you can't rush into too large a group of mobs. Otherwise, they can kill you before you finish.

With a talon, skill damage is much, much less, and I can't come close to taking out mobs in a rotation. It does give you much, much more armor and can be very effective at higher when wading into large mobs or when you are in an undermanned party. However, I did not find talons effective in the Swamps because the mobs there have too much armor.

Choice of weapons can have a big effect on skill damage, so definitely try equipping different weaposn and checking out their effect on your skills.

I'm guessing there isnt a 1h bow so you cant have a shield, does the armor value from wand + shield + cloth equate to more than the armor from bow + leather, is the difference noticable or much of a muchness unless you have plate armor & str? DEX gear has the least armor. It is noticeable, and you have to adjust your playing style accordingly.
I'm quite new to this, but have seen yanis's guide to gear in the trade sections, How do I determine which is the best Bow say at level 30, besides going to AH and checking out the most expencive. Much of the Frozen Nightmares gears is excellent, and I agree with Mr. Wallace that the pinks are arguably better than the Skeller and Swamps pinks, so the gear will last you a long time. If you're on a budget, the purples are an extremely good deal—much, much cheaper than the pinks with same or higher damage (but of course less regen so you'll be going through pots if you go this route). The best gear at level 30 is the Frozen Nightmares gear. If you're buying purples, watch out to be sure you're buying Frozen Nightmares purples and not Lost Expedition purples, which are sometimes the same price but much weaker.
How does dextress compare to a dex birdy? (I've only played an enchantress and dont know birdy skills)
How does the damage of pure int compare to the dmg of dextress? They play differently. Worry more about what style you enjoy playing more than the damage.

Arterra
07-05-2011, 02:57 PM
The only reason mages become dexchantress is to take advantage of the insane critical so their spells do ALOT of damage.
But they are very easily killed. Will take time getting used to spamming pots.
Dex gear have low m/s regen rates too.

Yep... I took my leave of being a dexchantress for now since I wanted to sell off raid before new area and market crash. I also found it hard to get accustomed to getting mauled so easily. You really do NEED to keep with the group in order to stay afloat,and use pots since heal and drain life wont cover it.
Until you learn how to go back and forth properly with a dexmage, you will die. A dexmage seems to work and survive best at medium range,falling back to long-range when all the aggro is on you afterwards rotation of skills or two (since mobs are chasing you, team can safelyfinish them off)

Ill try posting my old dexchantress thread here

Arterra
07-05-2011, 03:18 PM
ps: apparently my thread no longer exists... if you can find it, something like "int dex ratio", this thread will thank you lol

WhoIsThis
07-05-2011, 06:38 PM
ps: apparently my thread no longer exists... if you can find it, something like "int dex ratio", this thread will thank you lol

Looks like it might have been wiped out when the forums got rolled back.

Helin0x
07-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Just thought I'd say thanks to everyone for all the advice. Decided to have an easy life and stay as full int and try get a wand+shield.

One last question, in relation to the frozen nightmare over expedition items: Dreamers (30) and Brain Freeze (30) gear is roughly the same price, but dreamers has MUCH less armor, is this what you were refering to by weaker, also is there a set bonus for dreamers to compensate (basically why do they seem to be the same price?) Also Yanis's guide (unless I'm mistaken) only lists the weapons and some armor for them, eg I can't see some dreamers items that I can see in the game, am I being stupid and not looking in the right place? There doesnt appear to be a brain freeze helm that I can see, do you have any suggestions for a replacement (dreamers?)

Also do the rings from the plat shop only unlock for the next 10 levels once you've hit them or is 20 the highest lvl ring?

And finally... I'm possibly being blind, but I couldnt see a zone with recommended lvl range from 40-50, where should I be grinding then?

Again thanks for the help with my nubby questions!

Tamino
07-06-2011, 07:36 AM
One last question, in relation to the frozen nightmare over expedition items: Dreamers (30) and Brain Freeze (30) gear is roughly the same price, but dreamers has MUCH less armor, is this what you were refering to by weaker, also is there a set bonus for dreamers to compensate (basically why do they seem to be the same price?) Also Yanis's guide (unless I'm mistaken) only lists the weapons and some armor for them, eg I can't see some dreamers items that I can see in the game, am I being stupid and not looking in the right place? There doesnt appear to be a brain freeze helm that I can see, do you have any suggestions for a replacement (dreamers?)

Also do the rings from the plat shop only unlock for the next 10 levels once you've hit them or is 20 the highest lvl ring?

And finally... I'm possibly being blind, but I couldnt see a zone with recommended lvl range from 40-50, where should I be grinding then?

A lot of questions, I'm happy to answer!

Brain-Freeze items are better than Dreamer's, the latter drop in Lost Expedition maps, the first in Frozen Nightmare (elite, payed) maps. It could be a coincidence if they are quoted the same, usually Brain-Freeze are more expensive.
There is no bonus for these sets, so they aren't actually "sets" but more a similar gears group
Unfortunately there is no Brain-Freeze hat, use the Dreamer's instead (as you suggested yet)
In my memory there is no level 30 discontinued item, so if you do not find a specific weapons in Consignment Shop it is due to current availability and drops. Double check prices ! When only 1-2 items are offered, often the prices are overrated !
Atm, only lev 10 and lev 20 rings are available. It could change in the future.
Alien Oasis town serves three areas: AO1, AO3 and AO3, respectively for levels 35-40, 40-45 and 45-50.

Have a good time!

wvhills
07-06-2011, 08:29 AM
A lot of questions, I'm happy to answer!

Brain-Freeze items are better than Dreamer's, the latter drop in Lost Expedition maps, the first in Frozen Nightmare (elite, payed) maps. It could be a coincidence if they are quoted the same, usually Brain-Freeze are more expensive.
There is no bonus for these sets, so they aren't actually "sets" but more a similar gears group
Unfortunately there is no Brain-Freeze hat, use the Dreamer's instead (as you suggested yet)
In my memory there is no level 30 discontinued item, so if you do not find a specific weapons in Consignment Shop it is due to current availability and drops. Double check prices ! When only 1-2 items are offered, often the prices are overrated !
Atm, only lev 10 and lev 20 rings are available. It could change in the future.
Alien Oasis town serves three areas: AO1, AO3 and AO3, respectively for levels 35-40, 40-45 and 45-50.

Have a good time!

Tamino is right!!!! When it comes to grinding I would recommend staying in the swamps until you are level 38 and can't gain anymore xp there. I recommend this because the swamp drops are a lot more expensive than anything you'll find in AO1 or 2. I advise to farm swamps and sell your drops to make some gold.

Arterra
07-06-2011, 08:38 AM
ps if your party does not have 1-2 birds in it, prepare for annoying crocs lol. ao1 leaves room for error since is remarkably easier.

WhoIsThis
07-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Just thought I'd say thanks to everyone for all the advice. Decided to have an easy life and stay as full int and try get a wand+shield.

That's probably the best decision. I actually switched over to dex mage from 30 to 50 on my mage. Looking back, I think that int is probably the best choice. Once you reach 50, you can consider your options: pally, dex, or pure int. You'll find that the difficulty level increases once you hit AO3 and you're up against masses of aliens.

Zeubermensch
07-29-2011, 04:07 PM
I only read your main post, nothing more.. But i have been using a shield and talon. The DPS is little less, but you get higher armor. I think It makes a night and day difference when raiding. Personally, I've gotten quite good with my Dextress. She's a beast with damage and AoE attacks. And yes, you can Crit with any attack that does damage, not just your weapon. :)