PDA

View Full Version : STS & a Future Prospect Idea

Orcish
07-11-2011, 09:35 PM
There has been much controversy over the beta release of Star Legends and that got me thinking...

Players everywhere are upset they can't play the new beta trial of Star Legends, so why not have a permanent multi-beta test server for all STS titles? With so many eager players out there chomping at the bit, to tryout new content, why not utilize these very same people to strictly test new material, and submit in-depth bug reports? Within this test server would include, more specific bug report options, that would allow the developers to pin point more accurately the cause for an issue. I can only imagine with all the new content coming out for the variety games being released by STS, that this could potentially effect the business flow, design, and function, of current and future game titles. STS could go from 25 employees to several thousand players troubleshooting software bugs and submitting reports.

I'm not sure how this would affect iOS users, it could potentially eliminate them from using the permanent beta test server indefinitely, or would Apple consider this as a full program, due to the fact that it's soul purpose is to test new software?

While there has been more positive vs. negative feedback from the public about the beta release, this could be an idea that would become a win-win for everyone. I have many more ideas concerening this topic, but for now I believe this is sufficient to start a complex discussion.

Your thoughts??

Arterra
07-11-2011, 09:46 PM
well sts stated that they simply wanted to limit the number of people to "ensure that the majority gets the best quality game possible"

frankly early access is worth more to gamers, as long as they know what they are getting into. maybe not posting it on the market, since a random downloader might simply look at it, not know it is beta, and quit with a bad review. but posting the apk on the forum could ensure that those interested and informed on STS would have acces to it, and not affect their possible player/income sources.

im just upset that they, yet again, resorted to outside sources to advertise the game thru key competitions. yes, it is a method to get the game out, advertised, and still keep it "small" but it leaves out loyal customers/players that will not be discouraged by their "dirty" beta...

Orcish
07-12-2011, 09:39 AM
I agree with your view point Arterra, good idea.

Register
07-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Apple has made it clear that they wnt have betas so yes that would eliminate ios users from beta. i like how STS had the beta for star legends. Even tho i couldnt be in it, i liked how it was handled. and if sts were to make another game and host another beta, they should do the same thing. Have it very limited but so that its not the same people every time. Who wants to stuck ALL the time even when they are so close to being able to be in the beta. Like android users with spring or something. Yes they could get a key tho.

KhaosAngel
07-14-2011, 11:57 AM
And how many beta testers really know what to look for? How many of them are 8 years old? The problem with open beta slots is that when the game actually releases to the rest of us- we find all the bugs! Not to mention the suggestions given represent 25 players out of thousands

WoundedEagle
07-14-2011, 09:16 PM
And how many beta testers really know what to look for? How many of them are 8 years old? The problem with open beta slots is that when the game actually releases to the rest of us- we find all the bugs! Not to mention the suggestions given represent 25 players out of thousands There are not many players in Star Legends Currently. And i have played Pocket Legends and only met one 8 year old, I know everyone.... There are many good people on the beta test now, the few there is. And if i speak for myself, i speak for every beta tester when i say we know what to look for. Beta is over in approximately 5 days from tonight.... You aren't missing anything but low chat and first-come first-serve on names. That is about it. Check my signature for beta video i made if you want SL that much. The time will come i assure you. :)

KhaosAngel
07-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Nice! Character upgrade right at start plus choice of male/fem-nice starting video!

Samhayne
07-15-2011, 10:04 AM
A test server is a nice idea.

However, one of the objectives to a limited beta is just that, it's limited in who we can get in. We don't want to take a beta product and put it in front of everyone who wants to play it, because it's not ready yet for that prime time spotlight. We want the opportunity to polish the product first. So, given that objective, we'll always have people who want to play the beta of a game and cannot.

Additionally, if this were a PC game, we could do it. But, since we're distributing mobile applications and must do that through third party App Stores that have submission processes, it won't really work out.

Thanks though, Orcish, we'd love to make everyone happy if we could :)