PDA

View Full Version : Duel spec-ing will be impossible in SL?

Silentarrow
07-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I know the need is reduced since we don't have any possibility of dual-spec-ing :-(

Will duel spec-ing really be impossible for SL? Or do you think that you will be able to do it once the level cap increases?

Ellyidol
07-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Since there seem to be no stat requirements for the gear and they are class specific, nope, no room for dual spec-ing.

Hard to imagine dual spec-ing all three classes still being ranged though :p

Not really worried, there's way more equipment slots so there should be more room for customization :)

Derajdefyre
07-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Star Legends is a different game. You can't approach it expecting things to work like Pocket Legends. Dual speccing wasn't really a feature of Pocket Legends anyways, it's just something players did on their own. It's like denying in DOTA. It was never an intended game mechanic, but someone figured out you can do it and it became a common practice.

When you go into Star Legends, don't try to apply Pocket Legends logic. Go into it with an open mind and discover the new environment.

Physiologic
07-13-2011, 10:50 AM
You can dual spec stats, not dual spec equips.

Hankomachos
07-13-2011, 11:42 AM
I think dual specing is ridiculous IMHO. It makes your skills awful and it breaks the game. With 139 dex and 140 str youre better off doing ancient swamps. :rolleyes:

Gaddy
07-13-2011, 01:29 PM
I think dual specing is ridiculous IMHO. It makes your skills awful and it breaks the game. With 139 dex and 140 str youre better off doing ancient swamps. :rolleyes:there are swamps in SL? KEWL! WHERE?

Otukura
07-13-2011, 01:30 PM
there are swamps in SL? KEWL! WHERE?

Nope, closest thing is D7, which imo is better.

Hankomachos
07-13-2011, 05:18 PM
I think dual specing is ridiculous IMHO. It makes your skills awful and it breaks the game. With 139 dex and 140 str youre better off doing ancient swamps. :rolleyes:there are swamps in SL? KEWL! WHERE?

Not sure, haven't played sl since I don't have a vcast phone. :/
I was referring to the swamps in pocket legends.

Silentarrow
07-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Since there seem to be no stat requirements for the gear and they are class specific, nope, no room for dual spec-ing.

Hard to imagine dual spec-ing all three classes still being ranged though :p

Not really worried, there's way more equipment slots so there should be more room for customization :)

Oh, I never knew that their wasn't a stat requirement. As for the ranged weapons, I'm still hoping they add some melee weapons in future updates!

Gaddy
07-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Not sure, haven't played sl since I don't have a vcast phone. :/
I was referring to the swamps in pocket legends.ok, just so I understand that you're talking about something you know nothing about. Your post makes "sense" now. Thanks for clarifying!

Whirlzap
07-13-2011, 07:20 PM
For gods sake, do NOT mention dual specing in SL ever!
This was what pretty much broke PvP for PL already, SL is a fresh game, dont comtaminate it

Register
07-13-2011, 07:31 PM
For gods sake, do NOT mention dual specing in SL ever!
This was what pretty much broke PvP for PL already, SL is a fresh game, dont comtaminate it

ROLF!

If there are no stat requirements, cant somebody get gear obtained in a higher level zone transfer it over to a level 2 and use it to dominate?

Otukura
07-13-2011, 07:34 PM
ROLF!

If there are no stat requirements, cant somebody get gear obtained in a higher level zone transfer it over to a level 2 and use it to dominate?

No. There are level requirements and class requirements. No stat requirements. They're separate things.

Faust
07-13-2011, 11:57 PM
There is no telling for sure. The game is still in beta, so they might have changes planned for some things. I have seen some people with mixed stats. There was one particular operative that had everything equal. Not sure how that would work, but people are willing to try things out. I know a commando with equal dex/str and a cannon (their unique weapon that does splash damage to nearby enemies) can easily wipe out groups. The dex helps prevent the frequent misses, and more than makes up for the damage.

Phoenixking
07-14-2011, 12:03 AM
I dont like dual speccing but i like making hybrids spices it up different gameplay like tank and healer makes up a paladin style (thats why str mage are called pallys or paladin) or a dagger bear or talon bear and its really interesting

Blind
07-14-2011, 03:27 AM
Everybody who says dual spec-ing sucks is a noob mage or bird who know nothing about tanks in pl.

JaytB
07-14-2011, 05:54 AM
I think dual specing is ridiculous IMHO. It makes your skills awful and it breaks the game. With 139 dex and 140 str youre better off doing ancient swamps. :rolleyes:

Please explain me how dual speccing a tank is ridiculous. You'd rather go pure str? Now THAT sounds ridiculous to me. This is why I think it's better:

1. Pure str will give you a very low hit%. making many of your spells miss.
2. Dual spec allow you to equip str gear when you need tanking. Your skill dmg compared to pure str is almost the same, BUT your skill hit% is way better and your auto attack does more dmg, due to the points in dex. All this while keeping your pure tanking abilities roughly the same as with full str.
3. You can wear dex gear when killing a boss, farming in a strong group or going solo. Skill dmg and crit makes your tank help kill a boss/mobs way quicker as compared to any type of str bear. Ow yes, and you get ranged attacks on top of that too.

These are the main reasons I think a dual spec bear is better than a pure str build. I'd love to hear your arguments against it :)

Blind
07-14-2011, 06:03 AM
I'd love to hear your arguments against it :)
For real.

Silentarrow
07-14-2011, 07:28 AM
Please! No flaming! :D

Raulur
07-14-2011, 12:34 PM
I haven't tried commando yet, but for engie it seems you are better off sticking with int and operative dex. You CAN mix up your stats, but at this time it does not seem to benefit much.

JaytB
07-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Please! No flaming! :D

Nobody is flaming here I think, I'm sure I wasn't :)

I genuinely want to hear his response, you never know if you can learn anything or not :)

Hankomachos
07-14-2011, 01:00 PM

Please explain me how dual speccing a tank is ridiculous. You'd rather go pure str? Now THAT sounds ridiculous to me. This is why I think it's better:

1. Pure str will give you a very low hit%. making many of your spells miss.
2. Dual spec allow you to equip str gear when you need tanking. Your skill dmg compared to pure str is almost the same, BUT your skill hit% is way better and your auto attack does more dmg, due to the points in dex. All this while keeping your pure tanking abilities roughly the same as with full str.
3. You can wear dex gear when killing a boss, farming in a strong group or going solo. Skill dmg and crit makes your tank help kill a boss/mobs way quicker as compared to any type of str bear. Ow yes, and you get ranged attacks on top of that too.

These are the main reasons I think a dual spec bear is better than a pure str build. I'd love to hear your arguments against it :)

OK (: all I can say is my level 55 bear is 173 str and 106 dex. He has 88% hit which is an almost guaranteed hit. Although he wears a certain menagerie of gear that helps with his hit% and armor/ health regeneration.
Did I mention skills yet?
A full int mage is much more powerful than a dual spec mage skill wise.
But, everybody has their preference. If someone likes to dual spec then so be it. :)
I was just stating my opinion. I'm not trying to flame.
Forgot to mention: a full dex archer is waaaaaaay more powerful than a dual spec archer. But dual spec archers (str/dex) have more survivability I guess. :/

Derajdefyre
07-14-2011, 01:23 PM
I heard a rumor that this is the Star Legends message board. Can anyone confirm?

Gaddy
07-14-2011, 03:40 PM
I heard a rumor that this is the Star Legends message board. Can anyone confirm?apparently it's not...

Zerious
07-14-2011, 03:44 PM
i recall hearing about the level cap increasing as the game is released/ goes live. I think we may wanna try to hold off on conclusions until then. I, for one, think it may be beneficial to dual spec certain class builds. (yes I'm thinking pvp but that's my LIFE in STS)

Physiologic
07-14-2011, 03:47 PM
I don't understand where these arguments are coming from. Single spec, dual spec, and triple spec all exist in both Pocket Legends and Star Legends. It matters more in Pocket Legends because a dual spec'd character has more versatility in terms of build because they are able to equip weapons/armors normally suited for other classes. Does it make or break classes in Star Legends? No, because they are completely two different games.

In Star Legends, we are a bit more limited to the equips we can wear because equips are mainly categorized as "universal" or "class-only" so dual or triple specing characters will not be as impactful to any particular build (unless of course the devs decide to introduce stat requirements like in PL). Plus, stats work completely differently in SL. You receive health and mana (at different rates) increases regardless of what stat you increase and regardless of what class you're in.

Example:

Naked Operative:
Lv 21 Operative, 1 STR, 105 DEX, 3 INT (single spec DEX)
Hit% 74, Crit 3, Dodge 2, Health 161, Mana 161, Damage 14-15, DPS 18, Armor 2 = net stat loss 0
Lv 21 Operative, 51 STR, 55 DEX, 3 INT (dual spec STR/DEX)
Hit% 73, Crit 3, Dodge 2, Health 166, Mana 143, Damage 12-13, DPS 15, Armor 3
-> Compared to single spec DEX: -1 Hit%, +5 Health, -18 Mana, -2 Damage, -3 DPS, +1 Armor = net stat loss -13
Lv 21 Operative, 1 STR, 55 DEX, 53 INT (dual spec DEX/INT)
Hit% 75, Crit 3, Dodge 2, Health 149, Mana 166, Damage 13-14, DPS 17, Armor 2
-> Compared to single spec DEX: +1 Hit%, -12 Health, +5 Mana, -1 Damage, -1 DPS = net stat loss -8

So for Operatives, full DEX > dual spec DEX/INT > dual spec STR/DEX in terms of total stats. But +/- 1 Hit%, the difference of 2 damage, and some Health or Mana is NOT significant enough to say that single spec DEX or dual spec STR/DEX or dual spec DEX/INT is superior to one another. In fact, they're nearly equivalent. Even skill damages will be roughly equivalent due to the damage:skill damage ratio per stat point in Star Legends (in Pocket Legends, skill damage was primarily based off of your class and damage, and damage was primarily increased by DEX).

I hope this is a bit more clearer to everyone. Conclusion: In Star Legends, how you spec your character will barely affect your build.

edit:

Gallotech-equipped Operative with lv 21 weapon:
Lv 21 Operative (DEX)
Hit% 81 Crit 8 Dodge 3 Health 186 Mana 199 Damage 37-64 DPS 63 Armor 180
Lv 21 Operative (STR/DEX)
Hit% 80 Crit 7 Dodge 2 Health 192 Mana 181 Damage 34-61 DPS 60 Armor 181
--> Compared to single spec DEX: -1 Hit% -1 Crit -1 Dodge +16 Health -18 Mana -3 Damage -3 DPS +1 Armor = net stat loss -10
Lv 21 Operative (DEX/INT)
Hit% 82 Crit 7 Dodge 2 Health 174 Mana 204 Damage 35-62 DPS 61 Armor 180
--> Compared to single spec DEX: +1 Hit% -1 Crit -1 Dodge -12 Health +5 Mana -2 Damage -2 DPS = net stat loss -12

JaytB
07-14-2011, 06:13 PM
I don't understand where these arguments are coming from. Single spec, dual spec, and triple spec all exist in both Pocket Legends and Star Legends. It matters more in Pocket Legends because a dual spec'd character has more versatility in terms of build because they are able to equip weapons/armors normally suited for other classes. Does it make or break classes in Star Legends? No, because they are completely two different games.

In Star Legends, we are a bit more limited to the equips we can wear because equips are mainly categorized as "universal" or "class-only" so dual or triple specing characters will not be as impactful to any particular build (unless of course the devs decide to introduce stat requirements like in PL). Plus, stats work completely differently in SL. You receive health and mana (at different rates) increases regardless of what stat you increase and regardless of what class you're in.

Example:

Naked Operative:
Lv 21 Operative, 1 STR, 105 DEX, 3 INT (single spec DEX)
Hit% 74, Crit 3, Dodge 2, Health 161, Mana 161, Damage 14-15, DPS 18, Armor 2 = net stat loss 0
Lv 21 Operative, 51 STR, 55 DEX, 3 INT (dual spec STR/DEX)
Hit% 73, Crit 3, Dodge 2, Health 166, Mana 143, Damage 12-13, DPS 15, Armor 3
-> Compared to single spec DEX: -1 Hit%, +5 Health, -18 Mana, -2 Damage, -3 DPS, +1 Armor = net stat loss -13
Lv 21 Operative, 1 STR, 55 DEX, 53 INT (dual spec DEX/INT)
Hit% 75, Crit 3, Dodge 2, Health 149, Mana 166, Damage 13-14, DPS 17, Armor 2
-> Compared to single spec DEX: +1 Hit%, -12 Health, +5 Mana, -1 Damage, -1 DPS = net stat loss -8

So for Operatives, full DEX > dual spec DEX/INT > dual spec STR/DEX in terms of total stats. But +/- 1 Hit%, the difference of 2 damage, and some Health or Mana is NOT significant enough to say that single spec DEX or dual spec STR/DEX or dual spec DEX/INT is superior to one another. In fact, they're nearly equivalent. Even skill damages will be roughly equivalent due to the damage:skill damage ratio per stat point in Star Legends (in Pocket Legends, skill damage was primarily based off of your class and damage, and damage was primarily increased by DEX).

I hope this is a bit more clearer to everyone. Conclusion: In Star Legends, how you spec your character will barely affect your build.

edit:

Gallotech-equipped Operative with lv 21 weapon:
Lv 21 Operative (DEX)
Hit% 81 Crit 8 Dodge 3 Health 186 Mana 199 Damage 37-64 DPS 63 Armor 180
Lv 21 Operative (STR/DEX)
Hit% 80 Crit 7 Dodge 2 Health 192 Mana 181 Damage 34-61 DPS 60 Armor 181
--> Compared to single spec DEX: -1 Hit% -1 Crit -1 Dodge +16 Health -18 Mana -3 Damage -3 DPS +1 Armor = net stat loss -10
Lv 21 Operative (DEX/INT)
Hit% 82 Crit 7 Dodge 2 Health 174 Mana 204 Damage 35-62 DPS 61 Armor 180
--> Compared to single spec DEX: +1 Hit% -1 Crit -1 Dodge -12 Health +5 Mana -2 Damage -2 DPS = net stat loss -12

Bit off-topic, but my first char in SL is definitely going to be an operative :D

Fncrazy
07-15-2011, 12:48 PM
The devs need to fix stats because right now 90% of the players are going to stay tru to their class and be full str, dex, int which equals boring. Cool we all get to run around with same stats.

Ebalere
07-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Jaytb, if its because the operative has 200 armor, dont worry, that's nothing in SL. My commando has almost around 500 buffed. So the stats are non comparible between games.

jjhiza
07-25-2011, 01:27 PM
It's really not that bad guys; I have a maxed, pure dex Op, and a maxed, dual spec Engi (about a 2-1 ratio, int to str). The reason I went with that build on the Engi was because key stats don't always increase if you dump all points into one spot. By dividing my points, I was able to create an Engi who can do solo miner runs, buff well in group runs, has good survival, does good damage, and is (most importantly) really fun to play! Dual specing in SL will not be the same as PL, since (as someone already mentioned) all armor and most weapons are class specific; no ARC Cannons for Engis, and no Stoneklaz for Coms... that simple fact negates most of the negative impacts of dual spec builds imo, and makes you focus on YOUR play style, and what you have most fun doing. :)

Acyer
07-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Well time being armor is class specific meaning certain amount of stats are not needed hence making dual speccing worthless.

Ebalere
07-26-2011, 12:47 AM
so Zero you're saying you're an all str commando?

Acyer
07-26-2011, 06:09 AM
so Zero you're saying you're an all str commando?Sure am.

Arterra
07-26-2011, 09:56 AM
How you assign your stats in SL seems to give very marginal differences in things like hit% and armor... An engineer I think has maybe 3% difference from pure int and pure Dex (engie guide) and str barely affects the armor (considering how much more armor you need to survive too...).
The only thing I find it helps are skills. I havnt checked, but If some skills are affected by different stats, the closest you could get to dual speccing is to skill builds, where you equip different gear for making different skills better. (hint to devs)

Conradin
07-26-2011, 10:06 AM
How you assign your stats in SL seems to give very marginal differences in things like hit% and armor... An engineer I think has maybe 3% difference from pure int and pure Dex (engie guide) and str barely affects the armor (considering how much more armor you need to survive too...).
The only thing I find it helps are skills. I havnt checked, but If some skills are affected by different stats, the closest you could get to dual speccing is to skill builds, where you equip different gear for making different skills better. (hint to devs)

like in some games, an item might reduce flame walls casting speed by 5%, etc

Ebalere
07-26-2011, 01:37 PM
so Zero you're saying you're an all str commando?Sure am.

So was i, then i added dex and i actually hit mobs with my gunshots now instead of seeing miss, miss, miss, 15, miss, miss.. etc. I can only imagine this will be more important when level cap is higher and more attribute points can be spent.

Acyer
07-26-2011, 07:33 PM
So was i, then i added dex and i actually hit mobs with my gunshots now instead of seeing miss, miss, miss, 15, miss, miss.. etc. I can only imagine this will be more important when level cap is higher and more attribute points can be spent.Oh im sure i will eventually add dex. But atm not that big of a deal.

Ellyidol
07-26-2011, 07:36 PM
So was i, then i added dex and i actually hit mobs with my gunshots now instead of seeing miss, miss, miss, 15, miss, miss.. etc. I can only imagine this will be more important when level cap is higher and more attribute points can be spent.

This.

25/26 is so early still, IMO. Even if there's no dual spec-ing, who knows what we would see in the future updates.

I wasn't a Founder, so correct me if I'm mistaken, but the first time I came across dual spec-ing was AO2 gear (more so in AO3 gear), so starting at 45 only.