PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Bear skill to break-out of freeze/root.

Ellyidol
07-17-2011, 04:40 AM
Hello!

Currently, each class has one skill that, when used, frees the character from a freeze/root.

If I'm not mistaken, it goes:

Bird = Avian Scream
Mage = Heal
Bear = Stomp

After considering it for awhile, and getting opinions from other players, I think the bear skill should be changed from Stomp to Hell Scream.

Bears already have the big disadvantage of the majority of its skills being melee. Getting Frozen/Rooted only adds to our problems. That said, Stomp is also the bears only combo-finisher (Beckon+Stomp). IMO, its such a waste to have to use Stomp to break out of a freeze/root, and not have a combo-finisher anymore.

Avian Scream or Heal doesn't affect the ability of the bird/Mage to finish their respective combos.

Makes sense, I hope. Thanks :)

nazgulking
07-17-2011, 05:17 AM
Your suggestion makes sense, so +1

Kakatoa91
07-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Interesting and good suggestion.
Nothing overpowering and could give str bear a tiny bit more chance in pvp at hlvl.

Redbridge
07-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Yep, makes great sense. Surprised it hasn't been suggested b4.

+1

Mr.Wallace
07-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Good idea! I always hate to waste a stomp cooldown for ice :)
But I think the skill to break free should still be one available early in game - like avian scream and heal are too - because of the omnipresent root traps in forest haven. So maybe taunt as replacement?

Ellyidol
07-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Good idea! I always hate to waste a stomp cooldown for ice :)
But I think the skill to break free should still be one available early in game - like avian scream and heal are too - because of the omnipresent root traps in forest haven. So maybe taunt as replacement?

That's true.

Taunt is only on a 6sec CD though, Taunt would be ideal for me, I mean after all we're tanks. I just didn't want to suggest Taunt and hear screams of OP :p

Kakatoa91
07-17-2011, 10:43 AM
rite forgot about the low lvl map... poor lil bear gettin stuck in pve ;/ since HS is available around 19 no? Stomp is lvl 4 or 5 forgot.

In pvp also, this would problably change the low lvl twink world if bear cant unroot/unfreeze if they dont have HS yet.

So taunt yea is a low lvl skill. But its mana free...
So the risk if its put there to make bear pay that skill now since the skill receive an other bonus.

noobmigo
07-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Blah Blah Blah.

Taunt, no. I would say one of the slashes, to "Slash" out of the root/freeze.

NECROREAPER
07-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Blah Blah Blah.

But then why would a bird "scream" out of a root or a mage "heal" out of a freeze???

Phoenixking
07-17-2011, 01:36 PM
But then why would a bird "scream" out of a root or a mage "heal" out of a freeze???A bird screams it breaks the ice and pushes root away a mage healing clears negative effects defrosting and withering them away but taunt is better imo

Otukura
07-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Blah Blah Blah.

Someone doesn't want to respec their twink:rolleyes:

I'm all for taunt, or having hell scream and stomp both unfreeze/unroot yourself. The mages/birds have two freezes/roots anyway.

Phoenixking
07-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Someone doesn't want to respec their twink:rolleyes:I'm all for taunt, or having hell scream and stomp both unfreeze/unroot yourself. The mages/birds have two freezes/roots anyway.And the bears have three stunning attacks

Otukura
07-17-2011, 01:58 PM
And the bears have three stunning attacks

Those stunning attacks are melee range. And they have a bunch of ministuns(not melee range) too.

Phoenixking
07-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Those stunning attacks are melee range. And they have a bunch of ministuns(not melee range) too.Did i mention of them is beckon? Ooh and i forgot about Stomp it has a rare stun

Otukura
07-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Did i mention of them is beckon? Ooh and i forgot about Stomp it has a rare stun

Beckon is only a ministun.

SMS= stun
Stomp = stun

Beckon = ministun
HS = ministun

So they only have 2 stuns.

Phoenixking
07-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Ooh kk put me down like that lol jk and CRIPPLING SLASH!!! Is also a stun

Otukura
07-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Ooh kk put me down like that lol jk and CRIPPLING SLASH!!! Is also a stun

CS is a rare mini stun, I don't really count it as it doesn't happen too often.

Phoenixking
07-17-2011, 02:12 PM
CS is a rare mini stun, I don't really count it as it doesn't happen too often.It says it roots target

Otukura
07-17-2011, 02:15 PM
It says it roots target

root =/= stun, mini stuns root people too.

Ellyidol
07-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Otu is right, sure we have stuns, but they're all melee. The biggest problem of a bear is just that, getting into melee range.

AFAIK, mini-stuns don't "force" you to use a skill to break free. Only freezes/roots.

Bear = 2 roots from bird, 2 freezes from mage, one stomp to get away from one of four of these, no more combo.

Bird = 2 freezes from mage, probably only one since the other is an AoE (close-ish range), 2 roots from bird, Avian Scream to break free, no effect on combo.

Mage = 2 freezes from mage, 2 root from bird, most sensible that heal breaks free, easy to get out of it, no effect on combo.

@migo

I get where you're coming from, I really do. I used to twink in other games as well. But with all due respect, PvP and working towards rebalancing it shouldn't have twinks as it's base comparison. IMO, twinks are the most entertaining alternative to end-game PvP, but should only come second to it.

That said, you can't sacrifice end-game balance for the benefit of twinking. Unless I'm badly misinformed that this game prioritizes in twinking before end-game, that's how I feel.

Otukura
07-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Bird = 2 freezes from mage, probably only one since the other is an AoE (close-ish range), 2 roots from bird, Avian Scream to break free, no effect on combo.

Actually, I think Avian Scream needs to be maxed for it to happen(certaintly doesn't work at 1, or 2, but I know it works at 6. Haven't tested in between). Hardly anyone has it, but birds have the range that being stuck isn't a life-killing thing.

Another thing in the back of my mind was making HS have a much longer range, 10-12 instead of 8. The mini stun might help bears get closer.

Ellyidol
07-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Actually, I think Avian Scream needs to be maxed for it to happen(certaintly doesn't work at 1, or 2, but I know it works at 6. Haven't tested in between). Hardly anyone has it, but birds have the range that being stuck isn't a life-killing thing.

Another thing in the back of my mind was making HS have a much longer range, 10-12 instead of 8. The mini stun might help bears get closer.

Interesting, haven't heard this before. Would be awesome if someone else could confirm too.

I know Stomp 6 works, will test in between.

And yes, agreed on HS, but I can only imagine the OP cries of non-bear players sound like after ;)

JaytB
07-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Interesting, haven't heard this before. Would be awesome if someone else could confirm too.

And yes, agreed on HS, but I can only imagine the OP cries of non-bear players sound like after ;)

I know from LE maps (to break free from ice) that stomp only works starting from lvl4. My guess is it would be the same for pvp.

At low lvls, it would be kind of a waste to have to put 4 points in taunt to be able to unfreeze/unroot yourself IMO Maybe give taunt it's unroot ability at lvl1. It's a skill I wouldn't even put a point in at low lvl. So it could be a fair tradeoff against the lower cooldown.

Anyway, I think this is a great suggestion you brought up here. Kind of remarkable that nobody else thought of this before. I really hope the devs take notice of this thread :)

Ellyidol
07-17-2011, 04:39 PM
I know from LE maps (to break free from ice) that stomp only works starting from lvl4. My guess is it would be the same for pvp.

At low lvls, it would be kind of a waste to have to put 4 points in taunt to be able to unfreeze/unroot yourself IMO Maybe give taunt it's unroot ability at lvl1. It's a skill I wouldn't even put a point in at low lvl. So it could be a fair tradeoff against the lower cooldown.

Anyway, I think this is a great suggestion you brought up here. Kind of remarkable that nobody else thought of this before. I really hope the devs take notice of this thread :)

Thanks! 4 sounds right, since it's below Otu's theory of 6 but above his experience of 1-2.

Otukura
07-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Sounds about right :)

How low do you consider low? Below 20/25, it's not like they need an unroot -- they deal so much damage because of rage. Maybe level 2/3. It'll help them out at level 35+

noobmigo
07-17-2011, 07:32 PM

OP cries? What?

Adding a unfreeze for HS will be OP? No sir. We will be OP AFTER you reverse the rage nerf, make beckon have larger range, and GIVE US A CHARGE SKILL!

Ellyidol
07-18-2011, 01:53 AM
OP cries? What?

Adding a unfreeze for HS will be OP? No sir. We will be OP AFTER you reverse the rage nerf, make beckon have larger range, and GIVE US A CHARGE SKILL!

Lol no, making HS 11-12m range. Beckon range is fine the way it is, charge would be the best new change.

noobmigo
07-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Lol no, making HS 11-12m range. Beckon range is fine the way it is, charge would be the best new change.

I apologize for not reading it the whole way through.

I say 10m for HS! Rawr!

JaytB
07-18-2011, 09:32 AM
charge would be the best new change.

Oooh charge... I'd like to see that in PL :)

Maybe they could modify the taunt skill to take agro AND charge. There would be 1 skill that would need to be modified for this anyway. For pve that would be cool too, this gives a bear the chance to stay in front of the group, and I can see myself charging towards a wall already while taking agro of the surrounding enemies :D

Fyrce
07-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Hell Scream finishes a combo and a Mega...

Ellyidol
07-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Hell Scream finishes a combo and a Mega...

Self-combos.

To be honest, I haven't seen one mega combo in pvp other than the time that we actually staged it.

Otukura
07-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Self-combos.

To be honest, I haven't seen one mega combo in pvp other than the time that we actually staged it.

I was mega combo'd twice within 3 seconds once, but other than that, no others. Was rather disappointed that they didn't seem to add damage.

Simnar
07-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Yep, makes great sense. Surprised it hasn't been suggested b4.

+1

+2 (one up on ya)

Ellyidol
07-19-2011, 05:57 AM
I was mega combo'd twice within 3 seconds once, but other than that, no others. Was rather disappointed that they didn't seem to add damage.

You're lucky :p

noobmigo
07-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Is there any dex weapon for twinks that gives Break Armor proc? I've seen a bear self combo with crushed, but it was a level 30.

Ellyidol
07-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Is there any dex weapon for twinks that gives Break Armor proc? I've seen a bear self combo with crushed, but it was a level 30.

Not aware of any with Break Armour.. You mean the Crushed combo? Or with Crushing Blow?

Side-track, is it possible to request any dev response from this? It'd really help on shining the light for the future pvp for bears at least.

Zerious
07-20-2011, 01:08 PM
charge.... me likey :)

Ellyidol
08-14-2011, 04:21 AM
Bumping this for further discussion and attention.

Although I've learned to alter my PvP combo more to avoid this issue (be stingy on stomp), I still believe that it's very unbalanced on how our only self-combo finisher (also our biggest spike/nuke skill) is also our only hope in getting out of roots/freezes which we already have more than enough to deal with (2 per class).