PDA

View Full Version : Experience from a beta player?

Technot
07-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Im wondering whats the impression from a current beta tester on engineer class? Ive alwways liked playing a support class, but im unsure if its so smart if say all groups always manages to get a healer, i.e. To many of them.

How is the class for solo work? I assume u cannot solo the whole instance, but Im not a fan of using pots.

Flowman
07-17-2011, 09:17 AM
I love my engineer. People love engineers in their party.

My engineer has the best weapon in the game so far and with pure Int stats, I have a DPS of 74. The highest Op DPS I have seen has been 88, on my own account, with full gallowtech(goo soaked sleeves) and mine sweepers. With 74 DPS you can solo reasonably fast, but since you won't have many direct combat skills, it is noticeably slower, compared to the Operative with the highest DPS and multiple combat skills.

However, the AOE skill transference not only attacks all mobs in the area, but heals you as well. Stack that with empathy and leech (I don't use leech but it's a skill at your disposal) with defense buffs like protection and the shield, and you're a pretty hard guy to kill. Some maps are just hard to solo in general for any class. You can do them with pots, but without pots Id say the farthest into Delta-7 you'll be able to solo without trouble is Dead Man Cave, MAYBE Honeycomb Hideout.

Overall, people appreciate good engineers. Nothing to me is more annoying then playing on my Op or my commando and having people not heal on their engineers because they're worried about their own HP and their own HP only. A good support player keeps the Heal on at all times regardless if theyre full hp or not, because you're support, and having a fully functioning team is a lot faster and beneficial than having a team of operatives spamming health potions and commandos not knowing which way is up.

Fyrce
07-17-2011, 01:27 PM
If you are a good engineer, you will be invited to every group and have Commando and Op "groupies" who basically invite you whenever you are on. You are free stim packs for them. If you use your skills. Well.

Technot
07-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Thx for the replies, are game setup like pocket legends, meaning u can just join a game and get into a team? I dont know many ppl, only guy i really got to know from pl was chaudex.. Farming ftw :-)

Do engineers gets kicked from team if say two join a game?

AOmonsta
07-17-2011, 02:12 PM
More eng the better, especially if your going against a boss like the miner.

Solo play is tough against enemies at your level. I've died a lot that way. But yea I get a lot of messages and invites from people saying they need an engineer.

Flowman
07-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Thx for the replies, are game setup like pocket legends, meaning u can just join a game and get into a team? I dont know many ppl, only guy i really got to know from pl was chaudex.. Farming ftw :-)

Do engineers gets kicked from team if say two join a game?
Most parties welcome 2 engineers for harder levels.

Technot
07-18-2011, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll setttle for a Engineer (first) and see what comes from it.

Bene
07-18-2011, 05:30 AM
Couldn't agree more with Flows first post. Engineers are great, every group needs at least one. Make sure you up your support skills reasonably fast (empathy, protection) and you'll be a highly sought after engie indeed :) I did one point in transference and pain for the awesome heal (practically mass drain) and stun.

Technot
07-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Okay, so the first 10 points should go into Empathy and Protection? No need for say Wither? From what I have read up on, I kinda tought it would be best to get Wither, Empaty (higher rank), Force shield and Revive pretty early. Yet I don't know if all skills are avalible from low lvl.

Flowman
07-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Okay, so the first 10 points should go into Empathy and Protection? No need for say Wither? From what I have read up on, I kinda tought it would be best to get Wither, Empaty (higher rank), Force shield and Revive pretty early. Yet I don't know if all skills are avalible from low lvl.
Here is my set up, I personally like it a lot and I think most people will for a support class role.

6 Empathy
6 Force Shield
3 transference
1 revive
3 protection

High empathy is a must. 6 force shield keeps you alive and boosts your armor by a substantial amount and also regens your Mana. Transference is your AOE combat skill and it heals you as well. I'll often use transference right before empathy because of the time delay empathy has on healing. Revive is a must if you're planning on playing in teams. protection buffs your parties defense and also stacks with other engineers protections, making it crucial for parties.

I personally found wither useless as I don't plan on soloing very hard maps where I cant kill a mob in 2-3 hits regardless, so DOT isn't needed. I tried out Pain for a while, and found it kind of usefull for levels like Big Bug Blast where there are a lot of Tickers and things have higher hp. If you cast pain on the ticker, it's hp is high enough where the effect will go off and damage surrounding targets. However you should be killing those first anyways, so the skill just doesn't seem needed for me. When I get 21 on my engineer, I might but a point into pain. The skill that stuns targets is ONLY useful in soloing IMO, and the fact that AOE cancels this effect means that if you cast transference, the stun goes away. If you're in a party with commandos, their AOE will cancel it. Just not worth it yet if you ask me.

Technot
07-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Seems like a good build, but it was my understanding that 1 point (maybe two) in force field was "enough"? As 1M/S. If group does it work, you shouldn't need that much shielding? Or do you face oneshoot if not? Or maybe high enough dps so you cant heal before dead?

Flowman
07-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Force shield adds a +20 armor buff per level, meaning at lvl 6 you're buffing your own armor by +120. I also think that the higher the level of the shield, the more damage you can take before the buff is gone. I have no proof of this because the skills are very vague and there's no description on the amount of damage you can take, but it would only make sense that more levels = more damage blocking. The shield lasts for a set amount of time or until a certain amount of damage is absorbed, so I think "1 or 2" being enough is personal preference, and not a set in stone thing. I'll take personally survivability over my team because although I preach the support role, if I'm keeping them alive with my buffs and I'm the only engineer, If I go down I'm walking myself back to the fight.

Derajdefyre
07-18-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't know from personal experience, but someone who told me they tested it said that additional force shield points ONLY increases armor. That is why I only have one point in it and I put six points in protection, which buffs me AND my team. I totally agree that 1 revive and 6 empathy are non negotiable regardless of what you want... if you are an engineer without 1 revive and 6 empathy you're doing it wrong, way wrong, and no one will want you around. I'm only level 15 on my engineer so I don't have a final build planned yet.

Cascade
07-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Engineers are very easy to solo with and with a group its great as well you hardly need any stims at all.

iLikeTurtles
07-18-2011, 02:54 PM
your dps seems to be decently high, but how is your mana and hit? imo those are the two most important things for the support build. I never run out of mana, and i have 316 mana and 62 dps, hit is 84% as well.

I would like to think of myself as one of the "older" engineers seeing as how i have been in beta guild was created. The engi class is a very good all around jack of all trades, and i 100% belive will be the best pvp class also, with the dots heals and shield it will be very hard for 1-2 people to kill you.

I dont normally use wither either, but i got 2 into leech(not used very often) 6 into empathy 1 revive 3 into force shield 4 into protection 4 into transferance.

Technot
07-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Okay so shield actually is important. Kinda saw the armor bonus as a minor buff as in similar mmo's.

How are the premium packages u can get till lvl 5? are they any use beside from inventory slots? 1500 gold I assume is nada, armor wont scale to lvl and be replaced within a few days. Auction slots seems okay tho.

Sorry if I keep asking stupid questions, got to kill the wait time, after i deleted order and chaos along with 3x lvl 60s :-)

iLikeTurtles
07-18-2011, 04:08 PM
yes they give you three sets of green gear 5 10 and 15 very nice to have since the plat gear is better than the dropped gear. the 1500 credits is pretty nice and you also get 100 stim and 100 engery packs as well (not sure about stims and energy never really payed attention) but i bought premium on all three toons i am using and im happy about my choice. XD

thequickone
07-27-2011, 07:52 PM
While a bit selfish, Force Shield can be a beneficial skill at higher levels. Mine is at level 4, and in addition to the 80 DEF buff, I also get a 2 M/s buff (bringing my total to 3 M/s regen). Considering this is the Engineer's only MP regen aside from the hidden (not so hidden anymore...) 1 M/s buff of Revive, it's a pretty useful buff. At level 4, a Force Shield that lasts the full 30 seconds (you get to know which mobs can knock it out) will net the Engineer an additional 60 MP. In my opinion, the MP regen buff can become more useful than the DEF buff.

I'd be interested to hear how many seasoned Engineers are using Force Shield for the DEF buff vs. those using it for the MP regen buff.

Arterra
07-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Meh no shield for me thx I don't use ot on battle, I use it out of battle. Think of it this way: it is a aura that helps you regain mana, but takes very little to tear down. Every level helps it be a little stronger, but it will never truly stand up in real combat.
The devs should either increase the m/s per level or the shield hp per level. As it is, one point in it gives you the necessary.

I would instead spilt those 5 points into skills like wither and the aoe healing spell. I like casting wither on the high hp targets then autoattack killing the weak ones. Also helps a lot on bosses. And the reasoning behind a aoe damage/healing spell is enough.
Summary: you have empathy and healing aoe, shield is not enough to warrant wasting points.

Quientar
07-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Eng is my fav class. when im on as Quientar (my eng), i get invited to atleast 4 games an hour.

and eng's are a necessity on some levels, and people prefer eng's who work with the party and keep them on their feet and alive as opposed to someone who is just looking for a free ride and not healing anyone. I've actually seen some eng's booted from games because they were playing their char like an op and not healing or helping anyone, just worrying bout damage and such.

sorry for rambling and the confusing order on the above, but hope you get the intent.

Thegodofgreen
08-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Just started yesterday I like Eng more than Arc from PL.