PDA

View Full Version : Vinnie the Vendor

WoundedEagle
07-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Vinnie the Vendor is a new way the devs have implemented so that people can try an elixer.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa427/Woundedeagle2/a6fa6495.jpg
He offers you to try one or save it for another time and even take you to the platinum store.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa427/Woundedeagle2/92208c0f.jpg
He offers you a Triple Elixer containing Triple Experience Gain, Triple Damage, Triple Armor and a boost of Speed and Luck for 15 minutes..... All for FREE!
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa427/Woundedeagle2/469a5b85.jpg
He offers to also take you to the platinum store.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa427/Woundedeagle2/238b3843.jpg
He is also in all campaigns if Alterra, even premium campaigns purchased with platinum.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa427/Woundedeagle2/ef593361.jpg
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa427/Woundedeagle2/8605f527.jpg

Roasty
07-20-2011, 06:25 PM
I switched devices to iPod touch (2nd gen) so I didn't see what the update was all about because of the tiny screen and all, so I just started playing. I saw Vinnie, I was like...wth? And I really didn't pay attention to what he was saying, next thing I know, I got a free elixir. Heh heh, I got a full chunk of xp in that run :p

Register
07-20-2011, 06:28 PM
i used my level 10 dex bear twink and i used it and got to 12 np. I one hit killed everything as long as i had rage. IT WAS AMAZING. not only am i grateful that i got to level faster but i got to try out how it feels. The best elixer i have ever bought is the 1.5 combo and THAT felt great! When i tried the 3x.....oh.....AWESOME. now i wanna buy a 4x :D

Roasty
07-20-2011, 06:29 PM
i used my level 10 dex bear twink and i used it and got to 12 np. I one hit killed everything as long as i had rage. IT WAS AMAZING. not only am i grateful that i got to level faster but i got to try out how it feels. The best elixer i have ever bought is the 1.5 combo and THAT felt great! When i tried the 3x.....oh.....AWESOME. now i wanna buy a 4x :D

Easy Roasty, don't let the excitement kill you...

http://anju66.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/laughing-smiley.gif

Ayc2000
07-20-2011, 06:55 PM
That is sooo cool :) I'll use that when the new campaigns are coming out

Register
07-20-2011, 07:11 PM
That is sooo cool :) I'll use that when the new campaigns are coming out

haha im using mine tomorrow so level to 50 xD but that will really help me today because im remaking my twink to explore some new builds :)

Phoenixking
07-20-2011, 07:14 PM
I had a level 14 dexchantress now its 18

Beanmachine
07-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Wait he only gives you ONE elixir the entire time!??!
I thought it was one a day:(

Otukura
07-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Wait he only gives you ONE elixir the entire time!??!
I thought it was one a day:(

Touching on this, is it one/day or one forever, and do you get one for each character, or one for your account?

Samhayne
07-20-2011, 10:28 PM
I believe it is one elixir per character. It's just like doing a quest for him (when you say you want the elixir) and you can't do that quest again. But... it's not a quest :)

Gluttony
07-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Does anyone else think that perhaps Vinnie is a step in the wrong direction? I mean he is like the local drug dealer trying to hook the newbs on their first hit of elixir. Has anyone taken their free-bee, does he leave you alone after that?

Vinnie: Psst... Bud, try this and it'll make you feel like you're flying.
(15 min later)
Gluttony: Hey man, you got anymore of that stuff?
Vinnie: Did you like that? I got tons more where that came from, only 5 plat.
(5 min later)
Gluttony: *shaking* Gimmie more man!
Vinnie: Ok ok, only 20 plat this time.
(30 min later)
Gluttony: *foaming at the mouth* MOAR!!

Shadowie
07-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Does anyone else think that perhaps Vinnie is a step in the wrong direction? I mean he is like the local drug dealer trying to hook the newbs on their first hit of elixir. Has anyone taken their free-bee, does he leave you alone after that?

(15 min later)
(5 min later)
(30 min later)

Strongly agreeded! But then, that how they make more sales!

Ps: wonder who thought of thie idea, great bonus for him/her - lol

Orcish
07-20-2011, 11:26 PM
This idea is genius! It's a great hook that will appeal to most players.

Piosidon
07-21-2011, 01:19 AM
Had the best CTK runs of my LIFE with the elixir

Flickz
07-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Wow thought it was once a day, as soon as i saw vinny i got the elixer,posted where he was at (because i thought he was only at one location) then i went to eat since it was almost 12a...what a waste

Beanmachine
07-21-2011, 05:11 AM
This sucks:( IMO he IS a drug dealer... could at least keep the free elixir per day except make it x2 instead of x3 and maybe for 10 mins instead.

Kakatoa91
07-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Ill have a taste of that drug when really needed... hard no resiiiiist...

Gluttony
07-21-2011, 07:02 AM
This sucks:( IMO he IS a drug dealer... could at least keep the free elixir per day except make it x2 instead of x3 and maybe for 10 mins instead.

That's not good business, Bean you would make the worst dealer ever! Once shot to get you hooked, then jack up the price when you keep coming back for more. I mean is there isn't even a 15 min 3x combo elixir that is the equivalent?! Then there is offering it to the newbs so they are amazed at the effects elixirs have on their level 2 toon; I mean you can never get a buff like that again... keep buying elixirs to try to feel that awesome again!

Beanmachine
07-21-2011, 09:02 AM
That's not good business, Bean you would make the worst dealer ever! Once shot to get you hooked, then jack up the price when you keep coming back for more. I mean is there isn't even a 15 min 3x combo elixir that is the equivalent?! Then there is offering it to the newbs so they are amazed at the effects elixirs have on their level 2 toon; I mean you can never get a buff like that again... keep buying elixirs to try to feel that awesome again!

I know the concept of it, but honestly don't think its fair for players like us who buy plat elixirs and especially when they removed our gold purchasable elixirs. They could have at least kept the 2x but instead made that plat and gave us a weak 1.5 elixir.

Tempest
07-21-2011, 09:05 AM
No wonder i did 4500 dmg with orb...

ZeraJade
07-21-2011, 10:16 AM
I know the concept of it, but honestly don't think its fair for players like us who buy plat elixirs and especially when they removed our gold purchasable elixirs. They could have at least kept the 2x but instead made that plat and gave us a weak 1.5 elixir.

People are screaming for a gold pit, and gold elixirs are fantastic. I was very disappointed when gold elixirs went away (shortly) and ate a bunch of plat. Then we got gold elixirs back, but 1.5? (Which is really .5 because you do 1 by default).

I've said it before: This game is free, but the company behind it needs to make money. Plat is the answer and that's fine. You buy a new console game at $60 or subscribe to xbox live, or purchase expansion packs, etc, etc. With the cap raise announcement sts saw profits jump with people buying plat to buy elixirs, which is why suddenly there were x4 elixirs. Heck, I'd even stall the release and milk the plat for elixir sales. That would be a smart move on my part.

But Vinny is so blatantly saying, I'm here to make money because you can't get this any other way.

It's not like he's selling special high lvl plat only equips that would unbalance pvp...

Ok, apologies for rant. The screen shots and information in the original post is very well done. I've yet to see him but now I know it might not be such an extensive search :)

Gluttony
07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
It's not like he's selling special high lvl plat only equips that would unbalance pvp...

Isn't this done with the new premium packs that are available at character creation screen for 50 plat? That's not Vinnie's domain!

I've yet to see him but now I know it might not be such an extensive search :)

No search at all, he is at the beginning of every map (non-town) you enter, sulking in the shadows, psst-ing at you, trying to encourage you to spend more plat after you get a taste of what it's like being all juiced up.

noobmigo
07-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Wow, are you KIDDING me?

You guys won't implement "gambling", because this is a kiddy game, but what you do, is add some DRUG DEALER.
Also, please, make him look less pimpy. Makes me sad.

My rant is done.

Here is the closest to thing my CONSTRUCTIVE criticism on a non-feedback thead.

Why I do NOT like this update

Drug Reference
Vinny offers you an elixir, drug dealer style. (Hey man, you want this butterfly potion? It'll make you feel good, and I'll offer you a FREE TRIAL. It makes you stronger, makes you faster, it gives you experience, and you will be able to punch harder!
The above contradicts what the devs have said.
"This is a game for kids, too." Guess what, you made it even more kid friendly by adding a STONER MERCH!

Whirlzap
07-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Eh this idea sounds dumb to me.
/resumes playing Pacman with other level 56s

Pandamoni
07-21-2011, 01:10 PM

(15 min later)
(5 min later)
(30 min later)

Yep! Duped and I were discussing this yesterday and he made the same analogy. Total drug pusher getting the kids hooked on the juice.

On a side note, I didn't even know about elixirs until I was almost level 50! On one hand it might have been nice to know aobut them when I was dying left and right at CTK at level 38 lol. On the other hand it's kind of cool I got there without p leveling or using a ton of elixirs. I wonder if this will lead to even more people getting to level cap with no skill.

Pandamoni
07-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Why I do NOT like this update

Drug Reference
Vinny offers you an elixir, drug dealer style. (Hey man, you want this butterfly potion? It'll make you feel good, and I'll offer you a FREE TRIAL. It makes you stronger, makes you faster, it gives you experience, and you will be able to punch harder!
The above contradicts what the devs have said.
"This is a game for kids, too." Guess what, you made it even more kid friendly by adding a STONER MERCH!

Where's the clapping hands emote?

Aikiebo
07-21-2011, 01:47 PM
AWESOME. now i wanna buy a 4x :D

The 4x combo is exactly like the 3x combo except that you get 4x the xp. But you still get only 3x armor, 3x damage, 35% luck and 30% faster run speed while on the 4x combo.

When using elixirs you can open your inspect page, click on elixir buffs, and see what elixirs are active and how much time is left for each one.

noobmigo
07-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Where's the clapping hands emote?

:D Yay.

Justg
07-21-2011, 04:13 PM
I didn't even know about elixirs until I was almost level 50!

This is exactly why Vinnie has come into play. Elixirs are a significant part of our revenue. Most people don't know about them. Vinnie is just there to spread the word.

ZeraJade
07-21-2011, 10:42 PM
This is exactly why Vinnie has come into play. Elixirs are a significant part of our revenue. Most people don't know about them. Vinnie is just there to spread the word.

This implies that at any level you will never be well equipped to play unless you can use something extra to always boost your stats. So either the mobs are too strong or the equips too weak but it can be balanced with elixirs?

I think most of us get you need to make money. It costs money to run this game even if people can download it for free. If we want game updates, you need money to make that happen. I'm not buying Vinnie was created to better inform players over informing players by using real money they can get more.

It's just a real shady move to take away decent gold elixirs, and not only replace them with plat, but actually place an npc to sell it - while having removed in dungeon hp/mana gold purchases and replacing with plat too. If this trend continues you'll get brand new players looking around going "I need plat for pots or I'm gonna die and have to redo the level, I need plat to better buff myself, I need plat to unlock the maps were good items drop" and they are going to decide it's not worth it for the next 50 levels.

This is a great game, and a downfall to greed would be regrettable. Putting the 2x gold elixirs and in dungeon 25 packs hp/mana - (couldn't Ellie be next to Vinnie?) - could be a show of good intentions in helping new players?

lionblaze149
07-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Vinnie, too much like a drug dealer, even the name! However, he's got me hooked...

Toygersrock 50, Tgispencer 32, other to be unamed

Zeus
07-21-2011, 11:35 PM
I may be naive, but I didn't realize the drug reference until y'all pointed it out to me.

Flowman
07-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Psh I was on the juice from lvl 50 to 55. Took me a day...dunno how many hours.

aldoric
07-22-2011, 02:45 AM
LOl i have not seen him yet :(

Riccits
07-22-2011, 02:56 AM
LOl i have not seen him yet :(

lol and i wish he would just leave with his drugs... hes everwhere i go aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Simnar
07-22-2011, 03:21 AM

(15 min later)
(5 min later)
(30 min later)

you finnaly get your hands on one and parth steals it

pastrychef
07-24-2011, 03:14 AM
Vinnie should be renamed Brian McNamee.

BTW, I hate playing with players on the juice. Everyone just ends up chasing them. I've started just booting people who juice up on my games.

Finneri
07-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Vinnie, too much like a drug dealer, even the name! However, he's got me hooked...

Toygersrock 50, Tgispencer 32, other to be unamed

Well, they changed the name. He's now called Vincent.

simnar_
07-24-2011, 06:07 AM
cant wait to try this when i get wifi again

Justg
07-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Well, they changed the name. He's now called Vincent.

Vincent has been making an effort to clean up his act a bit.

Darkfader
07-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Good addition to let ppl know about elixirs, bye bye originality of game. :)

CanonicalKoi
07-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Lol-ing badly at some of the comments (Gluttony, I'm still laughing!). I have to admit, my first thought when I read Vinnie...er....Vincent's original spiel was, "C'mon! All the cool kids are doing it! And the first hit's always free!" I get needing to introduce new, continuous revenue streams, but yeah: "kid's" game with a pusher on every street corner? Not really cool.

Flowman
07-24-2011, 01:19 PM
I mean in a way, elixirs are like steroids, so there's really only so many ways they can be marketed by NPCs in game. I think it's funny, and we all make jokes in game about "being on the juice" when doing runs on x3 elixirs. It turns into a game of "1 guy leads and kills everything, 4 guys hold down joystick forward" and really isn't a direct reference, but I'm also not a little kid with over protective parents who wouldn't hesitate to pull "Marilyn Manson" accusations saying your game caused their child to do narcotics.

It's a funny idea with no easy way to promote without just saying "Hey we have elixirs, here's a free elixir. Hope you liked the elixir. elixir."

choco
07-25-2011, 04:10 AM
oh noes...not the children. please, u must only touch them with pillow wrapped hands and tell them encouraging things like "its OK to lose" and "youre very special".....

lmao...wow. its almost impossible to resist....

Eyesharp
07-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Watch your language I'm a kid here.

Snakespeare
07-26-2011, 11:18 AM
off topic, but...

Leveling in spelled funny. Personally, I prefer the American one "L" spelling to the British two "L"s. I always write it as "power leveling" or "I leveled up". Similarly, I type "traveler", spelled the same way as the old 80's pen-and-paper RPG.

Ayc2000
07-26-2011, 11:20 AM
i just noticed the spelling, hmm...it looks off to me, I guess I use leveling

The Flash
07-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Why are people complaning about elixer costing plat and potions being plat in dungen. All lv were made with the intension of being beatable without elixers and if you cant then practice more or get a better team. Which means elixers arent need to play the game but there as a added bonus. Elixer are icing on the cake buy it if you want icing if not eat the cake by itself it still good.

As for potions: if you run out of potions in a lv i dont no what to say. Ive never ran out of potion. Im always looking at screen shots of players toons and see like less then 100 on most. I never go in with less then 1000 each ( i dont like to die) and when it drops below that i buy as soon as possible. An if you cant afford 1k of each and are 50+ you need to use your money wisely. Plus there is people all the time selling them for less since they farm potions.

Duped
07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Vinnie and Ellie would be great together! I get that they want to "push" elixirs, but even if you call Vinnie Vincent, change his approach from Psst... to Howdy! I still get the same vibe :) - He's a dealer! But those changes do hide it some.

Everyone has different thoughts on elixirs, I just hope the game doesn't start to feel like an overwhelming plat push. I've noticed quite a shift, but the game play is still awesome as always :)

Aikiebo
07-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Vinnie should be renamed Brian McNamee.

BTW, I hate playing with players on the juice. Everyone just ends up chasing them. I've started just booting people who juice up on my games.

I'm really stunned to see how far and fast the conversation on this issue has deteriorated. I feel like I've been silkrooted and my head is spinning. Drawing an analogy between illegal drugs and elixirs is really a stretch. Drugs exist to make people's lives better. Of the thousands of drugs only a tiny, tiny percentage are illegal and harmful. Elixirs in this GAME are neither. They are being promoted by the devs and are completely harmless. If someone wants to draw an analogy to drugs, which is so bizarre, but if someone wanted to, they'd have to compare elixirs to LEGAL drugs. Because elixirs are legal, harmless, and designed to make people's lives better. (In this case, better=more fun for the players who use them.)

The way Vinnie was portrayed was intended to be humorous-that is all. The original Vinny doesn't promote drug use anymore then the game in general promotes real-life violent rampages. There are people who are trying to outlaw games that portray any sort of violence. There are others that would like to see these games be rated M. Is there anyone on this forum who agrees with any of these people? Imo, the people who believe this stuff about video games are not dealing with facts, are being way too emotional, rigid and really uptight. No, obviously, NO, Vinny was and is not promoting drug use.

This whole idea seems so ungrateful. The devs have ****ed into overdrive trying to bring us more and more content. Who hasn't seen the multple threads about programming jobs opening up. Increased expenses means revenues have to increase.

To be fair to ALL players, I think that the options to use gold to buy elixirs should be pretty much equal to the platinum offers. Also, I think that 5, 30, or 60 minutes should be dungeon time. I guess, and this is only a guess, they figure they will make more money (a good thing) the way it is now. Maybe. But it's possible that they might make more the other way because people wouldn't be so cautions when deciding when to use elixirs.

There are many different playing styles. I realize that and try to accept the idea that some need to apply the concepts of the game play in a very rigid and structured manner. And that's great if that works for them. But I don't think anyone should have the nerve to actually boot someone for doing something that we are being encouraged to do. Something that is harmless and beneficial. Something that every player has the right to do if they want to. Frankly, if elixirs bothered me that much, if I couldn't accept the idea that there are other playing styles, I wouldn't boot that player. I don't have the right. I'D LEAVE. They have the right to use elixirs. The reason why some people are always micro managing others and being control freaks is because deep down they feel insecure.

No one NEEDS to use elixirs. They just add another dimension to the game that can be a huge bit of fun. If some players don't want to use them, that's fine. That's their right. But why do some always try to control the actions of other players?

davidis57
07-27-2011, 03:16 AM
Very true elixers are plat guzzlers and I prefer to use plat for items than something that disappears.

PL Characters Timbabird-55 Oldsillymage-55 SL Character Oldblaster-20

pastrychef
08-03-2011, 02:47 AM
I'm really stunned to see how far and fast the conversation on this issue has deteriorated. I feel like I've been silkrooted and my head is spinning. Drawing an analogy between illegal drugs and elixirs is really a stretch. Drugs exist to make people's lives better. Of the thousands of drugs only a tiny, tiny percentage are illegal and harmful. Elixirs in this GAME are neither. They are being promoted by the devs and are completely harmless. If someone wants to draw an analogy to drugs, which is so bizarre, but if someone wanted to, they'd have to compare elixirs to LEGAL drugs. Because elixirs are legal, harmless, and designed to make people's lives better. (In this case, better=more fun for the players who use them.)

In my book, elixirs are like steroids.

This whole idea seems so ungrateful. The devs have ****ed into overdrive trying to bring us more and more content. Who hasn't seen the multple threads about programming jobs opening up. Increased expenses means revenues have to increase.

Ungrateful? Hmm. I guess I am ungrateful. I appreciate the game and enjoy it. But, understand, the game is part of a business. I enjoy it so I spend cash to buy platinums to support the devs. But I don't really see a need to be "grateful". Maybe I'll be grateful if/when they remove GCD.

There are many different playing styles. I realize that and try to accept the idea that some need to apply the concepts of the game play in a very rigid and structured manner. And that's great if that works for them. But I don't think anyone should have the nerve to actually boot someone for doing something that we are being encouraged to do. Something that is harmless and beneficial. Something that every player has the right to do if they want to. Frankly, if elixirs bothered me that much, if I couldn't accept the idea that there are other playing styles, I wouldn't boot that player. I don't have the right. I'D LEAVE. They have the right to use elixirs. The reason why some people are always micro managing others and being control freaks is because deep down they feel insecure.

No one NEEDS to use elixirs. They just add another dimension to the game that can be a huge bit of fun. If some players don't want to use them, that's fine. That's their right. But why do some always try to control the actions of other players?

You obviously have not played with the same potters I've come across. A good bird on Thrasher Pwnage Punch elixir can clear Banditboy Hideout alone in 2 minutes or less (not including Gold Fever). They run and kill so fast, the rest of the team is just chasing the potter. By the time everyone catches up to him/her, they are at the boss. Plus, the potters will take most, if not all, kills. Honestly, why would I want someone like that in a game that I made? I'm not micromanaging anyone, nor am I insecure. I just want to be involved with the runs. I feel secure enough to know that I don't need the potter in my game.

If they want, they can make their own game. If I wandered in to one of these games, I'll leave. If they wander in to a game that I made, I'm booting.

Aikiebo
08-03-2011, 10:45 PM
[Quote] In my book, elixirs are like steroids. [Quote]

Again, the analogy to illegal drugs is bizarre, but if you want to: steroids are legal, helpful drugs. Millions of people are legally prescribed steroids for their health. My sister-in-law takes steroids cause she has Crohn's disease. I'm not sure what your saying. Are you taking some sort of stance against steroids? Problems develop when steroids are used for illegal reasons and/or distributed in an illegal manner. But that's my point, elixirs are "legal". They are being promoted by the devs. There's nothing wrong with them. The game is more fun for many players when elixirs are being used. They are HARMLESS.

Really they are just stronger potions. Every mmo that I've ever heard of has had various items (potions, food, drinks, packs, etc.) for health, mana, stats, fast run - all kinds of added abilities or benefits. Why is this so difficult to understand? Is there anybody who thinks that mmo's that have drinks to replenish mana are promoting real life alcoholism?

[Quote] Ungrateful? Hmm. I guess I am ungrateful. [Quote]

No one is saying that in order to support the game you need to buy elixirs. It's just the BEST way to keep this game a free download with no monthly fee. There's only so many rings, inventory slots (3 kinds), faces, and respecs a player is gonna need. I know there are other things then just these to buy with plat. But, all these things are needed less frequently and cost less plat. So, the best way to support the game is elixirs. But if someone dont want to, that's ok. No one is gonna say anything to you. I think the devs are being smart by being so generous. And for that, I'm very grateful.

[Quote] You obviously have not played with the same potters I've come across. A good bird on Thrasher Pwnage Punch elixir can clear Banditboy Hideout alone in 2 minutes or less (not including Gold Fever). They run and kill so fast, the rest of the team is just chasing the potter. By the time everyone catches up to him/her, they are at the boss. [Quote]

I think your thinking of someone else's post. I didn't say anything about the way that most groups run when one or more players have used a combo elixir.
Actually, I never suggested that the combos are the only elixirs a player should use. There are lots of elixirs that won't change the group mechanics at all. In fact, most won't.

As far as the way you described the group in your post: Yeah, I would agree that generally, not always, but usually this is the way that the group plays when one our more players is using a combo elixir. But for most players that's not a problem. Most people appreciate a break from what can get repetitive. It's really fast paced, exciting, totally fun and makes for a bit of fast xp - which is the point.

[Quote] If they wander in to a game that I made, I'm booting.[QUOTE]

You know it's wierd, but every since high-level players have existed in any mmo ever, the very idea of "high-level players" has had a bad rep for being rude and arrogant. I happen to know for a fact that is rarely true. But I realize that it can be easy to fall into this trap of "well i've worked so hard to get to this high level (hope u didn't forget to have fun on the way up) - now I have these high-and-mighty rigid standards and beliefs. And, yeah that's great if that works for you. But, you acknowledge that this is only TWO minutes out of your life. I dont know about anyone else, but I'm not so precious that I don't have two minutes to be respectful to others and help build a COMMUNITY vs. some sort of vicious race to the finish line.

It's getting late and this post is long enough for now. So I'm going to finish it tomorow.

Ueteanetabac
08-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Ugh. Stop rambling people. Elixirs are just another way for the devs to push us and puch us to buy more platinum. Eventually, they may remove elixirs for gold entirely. Probably all a matter of time.

Nuff said

Aikiebo
08-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Ugh. Stop rambling people. Elixirs are just another way for the devs to push us and puch us to buy more platinum. Eventually, they may remove elixirs for gold entirely. Probably all a matter of time.

Nuff said

I hope not, like others have said, I wish the gold options would be expanded. In fact, I have a few ideas for elixirs that they don't have, lol.

pastrychef
08-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Again, the analogy to illegal drugs is bizarre, but if you want to: steroids are legal, helpful drugs. Millions of people are legally prescribed steroids for their health. My sister-in-law takes steroids cause she has Crohn's disease. I'm not sure what your saying. Are you taking some sort of stance against steroids? Problems develop when steroids are used for illegal reasons and/or distributed in an illegal manner. But that's my point, elixirs are "legal". They are being promoted by the devs. There's nothing wrong with them. The game is more fun for many players when elixirs are being used. They are HARMLESS.

Let me clarify. I consider some elixirs to be akin to HGH (with the exception of xp elixirs).

No one is saying that in order to support the game you need to buy elixirs. It's just the BEST way to keep this game a free download with no monthly fee. There's only so many rings, inventory slots (3 kinds), faces, and respecs a player is gonna need. I know there are other things then just these to buy with plat. But, all these things are needed less frequently and cost less plat. So, the best way to support the game is elixirs. But if someone dont want to, that's ok. No one is gonna say anything to you. I think the devs are being smart by being so generous. And for that, I'm very grateful.

I can see your point on this. Perhaps it's time for devs to offer more items worth buying.

I think your thinking of someone else's post. I didn't say anything about the way that most groups run when one or more players have used a combo elixir.
Actually, I never suggested that the combos are the only elixirs a player should use. There are lots of elixirs that won't change the group mechanics at all. In fact, most won't.

As far as the way you described the group in your post: Yeah, I would agree that generally, not always, but usually this is the way that the group plays when one our more players is using a combo elixir. But for most players that's not a problem. Most people appreciate a break from what can get repetitive. It's really fast paced, exciting, totally fun and makes for a bit of fast xp - which is the point.

When you have a team of level 56 players, runs are already darn quick. If one of these players decide to juice up with a damage elixir in, for example, Bandit Boy Hideout, it's just to take away kills from the other four members of the team.

You know it's wierd, but every since high-level players have existed in any mmo ever, the very idea of "high-level players" has had a bad rep for being rude and arrogant. I happen to know for a fact that is rarely true. But I realize that it can be easy to fall into this trap of "well i've worked so hard to get to this high level (hope u didn't forget to have fun on the way up) - now I have these high-and-mighty rigid standards and beliefs. And, yeah that's great if that works for you. But, you acknowledge that this is only TWO minutes out of your life. I dont know about anyone else, but I'm not so precious that I don't have two minutes to be respectful to others and help build a COMMUNITY vs. some sort of vicious race to the finish line.

Don't get me wrong, there's no elitism here. I have no problems with helping build a community. I don't boot level 48 players who join my games. I actually try to teach them how to fight the bosses, etc. I'd rather have a naturally aspirated 48 on my team than a juiced up 56.

Aikiebo
08-04-2011, 03:53 PM
[Quote] Perhaps it's time for devs to offer more items worth buying.[Quote]

I totally agree! First off, we need more rings. I love the selection we have now. But the various lines of rings need to continue into higher levels. More and better gear to pick from presented to us so that we can see the effect on stats. Maybe, some vanity or functional guild stuff when guilds are implemented. There's almost an infinite number of items and possibilities for guild enhancements. Also, additional types of elixirs. There are lots of possibilities. This would be win-win for everyone. The game would see increased income and players would have even more to pick from.

[Quote] When you have a team of level 56 players, runs are already darn quick. If one of these players decide to juice up with a damage elixir in, for example, Bandit Boy Hideout, it's just to take away kills from the other four members of the team.

Don't get me wrong, there's no elitism here. I have no problems with helping build a community. I don't boot level 48 players who join my games. I actually try to teach them how to fight the bosses, etc. I'd rather have a naturally aspirated 48 on my team than a juiced up 56.[Quote]

Every rule has at least one exception. I strongly believe that not only are elixirs harmless, they really, really make the game more fun. I mean, they really do. However, I never thought that some might be abusing what the devs have given us by using them just to horde all the kills. That is awful and I dont agree with that at all. I don't know what can be done about this. Just about anything can be abused by some ja.

But I think that this is just a small percentage of players who use elixirs. Don't forget that not everyone is 56. Most are not and most still enjoy a break from the repetitive grind. Most players under 50, even 55, are gonna be glad for a bit of fast xp and not so worried that for a few minutes someone might be taking their kill count. But even at 56, I am not so jaded to think that every single one who are using elixirs are doing it to horde kill count. They might just be trying to get to the bosses as fast as possible to maximize the time they are spending farming pinks. Think about it, if your goal is to farm pinks and if kill count isn't important to you, eliixirs are a GREAT idea.

But either way, people need to cooperate with each other. If someone wants to fast kill to farm pinks, but someone else wants to build kill count, then either compromise for a few minutes and don't remake with each other or someone needs to leave. I just thought it was rude and awful to boot a player for something they are entitled to do.

A strong and powerful guild system should fix a lot of this. Guilds I've been in, you would have NEVER screwed over a guild mate by hording anything or booting for frivilous reasons. There would have been serious consenquences. But, the fact is, it would have rarely, if ever come up. I'm so anxious for guilds to be implemented.

You mention that when needed you try to help lower level players instead of just immediately booting them. I think that is fantastic. I wish more players were like you. You're going to be a great member of the guild you join. And yeah, an honest, hard-working 48 trying his best would be great in a group. But, a 56 on elixirs would be great so long as he was there to help - not hurt - the group.

pastrychef
08-05-2011, 02:39 AM
I agree about the rings. I'd love to see some higher level ones. I also remember reading about the game engine already having support for amulets. Implementing this would surely help bring additional revenue. However, these will not help them get recurring revenue from players.

From what I've read, guilds are definitely coming and with it guild halls. Hopefully, there will be many options to deck out the halls with.

As I've said, you seem to have been more fortunate than I in your encounters with potters. the majority whom I've come across are basically selfish. It can get frustrating to run for an hour and get a total of 20-30 kills. It's worse when you inadvertently get killed once or twice.

I truly enjoy helping out newer players as long as they are willing to listen. There are far too many 50+ players who have no clue how to fight Gold Fever and spread the fever like the plague. I've fallen victim to these players far more than I care to remember. This is why when I do random runs with pugs, I often skip Hideout all together.

Uzikrabd
08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Honestly i just buy a few gold xp elixirs when doing runs so i dont need 20 more runs to level and why not make secret rooms with better loot and maybe a special hard boss that gives purps and pinks that are rare