PDA

View Full Version : Dragged back - newb seeking advice

Aftermath
07-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Hi!

I'm relatively new here. I love the game, and I've got a newb's question to ask.
I'm playing as the archer-class, and I've repeatedly found myself being "dragged-back" to the opponents, while trying to run away. This repeatedly happens with the two-handed sword enemies in "Balefort Castle" and "Lost expedition". The small yetis (especially the ice-shooting ones) also tend to do it.
Most annoying of all are the Crocs (the ones in the swamp and in PvP however...every time they attack, I seem magically teleported to their location, despite me being a long way away! Most of my deaths in the dungeons are due to those damned Crocs, and PvP is just plain impossible.

Is this because of lag? My ping is around 200, and I have no idea if that's good or bad (probably bad). Or is it part of the game? If it is, what causes it, and how can I avoid it?

cuard
07-25-2011, 06:53 AM
ok first your ping is alright, as for you being "dragged back" as you put it Ill start with the yetis well of course ur not "Dragged back" with them they just shot ice to make it to where you cant run. Also for the others i find myself teleported back to oppoents when a oppoent hits me while running away so that might just be the case for you as well...

Aftermath
07-25-2011, 07:01 AM
No, the yetis didn't freeze me, they just pulled me back. I'm sure of that. It also manages to happen with the Enchantresses in Alien Oasis Part 1.
[EDIT]: Still looking for the reason for teleporting. The weird thing is, when I tried it out in PvP with a bear, it never seems to work. And no, the I don't mean when a Bear uses Beckon, I know very well what happens when they use it :)

cuard
07-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Yea if ur in range of that opponet then it pulls you back really with mages and stuff that can shot!
You have got me confused i dont really know what ur asking now even thou i pretty much played this game since beta

Aftermath
07-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Yea if ur in range of that opponet then it pulls you back really with mages and stuff that can shot!
Sorry, but I have no idea what you mean.

I'll make it clear: I manage to get dragged back against the smaller yetis, two-fisters, some mages, and most notably of all, crocs and PvP. I'm asking if this is a glitch, part of the game, or lag, and how I can avoid it no matter which of the three it is.

cuard
07-25-2011, 07:28 AM
its a prt of the game

Ellyidol
07-25-2011, 07:33 AM
For 3 of the specific mobs you mentioned, 2handed rogues, little yetis and the crocs, I know for sure that those have some kind of rubber-band effect on their normal attacks, I've asked this same question before too.

In PvP, it might depend on what weapon they were using. I've had times that I get rubber-banded and times that I take damage while constantly moving, I'm not quite sure what actually causes it.

But be assured that its not some kind of bug, it's how the game works. I can't really tell you exactly what causes it, but you'll get used to it :)

PS. I know the mage type aliens in AO3 do this too, so be sure to watch out ;)

Aftermath
07-26-2011, 08:31 AM
So its part of the game. For pvp, I think you are right, weapon does affect it. Maybe two handed weapons do it? Id still like to see confirmation on what exactly causes it though.

Tamino
07-26-2011, 08:48 AM
My evaluation is the drag-back is part of lagging phenomenon. When you are lagging because of poor communication channel, the client on your phone continues to record and handle your commands (your position changes, the skills you cast) but it isn't able to transmit them to the server. You, apparently, went 10ft forward, but server side your position was unchanged.

When the lag ceases, client and server reconcile their data. If nothing happened to your toon server side, the client simply trasmits all buffered commands, you found yourself at the new position and casting all skills in sequence (almost no GCD!). If you suffered some damage from server's point of view (a mob hit you, or a firetrap exploded near you), the reconciliation is suspended at the point of damage - you found yourself like dragged back and hit.

If you experience very large lagging (in some case I remain suspended 20-60 seconds, when my train goes in a tunnel), if you continue to walk you can found yourself dragged back by an half map.

Arterra
07-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Yes, that is what happens withr regular lagg.
However, there are mons and weapon types that seem to refuse to let you move away. Think of it as a mini-stun/root. Best thin to do when caught by one o these two handed rouges is to knock them back and adjust your kiting range.

Aftermath
07-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Lag or part-of-game? Im confused. Actually, it turns out that 200 ping was a one-off. My ping is actually double that, sound 400. Bad or mega-bad?

Conradin
07-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Lag or part-of-game? Im confused. Actually, it turns out that 200 ping was a one-off. My ping is actually double that, sound 400. Bad or mega-bad?

hahaha 120,000 ping disconects you. However 200-400 isnt bad at all. I normally play at 500-1k ping which sucks in pvp. But yes- pull-backs are a pain.

side note, do you guys ever glitch without ping? Ping can be green level but the game is lagging.

Register
07-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Its part of da game! I had it a lot in LE and swamps but less and less in ao1 and on. Bosses seem to always do it. Sometimes it takes a few tries but you can get away from the boss.

EDIT: Con, I had that too! My ping is usually green(nless a lag spike) but I would have a laggy game. Also, I got over 120ka few days ago!! I got to like 120,010 xD