PDA

View Full Version : Be a sport! Help your team out!

GongKilluminati
07-29-2011, 02:18 AM
I've played PL for quite some time now. I have 2 characters over lvl50, and during this time I've seen many different play styles for the three different classes.

This is my opinion on what is right and what is wrong

Bear Playstyles:

1. Be the first one into the battlefield, get the enemies to be focused on you instead of the birds and mages on your team. (This is in my opinion of what a bear should do everytime he plays, take advantage of your extra health, armour, and beckon abilities to make way for your teamates to use their combos and skill.)

2. Be the bear that nobody notices. You are invisable, you don't use your skills because you don't want to waste mana. You don't rush in first because you don't want to die. (Bears that play like this gets on my nerves, even lvl50+ bears play like this, it seems like they expect the mage to rush in first with mana shield and tank everything.)

Bird Playstyles:

1. Be the first to debuff the enemy. Birds have very powerful skills that can debuff and do massive damage to the enemy. Trust in your mage that he/she will heal and/or revive you. Trust in your bear that he/she will take the attention away from you so you don't concentrate on spamming hp ppts when you can do damage to enemies. (Every bird should play like this, this is what birds were made to do.)

2. Be the bird that nobody notices. You only use the standard attack because you are afraid of being aggroed on by a boss. You don't go for the boss when your team are all attacking the boss, instead you attack the weaker enemies to avoid death. (I'd rather have a bear that does nothing than a bird that does nothing because atleast bears don't die that easily.)

Mage Playstyles:

1. Heal your teamates when they are hit, revive your teamates when they are down. Always keep an eye on your teamates' health, be ready to heal when someone's health goes down even a little bit. Revive your teamates, this is so important, don't wait for your teamates to say "res plz kind sir", revive them right away. If your teamates died them it is because they got aggroed on, if the enemies just killed your teamates, who are they going to kill next? YOU! So revive your teamates to avoid restarting over from the beginning of the map, and make every membet of your team hate you.

2. Afraid of using skills because they eat my mana away:(. (Mages have sh*t loads of hp and mp regen. Even if I spam all the skills I have I still have 3/4 mp left.)

Rant:
I love it when people wait at the entrance to mobs for others to go in first. THIS is the reason that my bird has 11k kills and 1k deaths, I always end up charging in headfirst even tho I am a dex bird. I'm sick and tired of watching people playing footsie with each other at the entrance to mobs while I rush and die. What makes it worse is that bears do this also.

I love it when people don't revive you. I was playing in Victory Lap today, me and another mage rushed into a mob and I died, I waited and waited for that green glow that surrounds your body and brings you back to life. Guess what? I never saw that green glow. So I said "res" to the mage, he said "say please", I assumed it was playful banter, until he he ran to the next area. So I ignored it and respawned myself back at the entrance. Later in the game the mage dies twice, I revive him both times without him/her sayiing anything. Then, I die, the mage doesn't revive me, decides to run off again. After that I rage quited, sat in my chair a for 5mins and started to ask myself why that mage won't revive you. Being a mage and not reviving people is like being a dog and not taking a piss on the first fire hydrant you see.

AFTER ALL THAT, I ask people to play smart and help your teamates out, makes thing go much faster.

Kakatoa91
07-29-2011, 04:24 AM
Guess you r unlucky to have had that so many bad experiences.

I always trust myself on my skills first b4 my team if I dun know them.
I tend to go on first line with bear/archer/mage all the time.
Just like to give the rythm. You can c then what kind of teammates you have if u r in an unknown party.
If they r far behind...
Change game at the end. Dont b sensitif for bad players. Just skip it.
But Its also good to show some of them how to properly play. Not everybody is a perfect or decent players anyway and they can always learn something from you.

Tamino
07-29-2011, 04:48 AM
Mage task is much more than heal/revive; at least Bless your team (BoM, BoV and hidden Revive bonus) and do AoE damage - most effective combos are in mage's hands.

Lowlyspy
07-29-2011, 04:54 AM
Sorry u have such bad luck finding people who are willing to risk a death or two, do u run with a lot of PUGS? id be happy to run with u if u ever need the extra healz :)

GongKilluminati
07-29-2011, 05:02 AM
Yea, I do a lot of PUGS
Just lvled my mage to lvl50 so I'm doing cyber quests **** now.

kinawarrior
07-29-2011, 07:48 AM
I'd like to add some of my own experiences from playing all 3 classes.

First off, my warrior is my main, and I played him for a year before even starting other classes.

I have 11k kills and 1k deaths or so, and actually (i have no idea where that 11k kills came from, used to be like 4k), so I don't mind dying. In fact, if you don't die on occasion, then you aren't doing your job right.

If I have a good group, then I'll rush ahead and pull in a chunk of mobs into the wall, walk out, stomp them intto the wall, then leave them and go to the next, let the dmg dealers clean them up. This makes the group constantly moving and constantly killing. Many times I won't even turn on auto attack until the boss mob.

If the group sucks, thenI have to stay and help kill, which blows because I'm a warrior, I don't do damage.

If I join a group with another warrior already in the group, then I absolutely never take over the ranks as main tank, I let them do their thing, and I will either toss on bow or stay as board and sword in case he sucks. Two bears beckoning is hte worst thing in the world.

And, a bear stomping anywhere but into a wall is probably the 2nd worst thing in the world. What some bears fail to realize is you have a second or two to stomp from beckon to get the combo, it doesnt' have to be instant.

Now, that being said, unfortunately I take that play style to my dex bird as I am very impatient. I just go go go, and because my dex bird's gear is not that great, I die die die a lot. I havent' decided if this is better or worse for the team, but it is definately annoying. when i put on talon / shield, then I don't feel like a bird, I feel like some mutated off spring that does ok damage and doesn't die a lot.

For mages, you can literally spam every spell you have the entire map and be fine with mana. The only time you run out of mana is when you pop mana shield and get beat on a bit. I spam every spell I have on my mag, constantly, including heal. I'm not sure, again, if spamming heal is a good thing of if I should wait to heal (I guess I dont' spam it, I use judgement, but I probably cast it more than I should). I dont' spam rev for the hidden bonus because it isn't that great, and I like to have it available for when someone does die.

When it comes to dmg for mag, lightning, aoe cold, aoe fire, lightning, rinse repeat. Because lightning refreshes so fast, I sometimes forget about it and don't cast it as much as i should.

In my experience, all of this starts with the bear though. If you have a bad bear, then you have a bad group.

Whirlzap
07-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Since I know I can pretty much solo the sewer dungeon regular mobs, I'll just rush ahead and revive if I need to.

simnar_
07-29-2011, 09:03 AM
i like this guy lol

simnar_
07-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Since I know I can pretty much solo the sewer dungeon regular mobs, I'll just rush ahead and revive if I need to. dude, or chick, dont be a tool just give some constructive feed back and run along like everbody else

Tamino
07-29-2011, 09:24 AM
I dont' spam rev for the hidden bonus because it isn't that great, and I like to have it available for when someone does die.
True, but Revive hidden buff lasts one minute, and its cooldown time is 6 seconds, you just need to time it :)

kinawarrior
07-29-2011, 10:04 AM
I didn't realize it lasted a full minute, that makes it worthwhile.

GongKilluminati
07-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Yea, bears and mages are pretyu much the base of the group, birds are just a little added bonus to speed things along.

What is the added bonus for reviving? No clue that there was one O.o

Driazsomethingiforgot
07-29-2011, 02:55 PM
God I hate when bears pull a mob and then quickly stomp and send the flying luke wtf are you doing let the mage and bird use their AOE skills before you do that it makes mob killing so much easier but no there still many 50-56 bears think that they can kill a whole mob by doing that and the me as my bird can never get my crule blast combo off on more than 2 minions... Ulgh. I have 30k kills and 1.8k deaths and I say half is from stupid bears and the other half is from fire traps -_-

kinawarrior
07-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Haha, fire traps, man did they come as a surprise to me when I kept dying to them, when they barely dent m warrior. Quickly learned to stop and wait, which sucks hard core

Juliarulz
07-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Agree, a Mage never revived anyone when I was farming in a group one day

Register
07-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Ask Sam to move this to guides. this is pretty good! And I was pure dex but found that soo many bears didnt want to run in first or took forever (weird right? Cuz they all move at the same speed....)to get to the room. So I usually found myself tanking and wasting pots. So I switched to str dex. Yeah it has lower damage but its pretty good! But expensive...But dont let bad teams stop you! Maybe you should teach em! tell a bad bear to beckon and stomp into a wall. Tell mages that heal is aoe and will healk others. IMO birds are easy. They dont have am extra tag on them. Like tank heal and rez. Just buff, debuff, and combo. Pretty easy.

Fyrce
07-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Wooo... another one of these. I love these threads. There are all kinds of players and yes, lots of bad ones. I think I love PUGs for the sole reason that I have to play with new people and see if I'm up for it. Usually I'm good, even when the bear doesn't rush in and my mage has to (haha), or the bird doesn't do AOEs because he thinks the way to kill roach is kill trash cans, then use auto attack only, or the mage rushes about and doesn't rev as the whole teams goes down.

I kind of think it's a test to see if I can play better, survive better, do more damage, etc.

Of course, I don't friend them. I need some method to remind myself these aren't the really good teammates. More like soloists or your 5th player just to make a full group, but not anyone you can count on. I like the test but I don't need them to constantly find me :p

Course, then I end up in a good group and remember what combos and Megas are about. LOL. And then I do wait for the bears, because 3 bears working together and doing all the good things bears can do is just beautiful. And the bird and my mage combo up and the team Megas up... such pretty flames :)

And then I'm a bit sad that some of these soloists will never know the beauty of a perfectly flowing team.

GongKilluminati
07-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Just went on to get some totems in Victory Lap, there was this one mage with Cyber Wand Set that didn't do sh*t. Only revives when teammates are down, doesn't even heal, doesn't use skills. The whole team has mana below 1/2, and this person has full mana and hp. Even when fighting Keeper, the mage just auto attacks. I got too pissed off so I left. I want to throw my iPod at him/her.

Sometimes I try to nice and understanding, I be like "Okay, this person is new, I'll show them how to rush, when to use skills/buffs, etc." But when you are Lvl50+, I don't even know what to do anymore. I was dieing everytime our team fights a mob, I hoped me dieing 10 times in one game would give that mage some idea that he/she weren't doing their job, but, it didn't work.

rsimone
07-30-2011, 02:32 AM
actually played with a lvl56 mage that didn't heal, res, buff or debuff. I was the only bird getting hit hard by the boss and spamming pots. After the boss killed everyone I came back with mage. No use getting frustrated when joining random games. Just figure out a way to adjust or move on.