PDA

View Full Version : A Few Grammar Tips Before You Make a Post.

Zeus
08-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Okay, lately I have been frustrated with the lack of grammar on the forums. I'm not asking for much, but the simple period or comma makes a world of the difference when trying to read someone's ideas. So, to those that don't use it, please please try to. It will make it a world of difference to everybody and even helps you look more intelligent in your posts!

Just a few tips from elementary school.

Captalilzation: Put Capital Letters in the proper place. (See what I did there with the Caps? Irony heh.)

Periods: Put them at the end of every sentence and please don't make a run on sentence. The definition of a run on sentence is a sentence with TWO or more independent clauses. They can not be joined with however or a ",". Use either a ";" then continue writing your second sentence. (Think of the ";" as a period. You can also use a period.

Commas: Please use these, although they are not necessary, because they really really help! (That sentence is grammatically correct because the two commas on each end means the phrase in between can be taken out, as it is a side note. You read it without the side now and it makes sense! Use commas when having a fragment/dependent clause combined with an independent clause. You can not have a dependent clause combined with a dependent clause.

These are just a few tips; I am not trying to be a grammar nazi, but just a hint of grammar makes a world of difference when showing what you mean.

Let me show you an example:

A woman without her man is nothing.

A woman, without her, man is nothing.

Sorry to break it to the ladies, but we men know which one is the correct sentence.

Again, I ask, please please please try and take some of these rules in consideration. I realize my grammar is not the best either, but the point is to be able to have it skilled enough to communicate what you mean. For any other questions, feel free to PM me or even use Google Search!

This will also be good practice for helping y'all improve your grammar in school (for those that are in school). Before I came to the forums, my grammar was subpar, but now it has improved tremendously!

Dosumn1978
08-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Lawl on the chauvanism.

Zeus
08-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Lawl on the chauvanism.

I'm not being chauvinistic; I'm merely asking for simple period and commas. If you want to go above and beyond, that is fine by me. I'm not a grammarian by any sorts, but when on forums. Your words are your communication; you want to make them as clear as possible. I gave an example with what could happen without it. I have a funnier but less appropriate examples for the forums, if needed. Please, if you're going to troll (not sure if you were trying to), troll me in a PM, not on the thread.

Prest87
08-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Great example!:)

Zeus
08-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Great example!:)

I take it that you agree with me on the correct sentence, no? :D

Dosumn1978
08-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Not trolling...just kudos for the humor!

Zeus
08-01-2011, 08:53 PM

Ah, I see. I took chauvinism in the context that I was blindly preaching grammar tips. Language, you gotta hate on it. I say we all flame language.

Elyseon
08-01-2011, 08:55 PM
As long as I am on mobile, I will probably have several misspellings; most likely I will abbreviate 'you' to 'u'. Sry for my elementary abilities.

Silentarrow
08-01-2011, 08:55 PM
I agree, using the forums has greatly increased my grammar.

Zeus
08-01-2011, 08:57 PM
As long as I am on mobile, I will probably have several misspellings; most likely I will abbreviate 'you' to 'u'. Sry for my elementary abilities.

Now, I didn't mean it like that. I was hoping this wasn't going to be taken in the wrong context. I was merely stating examples like the following: "ahahahahaha my grammar is completely fine please dont make fun of it hahahahaha" I'm a teenager as well; I do texting language myself all the time. I did not mean it in this way.

Dosumn1978
08-01-2011, 08:57 PM

Ah, I see. I took chauvinism in the context that I was blindly preaching grammar tips. Language, you gotta hate on it. I say we all flame language.
I found the chauvanism in the sentence examples to be humorous. I agree wholeheartedly with proper grammar! I know how we can all get lost in translation.

Ellyidol
08-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks Parth! :)

My challenge has always been how to tell players to improve their grammar without sounding offensive or like grammar police, I'll refer them here next time :p

Orcish
08-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Wow Apollo, I must really get under your skin, especially when I'm on my phone (auto corrects, inserts, and I have a bad habbit of hitting enter only after the fact).

Zeus
08-01-2011, 09:00 PM
thanks parth! :)

my challenge has always been how to tell players to improve their grammar without sounding offensive or like grammar police, i'll refer them here next time :p

:D

/3

Beanmachine
08-01-2011, 09:01 PM
ohno its the grammar police CominG to Get yOu how is my grammar?
this is a excellent

Elyseon
08-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Ok, I, think, I, have, pretty, good, use, of, commas, :P

DawnInfinity
08-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Parth, thank you.. <3

WishUWereHere
08-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Personally, using and misusing commas online don't bother me. What does is using "your" and "you're" wrong.

Apollo are you in the USMC? i see you're from Oceanside.

Twinkman
08-01-2011, 09:10 PM
U dnt tell meh wat 2 do noob lol :banana:

Moogerfooger
08-01-2011, 09:11 PM
It's "chauvinism", people. Oh, sweet irony.

dcichoracki
08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
All joking aside, it is important to be mindful of potential readers. There are people on this forum for whom English is not the primary language. Misuse of punctuation, or lack thereof, can be detrimental to their understanding your post. Not to mention that if a dev is trying to reply to a bug you just posted, lack of punctuation can prevent their understanding whatever it is you're trying to say.

Lesrider
08-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Ahem. The proper examples are:

A woman, without her man, is nothing.
A woman: Without her, man is nothing.

:P

Breadkeeper
08-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Fail?

In my 15 Years of online gaming the ones crying about the grammer of posts are the most annoying. If you have nothing better to do besides correct peoples grammer on a gaming forum, i suggest taking a degree in teaching and go play with your grade 3 kids. (Not Inappropriately)
This is not a personal attack on you Apollo.

Just a basic get over it post.

CrimsonTider
08-01-2011, 09:34 PM
hI parf, I fought dis wuza gud posT to read and i Think ur vawy smaurt and. if you wood i Wod like to post upon ur postage, tank yu fow yo time,

:)

Sorry!! That was TOO easy!! I do agree with ya, bro!

Nourish
08-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Makes me mad to bro! I always put commas, periods, and whatever else in texts and it freaks my friends out. Hopefully this will knock some since into people!

Moogerfooger
08-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Grammer? Lolz. All in good fun :)

CrimsonTider
08-01-2011, 09:40 PM
makes me mad to bro! I always put commas, periods, and whatever else in texts and it freaks my friends out. Hopefully this will knock some sense into people!

oops!! :)

Swimmingstar
08-01-2011, 09:41 PM
I want to save time so i sometimes don't capital. don't have much time lol.

SUPAPRODIGY
08-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks teacher but i kinda wanna get out of school that't why it's called slang.

:banana:

Zeus
08-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Personally, using and misusing commas online don't bother me. What does is using "your" and "you're" wrong.

Apollo are you in the USMC? i see you're from Oceanside.

I'm 17 and still in high school. Heh.

I should just lock this thread; I should have foreseen the flames to come. I specifically stated I did not want to be a grammar nazi and all I asked for was a few simple periods. I just listed more stuff to be helpful. It's cool though, everybody is entitled to their own opinion and I'm not going to hold it against them.

Zeus
08-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Ahem. The proper examples are:

A woman, without her man, is nothing.
A woman: Without her, man is nothing.

:P

I agree to disagree with that post. HuMAN. MANkind. Les, all joking aside. I'm not a sexist by any means. :)

@Breadkeeper; I realize this wasn't a personal attack on me, but starting it off with "Fail?" made it seem like it. I wasn't asking for people's grammar to be immaculate, as mine isn't either. I just requested for a few parenthesis and commas every now and then. The additional information I listed is completely unnecessary.

Otukura
08-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Does anyone know why, sometimes when you quote people, everything turns to all lowercase? Drives me nuts when it turns a grammatically perfect post into something that looks like it's written by a 8yo.