PDA

View Full Version : Why powerleveling is bad

JaytB
08-04-2011, 08:37 PM
http://tapatalk.com/mu/54c021b5-4bde-5a7b.jpg

Nuff said...

Roasty
08-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Good! Now go back in time during April 2010, post this, and let everyone read this so that NOBODY EVER GETS POWER-LEVELED. You would believe all the times I've seen a player ask me (or someone else) if they can power level them. Twinks are a bit of an exception, but other than that...nahhhh ;)

Otukura
08-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Whoa.. AO1 or 2? I need to cry.

WishUWereHere
08-04-2011, 09:32 PM
although my memory sucks, i've never heard of becon.

i'm lvl 56.

Haikus
08-04-2011, 09:34 PM
although my memory sucks, i've never heard of becon.

i'm lvl 56.

Lmao. I was gonna say that. Had to read the comments to see if someone was a smartarse like me. Lol.

Point out the obvious.... I thought the skill was beckon? :o

Moogerfooger
08-04-2011, 09:37 PM
I was just on a Roachie run with two other 56s who sat on autoattack the whole time. All wiped gradually. Good times.

Haikus
08-04-2011, 09:43 PM
I was just on a Roachie run with two other 56s who sat on autoattack the whole time. All wiped gradually. Good times.

Maybe you joined in a "Who can be the biggest arse contest?" ;) I've seen some people tell a player who joins they are waiting on them for the boss, when the boss is dead and they are chatting. :rolleyes:

Btw, maybe he was just being a smart alack, like most of us are.

Roasty
08-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Can you tell us, as a whole, the benefits?

FYI, powerlevels may quit or practice, but they always fluctuate in. They are in every MMO, ever. Don't matter. Fact, not opinion.

Our proof is endless.

Let me guess, you are Iarmageddon?;)

:)

Let's get down to the facts, I got power-leveled from 30-50. You would not believe all the times I've been made fun of because of my crappy stats. That's why I deleted him then, but when I got lazy of leveling more characters, I just got a dev to restore him. Since then, I've been hiding my stats except my attribute points. Listen, you really don't wanna end up in the same road I've been in, it's a total NIGHTMARE!

Zeus
08-04-2011, 09:56 PM
There are a lot of players at end-game who have no idea what they are doing and have admitted to being power-leveled by higher-leveled players. Your game of twenty questions is not going to get you very far on this topic :D

I got powerleveled. Guess on which characters. xD

Roasty
08-04-2011, 09:57 PM

It's the "God of The Ocean"!

Guess the rest :cool:

Moogerfooger
08-04-2011, 09:58 PM

You also have 36 characters and know how to play and know what 'becon' is :p

Roc
08-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I think one of the main points is that even if someone was powerleveled at one time, they always have the ability to learn their character later on. Is this advisable? Maybe so, maybe not, but the choice is at the discretion of the player, ultimately. Do people in the group suffer from it? Sometimes, but there are plenty of people with bad/low stats that are still skilled with their characters even if at one time they were powerleveled. :)

Zeus
08-04-2011, 10:01 PM
You also have 36 characters and know how to play and know what 'becon' is :p

Bleh. I got powerleveled by our chipmunk smiler Asian that we all know, on Bodyguardz. I got powerleveled on Apollo from 25-28 I think. The rest I did myself. Elf Poseidon was powerleveled. Basically all my characters were.

JaytB
08-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Cheeto's mmmmm

Maaannn, now I'm hungry :/

WhoIsThis
08-04-2011, 10:25 PM
I appreciate somewhat of a sincere time in this post. But, how is it wrong? Where is it written or proved that is wrong? What makes anyone think that getting power leveled won't give some one a chance to learn their class? Can one person prove that using elixirs is bad for the game?

Because they will not take the time to understand the mechanisms behind the game and their class. One important thing to note is that as the game goes higher level, the difficulty level in general increases.

Elixirs certainly are not bad. Nobody would ever complain for example if someone were to use elixirs aggressively for the long grind from 55 to 56. What makes me think that they won't? Real in game results tell me that they won't. When I see mages that are level 55 who don't understand the concept of debuffing or who insist on using auto only, it's pretty easy to tell. Join a sewer PUG. More often than not, the results speak for themselves.

Full disclosure: Attackelf was my second char and is now my main. I was very aggressive in power-levelling and used elixirs from 25 to 50. The difference is, I took the time to carefully understand game mechanics before applying a power-levelling regimen to Attackelf and understanding mage tactics. The majority of characters I see power levelled do not. I don't consider myself to be an outstanding mage (I'm bad at PvP), but at the same time, I don't consider myself to be a bad mage either.

JaytB
08-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Because they will not take the time to understand the mechanisms behind the game and their class. One important thing to note is that as the game goes higher level, the difficulty level in general increases.

Elixirs certainly are not bad. Nobody would ever complain for example if someone were to use elixirs aggressively for the long grind from 55 to 56. What makes me think that they won't? Real in game results tell me that they won't. When I see mages that are level 55 who don't understand the concept of debuffing or who insist on using auto only, it's pretty easy to tell. Join a sewer PUG. More often than not, the results speak for themselves.

Full disclosure: Attackelf was my second char and is now my main. I was very aggressive in power-levelling and used elixirs from 25 to 50. The difference is, I took the time to carefully understand game mechanics before applying a power-levelling regimen to Attackelf and understanding mage tactics. The majority of characters I see power levelled do not. I don't consider myself to be an outstanding mage (I'm bad at PvP), but at the same time, I don't consider myself to be a bad mage either.

Couldn't have said it any better than this. I thought everybody on the forums knew this though... Guess I was wrong :)

Aikiebo
08-04-2011, 10:30 PM
There are a lot of players at end-game who have no idea what they are doing and have admitted to being power-leveled by higher-leveled players. Your game of twenty questions is not going to get you very far on this topic :D

Apollo, it's not a game. People keep saying they have proof. But then never present any. This is important. That pic is, well, it needs some explanation. It doesn't have anything to do with elixirs/power leveling. I think that is obvious to people. Anyone who power levels to the point of not knowing how to play, yeah, well, duh, that was dumb. But that is the minority of players. And it won't take that long for them to learn. Your going to tell me that people who use elixirs are not going to know how to play and are going to be mocked and ridiculed to the point of having to hide their stats? Who is making this stuff up? Where us it documented or proven?

CrimsonTider
08-04-2011, 10:31 PM
This thread has accomplished two things:

1. My bears all died a little inside.

2. I have laughed so hard at some of the posts I cried! (Haikus... shut it!)

Zeus
08-04-2011, 10:33 PM
I guess my cheeto post got deleted. Devs must not like flaming hot cheetos :(. \

Aikiebo, I understand that your points. The reason everybody is making a big deal about your posts though is that people do not like the language that is being directed towards them. The profanity is unneeded. I'm sure you are mature enough to be able to make your point without loading the cuss gun. :).

EDIT: Crimson, did you like my flaming hot cheeto post? I want to do an experiment on that now. Is one likely to flame more if they eat flaming hot cheetos? If you see me flaming, y'all know what happened. :). (Yes, I'm being dead serious)

Moogerfooger
08-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Hey, you guys are still here??? Come on over to my place, I just made some scrumptious Becon-Lettuce-Tomato sammiches.

CrimsonTider
08-04-2011, 10:34 PM
The cuss gun?? Does it go "pew pew??"

EDIT: BLT'S!!!!!!!

Zerious
08-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Becon? That tasty stuff you put in your mouth in the morning?

Haikus
08-04-2011, 10:38 PM
This thread has accomplished two things:

1. My bears all died a little inside.

2. I have laughed so hard at some of the posts I cried! (Haikus... shut it!)

Lol. I don't even remember what I said or what was said. Everytime I went to read a page, a page would disappear. Lmao.

Hey, you guys are still here??? Come on over to my place, I just made some scrumptious Becon-Lettuce-Tomato sammiches.

Wait, if you are at my little sister's... and I don't have a sister. Then that means, ohhhwa boy.

Momma never told me about her. What's her name? Abigail? I bet it's Rachel. Where is she? Ask her if she wants some sammiches', as well.

JaytB
08-04-2011, 10:42 PM
EDIT: Crimson, did you like my flaming hot cheeto post? I want to do an experiment on that now. Is one likely to flame more if they eat flaming hot cheetos? If you see me flaming, y'all know what happened. :). (Yes, I'm being dead serious)

Be careful with that stomach of yours :p

WhoIsThis
08-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Apollo, it's not a game. People keep saying they have proof. But then never present any. This is important. That pic is, well, it needs some explanation. It doesn't have anything to do with elixirs/power leveling. I think that is obvious to people. Anyone who power levels to the point of not knowing how to play, yeah, well, duh, that was dumb. But that is the minority of players. And it won't take that long for them to learn. Your going to tell me that people who use elixirs are not going to know how to play and are going to be mocked and ridiculed to the point of having to hide their stats? Who is making this stuff up? Where us it documented or proven?

Very well, please offer us documentation of the benefits of power levelling beginners who don't understand game mechanics.

As for the image, well we have a fairly high level player who lacks basic knowledge about bears, their abilities, and their role in a group.

Aikiebo
08-04-2011, 10:46 PM
[Quote] Because they will not take the time to understand the mechanisms behind the game and their class. One important thing to note is that as the game goes higher level, the difficulty level in general increases. [Quote]

Who says they won't? You say latter on in this same post, that on one of you characters you did take the time to learn you class. OBVIOSLY, if taken to extremes (e.g. too many levels, exploits, abuses, not taking the time to do it correctly etc) that's not good. So the problem is not power leveling, the probkem is power keveling the wrong way.

[Quote] Elixirs certainly are not bad. Nobody would ever complain for example if someone were to use elixirs aggressively for the long grind from 55 to 56. What makes me think that they won't? Real in game results tell me that they won't. When I see mages that are level 55 who don't understand the concept of debuffing or who insist on using auto only, it's pretty easy to tell. Join a sewer PUG. More often than not, the results speak for themselves.[Quote]

No, they are not bad. We are the luckiest players to have them.

It don't take 50 gd levels to know how to debuff. If that is their problem (or similar in type or scope) the problem is NOT power leveling.

[Quote] Full disclosure: Attackelf was my second char and is now my main. I was very aggressive in power-levelling and used elixirs from 25 to 50. The difference is, I took the time to carefully understand game mechanics before applying a power-levelling regimen to Attackelf and understanding mage tactics. The majority of characters I see power levelled do not. I don't consider myself to be an outstanding mage (I'm bad at PvP), but at the same time, I don't consider myself to be a bad mage either.[QUOTE]

My point exactly!! You took the time to do it right. Power leveling is not the problem. Being stupid about it is (which you were not).

CrimsonTider
08-04-2011, 10:48 PM
OMG!! I missed the cheeto post!?!?!?!? But seriously, with stomach issues, the flaming ones may not be properly digested and cause you to blow out ur butthole if you fart. Just sayin!

JaytB
08-04-2011, 10:49 PM
OMG!! I missed the cheeto post!?!?!?!? But seriously, with stomach issues, the flaming ones may not be properly digested and cause you to blow out ur butthole if you fart. Just sayin!

Omg ROFL

Haikus
08-04-2011, 10:51 PM

Lmao. A human made arse jetpack.

/getsbackontopic

Nice find, Jaytb! *two thumbs up!!!*

Aikiebo
08-04-2011, 10:51 PM
I think one of the main points is that even if someone was powerleveled at one time, they always have the ability to learn their character later on. Is this advisable? Maybe so, maybe not, but the choice is at the discretion of the player, ultimately. Do people in the group suffer from it? Sometimes, but there are plenty of people with bad/low stats that are still skilled with their characters even if at one time they were powerleveled. :)

Exactly. There are plenty who were power leveled who are great players. There are plenty of, hmm, not so great players that were not power leveled. It's all a question of how, why, who, and were they stupid about it or smart.

Zerious
08-04-2011, 10:52 PM

I got flamin hot funyuns, which are hotter IMO, and I'm not flamy at all.... Must be because of my mom's cooking... Mexican diets have their plus sides :)

WhoIsThis
08-04-2011, 10:53 PM

My point exactly!! You took the time to do it right. Power leveling is not the problem. Being stupid about it is (which you were not).

You can't really cite me as an example. Attackelf was my second character and I already had a level 50 (then level cap) character.

I don't suppose you've every heard of the term "confirmation bias"? You are determined to find arguments that support your position and reject all opposing ones, often without consideration the implications of what has been said. I can confidently say that every player on this thread so far that has replied plays their main better than I play Attackelf. But those that power level who do take the time to learn properly are a minority. Going back to my early question, how many players understand the concept of a "debuff" at level 55? How many could tell you that a critical hit does twice as much damage? How many birds could tell you how much blinding shot debuffs a target's hit% and how it scales?

Most people do not take the time to do it "right". Power levelling contributes in no small way. Most players who are powerlevelled would not be able to tell you about their class, their role in a class, and how each of the abilities contributes to that role.

As the game progresses, the levels become more and more difficult, which means that there is less and less room for error or underperforming-players. That's why it is so important that players understand the basics at a low level. Power levelling allows them to circumvent this entirely and dilute the overall player skill level at the end game.

Otukura
08-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Exactly. There are plenty who were power leveled who are great players. There are plenty of, hmm, not so great players that were not power leveled. It's all a question of how, why, who, and were they stupid about it or smart.

There are also plenty that hit cap, and took months to learn. Not going to name names, but one person who I know really well, and talk to a lot hit 55 with 4.2k kills. He was horrible(he knows), and has upwards of 30k kills now. Great player.

That period that they take to learn they'll be damaging their group. What we're trying to encourage is to learn how you're supposed to, playing through the game.

Aikiebo
08-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Couldn't have said it any better than this. I thought everybody on the forums knew this though... Guess I was wrong :)

Exactly, what are you saying here? That the forums are for only a certain group of forum members? That not everyone is welcome unless they agree with a handful of senior members? This anti-power leveling stance flies in the face of what the devs are trying to do to help the game succeed. So, is the forums open to everyone our not?

CrimsonTider
08-04-2011, 11:00 PM
There are also plenty that hit cap, and took months to learn. Not going to name names, but one person who I know really well, and talk to a lot hit 55 with 4.2k kills. He was horrible(he knows), and has upwards of 30k kills now. Great player.

That period that they take to learn they'll be damaging their group. What we're trying to encourage is to learn how you're supposed to, playing through the game.

Listen, I know I suck at mage but to call me out is just wrong!! ;) I'm having too much fun tonight! LOL

JaytB
08-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Exactly, what are you saying here? That the forums are for only a certain group of forum members? That not everyone is welcome unless they agree with a handful of senior members? This anti-power leveling stance flies in the face of what the devs are trying to do to help the game succeed. So, is the forums open to everyone our not?

I'll give you some free advice... Stop taking things so personal :)

Although you might want to work a bit on how to express yourself in a mature way, I got your point. Not that I agree, but I got it.

WhoIsThis
08-04-2011, 11:02 PM

On the contrary, the reason why the devs implemented minimum levels for each series of dungeons was to prevent power levelling.

Opinions contrary to the mainstream consensus are welcome, but your dismissive attitude has clearly ruffled a few feathers.

Otukura
08-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Listen, I know I suck at mage but to call me out is just wrong!! ;) I'm having too much fun tonight! LOL

I wasn't talking about you!!

Aikiebo
08-04-2011, 11:05 PM
[Quote] Aikiebo, I understand that your points. The reason everybody is making a big deal about your posts though is that people do not like the language that is being directed towards them. The profanity is unneeded. I'm sure you are mature enough to be able to make your point without loading the cuss gun. :).[Quote]

My bad, I'll cut that out. Only, did it cause thought was ok, cuz of the complaints about censored guild chat. I saw that very long thread. I thought people were ok with it. But if not, I will certainly end it. If anyone was offended, I apoligize!

Haikus
08-04-2011, 11:07 PM

Their is also plenty of power levelers who are not so great players, and plenty of great players that were not powerleveled.

It just beats me, and rattles my brain that you are so set on pro- powerleveling, and not be open to others opinions.

WhoIsThis
08-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Their is also plenty of power levels who are not so great players, and plenty of great players that were not powerleveled.

It just beats me, and rattles my brain that you are so set on pro- powerleveling, and not be open to others opinions.

:

The thing is, what percentage of power levelled players turn out to be outstanding players? What percentage of players who did not turn power level turn out to be outstanding?

ZHEOTARE
08-04-2011, 11:12 PM

I helped power level Bodyguardz the last 4k till 56. Does that count?? Haha!!

Haikus
08-04-2011, 11:13 PM
The thing is, what percentage of power levelled players turn out to be outstanding players? What percentage of players who did not turn power level turn out to be outstanding?

We can't find that out, because you honestly can't know if someone powerleveled unless they tell you. Even then, they could be lying. You can look at stats and this and that, all you want, but you will never actually know. From what I've noticed the ones with high kills, and a 2-3k death count usually play very well and those with a less than 10k kill count and less than 1k death count don't play well. Just slight observation. Then again, powerlevelers (that look the part), seem to be a hindrance, more than beneficial.

Paar
08-04-2011, 11:15 PM
I agree 10000000000%(:

Aikiebo
08-04-2011, 11:19 PM
[Quote] Very well, please offer us documentation of the benefits of power levelling beginners who don't understand game mechanics.

As for the image, well we have a fairly high level player who lacks basic knowledge about bears, their abilities, and their role in a group.[QUOTE]

1. I am going to. But it will be tomoriw or the next day. People have no idea how hard it is to use this app. I am never able to user search function, I can't click on links, and every time I post in a thread, to go back and read other comments, I hve to go out, force close, then renter the app, then find the thread. Sorry, I am trying.

I'm not trying to flame. It may seem like that, but I'm not.

2. The pic needs further explanation before it can be taken seriously.

3. It had nothing too do with power leveling.

4. The bear was asked if he had heard of "becon", who had heard of becon. If you had asked me that, I would have said no, too. (wait.... Maybe it was my name blacked out, lol, jk).

5. Even if this bear didn't know about beckon, which is so unlikely, that has nothing to do with power leveling!!

Redbridge
08-04-2011, 11:31 PM
If someone' going to the fridge can you get me another cold one....

:cool:

JaytB
08-04-2011, 11:34 PM
2. The pic needs further explanation before it can be taken seriously.
It was never meant to be taken seriously

3. It had nothing too do with power leveling.
He told me he power lvled all the way, he was using elix at that time too.

4. The bear was asked if he had heard of "becon", who had heard of becon. If you had asked me that, I would have said no, too. (wait.... Maybe it was my name blacked out, lol, jk).
I was speaking with him before I even mentioned 'becon'. I told him he had to pull the enemies towards the wall. When he didn't know what skill to use for that, I asked the question in the screenshot. Should've been pretty clear by then that I didn't mean 'beacon' or some player called 'Becon'

5. Even if this bear didn't know about beckon, which is so unlikely, that has nothing to do with power leveling!!
As said, he told me himself he was powerleveled. I even brought in my bear afterwards, to show him how to use skills properly. So yeah, in this case it had everything to do with powerleveling.

Aikiebo
08-04-2011, 11:45 PM
[Quote]You can't really cite me as an example. Attackelf was my second character and I already had a level 50 (then level cap) character.[Quote]

Ok yeah, I didnt get the part that this one that thid was talking about was a second character. Was this second one, the same class? It doesnt really matter weather same class or first or second. What matters is that you took the time to do it right. Proving that there us a right way and a wrong way. Thats my point. Well, one of them.

[Quote] I don't suppose you've every heard of the term "confirmation bias"? You are determined to find arguments that support your position and reject all opposing ones, often without consideration the implications of what has been said. [Quote]

I don't have to find arguments to prove my point. I already know them. My questions so far are to people who keep making statements that are posing as facts and really are just that person's opinion. Which people are entitled to. But opinions and facts are two different things.

[Quote] But those that power level who do take the time to learn properly are a minority. Going back to my early question, how many players understand the concept of a "debuff" at level 55? How many could tell you that a critical hit does twice as much damage? How many birds could tell you how much blinding shot debuffs a target's hit% and how it scales? [Quote]

1. How do you know that they are in the minority? This is what I am adking, what us your proof? Yes, I see that this us you opinion. Great. But, where is the facts to back thst up.

2. The three questions that you asked. I know the answer to the fitst two. And in this game (and this game only), I have power leveled myself using elixirs. So, once again, if someone at a high level don't know basic our advanced stuff, it doesn't have anything to do with power leveling.

Btw, on the third question, I would know how to learn that answer if i needed to. Even if I was to level a bird using elixirs. And I have been power leveled (as described above). So bad players are not the result of power leveling but a result of not taking the time to learn what they need to learn.

Moogerfooger
08-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Using elixirs is not automatically the same thing as powerleveling. Powerleveling usually means a lower lvl player tagging along with a higher level player, hanging back and getting xp while the higher level player does the work, so to speak. Yes, the power-level-ee can use an elixir to speed up the process even more while doing none of the work, but that is beside the point. "Power leveled" as Jay meant it had ZERO to do with elixirs...guaranteed. Powerleveled players means to the majority of people on the forums are players who don't know how to utilize their skills as best as they can because they never bothered to learn them as they tagged along behind a high lvl player doing all the work. Again, zero to do with elixirs, in spirit.

Otukura
08-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Pst, if you make the second quote [/Quote] it will display properly, not just as BB code. For future reference, don't go back and change them. Too much work.

Aikiebo
08-05-2011, 12:01 AM

I'll give you some free advice... Stop taking things so personal :)

Although you might want to work a bit on how to express yourself in a mature way, I got your point. Not that I agree, but I got it.

JaytB, how was this immature? On the cussing thing I have already explained, that I thought people were okay with cussing cuz of what I read in that long thread about peope complaining about censored guild chat. I.ve apologized and agreed to cut it out.

Btw 1. it was one post where I used an abbreviation for a common cuss word, 2. The one with the three asterisks, I put the asterisks in. 3. Ive seen at least one other faked cuss word in this thresd by someone else. 4. Do the anti-power leveling people need to rely on this to try to prove their point or beat a dissenting opinion down? 5. In this post, where was I immature? 6. You get my point, but you don't agree, what do you disagree with? (im referring to this post that we are on right now, not pl in general).

Aikiebo
08-05-2011, 12:16 AM
[Quote]On the contrary, the reason why the devs implemented minimum levels for each series of dungeons was to prevent power levelling.
[Quote]

1. No, that is not why minimum levels were instituted.

2. Minimum levels were implemented to stop the ABUSE of power leveling.

3. It was an exploit that needed to end.

4. Power leveling has not been prevented by the devs. High levels can still go into dungeons and help level faster. (not generally the best easy in this game)

5. The best way to power level, as we all know, is with elixhirs. Obviously, that is not being discouraged.by the devs.

[Quote] Opinions contrary to the mainstream consensus are welcome, but your dismissive attitude has clearly ruffled a few feathers.[QUOTE]

Not tryng to be dismissive. Read the fitst comments that was addressed to me. One was almost rude. But the picture is questionable without lots more info. And the WAY the pic was presented in the post set a very poor tone and helped to get this thread off on the wrong footing. Actually, the commrnt addressed to me was rude, but he may not have trying to be rude, just trying to make his point, idk.

JaytB
08-05-2011, 12:22 AM
And the WAY the pic was presented in the post set a very poor tone and helped to get this thread off on the wrong footing. Actually, the commrnt addressed to me was rude, but he may not have trying to be rude, just trying to make his point, idk.

The only one setting a poor tone and getting this thread off on the wrong footing was you IMO

Aikiebo
08-05-2011, 12:26 AM
[Quote]It just beats me, and rattles my brain that you are so set on pro- powerleveling, and not be open to others opinions. [QUOTE]

I completely agree that a lot of times when some people are power leveled. It don't turn out too good, lol. But what just beats me, and rattles my brain is that the anti-power leveling people are not open to other opinions and keep presenting personsl opinions as facts with no facts to back it up. Cuz, yeah sometimes it don't turn out too good, but someones it turns out great.

But, I have said several times, that power leveling (like anything else) when done the wrong way, is very bad.

JaytB
08-05-2011, 12:34 AM
But what just beats me, and rattles my brain is that the anti-power leveling people are not open to other opinions and keep presenting personsl opinions as facts with no facts to back it up.

The same can be said about you. You just fail to see why so many people are against it. And as for the 'facts', did you present anything other than your own opinion?

zuesmirza
08-05-2011, 12:40 AM
I got powerleveled1 to 50 only 2k kills

Lesrider
08-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Just had to point out...
This forum is run by the same folks who made the games. If they're not ok with foul language in-game, what make you think they'd be ok with it here?

JaytB
08-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Just had to point out...
This forum is run by the same folks who made the games. If they're not ok with foul language in-game, what make you think they'd be ok with it here?

Maybe he's used to playing o&c :p Devs on their forum are virtually non-existent, as far as I heard.

Lesrider
08-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Maybe he's used to playing o&c :p Devs on their forum are virtually non-existent, as far as I heard.

Lol yeah I got a post edited and got a warning bc I assumed they didn't care about language -- since they don't do anything about it in-game. But he said he read the whole thread about the censor -- so he knows how the devs here feel about it. That's what got me scratching my head.

Aikiebo
08-05-2011, 01:02 AM
Using elixirs is not
automatically the same thing as powerleveling. Powerleveling usually means a lower lvl player tagging along with a higher level player, hanging back and getting xp while the higher level player does the work, so to speak. Yes, the power-level-ee can use an elixir to speed up the process even more while doing none of the work, but that is beside the point. "Power leveled" as Jay meant it had ZERO to do with elixirs...guaranteed. Powerleveled players means to the majority of people on the forums are players who don't know how to utilize their skills as best as they can because they never bothered to learn them as they tagged along behind a high lvl player doing all the work. Again, zero to do with elixirs, in spirit.

People keep trying to alter the definition of power keveling to try to , idk, like tryingto trick people into agreeing with them. I don't think they are doing this on purpose tho.

The definition of power leveling is simply using some method/technique to gain xp faster than you normally would. Can't narrow it to try to prove a point.

Elixhrs are the most obvious form of power leveling. All you have to do us read the description of each elixhir. STS has said that power leveling is possible.

There are tons of ways to power level someone.

The method of following around some high level player, while he does all the killing and the lower level does basically nothing is (other than exploits and abuses) the most useless form of power leveling. And unless done for only a tiny percentage of a person's accent to top level could very well make it hard for him to play well. I would rarely recommend this. Like I said a few levels isn't gonna hurt or create a bad player. But, if your gonna do much, even elixhirs, don't be stupid about it. Take time to do it right.

Elyseon
08-05-2011, 01:05 AM
I got powerleveled to 50 w/ under 800 kills. How I see it is you should go through the game at least once slowly to enjoyed the great game the Devs made. If u want to get more characters to lvl I see nothing wrong with having a friend help u out. Btw my main made it to 50 w/ over 8k kills

Riccits
when i leveld xcarver (AO2 times) i didnt even know what becon is good for...
so it doesnt have always to do with powerleveling. if u dont read guides or asking ppl some skills may sounds strange and u dont use them

JaytB
Lol yeah I got a post edited and got a warning bc I assumed they didn't care about language -- since they don't do anything about it in-game. But he said he read the whole thread about the censor -- so he knows how the devs here feel about it. That's what got me scratching my head.

Ow so they DO read their threads O.o
I would've assumed the same thing, seeying the profanity used in the game. I played for a couple of hours only, but some things I read were just... nasty, to say the least.

On topic, you got a point there... *scratches head*

Aikiebo
08-05-2011, 01:09 AM
And the WAY the pic was presented in the post set a very poor tone and helped to get this thread off on the wrong footing. Actually, the commrnt addressed to me was rude, but he may not have trying to be rude, just trying to make his point, idk.

The only one setting a poor tone and getting this thread off on the wrong footing was you IMO

The commrnt that I'm referring to here was not made by u. I'm not saying you were being rude.

Lesrider
08-05-2011, 01:10 AM
when i leveld xcarver (AO2 times) i didnt even know what becon is good for...
so it doesnt have always to do with powerleveling. if u dont read guides or asking ppl some skills may sounds strange and u dont use them

Lol we both were such noob bears when we met. I didn't know what people meant by "aggro" -- kept looking for the skill called "aggro" lol. And I had only one point in beckon bc it seemed so useless from the description. So when people told me to use it, it never did much. That was before I discovered the forums...

Edit: I suppose I have you to thank for my forum addiction :p

Haikus
08-05-2011, 01:24 AM
I completely agree that a lot of times when some people are power leveled. It don't turn out too good, lol. But what just beats me, and rattles my brain is that the anti-power leveling people are not open to other opinions and keep presenting personsl opinions as facts with no facts to back it up. Cuz, yeah sometimes it don't turn out too good, but someones it turns out great.

But, I have said several times, that power leveling (like anything else) when done the wrong way, is very bad.

To verify things, this was meant as a joke. That started out as a joke. That I'll be damned if I don't have it end as a joke. You were the one playing 20 questions. Not to come off as rude or anything, but we've been over this tons & tons of times. No one presented anything as facts, we gave personal experiences. That's all we can base this from. Your point is valid, just as the rest of ours. We can go on & on about this... On a what was suppose to be a joke thread.

I'm tired.

Sooo, how about those arse jetpacks?:p

Night, thread. Hope you lose the serious, in the morning.

WhoIsThis
08-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Ok yeah, I didnt get the part that this one that thid was talking about was a second character. Was this second one, the same class? It doesnt really matter weather same class or first or second. What matters is that you took the time to do it right. Proving that there us a right way and a wrong way. Thats my point. Well, one of them.

A person who has a second character already has an understanding of the game mechanics (hopefully). You are missing my point. I am the exception NOT the rule. People who are powerlevelled seldom take the time to do it "right". As I said, you are guilty of confirmation bias.

I don't have to find arguments to prove my point. I already know them. My questions so far are to people who keep making statements that are posing as facts and really are just that person's opinion. Which people are entitled to. But opinions and facts are two different things.

In other words, you are so convinced that you are correct that you appear to be unwilling to listen to any counterarguments.

So bad players are not the result of power leveling but a result of not taking the time to learn what they need to learn.

Correlation and causation are of course, 2 very different beasts. But from my experiences, there is a very strong correlation between players that are power leveled and players that do not take the time to learn.

I see no further purpose in continuing this debate. It is clear that your arguments will not persuade this community and that my arguments will not persuade you.

Sorcererssoul
08-05-2011, 02:32 AM
Its not really the power lvling part, its more the part of people being too lazy too learn their job.
What ellyidols video 1 time, read some guides and your an fine tank right?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my chars are not power lvled, i took my time to raise them lol

davidis57
08-05-2011, 02:49 AM
I am a big opponent of power leveling. I had over 7-8 characters at different times testing builds. I did not want to respec them and spend Platt so I deleted. Not all characters were 55-56. A few were 25-30 and others over 40. My bird was my first character I made and eventually got it to 55 and half way to 56. My mage I took to 55 was the last mage I made. None of my characters were power leveled. Some I did less quests but I always would join groups and level. This is the best way to learn besides the forums. No one should need to power level cause its not hard in groups.

PL Characters Timbabird-55 Oldsillymage-55 SL Character Oldblaster-20

JaytB
08-05-2011, 03:11 AM
I see no further purpose in continuing this debate. It is clear that your arguments will not persuade this community and that my arguments will not persuade you.

I agree. We tried to make our point and he tried to make his... Let's leave it at that :)

On a lighter note... Parth, are you ok? You disappear after you said you were going to eat these flaming cheeto's. Hope your stomach didn't collapse :/

Sorcererssoul
08-05-2011, 04:04 AM
On a lighter note... Parth, are you ok? You disappear after you said you were going to eat these flaming cheeto's. Hope your stomach didn't collapse :/
Lawl :D

JaytB
08-05-2011, 04:30 AM
Lawl :D

Kewl :D (inside joke)

Kraze
08-05-2011, 05:21 AM
I am a big opponent of power leveling. I had over 7-8 characters at different times testing builds. I did not want to respec them and spend Platt so I deleted. Not all characters were 55-56. A few were 25-30 and others over 40. My bird was my first character I made and eventually got it to 55 and half way to 56. My mage I took to 55 was the last mage I made. None of my characters were power leveled. Some I did less quests but I always would join groups and level. This is the best way to learn besides the forums. No one should need to power level cause its not hard in groups.

Agreed when 45 was the cap I had 9 chars at the cap. One of each class at all three specs. No power leveling no elixirs. So it always makes me a little sad to a level 56 archer with 3k kills 100 deaths and does not know how to combo. But more importantly I'm more sad I missed out on all the lols that got sent to wherever the put fnord.

CrimsonTider
08-05-2011, 06:02 AM
I agree. We tried to make our point and he tried to make his... Let's leave it at that :)

Two words: Butthole explosion (a.k.a. arse jetpack malfunction)

:P

GELLIO77
08-05-2011, 07:16 AM
lol this thread isnt a debate any more :)

Aikiebo
08-12-2011, 05:52 PM

First off, I want to apoligize for taking so long to get back to this thread. I don't have pc at home and can only user library computers for 1 1/2 hours a day. I'm working and focusing on a few posts that will further explain what I am saying about power leveling. But, it's been almost a week so i wanted to at least make some shorter comments on this thread.

I am open to other opinions when someone points out something that i'd never thought about or makes me alter my opinion. I think everyone holds onto their opinions until there hear something that makes them change their mind. That's what debate/discussion is all about. In another thread about power leveling, a member made a point that made me alter my belief. It was something I hadn't thought of and I believe he is correct.

Yeah, I guess it's safe to say that I am in favor of power leveling. That is because I have seen hundreds of cases where it has been beneficial and has made players and the game better.

Aikiebo
08-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Using elixirs is not automatically the same thing as powerleveling. Powerleveling usually means a lower lvl player tagging along with a higher level player, hanging back and getting xp while the higher level player does the work, so to speak. Yes, the power-level-ee can use an elixir to speed up the process even more while doing none of the work, but that is beside the point. "Power leveled" as Jay meant it had ZERO to do with elixirs...guaranteed. Powerleveled players means to the majority of people on the forums are players who don't know how to utilize their skills as best as they can because they never bothered to learn them as they tagged along behind a high lvl player doing all the work. Again, zero to do with elixirs, in spirit.

I understand what you are saying, when u say that in the way that some players use the term "power leveling" they dont mean elixirs. That they mean this one way when a player just follows around a high level, etc. as u described above. I think this prob may be causing some of the tention in these threads. When I'm using the term I'm referring to all the different methods including elixirs. All methods have good points and most have at least one bad point. But all are useful when done correctly. Just some more useful than others. We are so lucky to have elixrs. They have virtually no down side to them and are really doing a lot to make this game even more fun than it already is.

As I said, there are many ways to power level someone. Some people keep acting like power leveling was invented in Pocket Legends. Power leveling simply means to use some method or device to increase the rate of xp so that u level up faster.

People are attributing "bad playing" to power leveling even tho it rarely had anything to do with power leveling.

Snakespeare
08-12-2011, 06:35 PM
There are two words that people keep mixing up: leeching and power-leveling. Because people use XP elixirs when they leech, XP elixir usage has acquired some of the negativity associated with leeching. But these terms refer to two different things.

Leeching means getting drops or XP as a result of someone else's efforts. Generally someone high level joins someone low level in a low level map and does all the killing. The lowbie gets drops and XP but no kills.

Power-leveling refers to ANY means of acquiring XP quickly. But it is most often done by taking elixirs and killing only mobs together with four others who are on the same plan, skipping the boss, and remaking.

Everyone who runs in a group does some form of moderate leeching. The only way to avoid leeching is to play solo. This is not a problem.

Everyone who plays when the threat bubble is red is doing a moderate form of power-leveling. The only way to avoid that is to play in the level with white threat bubbles. This is also not a problem.

The only problem is when new players leech their way, with help from high level players, through the learning levels to the tricky zones. The reason is obviously because they don't learn the fundamentals.

But power-leveling is not in itself bad. Once you complete your quests in a zone and you are ready for the next one, but not high enough to go there, you should power-level by using elixirs.

Aikiebo
08-12-2011, 06:41 PM
But what just beats me, and rattles my brain is that the anti-power leveling people are not open to other opinions and keep presenting personsl opinions as facts with no facts to back it up.

The same can be said about you. You just fail to see why so many people are against it. And as for the 'facts', did you present anything other than your own opinion?

I see and can understand other players beliefs. I just disagree with the conclusions that are being drawn - at least for the most part. There was an earlier time in this game when really low levels were going into high level dungeons, running around not being useful at all, and leveling up super fast. The devs put an end to this - months ago. This is a fact, right? All that actually happened. It's the conclusions that some players are drawing based on that fact that I disagree with. Mainly: the idea that all or a lot or even more than a tiny percentage of "bad playing" is because of power leveling. It's at that point we disagree.

As far as the idea that I havn't presented a lot of facts either, I agree with you. I have explained in part why that is so and what im planning on doing about it. I am using swype on a device that the forum app is not working properly, I have no pc so have to use library pc for less than two hours a day. Additionally, this month we are moving, trying to buy a car and I started school almost two weeks ago. I am writing posts as fast as I can. And, as I have said, I apologize for the long delays tween posts.

Snakespeare
08-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Again, you guys are arguing because you are not agreeing on the definitions of your terms. Allow me to quote the great Master Kung: “If language is not correct, then what is said is not what is meant; if what is said is not what is meant, then what must be done remains undone; if this remains undone, morals and art will deteriorate; if justice goes astray, the people will stand about in helpless confusion. Hence there must be no arbitrariness in what is said. This matters above everything.”

CanonicalKoi
08-12-2011, 06:46 PM
I haven't seen "hundreds of cases where it has been beneficial and has made players and the game better". Just looking at the face of it, it makes no sense.

Here we have Player A...he's leveled up in the "normal" way (running dungeons in order, doing quests, whatnot). He has played his char a metric boatload of times with all sorts of groups of people and with all sorts of skill levels. He's done trial and error to see what works for him and has been exposed to others with the same char-type and seen how they play. There's a chance that he'll still be terrible at his character, no matter how much he plays, but unless he's terrifically silly, he'll either realize that that char is just not his style and switch or he'll ask a higher level player of the same char-type to show him a few things or he'll quit. If he stays and is still awful, well, word gets around.

Here we have Player B. He either has a friend who's been playing a while and offers to power-level him or he pays, but he basically plays kite-tail to someone to get his XP. He doesn't have a chance to try things out--stuff is pretty much dead before he can lay a hand on it. He hasn't played with a wide range of people or seen other playing styles because he's sticking with his "mentor". He might ask the leveler some questions, but there's no guarantee that the person leveling him is playing or has ever played the same sort of char. He reaches level cap and....now what? He hasn't really been playing as a member of a group so he doesn't know what his role is. He may have not put skill points in where they'll do him (and the group) the most good. He can't even honestly say that bird, for example, just isn't for him, because he hasn't really played it. He plays a few runs and one of three things happens: 1) he realizes he's not really good at his char and works his rear-end off to make up for lost ground. He gets some other players to guide him and help him out and practices like a maniac and makes good. And for those folks, I have nothing but respect. They did it the hard way, but they did it. 2) He figures that if things went south with a group, it wasn't a good group or 3) he quits.

I haven't yet seen somebody that I'd call a natural at this game. It takes work to play a char well. Either you put the work in from the very beginning or you put it in at the end, but sometime or other, you'll have to do the work if you're going to be any good at it. At the beginning, it's pretty much a level playing field. You're with other beginners. They don't know beckon from a hole in the ground, so they're not liable to be yelling at you about it. When you get to 50 and up, people's expectations are higher. *They* know, so they feel you should know, too, and they've come to expect at least some level of skill from their companions. They are going to yell at you if you're a mage that never put points into Rez or Heal or a bear that doesn't know any skill but Stomp or a bird that thinks a Combo is some South American dance. They will loudly and sometimes pointedly discuss your lack of skill sets, usually in not very flattering terms. To put it another way, if you visit a surgeon, you don't want a medical student. If you're playing with a 55 or 56, it's somewhat surprising to be asked what a combo is (and yes, I've had that happen. Far more often than once.)

Personally? No skin off my nose if you want to power-level, just don't ask me to power-level you. My only exception is people I know's alts. I honestly don't quiz people I run with. With a lot (please note: not all) of people, I don't have to ask. I know.

Aikiebo
08-12-2011, 07:19 PM
There are two wordsi that people keep mixing up: leeching and power-leveling. Because people use XP elixirs when they leech, XP elixir usage has acquired some of the negativity associated with leeching. But these terms refer to two different things.

Leeching means getting drops or XP as a result of someone else's efforts. Generally someone high level joins someone low level in a low level map and does all the killing. The lowbie gets drops and XP but no kills.

Power-leveling refers to ANY means of acquiring XP quickly. But it is most often done by taking elixirs and killing only mobs together with four others who are on the same plan, skipping the boss, and remaking.

Everyone who runs in a group does some form of moderate leeching. The only way to avoid leeching is to play solo. This is not a problem.

Everyone who plays when the threat bubble is red is doing a moderate form of power-leveling. The only way to avoid that is to play in the level with white threat bubbles. This is also not a problem.

The only problem is when new players leech their way, with help from high level players, through the learning levels to the tricky zones. The reason is obviously because they don't learn the fundamentals.

But power-leveling is not in itself bad. Once you complete your quests in a zone and you are ready for the next one, but not high enough to go there, you should power-level by using elixirs.

I cant stand leeching. The only exception I can think of, is if the high level is completly aware of the upcoming leeching that is going to happen as is ok with that. I cant imagine why he would be unless he just doing it out of friendship, kindness (paying it forward), to return a favor.

I agree with what u saying on your post. I'm sad to hear that some are leeching while on elixirs. I know some people may think that this reflects poorly on elixirs. Not at all. Just one more reason why leeching is generally ridic.

The abdolutely BEST form of power leveling is elixrs. Either in groups or solo, depenfing on prefrence.

xero
08-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Can anybody here, without it sounding like personal opinion, say that there is a correct or "true" way of playing this game without it sounding like personal opinion? No.

While everyone here has valid reasons for being either pro or anti powerleveling, it seems to me like they are missing a crucial point: each individual's particular learning curve.

In the end, our individual abilities to grasp particular nuances of the game, decide how "good" or "bad" we are, at it.

Now personally, I'm against powerleveling (by that I mean I'm against newbies or lowbies riding on the coat-tails of a higher level player to gain xp and move on to the next area if the game).

Now, can we all just agree to disagree?

*lights a fire and starts singing "koombaya"*

WhoIsThis
08-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Now, can we all just agree to disagree?

*lights a fire and starts singing "koombaya"*

Unfortunately no.

Incompetent players can wipe out their entire groups when bosses like Gold Fever are taken into account or ignite fire vents, killing team members. If they were only harmful towards themselves, then this would be a non-issue.

Regardless of a player's learning curve, unless the person is highly experienced in prior MMOs, it's likely that power levelling will almost always, if not always lead to players who do not fully grasp the potential of their class and understand their role in a group.

Zerious
08-13-2011, 12:02 AM
power-leveling and skill/enjoyment of the game are totally independent.

Some are slow learners and might have 14k kills+ at 50 and still be a terrible role-player. (non-p. leveled)

Others may have like 1.5k kills at 50 and be a ridiculously talented and good at what they do. (p. leveled)

Some may enjoy the struggle, and repetitive grinding to 50 (non-p.leveled)

Others may enjoy the quickest way through the game (p.leveled).

There's nothing wrong with this, but leeching is wrong because it's basically stealing a p.level.

Aikiebo
08-14-2011, 02:58 PM

1. No one NEEDS to power level.

2. No one NEEDS to level the conventional way.

3. Every player has the right to pick which one. Or, in most cases, do some of both.

4. There are way more than two ways to learn how to play the game.

5. If a player only uses those two ways he is serverely limiting himself. However, he has that right to do that if wants to.

6. The word "best" indicates you are expressing your opinion vs. a fact. You certainly have the right to do that. However, in this particular case most people who play Pocket Legends would disagree with you.

CanonicalKoi
08-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Yes, everything anybody says here is going to be personal opinion. In my personal opinion (emphasis added), I expect to be part of someone's learning curve early in the game. I do not expect to *ETA* unknowingly play that role when they are level 55. I'm talking basics here, because we all continue (I would hope) to learn. When the whole group wipes because a 55 mage decides that they heard that pulling was great somewhere but doesn't know when/how to do it? Not fun. When a 55 bear wipes all the birds out for the fifth time because he didn't learn earlier or from the 4 previous goes in the dungeon that Taunt sets off fire grates? Also, not fun. When you're playing with an experienced "cornering" bear and the other 55 bear in the group keeps Beckoning the previously-gathered mob all over the place and mainly in my lap? That's about the time I exit before I say something rude. A 55 bird asking me how I keep getting that "Combo!" thing to show up over the bad guys? That leaves my jaw on the floor.

A level 55 dungeon is not the place to be learning the basics of your char unless you're running with friends willing to help you learn or you make it clear to all present that you're trying to learn how to do your job. Post on the forum, stand up in a Towne and say, "Would somebody help me learn combos/run with me while I learn/teach me how to X..." and I'll be all over that. Someone posing as a player that knows what the heck they're doing that wipes the whole party? My sympathy for them just isn't there. In spite of leveling "normally" a couple bears, I really suck as a tank (my thanks to Tvis, Haikus, Reddwing and Dethmetaler for making me better than I was). I don't inflict my poor tanking on others--I mainly solo or play with friends that know how truly awful I am. To put it another way, if you show up in Stronghold with a big, fat 55 next to your name, I'm going to assume you know the basics. If it turns out you power-leveled and never went back and learned, it feels like a bad bait-and-switch.

Redbridge
08-14-2011, 04:14 PM
CanonicalKoi, raises a really good point. Anyone who is honest with themselves and asks for help will not only probably get lots of offers but also will probably go up in lots of people's estimations.

All this talk of whether power-levelling is right or wrong could possibly have another negative side effect. Some people reading this could be worried about having low skill levels and be frightened to play in groups for fear of appearing a little out of their depth.

In most groups any player joins, if they're honest and say they would like a little assistance, or some feedback on how they're playing, the odd 'slip-up' would probably be overlooked.

So.... Does anyone fancy showing me how to play my bear again....LOL

Irulelol
08-14-2011, 04:23 PM
So if everyone sayin powerlevlin is bad cause the guy didnt know wat bekon is prove you know what it is and post what it is.

peeji
08-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Add Content

CrimsonTider
08-14-2011, 05:54 PM
So.... Does anyone fancy showing me how to play my bear again....LOL

Hmmmm... it's tempting... still thinking.... I'll get back to ya! hehe

Send me a pm in game! :)

thefirehawk
08-14-2011, 06:21 PM
that cracks my up every time

WhoIsThis
08-14-2011, 09:25 PM
So if everyone sayin powerlevlin is bad cause the guy didnt know wat bekon is prove you know what it is and post what it is.

The image shown at the first post was just an example of a much more widespread problem.

Aikiebo
08-14-2011, 09:55 PM

Hey, Monkeyman! Was this to me? If so, l'll do my best. I'll give ya what I got, ok? If not, just disregard this whole post, lol. I mean most people know all this stuff, but you were asking. So I thought I should answer.

Btw, is this just your way of trying to find out if it was really my name that was blacked out in that pic? Haha :)

Most mmo's have four archtypes:

1. Tank
2. Scout (melee dps)
3. Healer
4. Caster (blk magic, nukes, magic damage)

(Most games a lot of classes have usually a less stronger form of of another classes spells. So the above list is just basic, general description.)

All functionallity of any mmo is "all about the math". Nowhere is that more evident and easier to demonstrate than with the concept of "holding aggro". You know that you are one who HAS aggro if the mob is hitting you.

There are basically three ways to increase the chances of you being the one to have agro (for the purposes of this post, buff/debuffing, specific mobs programmed with specific sensibilites, and just getting too close and/or in los i'm not discussing). Those three ways are:

1. Taunting (some form of)
2. Healing (aka healer aggro)
3. Doing damage (melee or magic)

Everytime a player taunts a mob, heals a group member or attacks a mob there is a numerical value assigned to that action. That numerical value is associated with how angry the mob is with the various group members. So everytime we use a spell these numbers add up and whoever has the highest number is who the mob hits - I.e. this is the guy who has aggro.

Obviously, the game is using hugely complicated formulas at nano speed or whatever. The above explanation is a major over simplification.

Everyone is hoping that the tank is "committing more math" then anyone else in the group. "Committing more math" is almost like an inside joke. It's what we used to call it. What I mean by that is: if the tank is using the right skills in a basic good order, and everyone else is using their skills in a basic good order, then the tank is going to be able to HOLD aggro till that mob is dead.

See, when we use our skills we are building up a numerical value that tells the mob who to hit. Mmo's are designed so that if all group members are doing what they should be doing, the numerical value of the tanks skills (and any melee he is doing) will consistently be higher than the rest of the group. This will enable for him to HOLD aggro for the duration of that mobs life.

There is a difference between "holding aggro" and simply "having aggro". Anyone the mob hits "has aggro". For example, if someone does bit too much damage, the mob stops hitting the tank and starts hitting this other player. This guy now has aggo. Hopefully, the tank will taunt the mob off and start "holding aggro" again. It is hoped that the tank holds aggro for the duration of the fight. But if he does lose aggro, he needs to get it back.

Again, this whole post is an over simplification. The game is working at lightning speed using multiple formulas taking into account a ton of factors.

Most mmo's give various classes abilities to intervene in an emergency - like if the whole group is about to wipe. I'm not including these into this post either.

I'm a healer, through and through. I always play a healer first. I always play scout, tank and magic clssses too, but deep down I'm a healer. My first mmo, I'm a healer, my first healer ever, level 20ish when my tank friends start telling me about this spell they are going to be getting soon. Most of them didn't even know the name of it (we were all playing this game right after it came out and most of us this was our first mmo). But they would go on and on about how great things would be. This skill they were talking about was taunt. In this game u didn't get taunt, ANY taunt till level 25. They believed that I would never die again! Ha ha ha!

Otoh, I played a game where the tanks had by mid game, hmm... maybe 20 different taunts. Don't remember exactly. Why so many? First, there were many different kinds of taunts: the basic single target taunt, group taunt, also taunts that did dmg, or buff or debuff or healed. Second, we didn't have skillpoints like in Pocket Legends. Instead as we leveled up, we'd get stronger versions of the same spell. This created lines of spells. This was true for all jobs. Tanks had multiple lines of taunts, healers had multiple lines of heals, etc.

Ok, back to Pocket Legends. When I heard about this game, I was real, REALLY skeptical. I did not think that there was gonna be a true mmo experience on mobile phones. But when I started to play, I saw how wrong I was. As I analyzed it more and more I was stunned at how amazing this game is. I mean, yeah it is a genuine mmo experience. Streamlined (not diminished) for mobile phones and our mobile lifestyle. It's so good, it felt like I was looking at art. And, I dont mean the game graphics so much is it is do well done it's like a work if art.

All aspects of mmo's are here. But everything is streamlined or desinged to avoid HUGE problems in other mmo's. Some of what I am talking about is: group size, number of archtypes, number of spells like taunt and heal, closed instances, no running/warping everywhere, crafting, auto group/world map, cs, vendors, potions, etc. Everything is here - but streamlined.

One of these amazing things is the way three archyypes were developed out of four. Combining healers and casters is a natural combo. But the idea, that after the bear taunts, beckons, debuffs and stomps, he can, IF he DON'T have aggro AND if everything else is going as expected, he can take off for the next group of mobs and do the whole crowd-control thang again. This gets the next group of mobs ready for the rest of the group - who, in the meantime, has been killing off the first group of mobs as the tank was working on the second group.

This is exactly what scouts with ranged weapons used to do. But he would "pull" the mob(s) to the group. He would say "inc" or "incoming" when he was almost back to the group. This would alert everyone to be ready. Especially the tank who would have to taunt the mob off of the scout ASAP. Then everyone would do their thing.

This alters what I was saying above about the tank holding aggro till the end of the fight. In this game, that isn't always the most desired action, at least at high levels when important skills are close to or are maxed out.

Basically, Beckon is a group taunt that becomes way more when combined with a debuff and as appropriate, Stomp. Other mmo's have a powerful group taunt and a basic aoe attack for tanks. But...... none - to my knowkedge - have refined it and elevated it to near flagship status like Pocket Legends has. I really believe that this is a Pocket Legends innovation.

What defines a good group? Well, that is a pretty long explanation. But imo, the first part of that definition is "strong tank". Everyone is important, yes, yes, YES! But, imo it begins with a strong tank. The tank is the one out there taking a beating, trying to save his group by holding aggro - ftw. The tank is the one with the stones to get the job done.

Ok, back to Beckon. Hmm.. It's the last skill to unlock, like most it uses bit of mana, has a limited range and a bit of a cooldown. There's the whole pulling to a wall, cornor or tree. Related info: when bears use Stopm incorrectly, that's when they become known as a scatter bear.

Until about a week ago, I was leveling a bear old school. You all may not believe that. It is true. This month im super broke cuz of everything going on around here. No money for plat. (one exception, yesteray, I bought 20 dollars worth because of the deal of the day. But, I didn't use that on a bear. I am doing an experiment, used my cheap plat for that). I love the xp grind regardless of if it is old school or accelerated. He is a little killing machine, lol. I love having so much dex on him. I know, he doesn't do the dmg as other two classes. But, he does more than i'm used to as a tank in other games at his level. But, I love this toon and am having loads of fun.

Either before I joined this forum or shortly afterwards, I saw a fantastic video on youtube of a bear in BS using Beckon. It was amazing.

Anyway... If anyone is curious:

Level 22
Str 70
Dex 71
Int 1
Hit 84
Crit 10
Ddg 15
Hp 635/9
Mp 400/0
Dmg 95-114
Dps 149
Arm 33

If anyone had any comments, especially on these stats, that would be great. This post been super fun cuz of stroll down memory lane. Hope u guys wern't too bored, lol. But, i'm done for the night. Im not a very good typist. This took me forever. :)

Aikiebo
08-14-2011, 09:59 PM

The image shown at the first post was just an example of a much more widespread problem.

No it's not.

InfamousBacon
10-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Oh power lvling, how i adore you...

Fatpigwarrior
10-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Please don't post on old threads, almost 2 month old!!

NECROREAPER
10-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Oh necro posting, how I loathe you...

Seriously, read the forum rules before posting please...

Piosidon
10-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Ok let's make it last another 1 month

kingatdeath
10-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Ok let's make it last another 1 month
Ha!!!